Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A little-talked-about feature

CheesumCheesum Member UncommonPosts: 5

Hi there, first time poster, long-time lurker.

At first, I wanted to wait a couple of months before buying GW2, see if at least part of the hype was justified, but after playing at a friend's during one of the stress tests, I came across a feature that was such a game-changer that it made me pre-order GW2 without any hesitation. Oddly enough, even after having followed the game for a few months now on several forums, I never saw this feature mentioned even once; maybe it's specific to the EU version?

Anyway, I'm talking about the ability to play the game in one language and instantly switch language by pressing a button (default: left-ALT). So for instance, In Guild Wars 2 I can read the quests and follow the conversations in German and re-read the parts I didn't understand but in English, all by pressing a simple toggle.

Needless to say this is a tremendous feature for people who wish to learn new languages and one I've been looking for for a long, long time. Several games allow you to change the language of the text but it usually requires restarting the game or worse, reinstalling it. Guild Wars 2 deals with this issue so seamlessly and elegantly, it's almost as if they created the feature specially for multilingual people.

Does anyone else think it's as big a deal as I do or am I nerdgasming all by myself? Better yet, does anyone know of another game that sports a similar feature?

Comments

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

That's a very cool feature I was completely unaware of!

Thanks for sharing!

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    That is a cool feature I my self do not speak a bunch of languages but I do understand Japanese, mixes of Chinese sense they have so many versions of it hard to say what the mean some times some korean and german, Spanish, and portuguse but I only understand when it is spoken I cant read it I am not my daughter who read lorean and japanese. I do think its a great feature for multi lingual people.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475
    You can wank and parachute at the same time, it doesn't mean you should do !
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by DrDwarf

I think it does mean that.

• ajayazirajayazir Member Posts: 108

Finally a GW2 post worth reading~! 

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    I didn't even know such a feature existed.... you learn something everyday!

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758
    This is actually a really cool feature i didn't know about either :D
  • jadedyjadedy Member CommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by Cheesum

Hi there, first time poster, long-time lurker.

At first, I wanted to wait a couple of months before buying GW2, see if at least part of the hype was justified, but after playing at a friend's during one of the stress tests, I came across a feature that was such a game-changer that it made me pre-order GW2 without any hesitation. Oddly enough, even after having followed the game for a few months now on several forums, I never saw this feature mentioned even once; maybe it's specific to the EU version?

Anyway, I'm talking about the ability to play the game in one language and instantly switch language by pressing a button (default: left-ALT). So for instance, In Guild Wars 2 I can read the quests and follow the conversations in German and re-read the parts I didn't understand but in English, all by pressing a simple toggle.

Needless to say this is a tremendous feature for people who wish to learn new languages and one I've been looking for for a long, long time. Several games allow you to change the language of the text but it usually requires restarting the game or worse, reinstalling it. Guild Wars 2 deals with this issue so seamlessly and elegantly, it's almost as if they created the feature specially for multilingual people.

Does anyone else think it's as big a deal as I do or am I nerdgasming all by myself? Better yet, does anyone know of another game that sports a similar feature?

I think GW1 already had it. Heard it in one of WoodenPotatoes videos some time back.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Wow, I've been following this game for years and I didn't even know about that feature.
  • ajayazirajayazir Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by jadedy

I think GW1 already had it. Heard it in one of WoodenPotatoes videos some time back.

... seriously! i played it for so long and never knew about this stuff! 

haha... yeah... so true! you learn something everyday... 

• jadedyjadedy Member CommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by ajayazir
    Originally posted by jadedy

... seriously! i played it for so long and never knew about this stuff! 

haha... yeah... so true! you learn something everyday... 

yeah, i hope we will see more of these awesome, overlooked features in this game.

• FaulknerFaulkner Member UncommonPosts: 108

Very Great Find, adn wonderful Feature!

Cheers,

Faulkner

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by colddog04

That white stuff falling on your head ain't bird poop.

That is a cool feature, and I think I will actually use it. Anytime I take my character to another races area I will switch the language to one I don't speak, and try to figure out what these damn foreigners are saying ot me.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

That's an amazing feature. Well spotted, Cheesum. It's very impressive that even at this late stage, and after 5+yrs (for me) of eager anticipation, I'm still finding new things to be excited about.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

A very nice feature. Was there a Bork! Bork! Bork! option?

• Serin101Serin101 Member Posts: 103
    I plan to use it to help me learn how to read specific languages.  Pretty nifty feature nonetheless.
  • solarenergysolarenergy Member Posts: 2

Yeah gw1 had this also. There was also a joke language you could select called Bork! Bork!

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Bork!_Bork!_Bork!

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by colddog04

Laughing so hard at the mental image right now.

And no, I totally didn't know about this feature. I'm going to have to play with that, some of the voice acting is dreadful.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• SeinaruSeinaru Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 109
    This is a cool feature but I could never get it to work in GW1. I think that the problem is that, at least in GW1, the language toggle hotkey toggles between English and the system language, and I'm unable to change my system language. But hopefully it will be different in GW2. Video games are surprisingly good ways of learning new languages.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by Stx11

That's a very cool feature I was completely unaware of!

Thanks for sharing!

+1 !

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Hmmm... Interesting feature. Maybe I'll use it to finally learn some French, though maybe the only French I'll learn are the for my character's little quips.

"I'm faster than a centaur!" image