Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

top 5 reasons to get this

SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

Well after participating in the third beta, I was so psyched for this game but since then my enthusiasm has gone somewhat. With so many great games out for me in the next 6 weeks, I'm actually tempted to completely give this a miss and was hoping some people here would give me a good slap across the face and remind me why this game is a must buy. 

My main reason for loving this game is the wvwvw.. I love large scale pvp and generally had a lot of fun and even managed to spend 7 hours non stop in the eternal battleground.. haven't gamed that long in ages. However, the lack of a real healing class I think will make it get boring after a while. Most people are scared to push and be aggressive so you end up with so many stand offs that it takes away some of the fun.. I'm hoping with a bit of experience people will find ways around this. 

Only reason I want to buy it is to support the devs. Their communication with their community is top notch and you really do get the feeling they care. After coming from SWTOR and how awful the communication was there, this reason alone almost makes me want to throw money at this game alone. 

Now the main reasons why I'm thinking of skipping this:

WoW.. blizz are sly old foxes releasing their expansion so close. I hate to admit it but despite generally getting bored of WoW after a month of going back, it always draws me in.. the lore, the world, the combat system.. it's all just first rate and I enjoy going around Azeroth far more than I did in GW2 in the beta. 

Time.. so many great games out for me in the next six weeks that I think I'm going to struggle to play this as much as I'd want. I know people will come back with "but there is no subscription " but in my eyes, it being buy to play is more likely to be detrimental to my playing experience than a postive. 

No subscriptions: It's not exactly f2p but neither was the original GW and generally worried that eventually the community will be overrun by 12 year olds who can't use Daddy's credit card.  Would much rather pay a subscription fee and access a premium server or something to decrease the likelyhood of a bad community.

So yeah, someone come slap me across the face and show me the errors of my ways as I really do want to get into this.

Comments

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

i'll do the opposite.

if you're still into WOW go play WOW.

when you invariably get tired of it, if GW2 is still kickin'.. and it probably will be.. pick it up and play it.  

but by all means, if you're into pandas and daily quest grinding go right on ahead and do what makes you happy.. GW2 isn't going anywhere.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

As I see it there is 3 main reasons.

1. Massive PvP

2. Massive PvE

3. Dungeons that are actually challenging

But if you want to wait 6 months until you are done with all those games, no problem. It is not the type of game you must start from day one (unlike Eve).

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    You do what you want to do, asking people to make your choices is showing what a weak person you are.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

If you are not on a super stringy budget (i.e. you're not getting "shut off" notices from the electric company, etc), there really is only needs to be one reason to get this:

It's an MMO with a one-time purchase fee to play from some of the original Blizzard team.

This alone makes it worth it.  You will at least get as much play time as you get from a typical video game...so, really, there is really no drawback here.

• MuratReisMuratReis Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by Loke666

As I see it there is 3 main reasons.

1. Massive PvP

2. Massive PvE

What do you mean by this?

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

If you're that into Azeroth by all means stay there. I don't mean it as a flame at all, just if you enjoy that kind of gameplay to that extent I don't see how GW2 is a good fit for you. 

Re: community, I don't think I've ever played a game with a worse community than WoW (well LoL actually comes to mind), and in my brief (but very intense) GW1 HoM grinding stint I found the people there to be mostly very nice and polite actually. So maybe they're well mannered 12yos... who knows!

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Your prolly going to regret playing MoP as Loke already said.
    MoP = daily quests till your eyes bleed.
    MoP = The same as Cataclysm nothing realy new
    WoW = WoW you get bored after a few weeks anyway.

GW2 provides the oposite of what WoW is.
    Better pvp
    no daily quests :D !!!!! YES YES YES !!!!
    WvWvW epic sieges with hundres of players.

Since you played wow your the only one to makde the decision of, Have i played wow enough or do i still want to do the same shit ive done the last years ?

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Well, Senden, if I may ask, why exactly did you leave WoW in the first place? Could it be because there's effectively no endgame in WoW except for whatever the latest raid it, or PvP? That you got bored with such minimal content actually available and viable to your max level characters? Seriously, think about it... you hit level cap, and if you're a raider you run the same raid over and over and over again until the next raid comes along. Oh, let's not forget those dailies that have you logging in, saying to guildies "Just doing my dailies", then logging out again on "off days" from raiding. Or perhaps you're doing some PvP, playing "Gear Wars" where the most resilience wins?

How does MoP break that cycle, if at all?

You know how vastly different from the WoW-mold GW2 is by now. You have a chance to get in on something new with a ton of potential from the ground floor, be a trailblazer in a new evolution of the genre where the world comes alive like never before and will move along whether you're there or not. Pandaria won't be going anywhere. The way it is on launch  will be exactly like it is a month, six months, a year from now. It'll wait for you if GW2 fails to keep you involved. You know this. Tyria, however, waits for no man.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    1 no raids
    2 no gear
    3 best themepark pvp in last 10 years (not as good as daoc or planetside though)
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Senden

No subscriptions: It's not exactly f2p but neither was the original GW and generally worried that eventually the community will be overrun by 12 year olds who can't use Daddy's credit card.  Would much rather pay a subscription fee and access a premium server or something to decrease the likelyhood of a bad community.

So yeah, someone come slap me across the face and show me the errors of my ways as I really do want to get into this.

On the contrary, every guild that I have been invited to are all mture players. Most in their 20s-30s all the way to 50+. although gw2 is not subscription based, the gameplay is very friendly towards players who have RL commitments outside the game and need a game with a more flexible schedule- something that is very attractive to people that are going to college, have jobs or families. not to mention, a lot of the mature players are more attracted to things like lore, story, immersion(guild wars2 main selling point) and are less so by gamesdriven by gear/power treadmills.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

I'll be playing mop too comes release, but as some poster have already pointed out, there will be more dailies , tabard no longer give dungeons reps, etc...

But i like to see the new pet battles, growing vege, monk and level my way to 90.

Once im bored i'll be back to gw2.

Play the game you enjoy pls, its your money, your time, your life.

RIP Orc Choppa

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    Anyone else tired of threads where someone asks you to make them want to play something? What's wrong with people? Make a decision on your own!
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

how about 60 reasons in 60 seconds :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzEqJAg8460

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

i'll do the opposite.

if you're still into WOW go play WOW.

when you invariably get tired of it, if GW2 is still kickin'.. and it probably will be.. pick it up and play it.  

but by all means, if you're into pandas and daily quest grinding go right on ahead and do what makes you happy.. GW2 isn't going anywhere.

makes sense to me

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

I don't mind supplying reasons to like GW2:

1) Its one of the easiest games to play with firends.

Most games, for various reasons, place multiple barriers to playing with friends. Server, Faction, Level, Quest Chain, etc. None of these are barriers in GW2. You can always play with friends.

2) You can get side-tracked

There are very few games where I can get side tracked from what I was doing, mostly sandbox games. Getting drawn into a story as you are passing by is a really organic and wonderful experience.

3) Three Faction PvP

Since DAoC, I've remained convinced that this is the absolute best way to do PvP. Huge, tense, battles.

4) Combat that keeps you on your toes

GW2's combat system is hevy on actiony elements like Positioning and Timing. This, along with the downed state, makes combat feel very tactical. It has a laser focus on whats fun, and trims away the irrelevancies.

5) DE's instead of Quests

DE's are the underpinning that make most of the game really work. If most people took the time to really examine them, they would realize just how amazing the system is. I've played most of the games that have attempted to use this formula i.e. WAR and Rifts, this is the best implementation yet, bar none.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

One reason, at least for me, although there are a ton more reasons I love this game.

1.  A true sense of discovery/wonder around every corner.  

That's it.  Like getting lost on purpose and how it's fun to do that sometimes, GW2 invokes this feeling well.   There is always something new and magical to discover and it doesnt' feel fake or just statically placed like other games(swtor, WAR, AoC).

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

for me its...

1. i'm bored

2. good pvp

3. its designed to be B2P so its not this restrictive crap all these converted F2P games are.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

how about 60 reasons in 60 seconds :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzEqJAg8460

If that doesn't answer the OP question I don't know what will .

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

My opinion is that you should stop looking for opinions to justify your opinions.

i.e. = play whatever the hell you want to. Why do people keep looking to be convinced by others? If the gameplay and betas didn't make you want to play, what makes you think someone talking at you about the game will change that?

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• CorrineCorrine Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Think for yourself -.-

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

What if I told you.....that some parents pay for their kid's WoW accounts.

*Grenth's bony finger beckons you* Come to the dark side.

MoP is certainly interesting but I just don't want to raid anymore, one thing I grew to hate in WoW was 'waiting to have fun'

Queued for dungeons as DPS, waiting for raids to form, waiting for raids to reset. I just hated the waiting I had to do in WoW. Buuuuut that doesn't mean raids are bad, I just don't enjoy the other stuff that comes with raiding XD

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Game isn't going anywhere. No reason to "force" or "convince' yourself to play something.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.