Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many booked time off for launch?

DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Asking my online friends who are planning to play GW2, most of them have sheduled time off work to play the game. Another friend I know booked a whole week off for the wow expansion release in september.

I myself booked monday off for a 3 day weekend, how about everyone else, how many of your potential days in the sun are you investing into the GW2 launch?

Comments

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Originally posted by Dragonantis

Asking my online friends who are planning to play GW2, most of them have sheduled time off work to play the game. Another friend I know booked a whole week off for the wow expansion release in september.

I myself booked monday off for a 3 day weekend, how about everyone else, how many of your potential days in the sun are you investing into the GW2 launch?

Two days for me, Monday and Tuesday,

I get 4 weeks total vacation a year and I figured using 1/2 of one of those weeks (I work 10 hour days, 4 day work week) was reasonable for a game that I am looking forward to more than any game released in the past 5+ years.

I also think it's pretty awesome that after my 5 day marathon of playing I only have to work 2 days and then it's a 4 day weekend due to the holiday the following week. image

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Next Monday is a public holiday here in the UK so have three days to enjoy the head start :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Not me.. *cough* I might be coming down with something though that makes me take a few days off.
  • ajayazirajayazir Member Posts: 108
    What's is this so called "booked time off"? Is that what people with jobs do?
  • xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

No time off since I have a toddler and wife that aggro 24 hrs lol.

Just play as much as possible when both of them are asleep.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• KrossliteKrosslite Member Posts: 317
    I work 3rd shift so i am already off friday night. But I did make Sunday nite a vacation day

A MMO is like life. It is something to cherish and enjoy upon in it journey. So why race to the end of it. In life at the end you die.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

lmao...

people actaully take time off for a game?

thats ridiculous,no wonder people cut through MMO's in a matter of weeks....or should I say in a matter of sick days?

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Im surprised that people take time off for playing Guild Wars 2. I really look forward to this game, its great and all that...

But seriously? Its getting opened here saturday morning (Denmark), and that means i have both saturday and sunday to play this game. I will look forward to get free from my work so I can get home and play it, but I dont want to play it" to death" the first couple of days.

This game doesnt punish you, if you dont live in Tyria.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Yeah I got sat/sun off as always. Probally be able to come back on thursday
  • pratikrath86pratikrath86 Member Posts: 79

Cant unfortunately .. this game released a week too late .. just got done with a month of almost no work and then tommorow finishing a 4 day weekend .... Due to Ramadan and Eid ( Islamic Holidays + Living in the middle East) ... if only the game had released a week earlier i would have taken more than a few days off with no consequences at work. 

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

I don't work at weekends and since it starts at saturday everything is good. :)

However, I took payed vacations for monday, tuesday and wendsday cause I have a few other appointments and for the game additionaly.

5 days to go! :)

Originally posted by tank017

lmao...

thats ridiculous,no wonder people cut through MMO's in a matter of weeks....or should I say in a matter of sick days?

Why do you think it is ridiculous?

Isn't the point of paid vacation so that you can relax and enjoy yourself?    Isn't the point of gaming to relax and enjoy yourself?

I'm not seeing how the two are anything but compatable.  Please enlighten us to how you see there being some kind of alignment issue between them and what is a "better" way to spend vacation time if you are a avid gamer?

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504
    Well the game release at 5pm saturday here :) that's just fine for me.
  • CohasCohas Member UncommonPosts: 152
    My Wife a daughter are going out of town that friday night before head start, I have also taken time off work the monday and tuesday.  So I get 4 days of just pure play time

Have No Fear Cohas is here!!!

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Originally posted by Loke666
    Not me.. *cough* I might be coming down with something though that makes me take a few days off.

You baddy its your faulth healt costs increased so much !!!!!!! slacker !!

j/k :)

Come October i need to undergo a surgery on my Knee, will be a tuff operation but right know i cant even walk properly without massive pain.

So i have alot of free time xD

Then its 6 months of heavy work to learn to walk again so dunno if i can even play GW2 :(

• KanubisKanubis Member Posts: 112
    The opposite for me - away for 10 days on business, leaving on Friday. At least the early DEs shouldn't be such zerg-fests by the time I start I suppose!
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

All week.....Really really need a vacation anyway, it's been a year.

I have a bad habit of planning things to do with people, but not this time.......I'll keep my mouth shut, and make no plans but to play and go to the gym.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    used my remaining 9 days of holiday that were unbooked this year, so yes im guilty for booking time off at launch =p
  • FaderonFaderon Member Posts: 4

I took the entire week after launch off.

I figured I had to, since if I wouldn't have, then I would just sit at my computer at work, thinking about the game, and not produce anything at all for the entire week...

And that's pretty bad, considering I am the System Architect and Lead Developer for the company's main system.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

lmao...

People take time off so they can go to an island, get trashed and probably catch somthing nasty.

Now tell me that taking time off for somthing you find fun is bad again.

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266
    Took two weeks off. What, you guys outside Russia arent entitled to a one month per year paid holiday? Well, i used half of mine this year to get two weeks after launch vacated for Guild Wars 2. Whats wrong with that? Should i have preferred lying on some God forsaken beack doing nothing except swimming and getting sunburned and eating local cuisine? I prefer intellectual and involved vacations, so Guild Wars 2 is one of them for me.
    Originally posted by Sciva

lmao...

People take time off so they can go to an island, get trashed and probably catch somthing nasty.

Now tell me that taking time off for somthing you find fun is bad again.

You've just unlocked the Logical Internet Hero achievement!

Originally posted by IstrebiteI
    Took two weeks off. What, you guys outside Russia arent entitled to a one month per year paid holiday? Well, i used half of mine this year to get two weeks after launch vacated for Guild Wars 2. Whats wrong with that? Should i have preferred lying on some God forsaken beack doing nothing except swimming and getting sunburned and eating local cuisine? I prefer intellectual and involved vacations, so Guild Wars 2 is one of them for me.

In Sweden we get 5 weeks payed vacation!

I think it's mainly the USA that has 2 weeks.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    I have the full week off and a fairly light schedule the week after that. Then I'll need to moderate my GW2. However, for those two weeks? I'll be playing it like it was my job, a very fun job exploring a beautiful, far off land. :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by Faderon
    Originally posted by IstrebiteI

In Sweden we get 5 weeks payed vacation!

I think it's mainly the USA that has 2 weeks.

In the USA it actually depends on where you work and how long you have worked there.  Most companies start you at 1 or 2 weeks and then give you 1 extra week for every 3-5 years you work for them.  Capping you at 4 to 5 weeks.   Some companies are stingier than that though, and others are even more generous.  My father had 8 weeks of vacation per year when he retired, for example...but my company stops give you more after you earn 5 weeks at 15 years.

Also, if you work for the US government, you get more days off than you work each year..... >.<