Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I think the SWTOR CGI trailers were shit.

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

They're all action packed and boring like the new Star Wars movies, there is no context for the fights and each one is purely action that again it's boring. No tension from the scenes because there has been no story set up and it focuses on super hero like people who never make a mistake and jump 100ft into the air, which is something of the ne wStar Wars movies and yet was never a part of the old. 

Bioware seem to have based their whole SWTOR game around Star Wars cliches, each class is based off a character from the movies and there is nothing original. They're even attempting to add another HK droid into the game because guess what... people loved HK47 right? Like........ DO SOMETHING ORIGINAL! Yet everything in the trailers and the game is some bad cliche, you see it so obviously with the Smuggler trying to be Han Solo, yet is so shallow that it doesn't pull it off and just ends up being flat. 

I Thank Blizzard for attempting some plot development with their WoTLK CGI trailer... pretty much their only one they did it with though. These trailers need to be more about story line rather than boring action, because that's what it turns into when you see it time and time again... just boring. 

What turns me on on Star Wars movies? It's not the action but the great acting between scenes and I love the witty banter between genius characters like Han Solo and Princess Leia... again something you don't get in the new Star Wars movies and something Bioware fails out. 

Valve do story telling in games better than anyone, if you play Portal 2 they manage to put more animation and emotion into a sphere robot than Bioware do in every single one of their games combined. Valve are so genius at it, watch the ending to Episode Two and hear Alyx crying, any other game and it would be cheesy and yet some how Valve pull it off and it sounds so good and you believe it. 

Just wish more people were up to their standards of story telling in games... shame they're focusing on the shit CS:GO and Dota 2 though when they could be making something that matters, HL3.

Comments

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Blasphemy!! 
  • MMOheraldMMOherald Member Posts: 22
    SWTOR really did a number on some people.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by tixylix

Valve do story telling in games better than anyone

I might be inclined to agree there.  As for your thread, lucky for me I don't care about story in MMOs.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don´t think lack of originality is ones of TORs issues...

When you use an IP like this you can´t be that original, LA wont allow you. But I wish they took more inspiration from the old movies and not so much from the new ones.

Edit: Well, I meant storywise. Game mechinaical wise it is a problem.

• Got_Game_TVGot_Game_TV Member UncommonPosts: 262
    The original star wars movie had these things called dialogue and chemistry between the actors. ;)
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

I would only agree in so far as the opening and faction CGI just set up a back story for everyone else in play other than my character. They made faction NPC heroes the center piece of the coming story I was expecting to have a lead role in. That’s typical of Lucas though through the years in that he wants to sell his owned characters first and foremost to make money off the sale of toys, books, comics, etc so your character is always in their shadow. Otherwise they are some great film that might have made for a better TV show on their own.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

While I don't play WoW any longer, I have to say that I kind of liked the WotLK trailer.  It was true to the story of Arthus.

Youtr gripes come from the "new age" of Star Wars, in the era of Jar Jar Binks, and C3PO making a pun about this being a "drag", while his severed robot head was being drug across the ground.

Basically, EA BioWare missed another mark, namely with attracting Star Wars fans of the original movies, pre George Lucas nefs/corruptions.

Missing even that mark is a big no-no when the target audience is Star Wars fans.  The game had worse flaws though (other threads pls).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I disagree with you completely.  The wow trailer sucked so bad.  You could almost hear Carl Douglas singing. The swtro cinematics  that I saw were awesome.  I think the problem was that they were too good but that the game was shitty compared to them.   The biggest problem was that it didn't feel like an MMO. 
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    I disagree with you completely.  The wow trailer sucked so bad.  You could almost hear Carl Douglas singing. The swtro cinematics  that I saw were awesome.  I think the problem was that they were too good but that the game was shitty compared to them.   The biggest problem was that it didn't feel like an MMO. 

Agree with SWTOR not being an MMO.

But the WorLK cinematics at least showed the dire need for players to rise and take hold of the situation.

SWTOR cinematics showed past events from books.  The books were great, and the cinematics were certainly of quality production, but they really had little to do with current events, other than to let players know that the Republic and the Empire were at a stalemate with peace negotiations.

SWTOR cinematics dealt with the past, while WoW cinematics dealt with the present.  There is no rush for anyone in SWTOR to do anything ..  everything is essentially okie dokie.  WoW cinematics gave light to a rising threat that must be dealt with, and dealt with now.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    The trailers were great and reached a lot of people.  The game just didn't live up to the hype once you level capped your first character.
  • UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

What turns me on on Star Wars movies? It's not the action but the great acting between scenes and I love the witty banter between genius characters like Han Solo and Princess Leia... again something you don't get in the new Star Wars movies and something Bioware fails out. 

While I did enjoy the CGI scenes because I like flashy flashies.. yeah, I'm shallow, I know.. this part is something that really needed to be pointed out. Thinking about my time in SWTOR, this seems to have been the major thing that was missing. There was no real interaction between people, hell, people weren't people, they were more like charicatures, it made the scenes seem exactly as I've described them in the past: The wall of text from other games just with voices and animations.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by MMOherald

I read this and now I can't stop laughing, all teary-eyed jeeez.

I gotta say, those were some of the best action CGI trailers I've seen and if you look at my post history I'm not the biggest SWTOR supporter.

EDIT: Came back a few mins later and still laughed my ass off. Had to add that little bit of info.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    The trailers were great and reached a lot of people.  The game just didn't live up to the hype once you level capped your first character.

For some of us, you didn't even need to get that far in. I struggled to reach level 30 before I'd seen enough.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

I agree. Not as strongly, but...

I knew the SWToR's CGI videos were utter crap, when in the republic cinematic the Zabrak Jedi sees a bunch of evil looking ships (oooooh.) and says "The empire has returned." ...

"Excuse me, what? How you know that? What?! Do you have force clarivoyance? ... did you read the script, too? What is that lying around in the corner there, is that the script?" (apologies to Plinket from RedLetterMedia)

These cinematics are (imo) based too much on the Star Wars prequels, which suffer the same flatness and lack of suspense. Someone failed to bring vision and inspiration into this.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Just wait man. We be picking on the voice actors soon. I mean didn't Shan sound just a bit too whiney when she was three inches tall in the cut scenes?

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

This is really funny. Short and good.

On the OP though: the trailers were the best thing about SWTOR. I can watch them several times and not be bored. The people that made these trailers should be making new Star Wars movies. If the action in the game were even only half as good as it is in the trailers we'd all be singing praises on SWTOR's, stunning looking, action packed combat. Now we're stuck with mediocre graphics and repetitive action.

imageimage
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

They're all action packed and boring like the new Star Wars movies, there is no context for the fights and each one is purely action that again it's boring.

Their job, especially the early ones, was to put SWTOR in the minds of gamers. Since Deceived has you spreading SWTOR in MMO gamer circles three years later, it seems that not only was it not poop as you describe, but a rather masterfully created trailer.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    good to know.  thx

I self identify as a monkey.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

The SWTOR trailers were fantastic. Bioware should be in the movie business instead of gaming. They have great trailers and cut scenes, game play, not so much.

(I know Bioware didn't actually make the trailers, and it is a shame. At least the fired devs could of had those on the resume.)

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    I thought they were great. The game is good as it is, and is getting better as time goes by.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I disagree with your opinion, but the above statement makes me wonder if this is a legitmate post.  I love Star Wars as much as the next guy (probably more), but the acting?  Most was hammy at best (with the exception of Sir Alec), and the new trilogy acting was some of the worst I have seen.

But if in fact the OP is genuine, I am not sure how much plot/story/character themes you can really stick in a 5-8 min trailer for a videogame.  We're not talking Checkhov here.  It's just a sci-fi game.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by grimal

I disagree with your opinion, but the above statement makes me wonder if this is a legitmate post.  I love Star Wars as much as the next guy (probably more), but the acting?  Most was hammy at best (with the exception of Sir Alec), and the new trilogy acting was some of the worst I have seen.

But if in fact the OP is genuine, I am not sure how much plot/story/character themes you can really stick in a 5-8 min trailer for a videogame.  We're not talking Checkhov here.  It's just a sci-fi game.

I agree. I think a lot of the old star wars fans are blinded by nostalgia. Those films came out when I was growing up and I remember them well. The acting has always been stiff and the dialogue has always been bad.  Take out the music, sound and special effects and you are left with a very mediocre set of movies with the exception of Empire Strikes Back. FAr as I'm concerned the Return of the Jedi ranks right there with the first two prewual movies for blandness, unless you think a bunch of silly little ewoks should be able to take down the best of the empire. Lucas even recycled another Death Star for the rebels to blow up. They just had the advantage of being a pioneer in the visual department and it took the rest of hollywood a while to catch up.  In between the time of the original and the prequals, the rest of the film industry made huge advances in technoloogy and it became difficult to wow us on visuals alone.   The only difference with the prequals is that the story for the first two was so bad that even John Williams excellant new material couldn't save them. Yet they still made millions of dollars. 

Far as the trailers go, I think they were better than what I saw in the worst Star Wars films and it would have been nice to see a CGI film based on them. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Yea yea right :) And you are gw2 fan right? triple lol
  • BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

OP, thanks for bringing this up. I see most everyone agreeing that TOR at least nailed the story telling but damn I'll hate to see what they call a bad story. The stories in TOR are drier than a 5 AM Saturday night whore. I'm not going to turn this into a comparison with the movies since others here are but I will compare it to the original KOTORs.

Both those games put more mythicism and philosophy into the force than any of the movies did and the games were full of one liner jokes and insults. TOR is just so very dry and mono toned through each and every class and quest. The original games have become almost gaming legend but I don't think they did that from their gameplay. The gameplay was ridiculously simplified but the stories were so meaningful and almost every choice we made impacted the game be it companion influence, dialog, or gameplay options. We can play those games several times before playing through all the options. What does TOR give us? I don't see anything. The choices all end up an attempted  illusion, bad influence with companions can be fixed with gifts and we can't sway the alignment of our companions in any way like we could in the KOTOR games.

Am I the only one left alive that played the original games? Why is most everyone giving TOR thumbs up on story when compared to other Bioware games TOR is eating sand? I don't get it.

• CeleustaCeleusta Member UncommonPosts: 26

Nice rant, I lol'd.

Have to agree at least that the fetishizing of the iconic SW classes was a terrible design concept. My idea of a Star Wars MMO is much closer to what SWG offered at first; a chance for a character to make his own destiny amid a Star Wars backdrop. Being a literal copy of Han Solo, wearing permutations of Han's outfit, with a knock-off Millennium Falcon and an inscrutable Wookie companion... not what I had in mind at all. Hell, they even have Han's haircut and Harrison Ford's chin scar as part of the character customization!