Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I still don't understand...

Comments

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Mephster
    I just lvoe how so many since ArenaNet started showing GW2 people said it was goign to change the genre forever. What ? What isn't hype ? Please, it isn't going to change anything. It will be the next theme park game that will fail long term.

It will change the fact that  2-3 million people will be playing GW2 next weekend in gamer bliss and it won't change the fact that  folks like you will still be posting and crying on the forums

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by surfer88
    Why people try to use the excuse that GW2 is on some sort of "hype" train. Everything I've read about GW2 putting in their game was always in game before i found out about it. They made sure they could do it before they released info about it to the public.  There is no CGI trailers for commercials, no talking bad about other games... ANET is just working on their game and trying to put something new on the market of old. people need to stop using the "hype train" excuse... people are hyped because they are finally getting something that was promised.

I still do not understand either......

Every single MMO of the past 5 years has been hyped to such high levels by the players. In the end after the honeymoon is over the game just disapears off the face of the mmo world (even though i dont think GW2 will do that because its b2p). I have followed every MMO very close since I quit XI back in 2005. Every single time this has been the case. The honeymoon period is extremly deceptive. I know I have been there. I was there with AoC. I love conan books and lore so naturally I was biased to the game to start with. I still remember playing the beta and the first two weeks, thinking how fun the game was, thinking I was going to play the game a long time, even though it had more bugs than an insect zoo. After a while that new shinny honeymoon starts to wear off then you start realizing what was the best thing since sliced bread wasnt so fun after all. This cycle never ends, last October November early December it was all about TOR, how such a great game it was, the fans were finally getting what they were promised, a deep engaging story where choices mattered. How'd that turn out for them? Same way it will end for Gw2. When the new game feel wears off is when the true test comes.  

People are hyped because its new game. Its too early to know if what was "promised" turns out to be what the players think was promised. 

I think GW2 is a decent game. I think it will be a game I might consider getting when there is an expansion for it in a year or 2. For now it doesnt have the content, to hold the majority of peoples attention.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Baddogbill
    I just lvoe how so many since ArenaNet started showing GW2 people said it was goign to change the genre forever. What ? What isn't hype ? Please, it isn't going to change anything. It will be the next theme park game that will fail long term.

It will change the fact that  2-3 million people will be playing GW2 next weekend in gamer bliss and it won't change the fact that  folks like you will still be posting and crying on the forums

Then 3 months down the road a lot of them will be gone like every theme park game offers. It is only good for the moment, nothing more.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by toddze
    Originally posted by surfer88
    Why people try to use the excuse that GW2 is on some sort of "hype" train. Everything I've read about GW2 putting in their game was always in game before i found out about it. They made sure they could do it before they released info about it to the public.  There is no CGI trailers for commercials, no talking bad about other games... ANET is just working on their game and trying to put something new on the market of old. people need to stop using the "hype train" excuse... people are hyped because they are finally getting something that was promised.

I still do not understand either......

Every single MMO of the past 5 years has been hyped to such high levels by the players. In the end after the honeymoon is over the game just disapears off the face of the mmo world (even though i dont think GW2 will do that because its b2p). I have followed every MMO very close since I quit XI back in 2005. Every single time this has been the case. The honeymoon period is extremly deceptive. I know I have been there. I was there with AoC. I love conan books and lore so naturally I was biased to the game to start with. I still remember playing the beta and the first two weeks, thinking how fun the game was, thinking I was going to play the game a long time, even though it had more bugs than an insect zoo. After a while that new shinny honeymoon starts to wear off then you start realizing what was the best thing since sliced bread wasnt so fun after all. This cycle never ends, last October November early December it was all about TOR, how such a great game it was, the fans were finally getting what they were promised, a deep engaging story where choices mattered. How'd that turn out for them? Same way it will end for Gw2. When the new game feel wears off is when the true test comes.  

People are hyped because its new game. Its too early to know if what was "promised" turns out to be what the players think was promised. 

I think GW2 is a decent game. I think it will be a game I might consider getting when there is an expansion for it in a year or 2. For now it doesnt have the content, to hold the majority of peoples attention.

how much playing time and how much information about the game as a whole was out about those games? How much was just dev info and dev videos? Aside from people in the closed betas in all those other games no one put very much time into those games before launch maybe just one stress test weekend or open beta weekend.. not to mention the information let out was very limited. Still don't see how you can't see a difference between this game and the ones of the past 5 years when it comes to this. And in blue it has more content than any other AAA mmo ever at launch and probably more than many that have been around for awhile.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Baddogbill

Then 3 months down the road a lot of them will be gone like every theme park game offers. It is only good for the moment, nothing more.

Better to have enjoyed the moment ,be it one month or three months or 3 years then sitting on  the side lines having cut off your nose to spite your face ...if the fact that others have fun bothers you it's a sad place you live in and I hope your misery doesn't get too much company .

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Too much positivity can draw the ire of certain people who make sure you're tempering it with skepticism. It's projection, isn't your fault and should be ignored unless you feel you have information helpful to them or others that may be reading. Debating is great but it seems recently the point isn't discussion but pesterring a fanbase.

For Guild Wars 2 there is cause for actual hype since it's based upon actual gameplay mechanics, not just cordoned off content featuring the same old mechanics. I'm hyped big time, not blindly and I agree that six days from now you won't see me here much unless I'm on my phone :)
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Being constantly bombarded as to the awesomeness of the game and told all other games fail in comparison can get old pretty quickly...regardless of if it is true or not.

The excessive zeal of some members of the community actually hurt the game rather than promote it.

Originally posted by Psychow

Being constantly bombarded as to the awesomeness of the game and told all other games fail in comparison can get old pretty quickly...regardless of if it is true or not.

The excessive zeal of some members of the community actually hurt the game rather than promote it.

very few people on here I have seen say GW2 makes ALL other games look fail.. see WAY more putting out false assumptions/conclusions on a game they have no interest in and never played though.. that is getting old.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• FreakrxFreakrx Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by eGumball

There´s a different between different kind of hypes .. however, people don´t udnerstand.

SWTOR was hyped through the ip.

Diablo 3 was hyped through marketing.

Guild Wars 2 is hyped through players.

When people understand the difference, I think we will have a healthy community.

I couldn't have said it better.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Psychow

very few people on here I have seen say GW2 makes ALL other games look fail.. see WAY more putting out false assumptions/conclusions on a game they have no interest in and never played though.. that is getting old.

I agree the false info/hate gets old too. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

From Anet's GW2 Manifesto in August 2010:

Mike O'Brien:

We founded ArenaNet to innovate, so Guild Wars 2 is our opportunity to question everything, to make a game that defies existing conventions.
    Node farming. Drag n drop crafting. High fantasy setting. Cash shop in game. Esport pvp. Instanced dungeons. Heart quests. I don't feel these are innovative. I don't feel like they took an opportunity to question everything. Hype.

If you love MMOs, you'll want to check out Guild Wars 2, and if you hate MMOs, you'll really want to check out Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2
    So basically, everyone should want to play this game. Hype

Colin Johanson:

...and then when you play the combat in our game, you say 'Wow, that's incredible. I've never seen anything like that...
    I have seen this in a lot of games. Hype.

In most games, you go out, and you have really fun tasks, occasionally, that you get to do, and the rest of the game is this boring grind to get to the fun stuff. 'I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. Hey! I swung it again.' That's great.
    That was pretty much my experience with dynamic events. I did remedial tasks hoping to trigger something interesting. Hype.

Ree Soesbee:

As a structure, the MMO has lost the ability to make the player feel like a hero. Everybody around you is doing the same thing you are doing. The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes later. It doesn't care that I'm there.
    This one really rings false. Even totalbiscuit complained that events cycled too frequently and within minutes an area that he had been to before was already starting the cycle over again. Hype.

We do not want to build the same MMO everyone else is building, and in Guild Wars 2, it's your world. It's your story. You affect things around you in a very permanent way.
    It is a premade story with multiple premade choices. Affecting things around you in a permanent way? That is simply not true and has been confirmed by everyone playing this game. Hype.

I don't hate the game. I'm bringing up these points because they are a counter point to this discussion and felt they needed to be brought up. I'm sure you can reason away every point I made. Doesn't change the fact that this game was indeed hyped up years ago with this viral video by Anet. And not all of the things they claim ring true for everybody.

Originally posted by Foomerang

Mike O'Brien:

We founded ArenaNet to innovate, so Guild Wars 2 is our opportunity to question everything, to make a game that defies existing conventions.
    Node farming. Drag n drop crafting. High fantasy setting. Cash shop in game. Esport pvp. Instanced dungeons. Heart quests. I don't feel these are innovative. I don't feel like they took an opportunity to question everything. Hype.

If you love MMOs, you'll want to check out Guild Wars 2, and if you hate MMOs, you'll really want to check out Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2

Colin Johanson:

...and then when you play the combat in our game, you say 'Wow, that's incredible. I've never seen anything like that...

In most games, you go out, and you have really fun tasks, occasionally, that you get to do, and the rest of the game is this boring grind to get to the fun stuff. 'I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. Hey! I swung it again.' That's great.
    That was pretty much my experience with dynamic events. I did remedial tasks hoping to trigger something interesting. Hype.

Ree Soesbee:

As a structure, the MMO has lost the ability to make the player feel like a hero. Everybody around you is doing the same thing you are doing. The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes later. It doesn't care that I'm there.
    This one really rings false. Even totalbiscuit complained that events cycled too frequently and within minutes an area that he had been to before was already starting the cycle over again. Hype.

We do not want to build the same MMO everyone else is building, and in Guild Wars 2, it's your world. It's your story. You affect things around you in a very permanent way.
    It is a premade story with multiple premade choices. Affecting things around you in a permanent way? That is simply not true and has been confirmed by everyone playing this game. Hype.

I don't hate the game. I'm bringing up these points because they are a counter point to this discussion and felt they needed to be brought up. I'm sure you can reason away every point I made. Doesn't change the fact that this game was indeed hyped up years ago with this viral video by Anet. And not all of the things they claim ring true for everybody.

you really trying to not understand? in 2010 it was hype.. how is it just hype now after thousands have played the game? after thousands have put tons of hours into the game.. how now there is thousands of hours of gameplay footage on almost every aspect of the game?... I'm just dumbfounded how people can't see the difference in this. Also in red your Home instance does have permanet effects depending on what you do in your personal story. Also some of those others are just your opinions on those aspects of the game nothing more.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I think the only real question mark left is if the game will last players beyond a month or two before they get bored..

I know the WvW will keep me entertained,but you never know till we get there.

I do know that I probably wont be going back to the DE's I did at level one when Im max level..

unless theyre REALLY entertaining,I cant see myself doing that.

you really trying to not understand? in 2010 it was hype.. how is it just hype now after thousands have played the game? after thousands have put tons of hours into the game.. how now there is thousands of hours of gameplay footage on almost every aspect of the game?... I'm just dumbfounded how people can't see the difference in this. Also in red your Home instance does have permanet effects depending on what you do in your personal story. Also some of those others are just your opinions on those aspects of the game nothing more.

Oh I understand fully. The point of my devil's advocate post is that people have different views of hype because their expectations and interpretations are vastly different. You even said yourself that those were my opinions. Yet you imply that my opinions are wrong and yours are right. Neither are either heh. Same with hype. Hype exists on a person by person basis. And there is no right or wrong answer.
    I'm sorry you unwittingly proved my point. My point was never to say GW2 is overhyped. I just said my opinion on the matter. My opinion only. Speaking for myself only. My interpretation of things that Anet said themselves. There is no right or wrong.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525

Mike O'Brien:

Lets look at an MMO and find everything they copied from it, things that are quite hard to get away from.

And their node farming is different you dont mention no competition,

drag n drop crafting? they at least require you to make the parts for a lot of items rather than "oh you got 5 wood and 3 silver, here's an axe, enjoy",

high fantasy setting, the game is based off of the books and the lore behind it, not much they could do about that

Cash shop, but not P2W, they have to make money and at least you dont HAVE to buy anything and you can buy it with IN GAME currency unlike other games

Esport pvp, not really that common but they did it in GW1 and the skill based is based around it

Instanced dungeons, sorry forgot all dungeons had to be open world and at least raid bosses arent instanced, but you failed to mention that.

Heart quests, dont have to turn them in, can do whatever combination of things you want, but you'll ignore that.

Misinformation

Colin Johanson:

This exact combat system? I think not, misinformation

Becuase you probly only made it maybe through the very first zone, and didn't go past another, misinformation

Ree Soesbee:

Was changed in BWE3 BECAUSE of the high player base and since you would make a new char every few levels to try everything out. Not supposed to do that, was for one BWE, wasn't that way in the stress tests after. misinformation

Sorry, forgot where if DEs failed the world around me stayed the same, or that every story could have different endings depending on your choices doesn't make it your story. Misinformation

All you are doing is throwing out misinformation to warrant people about the game and how you assume that this game is not what it should be because of it. You have done this so many times that I can't believe you still believe this anymore. Get some real facts and stop listening to all the naysayers and passing over the people like Aerowyn who have proven you and other wrong so many times in the past and assume that they are just part of the hype train and they don't know any better.

Oh I understand fully. The point of my devil's advocate post is that people have different views of hype because their expectations and interpretations are vastly different. You even said yourself that those were my opinions. Yet you imply that my opinions are wrong and yours are right. Neither are either heh. Same with hype. Hype exists on a person by person basis. And there is no right or wrong answer.
    I'm sorry you unwittingly proved my point. My point was never to say GW2 is overhyped. I just said my opinion on the matter. My opinion only. Speaking for myself only. My interpretation of things that Anet said themselves. There is no right or wrong.

Wow, just wow. I posted my thing and honestly called your reaction to Aerowyn perfectly. You literally ignore people like him because you assume he's on the hype train when the information is out there for you. I can't even believe you are that ignorant.

Originally posted by eggy08

Originally posted by Foomerang From Anet's GW2 Manifesto in August 2010: Mike O'Brien:

We founded ArenaNet to innovate, so Guild Wars 2 is our opportunity to question everything, to make a game that defies existing conventions. Node farming. Drag n drop crafting. High fantasy setting. Cash shop in game. Esport pvp. Instanced dungeons. Heart quests. I don't feel these are innovative. I don't feel like they took an opportunity to question everything. Hype. Lets look at an MMO and find everything they copied from it, things that are quite hard to get away from. And their node farming is different you dont mention no competition, drag n drop crafting? they at least require you to make the parts for a lot of items rather than "oh you got 5 wood and 3 silver, here's an axe, enjoy", high fantasy setting, the game is based off of the books and the lore behind it, not much they could do about that Cash shop, but not P2W, they have to make money and at least you dont HAVE to buy anything and you can buy it with IN GAME currency unlike other games Esport pvp, not really that common but they did it in GW1 and the skill based is based around it Instanced dungeons, sorry forgot all dungeons had to be open world and at least raid bosses arent instanced, but you failed to mention that. Heart quests, dont have to turn them in, can do whatever combination of things you want, but you'll ignore that. Misinformation  

If you love MMOs, you'll want to check out Guild Wars 2, and if you hate MMOs, you'll really want to check out Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 So basically, everyone should want to play this game. Hype   Colin Johanson:

...and then when you play the combat in our game, you say 'Wow, that's incredible. I've never seen anything like that... I have seen this in a lot of games. Hype. This exact combat system? I think not, misinformation   In most games, you go out, and you have really fun tasks, occasionally, that you get to do, and the rest of the game is this boring grind to get to the fun stuff. 'I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. Hey! I swung it again.' That's great.
    That was pretty much my experience with dynamic events. I did remedial tasks hoping to trigger something interesting. Hype. Becuase you probly only made it maybe through the very first zone, and didn't go past another, misinformation Ree Soesbee: As a structure, the MMO has lost the ability to make the player feel like a hero. Everybody around you is doing the same thing you are doing. The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes later. It doesn't care that I'm there.
    This one really rings false. Even totalbiscuit complained that events cycled too frequently and within minutes an area that he had been to before was already starting the cycle over again. Hype. Was changed in BWE3 BECAUSE of the high player base and since you would make a new char every few levels to try everything out. Not supposed to do that, was for one BWE, wasn't that way in the stress tests after. misinformation   We do not want to build the same MMO everyone else is building, and in Guild Wars 2, it's your world. It's your story. You affect things around you in a very permanent way.
    It is a premade story with multiple premade choices. Affecting things around you in a permanent way? That is simply not true and has been confirmed by everyone playing this game. Hype. Sorry, forgot where if DEs failed the world around me stayed the same, or that every story could have different endings depending on your choices doesn't make it your story. Misinformation I don't hate the game. I'm bringing up these points because they are a counter point to this discussion and felt they needed to be brought up. I'm sure you can reason away every point I made. Doesn't change the fact that this game was indeed hyped up years ago with this viral video by Anet. And not all of the things they claim ring true for everybody. All you are doing is throwing out misinformation to warrant people about the game and how you assume that this game is not what it should be because of it. You have done this so many times that I can't believe you still believe this anymore. Get some real facts and stop listening to all the naysayers and passing over the people like Aerowyn who have proven you and other wrong so many times in the past and assume that they are just part of the hype train and they don't know any better.  

For combat, he said "never seen anything like that". I've seen a lot of combat like this. You countered with "exact combat system". Like and exact are two entirely different things. I'm just going off of what Colin said.

Unless you can prove that events never repeat, then there is no permanence in them. If every event only happened once and never repeated, that would be permanent. But they do. They are designed to.

Again. This isn't a bash GW2 post. I was trying to get people to understand that hype is open to interpretation.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Mike O'Brien:

They said that they questioned everything, not changed everything.  It does defy some existing conventions.  I will accept what he said as acceptable, and dismiss your charges as you hyping it up beyond the actual meaning.  :)

No, everyone should check it out!  That's good solid advice.  Lots of people who love MMOs and even people who hate MMOs have ended up liking GW2.  Saying people should check out your game isn't hype, that's suggesting that people should look at it and they might like it.  More misreading on your part. :)

Colin Johanson:

Well, I'd say the combat has its own spin, but I'll accept that this is Colin being overly excitable about his combat.  I'd say it's different in its own ways, but not to the point where everybody playing it is going to be agog over the differences.

I had fun pretty much the whole time!  More than usual.  This is a your mileage may vary thing.  It's like saying 'This racing game will blow you away'.  Well.  Not if you don't like racing games.  :)

Ree Soesbee:

Everything Ree Soesbee talks about is personal story.  They even pointed this out within a couple weeks of the manifesto coming out, in multiple sources.  I'd say this isn't so much hype as confusing people because it's unclear what she's talking about.  She's being honest, just... honest about something other than people appear to think she is.  They should probably have re-edited the manifesto to have a little * and a footnote at the bottom whenever she talks.  This also applies to the quote directly below, since there ARE things permanently changed for you in the personal story.

I'll agree some things are your mileage may vary type things, but some of the things they've said you're reading the wrong way, or are actually factual when you say they're not.  Personal story really does have permanent changes in it that affect what happens with your character and their (instanced) environment. :)

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    People are generally just disillusioned with the genre, the last few games that were hyped were disappoinments.  By their logic, that means anything hyped is doomed to disappoint in the same way.  Statiscally, that's impossible.

This pretty much sums it up

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Aerowyn you really trying to not understand? in 2010 it was hype.. how is it just hype now after thousands have played the game? after thousands have put tons of hours into the game.. how now there is thousands of hours of gameplay footage on almost every aspect of the game?... I'm just dumbfounded how people can't see the difference in this. Also in red your Home instance does have permanet effects depending on what you do in your personal story. Also some of those others are just your opinions on those aspects of the game nothing more.
      Oh I understand fully. The point of my devil's advocate post is that people have different views of hype because their expectations and interpretations are vastly different. You even said yourself that those were my opinions. Yet you imply that my opinions are wrong and yours are right. Neither are either heh. Same with hype. Hype exists on a person by person basis. And there is no right or wrong answer. I'm sorry you unwittingly proved my point. My point was never to say GW2 is overhyped. I just said my opinion on the matter. My opinion only. Speaking for myself only. My interpretation of things that Anet said themselves. There is no right or wrong.
    Wow, just wow. I posted my thing and honestly called your reaction to Aerowyn perfectly. You literally ignore people like him because you assume he's on the hype train when the information is out there for you. I can't even believe you are that ignorant.

Thats not what I was saying at all. You missed the point of my thread and called me ignorant. I don't appreciate that. Sorry you misunderstood me. Sorry if you were offended.

... why does everybody think poor Aerowyn is a guy?

I hope she doesn't have to worry about that problem in real life. :(

Originally posted by Meowhead
     I'll agree some things are your mileage may vary type things, but some of the things they've said you're reading the wrong way, or are actually factual when you say they're not.  Personal story really does have permanent changes in it that affect what happens with your character and their (instanced) environment. :)

Mileage and interpretation do vary. Thats the point of my original reply. And no, I don't think personal story = permanence. I also don't think that choosing a hairstyle that your character will have forever means the game has "permanence" lol. You get where I'm coming from :)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by eGumball

When people understand the difference, I think we will have a healthy community.

First time for everything, you got my vote!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Mileage and interpretation do vary. Thats the point of my original reply. And no, I don't think personal story = permanence. I also don't think that choosing a hairstyle that your character will have forever means the game has "permanence" lol. You get where I'm coming from :)

.... but that is specifically what she was talking about.  So it's not false.

You could say it's CONFUSING.  It's confusing as heck.  Since I've been reading GW2 information since the original magazine article, I got to read all the interview explanations where they went "Oh no!  no.  No.  Ree Soesbee?  She's talking abou the personal story."

Most people never saw those.

... but it's not false, it's merely confusing.  ... and the decisions are permanent, since you can't take them back.

I would say that character creation (Barring some method of changing it later) would be a permanent thing.   You're stuck with it.  Well, the decisions made in personal story, you're stuck with those.  Fail to rescue an NPC, you won't see them again. 

It has permanence in the same sense any SRPG does.  (In the parts that are more like an SRPG, of course. :P )

Originally posted by Meowhead

... why does everybody think poor Aerowyn is a guy?

I hope she doesn't have to worry about that problem in real life. :(

I swear to god, I saw a post a long time back when someone said he/she and he circled HE, though his profile says otherwise. I could be mistaken thou