Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feedback on our GW2 Clan Website

DepartedSoulDepartedSoul Member UncommonPosts: 99

Hello everyone! The time is almost at hand. Soon we can roam the lands of Tyria and explore the depths of its catacombs and dungeons!

In anticipation for this, our Clan, Eternal Reverie created a Flash website for the cause.

We would like some feedback from the community on what you guys think of the design, music, etc.  We have a "roleplaying" element to everything, and a pretty in depth ranking system in our forum for anyone who wants to check it out.

We toss out some RP from time to time, in game, but mainly focus on PvP and dungeon crawling. But enough of that!

What do you guys think of this! http://www.ClanReverie.com

Please note it is still under construction, mostly the forums!

When a man lies... he murders some part of the World.

Comments

• pratikrath86pratikrath86 Member Posts: 79
    A+ for the music :)

• DepartedSoulDepartedSoul Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by pratikrath86
    A+ for the music :)

Thank you , we thought it fit in pretty well with the theme we were running with for our ranking system, with each rank falling under a different phase of the moon. The descriptions are pretty epic

• pratikrath86pratikrath86 Member Posts: 79

Is it a Military RP guild ? if so think you should mention it ( if you had sorry i didnt notice) .. and if not you should mention it also .. it comes across as a military RP a bit , it might be casual RP ... though personally i have nothing against RP at all,

Anyway GL with the Guild Mate ... and i Hope you bring glory to your brothers in the battle field :) 

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

1. Do not EVER create a flash website unless you have very specific needs that can only be done with flash. Even then, try to only build that part in flash. All of that can be done quite easily with html/css and javascript (use jQuery why not), and it will look better and be easier to maintain. As of now you are limiting your site in so many different ways. iPhones wont be able to see it, android phones can load it but the experience will be horrible. A slower/older computer will cough blood from opening it.

2. The important content of the page is pushed to a tiny space on the right hand side which slowly fades in and out for no reason (if it must fade, make it loads faster, people dont have mutch patience these days). The prime estate is filled with an image that does nothing to promote your guild, it's just there to fill space, while the important parts are in the shadows of this image.

3. The overall design is quite poor, and the colors aren't very attractive. I can recomend this tool to find a color palette (http://kuler.adobe.com/). It lets you pick a "main color" and then gives you a variety of ways to find complimentary colors, or contrast colors etc, which are appealing to the eye in fits nicely together.

4. The content is weak and uninteresting. Give more thought to what you want to say and how you want it said. Ask yourself questions like "What is my ultimate goal with this?" and "What do i want people to feel when the arrive here?" and "How can i deliver my desired experience without distracting the user?".

+1 for effort

-10 overall

Just scrap it and do it again, you'll get better at it each time :)

Originally posted by pratikrath86

Is it a Military RP guild ? if so think you should mention it ( if you had sorry i didnt notice) .. and if not you should mention it also .. it comes across as a military RP a bit , it might be casual RP ... though personally i have nothing against RP at all,

Anyway GL with the Guild Mate ... and i Hope you bring glory to your brothers in the battle field :) 

We actually aren't an RP clan, we just have some RP elements to make things more interesting than the norm. We are a PvP oriented clan, and enjoy dungeon running, etc.

We have been established as a top tier PvP Clan in every game we have chosen to follow and compete in, for several years ;)

Originally posted by timtrack

iPhones wont be able to see it, android phones can load it but the experience will be horrible. A slower/older computer will cough blood from opening it.

We havent had  any problems for about 9 years now using the same programs. It never fails to draw in a large amount of people.

We are always one of the top Clans in any game we choose to compete in.

2. The important content of the page is pushed to a tiny space on the right hand side which slowly fades in and out for no reason (if it must fade, make it loads faster, people dont have mutch patience these days). The prime estate is filled with an image that does nothing to promote your guild, it's just there to fill space, while the important parts are in the shadows of this image.

Maybe you arent understanding what "Reverie" is? It is another word for dream, which is why the text fades in and out. The image clearly represents souls of the dead, as described in the text that you must not have read through.

As for patience, I'm not sure why someone would be rapidly clicking through a website of this nature. Those most certainly are not the quality of people we are searching for.

3. The overall design is quite poor, and the colors aren't very attractive. I can recomend this tool to find a color palette (http://kuler.adobe.com/). It lets you pick a "main color" and then gives you a variety of ways to find complimentary colors, or contrast colors etc, which are appealing to the eye in fits nicely together.

Could you provide an example of a superior site? We've had nothing but compliments about the "cool factor" of our website, and as stated before we have always been a top Clan in any game we follow.

Allies enjoy to be represented and linked to our site, as well as Clan members of the month, etc.

4. The content is weak and uninteresting. Give more thought to what you want to say and how you want it said. Ask yourself questions like "What is my ultimate goal with this?" and "What do i want people to feel when the arrive here?" and "How can i deliver my desired experience without distracting the user?".

Did you even read anything provided on the site?     "Give more thought to what we want to say"?

The message is very clear on what people should feel when they arrive to our site. If you cannot gather anything from the music, the text involved, and the image presented to you...

Then perhaps you just like a more simplistic, mechanical, easy to comprehend theme to follow.

+1 for effort

-10 overall

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Well, do you want feedback or praise? Besides, he's right about Flash. It's heavy and outdated.

Feedback, of course. But it's easily seen that this person did not comprehend the entire theme or meaning of anything represented by the site. The music , the text involved, and the image are all represented to form around our ranking system.

Flash is heavily used by almost every website out there, you can see it everywhere.

• belerenbeleren Member Posts: 63

A IMHO superior site. Not my guild thou: http://www.gweu.net/

What I understand from how you handled the feedback, what you really want is compliments not criticism. Have fun in game.

• TenjouTenjou Member Posts: 20
    Only 50% of product is idea behind it, remaining 50% is how third party receives is. If it doesn't and you have to correct them on how they receive it then you have a problem. Web main idea is thoses last 50% and you should do them as best as possible. 
    Originally posted by beleren

A IMHO superior site. Not my guild thou: http://www.gweu.net/

What I understand from how you handled the feedback, what you really want is compliments not criticism. Have fun in game.

That is a very clean site, I agree.

But if someone can read through the text on our site and then read about our ranks, see the image presented to them, and listen to the lyrics of the music. And still ask what we are trying to say... then they just aren't getting it, or our style probably isnt for them.

Nothing wrong with that.

Not everyone understands messages being relayed in media. Books, movies, etc may not relay their message cleary to one, but could impact others.

Originally posted by Tenjou
    Only 50% of product is idea behind it, remaining 50% is how third party receives is. If it doesn't and you have to correct them on how they receive it then you have a problem. Web main idea is thoses last 50% and you should do them as best as possible. 

Agreed. People receive the site differently and you can't please everyone. The same can be said of any book, movie, game etc =)

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

I'm not willing to judge the content of the site since that's a very personal thing, but in my opinion, forcing people to enable/use flash to even see something on your site is a bad idea. So is throwing any kind of music in the face of the random visitor.

Now to each his own... if you are happy with your guild site, who am I to disagree :)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

I havent known very many people who do not have flash for one reason or another. I am no expert however.

The music can easily be turned off, as well ;)

No one is forced to visit the site. It's there for the people who choose to be represented by it. As Alliance members or as a member of the month, etc.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

I agree with the others, if people wanted to watch a movie, they'd be watching youtube.  

Considering your own clan will spend 100% of their time in the forums, you are spending way too much time on the front matter.  Keep it simple and concise.  It's what people are looking for.  Consider for a moment that visitors may be surfing the site from work or school... in which case the audio is totally inappropriate and will discourage visitors.  

If what is being written to the far left in tiny text is what you want your visitors to see, I suggest making it more prevalent and easier to read.  Most people aren't even going to look at it because it breaks all the rules of basic design.  You're basically directing the reader away from it or directing their eye off the page.

Some of the best webpage designs are quite simple in appearance.  They work because they are simple. 

I would recommend a little less fluff and a little more substance... people have the attention span of peas... if they can't see what you are trying to sell them in an instant, they move along.

Originally posted by pmiles

I agree with the others, if people wanted to watch a movie, they'd be watching youtube.  

Considering your own clan will spend 100% of their time in the forums, you are spending way too much time on the front matter.  Keep it simple and concise.  It's what people are looking for.  Consider for a moment that visitors may be surfing the site from work or school... in which case the audio is totally inappropriate and will discourage visitors.  

If what is being written to the far left in tiny text is what you want your visitors to see, I suggest making it more prevalent and easier to read.  Most people aren't even going to look at it because it breaks all the rules of basic design.  You're basically directing the reader away from it or directing their eye off the page.

Some of the best webpage designs are quite simple in appearance.  They work because they are simple. 

I would recommend a little less fluff and a little more substance... people have the attention span of peas... if they can't see what you are trying to sell them in an instant, they move along.

Again, this isnt the "impatient" type of person we are looking for.

The website is built to represent and honor the members of the Clan and the alliance. We are not just going to lazily slap some forum together because it is more compact and simple.

Also I cannot really comment on the text size, perhaps it is the monitor you are using or you have Ctrl scrolled your browser out very far? I haven't heard of the text being too small for others, but will take note. Thank you.

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347
    If you don't want a critique, then don't ask for one.  Best to just never ask for anyone's opinion, especially on a forum.  Even if you have the greatest thing known to man, there will always be someone to call it shit and hurt your feelings.

• schrayschray Member Posts: 18
    Isn't the song in the background copyright to Riot games? On Youtube it says it is...
  • timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by DepartedSoul

iPhones wont be able to see it, android phones can load it but the experience will be horrible. A slower/older computer will cough blood from opening it.

We havent had  any problems for about 9 years now using the same programs. It never fails to draw in a large amount of people.

We are always one of the top Clans in any game we choose to compete in.

Maybe you arent understanding what "Reverie" is? It is another word for dream, which is why the text fades in and out. The image clearly represents souls of the dead, as described in the text that you must not have read through.

As for patience, I'm not sure why someone would be rapidly clicking through a website of this nature. Those most certainly are not the quality of people we are searching for.

Could you provide an example of a superior site? We've had nothing but compliments about the "cool factor" of our website, and as stated before we have always been a top Clan in any game we follow.

Allies enjoy to be represented and linked to our site, as well as Clan members of the month, etc.

Did you even read anything provided on the site?     "Give more thought to what we want to say"?

The message is very clear on what people should feel when they arrive to our site. If you cannot gather anything from the music, the text involved, and the image presented to you...

Then perhaps you just like a more simplistic, mechanical, easy to comprehend theme to follow.

+1 for effort

-10 overall

This site is obviously something that you take personal pride in, or you are defending someone elses pride. I know it can be difficult to be criticized, especially if you expected something different. Whatever i say is going to seem mean to you, and you wont like it at all. All i can say is that i'd be glad to give you more feedback now and on future iterations (if you decide to keep working on the project). I've been in the bussiness of web development for many years now and i work with it daily on several large-scale projects.

If you want more feedback from me, please let me know. Otherwise i will leave it here.

• siriusluxsiriuslux Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Nice. I liked the music, it suited your theme rather well. My only criticism is there is too much empty, black space.Otherwise,was overall not bad.
    Originally posted by schray
    Isn't the song in the background copyright to Riot games? On Youtube it says it is...

The song is Libera Me, by Hans Zimmer.

If you want more feedback from me, please let me know. Otherwise i will leave it here.

I'm curious to know what other program could be used to add animations to a page. All the feedback is being taken from everyone positively.

However others do like it , and some don't fit well with it.

That's the law of the land we live in.

• schrayschray Member Posts: 18

I know who made the song. I'm just saying that it was made for League of Legends and it wasn't realeased for any other purpouse. I'm not sure I'm right, I'm just telling you to get better informed than I am so you can stay out of trouble.

I know who made the song. I'm just saying that it was made for League of Legends and it wasn't realeased for any other purpouse. I'm not sure I'm right, I'm just telling you to get better informed than I am so you can stay out of trouble.

Apologies, that was one iteration of the site that was a test theme song. The actual song we are using is Libera Me, not the song Daylights End from Riot

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by dekou
    Well, do you want feedback or praise? Besides, he's right about Flash. It's heavy and outdated.

Agreed.