Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: How to Maintain

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Gaming is serious business these days and many of us spend a lot of time so doing. But there are certain things that we, as players, should be mindful of to keep a healthy balance in life. See what we mean in our latest Pokket Says column and then let us know what you think in the comments.

First off, I want to point out that it is extremely important that you eat properly when you play video games, especially if you play games as often as I do. It can become too cumbersome to have something that requires silverware, so it is better to stick to hand foods (hot pockets, pizza rolls, JIMMY JOHNS, you get the idea). Not only that, but you'll want to make sure it is on a disposable plate. Getting up and going to the kitchen can be quite a pain in the middle of the raid, so it is better to just be able to throw it away.

Read more of Hillary Nicole's Pokket Says: How to Maintain.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Diet Mtn Dew FTW.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,359
    Caffine my dear .... CAFFINE!
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Missed all the fapping in this picture.

5:24pm Playing.

7:26 Fapping

12:02am Eating

2am Fapping

2:15am Playing

3am Fapping

3:20am Playing

4am Fapping

4:30am Playing

5:35am Fapping

6am Playing

6:49am Fa....lling asleep.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

A comfortable chair that won't give you swamp ass.

Keurig k-cups ftw.

• YellowbearddYellowbeardd Member UncommonPosts: 83
    You can't lose sleep if you have a job that requires full energy to get through the day , so get a job at wal-mart so you can be lazy and sleep and get paid so you can play all night, but for me i can't but one day , one day hehe.
  • gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Wish pokket would be able to convince to my girlfriend to game with me instead of watch reality tv and complain about me gaming. Ha.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    Wish pokket would be able to convince to my girlfriend to game with me instead of watch reality tv and complain about me gaming. Ha.

Are we dating the same woman ?!?!?!?!....Mine will watch Keping up with the Kardashians, then bitch about me playing a video game.......

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Dont play skinner box loot grinders that encorage such behaviour. Play games that are a fun thing to do to enhance your leisure time rather than as a substitute for a real life.
  • SircaSirca Member UncommonPosts: 110
    I am doing ok, no worry.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Lol I feel you on that too, I just think its hilarious when I get ragged on about video games yet the same people sleep more hours than there is in a day, watch more tv,..... I always say how can you rag on me, when all you do is read books, sleep, watch tv, play guitar,.... I realize gaming can become a bit obsessive for some, but seriously, I eat right, I workout almost everyday, I have a sweet job, good pay, awesome benefits, I make time for family and friends...... If I want to chill out in the evenings with some intense pvp action instead of watching tv, reading books, playing guitar, knitting or whatever in the hell people are doing, then let me be, I'm not bitching at you because you are doing what you want, just keep it cool already.
  • Just play Guild Wars 2, duh.
  • SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

Pokket, in that quote is the perfect suggestion for your next article.

"How to convince the girlfriend to share the passion for gaming" aka "How to nerdify your gf". I'm sure your insights as a girl could save some of us men countless of those horrible hours of sleeping on the couch after gaming nights or even worse - cuddling to make up!

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Good thing with a delivery service is, that when you have the meal brought, you can for example do "small" things while eating (crafting or so) *giggle* So no walk to the kitchen needed at all. Just a quick run to the door. *Hrhrhr*
  • XarnthalXarnthal Member Posts: 130

lol @ casual gamers

Microwave, Keurig Machine, Hot Pockets, K-Cups, a few gallons of water, and wireless headphones for when your bladder is going to explode. You're golden (hopefully not literally)

Healthy lifestyle? I really hope no one thinks sitting in front of a computer for hours on end is healthy. It is fun though and that is what matters in the end.

Sennheiser
    Assist
    Thage

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Are we dating the same woman ?!?!?!?!....Mine will watch Keping up with the Kardashians, then bitch about me playing a video game.......

My wife is in the same boat, but it's Project Runway. Then she'll spend, literally, HOURS on Facebook, Pinterest, and blogs everyday, and still manages to complain about me spending a few hours on the weekends gaming.

I've tried countless things to get her to game with me, but for some people it just isn't, and will never be, an option. As much fun as it would be read an article about the topic, I don't believe there's any way to convince someone to find joy in an activity that doesn't interest them in the least.

The best suggestion I can think of, if gaming with you partner is important to your relationship, is to find and date someone who games in the first place.

• SlayblazeSlayblaze Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Diet Mtn Dew - YES. SO much tastier than regular dew, it's sharper and has a little bite to it. Get used to drinking diet dew and then try a taste of regular to compare them, regular tastes more "round" and dull and lifeless. Diet Dew FTW..!
  • nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    I was really hoping more for a guide on how to gain 10 pounds a week, quit your job, quit school, and be able to hold off your creditors while you continue to play your favorite game 20 hours a day!!!
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    ^^ I know people like that, its sad. The thing is too, if they really enjoy gaming that much, they should be considering the sustainability of thier habit. That comes in the form of taking care of yourself and those that depend on you first. Hot pockets in moms basement won't last very long, but a good balanced life will.
  • William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by Slayblaze
    Diet Mtn Dew - YES. SO much tastier than regular dew, it's sharper and has a little bite to it. Get used to drinking diet dew and then try a taste of regular to compare them, regular tastes more "round" and dull and lifeless. Diet Dew FTW..!

Except the sugar supplement in diet soda is linked to cancer from prolonged consumption.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Dont play skinner box loot grinders that encorage such behaviour. Play games that are a fun thing to do to enhance your leisure time rather than as a substitute for a real life.

Exactly why I intend to play GW2,   between cycling, gym and P90X as well as my 2 little girls and my job, I just don't have the time to commit to gaming as entertainment.

People should find the game to fit the lifestyle not the lifestyle to fit the game.

If you can't/won't then as sad as it sounds to most replace the processed crap you have at hand and your energy drinks with dun dun dun fruit and ginseng or such like based bars or drinks.    The rare occasion I do game into the wee hours I find nothing better than a green tea or ginseng tea than a coffee that will give you a short term pick up but only leave you worse.

Is that next bit of EPIC gear really worth a heart attack by 40.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

I <3 Pokket. Too funny XD

Edited: because I can be dumb and condescending when I don't mean to be :b This is better.

• voxnorvoxnor osMember Posts: 121
    Originally posted by William12
    Originally posted by Slayblaze

Except the sugar supplement in diet soda is linked to cancer from prolonged consumption.

Just a quick note on this - it's actually a common misconception. Feel free to check out the FDA official reports.

You'll be hard pressed to find a reliable study that shows the current substitute sweetners are linked to cancer when used during prolonged periods in moderateion.

• ajayazirajayazir Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by Theocritus

lol this.... I work at a place where it is 43 ladies and myself as the only dude.... when I first told them I was a gamer... everyone told me that I was wasting my time. So I asked them what they did at home for entertainment.... and almost everyone answered reality TV...... -_- 

• HapcorrolrHapcorrolr Member Posts: 5
    Take it from someone who has cancer and is getting chemotherapy right NOW... You don't want that shizz. Stay healthy peeps, and live to game another day.
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    i refuse to play games that feel like jobs and not entertainment.