Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your favourite RPG game

wungunwungun Member Posts: 67

You can favour more than one RPG game and share it with us on this thread, so i'll start with mine.

So far Skyrim is my favourite because of it's beautiful world design, gameplay improvements over the previous title (Oblivion), slaying dragons and the kickass theme song! image

Honourable mentions also are

KOTOR (the first one, never played the second one though)

Mount and Blade Warband (the best swordplay game ever imo)

Fallout 3 (the best post-apocalyptic RPG I've ever played)

Diablo 2 (Awesome franchise that started the Action-RPG genre, correct me if I'm wrong)

Oblivion (This game was amazing at the time, but now I'm playing Skyrim)

Comments

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

wizardry 8

wizardry 7

amberstar

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Fallout 2

Other honorable mentions:

- Fallout 1

- Baldur's Gate 2

- Planescape Torment

- Morrowind

- Skyrim - though too much simplification and streamlining - if they go further down this line with next TESO - I won't buy it

I consider Diablo as a hack & slash genre, not crpg.

Mount & Blade is combat / tactic game & deatchmatch pvp multiplayer - I also don't consider it an rpg.  Well there is crpg mod, but I guess we talk un-modded version.

• wungunwungun Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by fenistil

Fallout 2

- Fallout 1

- Baldur's Gate 2

- Planescape Torment

- Morrowind

- Skyrim - though too much simplification and streamlining - if they go further down this line with next TESO - I won't buy it

Mount & Blade is combat / tactic game & deatchmatch pvp multiplayer - I also don't consider it an rpg.  Well there is crpg mod, but I guess we talk un-modded version.

Well Mount and Blade does have Skills, Attributes and Levels which contribute to character progression, so it's an RPG :D

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by wungun

Fallout 2

- Fallout 1

- Baldur's Gate 2

- Planescape Torment

- Morrowind

Well Mount and Blade does have Skills, Attributes and Levels which contribute to character progression, so it's an RPG :D

By that definition Call of Duty is also an RPG and actually 2/3 of games are.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Morrowind I guess. It's one of the very few games i've sunk years into playing.

I haven't finished it yet, but Divine Divinity is also turning out really good.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Dragon Age: Origins for me, some close ones would be the mass effect series and the witcher series. 
  • WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

Hmm my all time fav rpg would have to be Xenogears. 

when it comes to ps2 i really loved Suikoden 4

ps1 honerable mention wild arms.

ps3 Way of the samurai 3 i consider this a rpg because the sword lvls which is pretty much you lvling

xbox360 caught between new vegas and skyrim burning man legend was awsome, but I love skyrims gameplay

Xbox was Morrowind i used to jump from rooftop to rooftop in my chitan armor and dia katana.

N64 would have been Zelda ocarana of time

Snes Chrono Trigger

sega Shining Force 2

Sega Saturn Shining force 3

GBA Golden Sun

NDS Dragon quest 9

GB pokemon red

nintendo final fantasy 1 even thou for the first couple months i didn't explore past the first town because non of the villagers told you where tp go it wasnt tell i got brave that i found there was more to it. 

Game gear shining force gaiden

Game cube Windwaker

Wii monster hunter tri

PC would have been KOTOR 2 cause Exile was just my fav char of all time. 

• wungunwungun Member Posts: 67

Fallout 2

- Fallout 1

- Baldur's Gate 2

- Planescape Torment

- Morrowind

By that definition Call of Duty is also an RPG and actually 2/3 of games are.

Call out Duty doesn't have any character progression nor any feature to do up any attributes or skills other than leveling up and unlocking new weapons and perks. So that's a very bad example because it clearly isn't an RPG and Mount and Blade is. I do agree that Mount and Blade is an action/tactics game but it's also an RPG.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Planescape
    Morrowind
    Skyrim
    Tsw (yeah its a mmo, but you can play it a very good rpg)
    Witcher2
    Ocarina of time
    Paper mario
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Baulder's Gate series

Arcanum

Icewind Dale series

NWN (never finished the second one)

Ultima Underworld series

Ultima series

... to name a few.  If had to pick one would say Arcanum.  I absolutely loved the technology and magika mix and blended it in very well.  Sadly it lacked support and any continuation of the IP.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Pretty much anything from Bethesda Game Studios. I've played every major PC RPG game they've produced since TES: Arena and loved every one. to this day I'm still playing Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas (I know its from Obsidian but it still uses Bethesda's engine and art assets). Just these 4 games will give me years of gaming enjoyment from the base games and from all of the Mods available. I also played Arena for over a year, Daggerfall for over 3 years and Morrowind for over 6 years. Bethesda Game Studios is the only game company left that I'll preorder a game from or will buy a game on release day.

Zenimax Online Studios is another matter all together however. So far their DAOC 2 with an Elder Scrolls paint job hasn't impressed me at all. I think I'll probably skip that one entirely as will many Elder Scrolls fans. Putting the name "Elder Scrolls" on what they're producing should be a crime.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Baldurs Gate I and II

Icewind Dale I and II

Morrowind

It just does not get any better that these.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

D&D pen and paper

but if we are talking about electronic games...... then

Final Fantasy VII and Neverwinters Night

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

Final Fantasy 6 (yes i said it, not 7 i know, what a surprise)

basically it had everything, the most annoying bad guy ever (Kefka), each of your characters had a interesting back story and was refelected later in the game when you had to find them all to get them back into your party.  

It also had some of the best hidden caves with interesting weapons that changed combat effectivness completely 

and come on, listen to this music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6ts3p2HQhk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z2oHBHEDng

makes me just want to adventure again and again :)

Other rpg's that are brilliant:

Tales of Synphonia (Game cube)

Final Fantasy I-X2 (plus i started liking FF13-2 as well)

Zelda Ocarina of time :) (plus many of the other zelda games)

• monster8memonster8me Member UncommonPosts: 27

favorite would prob be final fantasy 9 (princess garnet at that time.....damn =p)

playing fallout 3 while waiting to lose some myself with gw2

others ive loved:

dragon age orgins

with op on mount and blade warband unmoded and the floris mod i can eaisly lose myself in that one as well

• monster8memonster8me Member UncommonPosts: 27
    sorry double post

• - Ultima 7 (either part and their expansions)

- Betrayal at Krondor

- Diablo 2

- The Dark Queen of Krynn

- Baldur's Gate 2

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

zelda and oregon trail

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Neverwinter NIghts hands down.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

Phantasy Star (Sega Master System)

Lunar The Silver Star Story (Playstation Version)

Lunar Eternal Blue (Playstation Version)

Skyrim (PC)

Dark Age Of Camelot (For a MMORPG)

• StarfiredStarfired Member UncommonPosts: 28

Fallout 2

- Fallout 1

- Baldur's Gate 2

- Planescape Torment

- Morrowind

So apparently a game that has skills attribute and levels make the game a 'role playing game'. Ok gotcha

• StarfiredStarfired Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by Thewiz91

Favorite Console games:  Xenogears, Final Fantasy 7, and Star Ocean: Until The End of Time

Favorite PC RPG's: Everquest2, Final Fantasy 14, SWTOR, and some WGT

I thought FF14 sucked? I cant wait for the reborn thing, i miss final fantasy

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

Unquestionably, Fallout 2 followed closely by Fallout 1.  Hands down the best RPG's that I have ever played.  For their time, at least.

For more modern RPGs, DA: Origins for sure.   Not to many others though...I do not manage to finish most modern RPGs, unfortunately.  Get bored before I get to "the end".   

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Wasteland.

Fallout.

• CeleustaCeleusta Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by Weretigar

Hmm my all time fav rpg would have to be Xenogears. 

when it comes to ps2 i really loved Suikoden 4

ps1 honerable mention wild arms.

ps3 Way of the samurai 3 i consider this a rpg because the sword lvls which is pretty much you lvling

xbox360 caught between new vegas and skyrim burning man legend was awsome, but I love skyrims gameplay

Xbox was Morrowind i used to jump from rooftop to rooftop in my chitan armor and dia katana.

N64 would have been Zelda ocarana of time

Snes Chrono Trigger

sega Shining Force 2

Sega Saturn Shining force 3

GBA Golden Sun

NDS Dragon quest 9

GB pokemon red

nintendo final fantasy 1 even thou for the first couple months i didn't explore past the first town because non of the villagers told you where tp go it wasnt tell i got brave that i found there was more to it. 

Game gear shining force gaiden

Game cube Windwaker

Wii monster hunter tri

PC would have been KOTOR 2 cause Exile was just my fav char of all time. 

That list and the BoF IV avatar picture leads me to believe you are a gentleman of discriminating taste. I enjoyed pretty much all of these games except for KOTOR.

I'm not sure if you still have your saturn, but as a fellow Shining Force player, I really recommend Shining the Holy Ark. Personally I liked it better than SF3. It's more similar to Shining in the Darkness on Mega Drive (Wizardry style exploration and battles), really has a great atmosphere and is a lot of fun.

Honestly, there are so many great RPGs that it's hard to narrow down a favorite for me.