Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a "Try it before u Buy it" for GW2?

2»

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by Matheusor1

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by Catibrie Highly popular MMOs dont offer free trials right away because they are getting people so fast at the start they are working so hard to keep the game stable that they dont want to add to that. Once things stable out they they will I am sure. My guess is the first 6 months will be a floodgate of paying customers and you wont see a trial in the first 6 months.
    I thought of this too.  They don't need to give free trials to try and prop up poor sales like TSW or Tera.  They'll have a steady influx of players for quite a while.
    It took Guild Wars years before they made a free trial

They already had a free trial option when Factions was released.

that was if you already owned the original game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Matheusor1 Originally posted by Eir_S Originally posted by Catibrie Highly popular MMOs dont offer free trials right away because they are getting people so fast at the start they are working so hard to keep the game stable that they dont want to add to that. Once things stable out they they will I am sure. My guess is the first 6 months will be a floodgate of paying customers and you wont see a trial in the first 6 months.
    I thought of this too.  They don't need to give free trials to try and prop up poor sales like TSW or Tera.  They'll have a steady influx of players for quite a while.
    might be right first free trial I see for GW1 was in 07

The Factions pre-order came with a key for a Trial Account.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    The only trial you could of had was BWE3, pretty much they gave out more than enough keys for people to play it and try it out. Too late as of now though.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Meh, it's $60. If I turn to my right I can look at 3 shelves of console and Pc games I never play.  They are just setting there laughing at me! I'm willing to bet that if you went out and purchased GW2, you would have more fun with that then any single player XBox 360 game for the same price. In fact, grab all your games that you never play and take them to Gamestop and trade them in. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by Matheusor1

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by Catibrie Highly popular MMOs dont offer free trials right away because they are getting people so fast at the start they are working so hard to keep the game stable that they dont want to add to that. Once things stable out they they will I am sure. My guess is the first 6 months will be a floodgate of paying customers and you wont see a trial in the first 6 months.
    might be right first free trial I see for GW1 was in 07

The Factions pre-order came with a key for a Trial Account.

even still you first needed someone to of bought the game  also not to mention this is a year after the original game was released.. so really who knows when GW2 will have a trial.... i'd say for people really interested spend awhile in youtube and see if it's something you might like.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Originally posted by xalvi
    The only trial you could of had was BWE3, pretty much they gave out more than enough keys for people to play it and try it out. Too late as of now though.

It was/is well known that Amazon bucked the system and offered pre-orders as well as the fact that Anet was providing refunds on pre-purchases as well.

• TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114
    no trial yet if you want to see lots of stuff on the game check out my sig.. I'd think they will have some sort of trial shortly after release but honestly who knows.

Curse that sig of yours!! 's What got me to pre-order ><

On topic: it's only $60 or so, Not the end of the world if OP drops the game after 10 hrs. There's shorter singleplayer games that cost just as much.

Originally posted by Tenkousei
    no trial yet if you want to see lots of stuff on the game check out my sig.. I'd think they will have some sort of trial shortly after release but honestly who knows.

Curse that sig of yours!! 's What got me to pre-order ><

On topic: it's only $60 or so, Not the end of the world if OP drops the game after 10 hrs. There's shorter singleplayer games that cost just as much.

:P

and I agree I have spent $60 on so many games I only got maybe 10 hours or so of gameplay out of..  hell many $60 single player games you can beat in 10 hours.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by Geschaefer

Ive wasted so much money on bogus games in the past.

I know its free to play; and 1 week to launch; but is there any open beta coming up or way to try it before u shell out the cash?

It seriously looks like anet isnt even going to have another stress test for prepurchase buyers at this point and i would not expect a trial any time soon..

What i can tell you is that i have been burned buying junk games more times than i care to mention and in my experience with GW2 from the closed beta right on through every BWE i can tell you this game is the real deal and actually meets or exceeds anets own manifesto and anet has not overhyped the game so you can go to the official site and get unhyped facts or you can look at Aerowyns GW2 video compilation..

After looking over some of the youtube footage if you feel like you might like this game the chances are very good that you will..

In my honest opinion i have never made a more sound gaming investment..

Playing GW2..

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I think the lack of a subscription lowers the barrier of entry enough that buying the box is the MMORPG equivalent of trying it before you buy it. I don't disagree with subscriptions, but every game with a subscription requires that commitment just to start playing.

I would expect that after awhile they'll have a trial version of the game..and if they don't, it means the game is selling well enough that they don't need one at all. That in itself would be a selling point.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289
    There are literally weeks of playermade footage of actual gameplay showcasing pretty much every aspect of the game. ArenNet have been very detailed about mechanics, game systems and their reasons to do things the way they did as well. I don't think we ever knew that much about a MMO before release. 
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    I doubt GW2 will offer a trial this year ---- next year maybe ;)
  • GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    GW1 has one, can't see why GW2 wouldn't.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

If your affraid of a SWTOR deja vu then i can say dont be.
    You can wait for a try before you buy option, but seriously iam the most sceptical gamer out there and after playing 1 beta i was sold, it sealed the deal after 10 minutes of playing GW2.

Check out youtube specialy the cons and pro's of GW2, if your then still not sure then dont buy it and wait for a trial.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by stragen001

Seriously? 

You have had more than enough opportunity to "try before you buy" already.

If you prepurchased or preordered you were able to get into all the beta weekends and stress tests, then cancel if you didnt like it(yes you could even cancel prepurcases and get a refund)

There were many many MANY BWE code giveaways before BWE3. 

You must have had to work particularly hard to not have got access to the game one way or the other...... 

FFS.

You got  it!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"