Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why many wants TSW to fail

Comments

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Why anybody would want any game to fail is beyond me.

Then you must have not thought about it very hard.

Originally posted by grapevine
    Originally posted by Konner920
    So am I the only one that thought this was a extremely good game?

You aren't by the player ratings.  Its just lagging slightly behind GW2.

New MMOs ALWAYS get high ratings, especially after years of marketing and hype like this one has had.

It's a decent game, horrible MMO.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by DMKano

Wanting others to fail is usually a sign of low self esteem because ones own shortcomings and failures seem more acceptable - as the saying goes, misery loves company.

Low self esteem might be one angle, but another would be a hyper-inflated self-opinion with delusions of grandeur.

Some people are just simply unable to tolerate that someone else has a different opinion of the same topic.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by XAPGames
    Originally posted by DMKano

Wanting others to fail is usually a sign of low self esteem because ones own shortcomings and failures seem more acceptable - as the saying goes, misery loves company.

Low self esteem might be one angle, but another would be a hyper-inflated self-opinion with delusions of grandeur.

Some people are just simply unable to tolerate that someone else has a different opinion of the same topic.

Or... you know... maybe some companies don't deserve to succeed after swindling their user base?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Tibernicus

Or... you know... maybe some companies don't deserve to succeed after swindling their user base?

Wanna buy my t-shirt?  I'm all sold out of "Internet Prophet of Doom", for now.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by rav500. It's the most hyped game I've ever seen - like a poop wrapped in gold paper (I know I'll be hated here for saying this)

you obviously weren't here for Darkfall,  Mortal Online, Aion, Age of Conan, Warhammer Age of Reckoning, Vanguard Saga of Heroes, etc.

This site is a hypefest flamewar on how uberawesomelyamazinglycool one game will be, then it comes out and we all move to the next game in line queued up for hype, while those who actually liked the last game defend it by tearing down the new kid on the block hype magnet.

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • ConnlaiConnlai Member Posts: 26

Swindling their player base? I don't believe Funcom can be accused of swindle, by any stretch of the imagination. Unlike a lot of mmo publishers, Funcom has never abandoned any of their games even if they failed to live up to their profitability. They still continue to run AO which is more than 11 years old, and I can't for the life of me understand how they still can make money of that game.

If AoC had been published by any other firm, it would probably have been killed off like so many other MMO's, Tabula Rasa anyone? AoC had a few features that failed to deliver on a few promised features, bar brawls being the most touted one, but a swindle it is not.

Every MMO is an almost organic entity, no mmo's start with all features present, stuff is added throughout the life of the game, things need fixing, rebalancing or just doesn't work as intended and is therefore cut from a game.

From my point of view it seems like Funcom is judged by a different standard than other mmo-developers. The combat in TSW is not bad, it's just comparable to other mmo's, but on here it's ripped apart by it's critics.

I feel that they have some of the most pleasing real-looking characters of any game, but they are bashed for poor animations and character models, I just don't get it. 

They launch a game that has more than 500 quests, and are bashed with being light on content. They introduce aspects never before seen in an MMO, investigation missions, and get critiqued for that as well. 

There's just no pleasing the MMO crowd is there, I see the bashers mostly have moved on to GW2 now and good riddance, I suspect people will find that title wanting as well.

God I am glad I am not in mmo-development, must be the most ungrateful job since loo cleaners, you do your best, but all you get is shit...

Kind regards,

Conlai "Darkmoor" MacGregor

• TheSedatedTheSedated Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Why anybody would want any game to fail is beyond me.

Then you must have not thought about it very hard.

Originally posted by grapevine
    Originally posted by Konner920
    So am I the only one that thought this was a extremely good game?

You aren't by the player ratings.  Its just lagging slightly behind GW2.

New MMOs ALWAYS get high ratings, especially after years of marketing and hype like this one has had.

It's a decent game, horrible MMO.

TSW had years of marketing and hype? Damn... I think I must have lived in a hole and hallucinating a lot the last years...

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by thark

I want this game to fail for the same reason I wanted SWTOR to fail.

To tell publishers to stop selling instanced singleplayer games with optional COOP as MMORPGs with monthly fees.

MMOs of old made sense with monthly fees.

Instances solo oriented casual linear quest games... do not. It's a clear money grab. This game was made by a singleplayer game dev who probably WANTED it to be singleplayer (it would have made it a MUCH better game) but no... Funcom wanted cash.

You have no clue at all..Sorry..

How do I have no clue? That's exactly what the game is. 90% of the appeal and focus is on running through instances and doing quests with a couple other people. Almost every zone takes place in an instance and limits the number of people.

No Thats simply not true, I'd say 90% of the quests does NOT take place in an instance..But ofcourse if you actually played the game you would know that..

Actually ..Because this game has so few instances, It also has the problem with  other players always clicking on quest objectives, wich in turn may create some frustration among players..But you would know that aswell ..right :)

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

everyone in the mmo gaming world should want TSW to succeed.

why?

Because Funcom is the only company out there that at least tries to do something different or creative.  With games like TSW succeeding we might actually see the envelope pushed a little further and actually get some great games in the future.  Or we can just keep playing WOW err GW2 yawn fests

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by rav500

Yesterday I watched this movie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeitgeist:_The_Movie

My theory is that all this hate against TSW was started from authorities because they want you not to know the truth!!! :)

This has nothing to do with a meager amount of liner content.

a yo ho ho

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

why?

Because Funcom is the only company out there that at least tries to do something different or creative.  With games like TSW succeeding we might actually see the envelope pushed a little further and actually get some great games in the future.  Or we can just keep playing WOW err GW2 yawn fests

You are right, I've never had another game developer look me straight in the eye and lie to me like funcom has. Or try to charge me after cancelling my account. Or beg their fanbase to go onto other forums and upvote their game and downvote all others. Funcom breaks all bounderies of ethical a nd decent behavior - no doubt about that. Really groundbreaking stuff.

Best thing that could happen to mmos would be funcom going out of business and leaving room for REAL developers to take their place.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• unknown769unknown769 Member Posts: 45
    in mi opinion ,ireally dont need the game to fail its already being spoken  even from funcom about future fp2 and how they are prepared to manage the f2p game mode whit some limitationlike Aoc ,they already know the game will soon be f2p and being f2p its not a bad thing tho ,but it will happen soon

To tell publishers to stop selling instanced singleplayer games with optional COOP as MMORPGs with monthly fees.

Instances solo oriented casual linear quest games... do not. It's a clear money grab. This game was made by a singleplayer game dev who probably WANTED it to be singleplayer (it would have made it a MUCH better game) but no... Funcom wanted cash.

How do I have no clue? That's exactly what the game is. 90% of the appeal and focus is on running through instances and doing quests with a couple other people. Almost every zone takes place in an instance and limits the number of people.

No Thats simply not true, I'd say 90% of the quests does NOT take place in an instance..But ofcourse if you actually played the game you would know that..

Actually ..Because this game has so few instances, It also has the problem with  other players always clicking on quest objectives, wich in turn may create some frustration among players..But you would know that aswell ..right :)

The zones themselves are instanced.

• madhatter50madhatter50 Member Posts: 2
    Hey rav old buddy havn't been taking your medication again have you.  You know you really should take your meds before the men with the white jacket with the extra long sleaves and the nice padded room come for you again. 

why?

Because Funcom is the only company out there that at least tries to do something different or creative.

You mean like their WoW clone AoC?

Yeah, no. Funcom churns out garbage just like all the other big publishers.

Though I don't think I've seen a company that lied more outright than Funcom.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by JosephJR

what is different in gameplay as mmo?

your  ,,real,,  mmo's havent single player missions (quest's) ?

your  ,,real,, mmo's forcing grouping ?

your ,,real,, mmo havent any single instance?

...why is TSW SP game  ,but  your  ,,real,, mmo is MMO ? what is different ? .

Why is my MMO different? Because it has no instances or limit on how many players can be in a zone, and it encourages socializing and group play, rather than sending you down a scripted voice acted singleplayer storyline.

With this I am sure you dont know what is TSW gameplay  & game concept 

TSW is MMORPG ,  only small content is solo instanced , 

brw  I  dont care for voice acting & story line just enjoying in game setting & world ,enjoying in team play with other players

I am buy lifetime & during my gameplay I ll suport TSW with monthly 10 $, F points

Funcom is make awesome game,I dont care if  in one month  bored, stop playing  , they are make great game universe where I haved  fun & meet realy nice peoples

I am satisfied player & funcom's customer ,they got my money

• GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354

what is different in gameplay as mmo?

your  ,,real,,  mmo's havent single player missions (quest's) ?

your  ,,real,, mmo's forcing grouping ?

your ,,real,, mmo havent any single instance?

...why is TSW SP game  ,but  your  ,,real,, mmo is MMO ? what is different ? .

Why is my MMO different? Because it has no instances or limit on how many players can be in a zone, and it encourages socializing and group play, rather than sending you down a scripted voice acted singleplayer storyline.

With this I am sure you dont know what is TSW gameplay  & game concept 

TSW is MMORPG ,  only small content is solo instanced , 

brw  I  dont care for voice acting & story line just enjoying in game setting & world ,enjoying in team play with other players

I am buy lifetime & during my gameplay I ll suport TSW with monthly 10 $, F points

Funcom is make awesome game,I dont care if  in one month  bored, stop playing  , they are make great game universe where I haved  fun & meet realy nice peoples

I am satisfied player & funcom's customer ,they got my money

Eventually, that will bite you in the ass. Just watch. ;) 

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Can't speak for everyone else. Personally, I won't want it to fail, even though I think that's the direction its heading. I want a game like this to succeed, it does a LOT of things differently and that's just what this market needs. It's just not presented well enough, imo. But few things would please me more than to hear a few months down the road that TSW has been refined and finally found its thriving market. I'm just hoping they don't go the way of AoC and use a super-grindy expansion to supplement "content" until they can get around to actually making some.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

why?

Because Funcom is the only company out there that at least tries to do something different or creative.

Sorry bud I was one of the million players that bought AOC .....And got 20 levels instead of a finished game .Funcom indeed tried to do something different but it should have ended up with jail time not developing another game

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by Baddogbill

why?

Sorry bud I was one of the million players that bought AOC .....And got 20 levels instead of a finished game .Funcom indeed tried to do something different but it should have ended up with jail time not developing another game

I bought AOC on release, too - and had alot of fun doing 1-30 several times, past that the game is, and always has been atrocious - that's why I originally wrote TSW off of my list on release - but I was bored the other day and curious, giving it a chance I see that for at least the past 4 days of play (Well longer than 1-30 in AoC) it's all Tortage quality or greater.

They may have snuck the "catch" (think AoC's 20+) in a month down the road, but so far I've not saw any hint of anything other than some seriously creative missions, mechanics, terrain and world detail.*

* Poster may be biased due to cliche fantasy elves, dragons and such nonsense making them violently ill.

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

I've been playing Funcom games for over a decade so the decision to play TSW was a no-brainer. I assumed from the day that I first heard of TSW that I would be playing and I would be playing now, if not for those free beta weekends. Unfortunately, even after three beta weekends and the freebie weekend last month, I have yet to find the first thing about this game that screams "BUY ME PLAY ME!". Just like with AoC, the features all sound good on paper but when I go to play it, it is unable to deliver. I honestly do not see myself playing this game even if it was F2P. I don't want to see it fail or anything but I am afraid that it where it is headed.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Baddogbill

why?

Hm so Tibernicus is a typical troll as I can see in the whole thread with a lot of hate for Funcom:)

So how is AoC a WoW clone please xD. And btw the areas are not instanced like you say, the "instance" you mean are servers but the servers are merged to 1 if you play, so you can play with everyone on every server. So for me its not instanced if you play on a normal server with a normal population? How many players you want in an area to succed as mmo, 50.000?

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

The zones themselves are instanced.

Well..NO..You only answered this short because you really know the reason why "the open zones" holds multiple instances, and Its because they cant have 10k people running around in Kingsmouth..But you knew that already :) Didnt you ?

These new  systems is the reality, the games of the past could hold maybe a fraction of the perscent of what todays games servers can, and that is because they have open instances in the same gameworld..Every game in the last couple of years has had this system..

TSW is even better, Every server is combined into a single entity, so EVERYONE can actually meet regardless of the server you chose from the start..

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    I'm torn. I generally dont want any game to fail. But I kinda want TSW to fail because of thier sub+cash shop model. I know if it fails it wont be because of the payment model though so meh.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Even though I had to admit that TSW was not the game for me long term, I really want them to succeed in order to prove that there is still a place for niche games in the hobby and on the market. They brought something different to the table, wither you like it or not. The idea that every game has to fight over the exact same player base is stupid and a fake construct created by too many development teams attempting to make a WOW clone to cash in on its popularity.