Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Excellent game. Too bad its unplayable.

AbdiellAbdiell Member UncommonPosts: 102

I've been playing Vanguard pretty heavily since Tuesday, and I have to say that the game is extremely fun. The difficulty level is through the roof compared to current MMO's, and the variety in play style is refreshing.

The world is HUGE, and beautiful with maxed out settings on my 1080p 42" screen. I haven't found any limitations so far that require a trip to the cash shop, so it seems to be the perfect F2P.

Too bad I can't play. The bugs from 3 years ago are still there, and falling through the earth, unresponsive combat, and lagging out to charater selection are all too common. I can get past the terrible quest tracker ( I can always read the quest!), I can get past the awkward combat delay (not lag generated, just built that way), and I can get past the so hard as to be ridiculous group quests if the game would allow me to get past them. I would love nothing more than to just deal with minor flaws and look forward to patches like I did in the Vanilla WoW days, but I can't do any of that if I can't play the game!

It is so frustraing to spend half an hour trudging through some group quest, hoping to god I don't die and have to start over only to have the game lag so bad it disconnects me and rolls back my quest progress, or even worse come back and have a million mobs spawned on me. 

I hope with the influx of cash, SOE develops this game quickly because I REALLY want to play. I just dont want to become invested in a 5 year old beta.

Comments

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    I think they're working to bolster the server after years of it limping along.
  • mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Have not had one singel of your issues. Been playing f2p Vanguard for like 30 hours. Hopefully you will be able to play :)
    Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    only lag ive had is near and in cities,other than that ive been fine.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Game is very playable.

But it can be cranky. if that is a game breaker then it is what it is.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RribRrib Member Posts: 49

I plan to give it aother try tomorrow.

But it the game is as 'cranky' as it was tonight then i'll probably give up. Last straw tonight was when the game locked up after listing members in the guild. It's too bad - there is so much potential but like the op I'm also frustrated trying to play and always having to try to adapt because of poor mechanics and bugs.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by mymmo
    Have not had one singel of your issues. Been playing f2p Vanguard for like 30 hours. Hopefully you will be able to play :)

To all saying they not seeing what the OP posted is either blind or mental. The game does have a lag to it. It does drop you to CS. Now dont get me wrong the game is a billion times more playable then at launch.  And im still trucking it out in hopes of a fix soon.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Same here. 26 hours of Vanguard last week, and no problem other than the loading stutter when crossing chunks.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

This is pretty much my take on it too. Too many of the same bugs that killed VG when it was launched are still there. Huge performance issues even on very capable hardware, massive lag spikes, constantly crashing zones and broken quests are just a few of the things that make me not want to play this game.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Goldknyght

To all saying they not seeing what the OP posted is either blind or mental. The game does have a lag to it. It does drop you to CS. Now dont get me wrong the game is a billion times more playable then at launch.  And im still trucking it out in hopes of a fix soon.

To bad that people lag in the game, while this seems to excist in most games, for some reason even at launch I didn't have lag issue's. People where actually amazed when I shot a couple of fraps movies back then that showed no lag on highest settings.

So something keeps telling me that many people aint able to configure their pc's to properly game. Cause in all honosty I read so many things about performance issue's or lag in so many games yet I myself hardly encounter those issue's with these games.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by quasar941

This is pretty much my take on it too. Too many of the same bugs that killed VG when it was launched are still there. Huge performance issues even on very capable hardware, massive lag spikes, constantly crashing zones and broken quests are just a few of the things that make me not want to play this game.

Why must you be so exaggarating?

Yes the occassional disconnects from social server are annoying, there are maybe a few bugged quests and the chunking isnt the best, but there isn't any real competition on market right now for this sort of gameplay. The game requires dedication and patience, and so does its technical aspect. There aren't any huge performance issues that you describe and the game runs well in terms of FPS.

REALITY CHECK

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by Reklaw

To bad that people lag in the game, while this seems to excist in most games, for some reason even at launch I didn't have lag issue's. People where actually amazed when I shot a couple of fraps movies back then that showed no lag on highest settings.

So something keeps telling me that many people aint able to configure their pc's to properly game. Cause in all honosty I read so many things about performance issue's or lag in so many games yet I myself hardly encounter those issue's with these games.

I didnt lag at launch. I've chalked the lag in the game to new traffic and a rent a server that SoE has place VG on. Maybe the EU server doesnt lag cuz the NA one does. And by lag a lag spike. you will be playing and then BAM red on the ms meter and then u back to normal. and sometimes it kickes u to CS. I didnt believe it till it happend to me yesterday. So there is bugs i know u VG lovers will deny this just like u did at launch. There is a guy on this forums who i had many of arguments with over VG and im sure he will be one of the people saying they dont exsists.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Reklaw

I didnt lag at launch. I've chalked the lag in the game to new traffic and a rent a server that SoE has place VG on. Maybe the EU server doesnt lag cuz the NA one does. And by lag a lag spike. you will be playing and then BAM red on the ms meter and then u back to normal. and sometimes it kickes u to CS. I didnt believe it till it happend to me yesterday. So there is bugs i know u VG lovers will deny this just like u did at launch. There is a guy on this forums who i had many of arguments with over VG and im sure he will be one of the people saying they dont exsists.

Well unlike you I do believe people lag in these games, I just mentioned that I personaly didn't lag, which doesn't mean no one should or could lag. As said I do believe that part is a proper configered gaming system, but obviously there are many server/hardware sides from the game itself that might not be properely configered to be good playable on most systems.

Originally posted by Thillian
    Originally posted by quasar941 This is pretty much my take on it too. Too many of the same bugs that killed VG when it was launched are still there. Huge performance issues even on very capable hardware, massive lag spikes, constantly crashing zones and broken quests are just a few of the things that make me not want to play this game.
    Why must you be so exaggarating?

Yes the occassional disconnects from social server are annoying, there are maybe a few bugged quests and the chunking isnt the best, but there isn't any real competition on market right now for this sort of gameplay. The game requires dedication and patience, and so does its technical aspect. There aren't any huge performance issues that you describe and the game runs well in terms of FPS.

Just because your gameplay experience was different from mine doesn't mean that I am "exaggerating" anything.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I don't see SoE investing significant amount of money into Vanguard.

SoE knows that this game is already 5 years old. There is only 2 servers and only 1 of them directly under SoE. (or soon-to-be since their EU deal with Alleplaya / Pro7)

To fix Vanguard issues - it would require singificant amounf of man-hours.  Getting new hardware for server maybe.

I just don't see it happening.  SoE will do some content updates, some cash shop updates & enlargement, but if you're expecting huge fixes,  huge game rebirth, engine updates, new animations, new network code, etc  <-- you will not see that.

SoE just want to cash in on re-release as f2p and attracting nostalgia players + some random f2p crowd

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

I always enjoy reading conclusion made out of thin air, and written here supossedly being fact with no basis whatsoever. We just don't know what will happen yet. Yes you can predict what you want, that is fine, but don't write that this and that WILL happen, because we just don't know. I don't think the model will do great either, but I am sure as hell gonna ejoy it while I Can and hopefully be part of the solution. Even though with all it's faults, the experience and the game is unique, there is just no other game out there that is like vanguard, so for me that is reason enough to support it.

Ive had some lag too, not too often though. I have fallen through the earth one time, and as far as my impression goes, I just can't see something like that happening all the time. But just because one guy doesn't have problem, doesnt mean player X have no problems. But don't lie, just tell it how it is, we get it you have problems, but don't write it happens all the time, because that is pretty much impossible.

That said I hear about a lot of people who enjoy the game, but will leave because of the chunks and social server sometimes failing. A real damn shame, and you would think that if they actually enjoyed the game they would give it some time, as I'm sure it will improve. But at the same time there is too many games out there, to "waste" it on something that doesn't work satisfactory to you.

About the dying thing, I can understand that people who doesn't like the way Vg handles it, that it must be frustrating, for me its different and part of the charm. I have yet to dc and logging to be surrounded by enemies. And if I do, the good thing is that you have several seconds where you are invulnerable so that you can move AWAY if that thing happens. Makes me wonder if you really have experienced that issue, or you are just adding things out of thin air to add to your frustration. I'm just speculating, not claiming anything so don't go ape shit on me. The point is, you can avoid being surrounded when you login - but maybe that is just at lower leves, so I could very well be wrong here.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Lagging back to character selection happens to m eabout every half hour. The last tiem when it kicked me out while fighting a group quest boss was enough to make me not want to play until it gets fixed. Besides that it's a great themepark MMO.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

If bugs are still not fixed within 3 years it means developers are to incompetand to fix the buggs.
    Wich means they are bad realy realy realy bad, wich means /uninstal.

Seen to many bad shit happen and i can live with bugs when i know they get fixed, if things dont get fixed iam out.

Lots of choice these days and with Planetside 2 / Guildwars 2 / AA in the horizon etc etc etc we can spend our time on better games.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Abdiell

I've been playing Vanguard pretty heavily since Tuesday, and I have to say that the game is extremely fun. The difficulty level is through the roof compared to current MMO's, and the variety in play style is refreshing.

The world is HUGE, and beautiful with maxed out settings on my 1080p 42" screen. I haven't found any limitations so far that require a trip to the cash shop, so it seems to be the perfect F2P.

Too bad I can't play. The bugs from 3 years ago are still there, and falling through the earth, unresponsive combat, and lagging out to charater selection are all too common. I can get past the terrible quest tracker ( I can always read the quest!), I can get past the awkward combat delay (not lag generated, just built that way), and I can get past the so hard as to be ridiculous group quests if the game would allow me to get past them. I would love nothing more than to just deal with minor flaws and look forward to patches like I did in the Vanilla WoW days, but I can't do any of that if I can't play the game!

It is so frustraing to spend half an hour trudging through some group quest, hoping to god I don't die and have to start over only to have the game lag so bad it disconnects me and rolls back my quest progress, or even worse come back and have a million mobs spawned on me. 

I hope with the influx of cash, SOE develops this game quickly because I REALLY want to play. I just dont want to become invested in a 5 year old beta.

The "lagging to death" scenario is normally caused by a bad connection somewhere between SOE's servers and you. What you need to do is research into doing "Line Tests" on your connection based on SOE's servers. I believe the way I did it last time was watched where my computer tried to connect to when I logged into an SOE server. I then took that IP and did line-tests and traceroutes to it.

Ended up 2weeks back and forth on the phone with my provider telling them their Tier3 provider in Georgia was fubared as I was getting a 18% packetloss through that hop. Took them a month to get it fixed, and I've been fine ever since :).

Oh, an you might want to double check and make sure your Ethernet ports on your PC aren't the issue first. Doing linetests helps with that too.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Excellent game but unplayable pretty much sums up my experience with Vanguard all those years ago.
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

The "lagging to death" scenario is normally caused by a bad connection somewhere between SOE's servers and you. What you need to do is research into doing "Line Tests" on your connection based on SOE's servers. I believe the way I did it last time was watched where my computer tried to connect to when I logged into an SOE server. I then took that IP and did line-tests and traceroutes to it.

Ended up 2weeks back and forth on the phone with my provider telling them their Tier3 provider in Georgia was fubared as I was getting a 18% packetloss through that hop. Took them a month to get it fixed, and I've been fine ever since :).

Oh, an you might want to double check and make sure your Ethernet ports on your PC aren't the issue first. Doing linetests helps with that too.

That's not in my job desription. I'm not here to troubleshoot my providers network. I have no problems like this on any other SOE game I've ever played. I think you need to accept the fact that this game is not perfect. 

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Lagging back to character selection happens to m eabout every half hour. The last tiem when it kicked me out while fighting a group quest boss was enough to make me not want to play until it gets fixed. Besides that it's a great themepark MMO.

The same thing happened to me yesterday. The Tursh zone crashed repeatedly and it wasn't just me because people started yelling "CRASH!" in region chat just as soon as it froze. After the fourth crash, I gave up and went back to playing EQ2 instead.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Just read the chat channel on the Island of Dawn. People regularly have pings of 9999ms including myself. The thing is once you get off the starter Island it's not an issue anymore, well at least it's not for me so far. So my suggestion would be for people to start in one of the other areas and skip the starter Island untill SOE fixes the issue.

No signature, I don't have a pen

Originally posted by Lazarus71
    Just read the chat channel on the Island of Dawn. People regularly have pings of 9999ms including myself. The thing is once you get off the starter Island it's not an issue anymore, well at least it's not for me so far. So my suggestion would be for people to start in one of the other areas and skip the starter Island untill SOE fixes the issue.

It's happening in some of the other zones, too: Veskall's Exchange (ok so technically not a startup zone but still), Tursh, and whatever the name of the startup area close to Khal is called. I haven't tried any of the others yet.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I've had some of these issues as well, however, saying the game is "unplayable" is being overly dramatic.  I haven't played much since the ftp conversion, maybe the issues are much worse now.  
  • Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Just have to say, when every other piece of software, gaming or not, runs fine on one's computer it is not your ISP's fault that one game is lagging like crap. ISPs can do many wrong and annoying things, but Vanguard is not one of them. Of course in your case you did find a weak spot in the network, but all paths leading to Vanguard are not strewn with broken nodes. I did play briefly off the island and their was no noticable lag but of course on the island it's just constant inexusable lag breaks. I am having fun with the old schoolish feel and it does bring me back to the old EQ days, but as one poster said, if SOE is willing to say screw it, we'll let the intro island play like garbage, then they really wont be puting much effort into this game and who knows when they will just kill it all together.