Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does it usually take for you to RAGE QUIT a MMO?

2»

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Vhaln

The only MMO I ever rage quit was DAOC.  That took me just long enough to accept what TOA had done to the game.

Haven't cared about an MMO enough to rage quit, since then.  Usually more like just get bored and wander off.

Yeah I think on the whole you do it once and then realise you've been a bit of a dickhead and never let a game get under you skin that deep again.

Problem is, that's when MMO's have been the most fun, by far.  When they do get under your skin so much, when you invest a part of your life to that extent, rather than just playing whatever to pass the time until the next one.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I don't rage quit MMO since there is no "quiting" F2P MMOs.

I do rage quit groups, but that  is a completely different animal.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Never rage quit before. Hardest rage in an MMO though was in EVE. I lost a lot but it was mostly my fault.
  • stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Only MMO i have ever rage quit as such was Mortal Online. 

After playing the game for about 3 hours and not getting anywhere, or even being able to work out how to do the most basic things, and getting ganked repeatedly in towns when just walking around, i got more and more frustrated and eventually just said "Fuck This" and quit and uninstalled the game.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I often spend huge amounts of time researching different character mechanics before I even get started in an MMO. And then of course I work hard learning to actually play my character afterward.

So when devs step in and turn the whole thing upside down on me (read nerfing), I'm prone to the rage quit. And especially so when they start pulling this kind of crap every other week. Change just for the sake of change. And most often ill-conceived change. Sometimes seemingly just to keep their own pay checks rolling in?

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433

Instances and quest based leveling.

When I see that its immeditately obvious I'm playing a WoW clone.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I did it with only one MMO and I wasnt really raging..

just highly dissappointed becuase I WANTED to play,but the bugs and lag prohibited me from doing so.

that game was Anarchy Online.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i tried to grind pvp to rank 40 in rift and i rage cancelled and uninstalled at how terrible the pvp was. Only game ive ever raged in , in my life and i feel dirty....
  • TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433

The biggest rage quit I had was, after years of following LotRO (then called Middle Earth Online), after years of it calling itself a sandbox MMO... it then launched and renamed itself... and I tried to wander around exploring. I kept hitting invisible walls and random hills that shouldn't exist, and finding dungeons that said "you cannot enter here without x quest"... and then I reached a zone that auto killed me because I wasn't the right level for it.

I'd avoided all the aggro, didn't touch any mobs. I just got zapped from the sky for being a low level character.

I uninstalled that day.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Usually when I am truly wronged in an MMO -- whether it be a nerf to my character that ruins its character conception -- or a thing in a guild like the time I was docked 50 dkp for following orders -- I do a self enforced 1 week vacation from the game.  About half the time I return and half the time I do not.  Some games have had multiple moments like this but never more than three. 

I have also had other times where I have left a game simply because it is no longer fun, the endgame is not anything like the game before it, the realization that good items will only drop for other classes and never your own by design(divina) where I knew when I stopped playing that I was not coming back -- in some cases that I was not coming back until an expansion or significant change to the game.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    I never reach a point where I RAGE in a video game. I can tell very quickly if an MMO has features that will end up frustrating me, and I won't play them.
  • cartermaticcartermatic Member Posts: 53
    the only time i ever "rage quit" or alt-f4 is when im playing LoL. that games solo q ranked system is so broken it annoys the crud outta me! and its not like i quit the game mid game. i only f4 when the game ends lol.  some people in that game tho.. i swear they are just braindead.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Never really quit playing any mmorpg for getting me that angry. But had plenty of frustrating sessions, with the most predominant ones being my time in Vana'diel. With so much dependence on grouping to progress, coupled with the risk of losing a level if your group wipes...oh yeah. I've had popped more than a few stress toys on that mmorpg. But you know what, I wouldn't change my experience with it one bit.

It made out of me a better, more patient gamer. But ragequit a mmo....never. I wouldn't give a mmorpg that pleasure.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• RheanonRheanon Member UncommonPosts: 130
    I don't really rage quit but I have quit games when the devs have nerfed my class and/or the game itself beyond recognition, or when their way of keeping subs is adding 10 more levels, instances, and dungeons with same old same old grind.  I quit when player crafted items are no longer better than dungeon drops, and  when they nerf player run-economies to extinction.   When all these happen,  I don't fly into a rage.  I simply unsubscribe and uninstall.  There is always some other game company who will gladly accept my sub money :)
  • chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

I don't rage quit anything.

I gave up on SWTOR after finding myself at a loss for things to do after maxing my character. Along with this I also reluctantly took over leadership of the guild when a large number of members left due to drama issues. The remaining members were unfortunately mostly "leftovers" and not all greatly skilled. I appointed a raid leader as I am primarily a Pvper and then found myself in the middle of further drama. An intense argument with a real life friend about how the raid groups were being selected sealed the decision I was already entertaining. My time in SWTOR was over.

Ultimately the thing about the game that annoyed me the most is that the raid finishes and gear were so easy to get and yet people would still complain about a lack of instant gratification. Too many people didn't want to work for anything or worse if they didn't get gear on the first or second run they would complain endlessly about too many of their class in the the group.

The pvp was trashed by all of the kill trading farmers in Ilum. I should have picked up on this clue to start with. If there is a way for all of the entitled players to exploit a broken game mechanic and they overwhelmingly decide to take advantage of such a feature, then I know I am not going to get along well with most of the community.

Rage quit; no. I just can't hang with the "instant gratification" and "I am entitled" crowd any longer. These MMOs that are produced with an "everyone gets a trophy' model seem to be making the communities worse rather than better.

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    What does it usually take for you to RAGE QUIT a MMO?

like what is your limit before you snap and leave/unsub to a mmo?

what does it have to do to cause you to rage and leave?

what does the community have to do for you to rage and leave?

1. Poor community Help

2. Just oversightly Bugs and glitches

3. Poor gameplay

4. A clone of a clone

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    I have never rage quit anything.  It's immature.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• Afro-ThunderAfro-Thunder Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I usually leave before it gets to the rage point.

Typically, I leave a game when my game play gets to one or more of these conditions:

Playing seems more of a chore or job rather than something fun.

Crafting becomes useless or a waste of time.

Daily quests or events are the highlights.

pvp becomes an arms race of he who grinds more gear wins.

progression equals gear treadmills and gear gated content.

The above are why I am mmoless at the moment, nor do I stick around in them for long like I used to.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    I have never rage quit anything.  It's immature.

Is it nice living in utopia?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by waynejr2

I don't rage.

yeah, me either. I dont' rage.

For me it's more like "oh, I haven't wanted to log in for a while. Oh well, I'm done".

Something like that.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo