Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HoM rewards worth going for at this point?

syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

I'm not much of a hardcore fan, so I haven't been following GW2 news.  In fact, I only just learned about HoM rewards yesterday.  It wasn't like the link to the HoM information was gigantic and stuck out enough to grab my attention, so only pure luck led me to viewing it.  

I have all of the expansions for the original Guild Wars, but very few achievements.  I also have some fairly decent characters built, so any achievements I may need should be attainable.  My main character has about 55 platinum.  I have no idea if that is a lot, or like typical MMOs where the economy scales so your "lots of money" one day is worth next to nothing a year down the road.

So, are the HoM rewards going to be like most other MMOs, where items you are given at level 1 are useless in 20 minutes of play?  Are they purely cosmetic?  Are they worth attempting to get in the short time left before the game releases?  I know I can get them after release, but how much do you think you would play GW1 when GW2 is released?

Disclaimer for ultra-hardcore elitist snobs:  Flame me for not knowing if you must, but realize that I have a life and it does not involve sifting through every tidbit of GW2 information.

Comments

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    the HoM rewards are almost all cosmetic, my advice is not to stress out but go back later to get your 30 pts and enjoy the items when you get them, however if you say have all your heros or undedicated minis, armor or weapons go do that.. get your heros their upgraded armors and dedicate them for some fast points that do not cost a whole lot. The wiki page on HoM is very handy and can be access from GW1 by pressing F10

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by ariboersma
    the HoM rewards are almost all cosmetic, my advice is not to stress out but go back later to get your 30 pts and enjoy the items when you get them, however if you say have all your heros or undedicated minis, armor or weapons go do that.. get your heros their upgraded armors and dedicate them for some fast points that do not cost a whole lot. The wiki page on HoM is very handy and can be access from GW1 by pressing F10

so you can still earn them after launch then? i've been meaning to go for them, but i've been beset by a combination of busy and no idea how to even start earning them. i was thinking i might go for it this week while i'm bored out of my mind before launch.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    no
    Originally posted by atticusbc

so you can still earn them after launch then? i've been meaning to go for them, but i've been beset by a combination of busy and no idea how to even start earning them. i was thinking i might go for it this week while i'm bored out of my mind before launch.

if they end the rewards they said they would give ample notice so you have plenty of time to finish up later.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Honestly no it's not unless you are a GW1 fan.

Really all the rewards are just fan service for GW veterans as the looks of the rewards come from the original game. So for me, as someone who has played GW since it released, it was worth to get them. For someone who had no interest in Guild Wars then it is absolutely not worth the effort (unless you enjoy playing GW1)

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262
    God no, spare yourself the trouble
  • PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

double post

• PilutPilut Member Posts: 47

I dont think it's worth going for 30 if you havent got a lot of it done already at this point, especially since the items you get in GW2 are cosmetic. The problem right now is that there wont be much to buy from other players since a lot will stop playing the game (I think), so how much money you have matters little.

There are a few people who give stuff away for free nowadays though so logging on might get you some items.

I would recommend doing the Wayfarers Reverie quests they just added, you get a free tormented weapon for those quests, which will give you 2 points in the HoM if you have no weapons there at all.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

I mainly got my 30/50 points so that I would have all the possible available Ranger pets.  However, you can still use the other items late in game anytime you like.  What you want from these HoM items is the "skin" of that item since if you like the Hom "skin" you can use an in-game item to transfer that "skin" to another item of that same "type".

You can get the HoM points anytime you like even after GW2 launch.

For me it was worth it just to get back into the GW mood.

Originally posted by Rhonen

I mainly got my 30/50 points so that I would have all the possible available Ranger pets.  However, you can still use the other items late in game anytime you like.  What you want from these HoM items is the "skin" of that item since if you like the Hom "skin" you can use an in-game item to transfer that "skin" to another item of that same "type".

You can get the HoM points anytime you like even after GW2 launch.

For me it was worth it just to get back into the GW mood.

this is sort of how I felt except the HoM made me learn about what a great game it really was after hearing a lot of bad things about it after the original release.

as to worth.. that is up to each person but since the OP asked about it I think he wants the items eventually but can wait since they are cosmetic.

• Matheusor1Matheusor1 Member Posts: 174

Decide for yourself.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by atticusbc

Yes.   So I stopped worrying about it.   I'll get my 50 points eventually.   Maybe.   Possibly.   No, I kid myself.   I'll probably never get 50 points...    I have yet to even dedicate my mini-pets...

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I was pursuing the HoM points up until a couple weeks ago and then decided...meh. Maybe I'll ask my nephews to grind them out for me or something in the future.

Entirely possible I'll do a bit here and there myself way down the road but it's just too much time for just cosmetic rewards at this point.

• Miotoss03Miotoss03 Member Posts: 34
    Doing everything myself with no bought gold it took me 6 months to get 31/50
    Originally posted by Miotoss03
    Doing everything myself with no bought gold it took me 6 months to get 31/50

really? it only took me max 3 months to get 33 pts but I had a lot of time to play. I also didnt buy any gold.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

The items look pretty neat, but I'll wait until I feel like I have nothing better to do.  I think there may be more desirable cosmetic items in GW2, but that is difficult to predict.  Maybe certain items will be good for generating a certain look, in combination with GW2-earned items, like a reaper with that scythe.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll worry about installing GW1 again after the shinyness of GW2 wears off.

• ChristoooChristooo Member UncommonPosts: 86
    not worth unless you enjoy playing GW1 for me getting 30/50 wasn't really a grind but thats just me. I'll eventually get 50/50  because it shows up in the achievements in GW2 :P
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I would say no it's not worth going for at this point. I got 30/50 in a little more than a month with hubby. After finding out it's just a skin you apply to equipment you find ingame, I don't feel it's worth it. I thought it'd be like heirloom stuff from WoW. There are just as cool and much cooler items ingame that you won't even miss the HoM stuff, imo.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

I'm assuming you have seen the list of rewards on the website right?

It all depends on if there's anything you would like to get.

Personally I stopped at point 21.  I just want the Orrian undead baby chicken pet at point 15 and the rainbow jellyfish pet at point 20.

So if you don't see anything that you like from the list then don't bother with it.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I waited until a release date was announced to start my HOM, and i finished up the 30/50 mark almost two weeks ago.

I had lots of help from the in game community (which was awesome) , so it didn't take very long. A few even donated substantial amounts of gold to help me on my way, citing they weren't going to need it before switching to GW2.

I did it faster by buying all the expansions, so that might be a part of the equation if you havent played before.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    They're cosmetic. If that stuff really matters to you, than get them. Otherwise why bother?

• Miotoss03Miotoss03 Member Posts: 34
    I have 2 kids so my play time was lmited to 2 hours a day, but I t was a fun journy.
  • RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Even I was in GW1 since its first world preview in 2004, I played way too many characters and did many different things with my guildies most of the time so after I quit 5+ years later, I still didn't had finished Factions and Nightfall with one character (were using other ones for each campaign and so on.. x_X).

Could kick myself for that. -_-

Anyway... I went back and saw that I already had around 17-18 points accomplished so I jumped in once in a while to get more points recently and I'm at 26 with one armor missing to go to 28.

After that all I need is 4 more titles to hit 30+.

The main reason why I want the 30 points is for the black widow pet. ^_^

So for me it's worth it mainly for the ranger pets and mini pets the HOM points offer. Everything else depends on the power of these weapons and if they are a relevant choice for later levels or only starter weapons one would replace with "normal" ones after a few levels already.

Through the transmutation possibility though, it's still good to have them so I can still take their skin and apply it to a high level weapon I will stick with at a later point so ultimately, it's worth having them aswell. :)

With 55 platin you can afford one of the lower cost armors like the monument armor at the eye of the north or the norn or the asura ones.

However, to be able to get one of those, you need to have reached level 5 of their title.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

The rewards are mostly cosmetic, but the pets are definitely nice to have.

However going from 0 - 30 points can be a pretty big chore, tbh. If you've beaten all the campaigns (EotN, Nightfall, Factions, Prophecies), then it will be a bit easier. If you try and do it all legitimately (ie. without buying some of the points), it's going to take you quite a while. You could probably do it in less than a month, but you'd have to be pretty deligent about it.

If you decide you want to buy some of your points, it's going to cost you somewhere between 500platinum - 1mil (in-game currency). This is mostly because the armor matts & weapons are really, really expensive (even moreso now that GW2 is releasing soon, all the HoM items have gone up in price).

So, the HoM won't give you any real perks power-wise. It won't make you lvl faster, and indeed will make you lvl slower if you have to stop playing GW2 for a time to focus on GW1. However, there are a few items that are pretty damned cool (black moa, and fellblade). If you like the looks, sure look into it. If not, don't waste your time.