Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Norn don't feel as fleshed out to me...

ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Like the title says, the Norn race just doesn't seem as fleshed out or 'Alive' to me. Their story seems like generic Nord stuff.

Even going through the blog posts from Norn week on the site, it is clear that they filled the pages with other things.

Examples: http://www.arena.net/blog/norn-week-designing-and-redesigning-events

This one is about...well...events. Nothing norn in there.

http://www.arena.net/blog/norn-week-go-big-or-go-home

And that one is about the lodge being big.

The other articles on the other races all give me a great understanding and 'feel' for them, yet the norn seem to have gotten the backseat thus far....or maybe i'm missing something!

My original choice of a starter character was to be a Norn warrior, but with the backstory feeling as bland as it does, i'm thinking i'm going to go with Sylvari perhaps, as the articles on them, with the story pieces interwoven, definetely paints an enticing picture for me.

Charr don't appeal to me as a race, and the Asura, My Favorite, are being held off until i get to 80 on a few characters. Easier to be a know-it-all that way  image

What do you think?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Comments

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Well, the char and sylvari are the two classes on backburner for me. I was actually going to make a norn hunter, because i feel like thats mainly what men did in that kind of enviourment to survive. You can''t have to much lore in a frozen wasteland except ghost and sheep stories lol.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I kind of agree.  While they still remain the most visually appealing race to me, their personal stories are much less detailed or exciting..... at least in the betas; they may become more epic as time goes on, which I'm hoping.  They're nice in a way though, since their main questlines are kind of "rustic" I guess you could say..... go fetch this mighty sword, etc., earn honor and respect.... the Norn don't seem to care much about the rest of the world and I'd play them when I needed a break from all the other races' drama.
  • GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    I played a Norn in one of the beta events. It's all about hunting and the spirits. The immersion factor is there.

• DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475
    Originally posted by GreenishBlue
    I played a Norn in one of the beta events. It's all about hunting and the spirits. The immersion factor is there.
    What is a spirit ?   
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I agree, however you should keep something in mind. The Norn are all about warrior-ing; other than this, they're really not very deep. They're kind of narrow actually, only really caring about their name going in the history books for doing x, y, or z particularly well.

The few who act differently were all tempered by certain life experiences. Jora lost her ability to transform, and her brother. Eir become something of an outcast, lead her team into a failing battle and got one killed (read Edge of Destiny for more info), and Gullik watched his friends die in front of him (Ghosts of Ascalon). Watching/reading those Norn's personalities change is a lot like watching a carefree teenager be suddenly confronted with death, and in that instant become an adult.

In other words, later in the storyline when your character is up to their neck in drama, they may become much more interesting. I'm not ready to give up on them, yet.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by GreenishBlue

Nice to hear. Last I followed this, I had the feeling Anet could not get past "being a hero legend" option for Norn. Ie just one flavor available and not a lot of it left in the tub either!

They could chuck together any number of tribal/indigenous myths/legends/customs/quirks from RL and make this race incredibily cool to learn about if they wanted to..............

• KrossliteKrosslite Member Posts: 317
    Originally posted by Toxia

Like the title says, the Norn race just doesn't seem as fleshed out or 'Alive' to me. Their story seems like generic Nord stuff.

Even going through the blog posts from Norn week on the site, it is clear that they filled the pages with other things.

Examples: http://www.arena.net/blog/norn-week-designing-and-redesigning-events

This one is about...well...events. Nothing norn in there.

http://www.arena.net/blog/norn-week-go-big-or-go-home

And that one is about the lodge being big.

The other articles on the other races all give me a great understanding and 'feel' for them, yet the norn seem to have gotten the backseat thus far....or maybe i'm missing something!

My original choice of a starter character was to be a Norn warrior, but with the backstory feeling as bland as it does, i'm thinking i'm going to go with Sylvari perhaps, as the articles on them, with the story pieces interwoven, definetely paints an enticing picture for me.

Charr don't appeal to me as a race, and the Asura, My Favorite, are being held off until i get to 80 on a few characters. Easier to be a know-it-all that way  image

What do you think?

I would have to agree. I feel they speant more time on the Asura and the Sylvari. Especially the latter since they appear to me to be very PC.
     (Politically Correct) before you ask if you didn't know

A MMO is like life. It is something to cherish and enjoy upon in it journey. So why race to the end of it. In life at the end you die.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I think people go in expecting something close to skyrim, but are disappointed in seeing that the Norn are just Norn.  Their zones and feeling are pretty much spot on to their history and story, yet seem lackluster compared to the hustle and bustle of the other type of races.  To me some of the snow covered areas seemed dull and void of events, but it's a matter of player preference as it may just embody the spirit of survival and the spirits of the wild.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

I think people go in expecting something close to skyrim, but are disappointed in seeing that the Norn are just Norn.  Their zones and feeling are pretty much spot on to their history and story, yet seem lackluster compared to the hustle and bustle of the other type of races.  To me some of the snow covered areas seemed dull and void of events, but it's a matter of player preference as it may just embody the spirit of survival and the spirits of the wild.

I do see where you are going with this, but....

For the Asura for example there starting area has a DE every veiw steps you go with a multitude of Krewe buildings one after the other with DEs in them.

The Sylvari have less and more spread out compared to the Asura, but still far more and even more so with chains then can be found in the Norn starting area.

That is where we are coming from. I don't think it is meant to show a more adverse area. We just think they didn't bother to give them a alot.

This may be due to them expecting more people to play the Asura and Sylvari then Norn. But I can not find anything to support that. So it is purely assution for that last statment.

A MMO is like life. It is something to cherish and enjoy upon in it journey. So why race to the end of it. In life at the end you die.

• Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Say I go to Lions Arch then gate to the human lowbie zone to quest with a friend as soon as I get out of the Norn tutorial, what repercussions exist?
  • orator1970orator1970 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by Skeeter50

Say I go to Lions Arch then gate to the human lowbie zone to quest with a friend as soon as I get out of the Norn tutorial, what repercussions exist?

None I am aware of. You can go back there if you wish and your level will reduce to the area is all

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I don't think they should have made the Norn a playable race, they are interesting enough for a quest area, with enough lore for that one zone, but not for a personal story, they are rather one note. (as I recall from EotN) It also looks odd to have 9ft tall "humans" around, with nothing else to distinguish them its looks like we have an overly generous height slider.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
  • DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I enjoyed the Norn a lot and couldn't quite grasp when folks were saying they were the low race on the totem pole. I will be playing a Sylvari as my main but a Norn will definitely be an alt.

Not terribly interested in Charr and I really don't like the Asura at all (Asura are very well done...just not for me).

• Originally posted by Toxia

What do you think?

Completely agree with you on the Norn story being a let down.

However, the Charr story is actually very good.  I convinced my wife to roll a Charr during BWE3 even though she detested the race and now she can't wait to play one just for the personal story.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

All my chars will be Norn.

I couldnt care less for the story. I just find them so awesome.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

I agree, however you should keep something in mind. The Norn are all about warrior-ing; other than this, they're really not very deep. They're kind of narrow actually, only really caring about their name going in the history books for doing x, y, or z particularly well.

The few who act differently were all tempered by certain life experiences. Jora lost her ability to transform, and her brother. Eir become something of an outcast, lead her team into a failing battle and got one killed (read Edge of Destiny for more info), and Gullik watched his friends die in front of him (Ghosts of Ascalon). Watching/reading those Norn's personalities change is a lot like watching a carefree teenager be suddenly confronted with death, and in that instant become an adult.

In other words, later in the storyline when your character is up to their neck in drama, they may become much more interesting. I'm not ready to give up on them, yet.

Good point.

"Cattle dies and kin dies but I know one thing that never dies, the judgemnt over a dead man" (It sounds cooler in old Norse)

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

The Norn are all about warrior-ing; other than this, they're really not very deep.

That's more like the Charr... Norn are a bit more than just warmongers, it's a shamanistic community praying the spirits of the wild.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205
    I have to agree with the OP, I tried both Norn Ranger and Sylvari Ranger and I felt much more engaged in the Sylvari. I am planning on playing an Asura Warrior now though :D

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

The Norn are all about warrior-ing; other than this, they're really not very deep.

That's more like the Charr... Norn are a bit more than just warmongers, it's a shamanistic community praying the spirits of the wild.

Sure, the norns are a bit between an old Norse viking and a native American and that is fine, but you have to agree that the story seems less fleshed out at least early in the game...

Hopefully does it get more interesting as you play.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334
    The Norn do have a nice city, though. And kegball!
  • AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

Don't much care for the concept, didn't much like them in GW1, don't really like them in GW2. Was always my least favourite race...

And I can't stand how slow large races feel in this game (yes, I know it's only a feeling). 

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by Loke666

Sure, the norns are a bit between an old Norse viking and a native American and that is fine, but you have to agree that the story seems less fleshed out at least early in the game...

I finished this version of the story up to the end at level 20 during the first two BWEs:

And I really enjoyed it (remember the story changes depending on your choices).

It's all about different tastes in my opinion - I was also one of those who thouroughly enjoyed the Jedi Consular story line in SW:TOR when many were saying it was the weakest of all.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Loke666

I finished this version of the story up to the end at level 20 during the first two BWEs:

And I really enjoyed it (remember the story changes depending on your choices).

It's all about different tastes in my opinion - I was also one of those who thouroughly enjoyed the Jedi Consular story line in SW:TOR when many were saying it was the weakest of all.

It fits then... don't like the Norn or their story, thought the Counselor was some of the weakest storytelling I ever came across... different strokes for different folks!