Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When did you become interested in GW2

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    no one said after watching the videos in my sticky:( oh well :P :)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ClawzonClawzon Member UncommonPosts: 188

OooH, I becamed interessted when watching a video on youtube that had absolutely nothing at all to do with games what so ever..  But; "gw2 is goin to destroy world of warcraft" was a comment!?

Okej..... 

:)

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I collect model figures and once I saw the Guild Wars Brimstone Statue, I ordered it asap and then backed out of the deal since I wasn't to impressed with GW2 BWE. To me it felt to much like the same ole same ole fantasy mmo, not until coworkers talked me back into the game then I decided just to get the regular digital copy this time.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    When I heard it was B2P and not a trinity based game.
    Originally posted by P4YB4CK

I collect model figures and once I saw the Guild Wars Brimstone Statue, I ordered it asap and then backed out of the deal since I wasn't to impressed with GW2 BWE. To me it felt to much like the same ole same ole fantasy mmo, not until coworkers talked me back into the game then I decided just to get the regular digital copy this time.

how do you personally feel it's same old same old? i find this game to be the least same old same old fantasy game since 04

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i became interested in GW2 in 2009 while i was speaking with a co-worker about mmos and he mentioned that ANet was making GW2 so i started looking into it and ufffff.... never looked back.

edit: by never looked back i mean that i kept going forward towards GW2 :D

• joerockshahajoerockshaha Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally played Guild Wars 1 and when EoTN came out i played it non stop and after finally beating it, i saw the end trailer "Odgens Benediction" i knew then that there would be an epic sequel.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

how do you personally feel it's same old same old? i find this game to be the least same old same old fantasy game since 04

Obviously I am not the original poster, but given how he worded it I would suspect that a large part of what made it feel same ol' same ol' to him is the setting.  It is a very typical fantasy setting using very typical fantasy trope.  Yes, it has it's own take on everything and for people like me who are not tired of fantasy, it is interesting.  But for someone who maybe is tired of the standard fantasy formula, it might feel like same ol' same ol'.

GW2 also uses a lot of mechanics that will be "familiar" to people who have played other fantasy MMOs.  It has you pick a race and a class and advance in level the same as in most fantasy MMOs.

I consider the approach that GW2 takes and how everything is presented to be unique and interesting and I absolutely love it.  I agree that it is the least "same old same old" fantasy game in quite a while.  But I can also see how someone completely tired of certain aspects of fantasy MMOs would not notice the differences through the similarities.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I think I am burning out on the High Fantasy setting MMO Aerowyn, probably gonna take a break from these types of mmo's settings if GW2 doesn't stick with me. I may get out of my comfort zone and try games like Planetside 2, MechWarrior Online or Firefall.

edit: As you can see in my profile, I am more into the SciFi style MMO's / FPS games that are out there.

I think I am burning out on the High Fantasy setting MMO Aerowyn, probably gonna take a break from these types of mmo's settings if GW2 doesn't stick with me. I may get out of my comfort zone and try games like Planetside 2, MechWarrior Online or Firefall.

fair enough:)

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Followed SWToR for over 4 years and was a full time tester a year before launch. Everything in beta we kept saying needed to be fixed wasnt and there was always some turd that said. GW2 has this fix and a a shot blurb on how they fix it. I wanted SWToR to be my next MMO home for years to come. Well it was the biggest let down for me as a MMOer. Well I thought i would check out this game even though I HATE GW1. I was shocked to find out they had fixed a lot of common MMO problems with very simple fixes. Things that make you ask "Why has no one done this before?" I only started following this game back in Feb/March of this year. By April I was sold and put my money down for a copy of the game. Word of mouth really works.
  • GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    when the gameplay videos started to pop-up

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Followed SWToR for over 4 years and was a full time tester a year before launch. Everything in beta we kept saying needed to be fixed wasnt and there was always some turd that said. GW2 has this fix and a a shot blurb on how they fix it. I wanted SWToR to be my next MMO home for years to come. Well it was the biggest let down for me as a MMOer. Well I thought i would check out this game even though I HATE GW1. I was shocked to find out they had fixed a lot of common MMO problems with very simple fixes. Things that make you ask "Why has no one done this before?" I only started following this game back in Feb/March of this year. By April I was sold and put my money down for a copy of the game. Word of mouth really works.

Indeed I gotta say word of mouth works great.

My favorite thing is how much the game changed between BWE1 and BWE2 and BWE3. I'm curious to see what changes will be in place for release. Can't wait to play this weekend.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by Centhan

Never was interested in GW1.  I do remember playing it however, but I believe it was beta testing, because I never did purchase it.  It just never grabbed me, and I vaguely recall hating the PvE.

Fast forward to August 10th 2012, and totally by chance I saw a stress was coming up (I believe it was that day).  I did a little reading up on it, saw if I pre-purchased I could get in, and totally on a whim I bought it and downloaded it.

The funny thing is, this is totally unlike me, because I usually do a little more research than this before I make a purchase.  What's really odd is the thing that hooked me was the knowledge of the Mesmer class.  Watched a couple videos of the profession in action, and loved the whole idea of it.

Come to think of it, maybe it's not so odd that hooked me.  I used to play an Enchanter in EQ as my main, and loved my Illusion Controller in City of Heroes.  I see a pattern here...

Mesmer is my favorite class, both in GW1 and GW2. My main will probably be a Sylvari Mesmer or an Asura Mesmer.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    I became interested as soon as the first vids slipped out. I was hooked after the 1st hour in my first BWE.
  • ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

For me it was quite slowly over time. As I read more about the game and how the different features were built and implemented it got me more interested.

The last year or so I've been paying a lot more attention to how games are designed and the difference between good design and lazy/poor design and a lot of what I see in GW2 gives me great hope for the future of the game.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

when they first announced it and i was still happily playing gw1.

"omg, guild wars in a persistant world??? holy $#*%"

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• c-motc-mot Member UncommonPosts: 51

i m more a sandbox player - played SWG from 2003 to the bitter end through all its versions.

when i finally had to look out for another game i saw SWTOR and GW2 were hyped all over at that time. my first choice of course was SWTOR. i followed the forums and got suspicious as the whole hype came down to "its star wars"  and "its bioware", while the GW2 hype was all about the game features.

SWTOR became the disappointment that i already suspected. so i followed GW2 even closer and everything i saw was just the thing i was looking for. i played the BWE's and the stress tests and had a lot of fun.

the main thing i am looking in a MMO is the freedom to do what i want to do (its a more sandfboxy approach). i love that in GW2 i can explore and get events on the way. i can pvp if and when i want. and mainly i play with others not alongside or against (in copmpetieion of quest mobs, items or loot). even the crafting and ressource sampling is nicely done (they even reduced avoided the grind here wihtout making it meaningless).

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

Back in 2007 when I was playing GW and told my guild mates that I would like the game better with certain improvements (can't remember now what they were tbh, although one was persistent world) and they told me there was to be a sequel. I remember how excited I was to hear that and immediately I went a-googling for GW2 and found ArenaNet's website where all you could do was sign up for a newsletter. Didn't hear anything for years and almost forgot all about it.

Then suddenly (was it a year or so ago?) little bits of news started to appear, and when I watched the manifesto:

and my excitement mounted. I pre-purchased as soon as that was a possibility, played the betas and stress tests, loved the game, and am still full of excitement and anticipation. Only six days to go! Seems strange after waiting 5+ yrs.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    When I watched their manifesto.
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Back when Nightfall came out, I started a topic on the non-oficial GW1 forum that the devs and CMs often posted on, begging them to make a GW2, with a fully persistant MMO world, but with the lore and many of the game systems of GW1. It was obvious from the world design in Nightfall that they had the talent to make the transition and the lack of a persistent world was the thing holding back the i.p.

I realized that even if they did go that rote, it would take several years, so even when they announced they were going to stop development of GW1 addons to focus of GW2 as a fully persistent, MMORPG, I put the game way on the back burner and eventually almost forgot about it.

I started to pay some attention again in 2010, when they started talking more about the game, offered a playable demo at some conventions and released the Manifesto Video. I really started to get deeply into researching the game in early 2011.

So, I've been wanting to play GW2 since before there ever was official talk of a GW2, but deep interest in this incarnation of the concept goes back a couple years and Arenanet have blown away anything I imagined back after Nightfall was released, when I begged them to consider making GW2! :)

(I don't think I in anyway sparked GW2, but it's sort of cool that I saw the potential for a fully persistent GW2 before Arenanet ever started to talk about it).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

The moment I realized I haven't had an MMORPG to play since quiting the genre 3 years ago due to lack of decent releases.

Honestly, I still don't have high expecations for GW2, but the hype has reeled me in. Hell, I payed for SWTOR (That crap heap of a game), I see no reason I can't fork over some money for GW2 and give it a go.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Like many, many others, I was caught hook, line and sinker by their Manifesto, which remains as impressive today as it did years ago.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

ever since they announced that Guild Wars 1 is cancelled, to make way for Guild Wars 2
    i remember quite vividly when Kotaku leaked the news, and i didnt want to believe it at that time
    then PCGamer broke out with the news abt EOTN and GW2
    i had my doubts and fears abt GW2 becoming more like an MMO than GW1 was, but i casted it all aside when i saw the first ever gamescom dragon trailer

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I've been playing GW 1 since the begining so it's a natural progression for me to move onto GW 2.