Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A question on my mind.

VoltjeVoltje Member Posts: 20

Hi!  

Im going to start this thread with saying this is my first one. I am not new to site but finaly got the nerve of asking the following question ( yeah prob fear of the grammar police):

Ive seen allot of gameplay (betatest-footage) of guildwars 2, but i did not have the privilege of actualy playing in the beta. Now that the release is so close, i do have to ask: How are the storylines?

Why am i asking? 

I have played WoW (yes i said wow) since vanilla and i realy loved the story accros Vanilla, Burning Crusade (well that one not so much .... realy expected more from gruul, magtheridon, etc ... ), Lich King (loved it!) and well Cata just dint feel quite well ... Then went over to Age of Conan, Rift, even got my foot in the door  with Warhammer and lets not forget  SWTOR -.- . But none of these game just had that touch like WoW. However over the years i have begon to dislike Blizzard for one reason:  they dont realy see their customers like human beings , just more like piggy banks ( same with this race patch now to counter Guildwars 2), so im looking at Guildwars 2 and wondering how is the feeling ? Is the game realy sucking you in ?

Plz beta-players give me your thoughts.

PS: excuse me for any / all grammar mistakes ^^ 

[CENTER]image

Comments

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

The storylines are ok. Nothing to make or break, imo.

That said, the game in general sucked me in 100%.

• ArcheangelArcheangel Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I have played WoW since the dawn of time (7 years or so lol) i didn't really care much about the story, as it was presented in novel length quest texts that would have made it to where i would never have played the game if i had read them. I am an explorer in games, i have oooh shiny syndrom when i play. Now don't get me wrong i am an avid reader, just not when i am playing an mmo. In gw2, you don't just read a story, and game a little. You experience a story as go game, it's very organic and doesn't leave you bored. I didn't get very far in the personal stories. I chose to ignore them until launch, but what i did do of them i rather enjoyed.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Voltje

Hi!  

Im going to start this thread with saying this is my first one. I am not new to site but finaly got the nerve of asking the following question ( yeah prob fear of the grammar police):

Ive seen allot of gameplay (betatest-footage) of guildwars 2, but i did not have the privilege of actualy playing in the beta. Now that the release is so close, i do have to ask: How are the storylines?

Why am i asking? 

I have played WoW (yes i said wow) since vanilla and i realy loved the story accros Vanilla, Burning Crusade (well that one not so much .... realy expected more from gruul, magtheridon, etc ... ), Lich King (loved it!) and well Cata just dint feel quite well ... Then went over to Age of Conan, Rift, even got my foot in the door  with Warhammer and lets not forget  SWTOR -.- . But none of these game just had that touch like WoW. However over the years i have begon to dislike Blizzard for one reason:  they dont realy see their customers like human beings , just more like piggy banks ( same with this race patch now to counter Guildwars 2), so im looking at Guildwars 2 and wondering how is the feeling ? Is the game realy sucking you in ?

Plz beta-players give me your thoughts.

PS: excuse me for any / all grammar mistakes ^^ 

Average at best but the rest of the game really shines.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    I found the storyline quite good, but only reason for that is because i played GW1 to. I can understand why other people barely keep track of the story. The PvP and gameplay feel in general is the thing that keeps me playing.
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176
    It's not great to be honest.  There are no real cutscenes (except for big bosses, not in the story) and I found myself skipping a lot of the conversations.  Generic fantasy drivel, but makes up for it with an engaging visual design. 
  • seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Unlike other MMORPGs Guild Wars 2 isn't a single player game disguised in an MMO. The personal stories left a mixed feeling, some of them are great, others not so much, depends on the individual stories. However, the "side quest" are very well made and more immersive than anything I've ever seen. You can't skip any of those dialogues as they happen in "real time", viewable in chat bubbles by everyone, which is an added plus for immersion, the game totally sucks you in the world of Tyria.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• VoltjeVoltje Member Posts: 20
    Well that sounds good, have to admit i loved the storyline's in SWTOR  ( <3 Vette ! :p)  But from what i understand the global events tell a story also?  (I remember rift atm )

[CENTER]image

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Originally posted by Voltje
    Well that sounds good, have to admit i loved the storyline's in SWTOR  ( <3 Vette ! :p)  But from what i understand the global events tell a story also?  (I remember rift atm )

Pretty much everything in the game, outside of the PvP, tells a story.  IF, and it's a big if, you choose to pay attention to it.

NPCs throughout the world all have things to say, and in the process reveal various bits of lore.   Dynamic events do often have things going on both before they start and after they end which weave a tapestry of lore.

If you care, and chose to pay attention, It is really all quite fascinating.

Personal stories are hit or miss.   I found some of them incredibly interesting and others just "meh".   But if stories and lore interest you, there is quite a bit of it in the game, for anyone willing to spend the time paying attention to it.

P.S. I also enjoyed the context/story in my time in WoW.   For me personally, I find GW2 to be alot more interesting in that regards.  Not necessarily because the stories are better, but because it's all just happening around you in GW2 instead of mostly delivered via large paragraphs of quest log text & cinematics.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

I am basing this on the impressions of others but, it seems as if just about every storyline has a different writer: there doesn't seem to be an overall style/theme to them. So opinions on the quality of the stories vary wildly. And because of that I don't think you can judge the entire story-aspect of the game based on just one chapter.

I can see myself playing through most story-chapters just to see what happens next.

• BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176
    Yeah, I mean you're not going to be on the edge of your seat like you might be in Mass Effect or Uncharted (heck, even SW:TOR) but they are passable, I guess.  
  • c-motc-mot Member UncommonPosts: 51

the story lines are fine.

maybe technically (cut scenes, vo) not as perfect as TSW or SWTOR, but there are 2 aspects that made them more rewarding for me than those. first you can specify some starting parameters for your personal quest (so its not the same quest you experience as any other human/charr... - like for example every other smuggler in SWTOR did) and second some of your choices really branch the story line (at least for a bit). i played the human story line to level 20 and on 2 occasions my answer lead to dfifferent quests in the next step.

in the end the story line is not that essential. i see it as a way to guide me to the next area for my level, but its no "must do" in GW2.

there is so much in the game and you can enjoy the game without ever doing 1 story line quest.

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281

What I would suggest OP.

Someone put up a forum with some Lore links attached to it. I listened to those and they were a good length which I like. They explain the backstory and the lore of GW1/2. I would suggest going to that forum and listenining to them.

I say it has potential, because while the personal story is blandish...I wasn't really paying to much attention to it. I think the overall story is great though. I really want to know more and intend to find as much lore on the game as I can throughout this week leading up to the release.

Definitely check out that forum post if you haven't already. I think that will help alot should you choose to buy the game. I would highly recommend it though. Also if you do buy it...when your done creating your character just take the time to understand the game before you go frollicking off. It really isn't played like WoW, Rift, etc. the quests and DE's are not in your face and a lot of things are tweaked or ourright different. Good luck none the less though.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I think the storylines are quite varied depending on the race. Some players will find the Human quests a little generic but others might love it because they feel like they relate to the story. For me I played through two storylines upto the last step over the beta weekends. Human commoner with missing sister and Asuran Synergetic school with Infinity device (I forget the name of the damn thing.)

While I was initially drawn into the human story after playing the Asura I fell in love with every aspect of them and couldn't wait for more storyline whereas the human storyline grabbed my interest but did not blow me away. Others may disagree.

I think it will really depend on your taste. I didn't really get into my Norn characters storyline either, while generally cool it just wasn't quite like playing an Asuran.

I love those little guys.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• Matheusor1Matheusor1 Member Posts: 174

Not sure how it goes after 30, but until then it depends on the race.

I don't like the sylvari themselves, but their personal story is far better than the other races. Asura's is pretty fun as well. Human and norn seem like the shallowest right now.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    this is hard to answer because some are really good and others.. well not so good. For instance I LOVE the Norn but really am not a fan of the story to lvl 20(the only one I played to the max in BWE's) but I really enjoyed the Sylvari and Asura PS and the human one was also pretty good.. im indifferent with the Char story and I didnt see much of it.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    The LORE of the Guild Wars universe is fantastic, so a lot of the real meat of the story might come into play later.  As it is, I voted "Good" but it's still a mixed bag.  I don't play MMO's for story, so I don't care either way.
  • DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

You might want to check out this link, it's Ree Soesbee talking about Personal Stories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv7j73VWVWs&list=UUP_FgMqOxp_VsM0UfrL-DxA&index=3&feature=plcp

From my perspective, the parts of the story that I played were good. Not great but good. But then again I only played one branch of the Charr line until level 15, so my experience is limited.

What I like about the idea is that the questions you answer in character creation shape the direction of your story, as does the race you choose, and the choices you make along the way. It's like one of those "choose your own adventure" books. So there will be a lot of diversity how your story plays about, leaving a lot of replayability. You could, I presume, even make the same profession/race chacter, but choose different options and get presented with a different personal story, though exactly how different is unclear at this point.

Apart from personal stories, when you find a scout on the map, he will tell you what is happening the the surrounding areas, including background lore, so that when you explore it is done in context. When you talk to characters in town, some of them will tell you more lore.

When you walk around, NPCs can run up to you and tell you that they need to talk to you to ask you for your help.

When you enter a dynamic event it's like you're walking in to part of a story, where you just partcipate without having to click on the "?". Instead of a NPC telling you "Oh, centaurs are attacking, go kill 10 of them and bring me their broken bows" while they wait in a field, the centaurs will be attacking and you are given a task to help, which you can chose to do or not.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

it's decent enough. i did enjoy doing them for two big reasons though: 1: level appropriate item rewards. there's no gear grind in gw2, but there is some gear progression. and while gear doesn't make a massive difference, it does make some difference, so it's nice to run through a story mission with the knowledge that there's a better whatsit on the other side. 2: hone your skills. the mobs in the story missions are, i found, tougher than usual. plus you're by your lonesome, so there's the need to practice all the skills you've learned up to that point.

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

Like others said, personal stories can be good and bad at times, but people often forget that it's not the only place where you get "stories" out of the game. 

All events have stories associated to them if you take the time to collect the bits of information (from the npc that asked for your help for instance, or from various npcs discussing all around you in real time,etc.).  If you run around just looking at the events objectives, clearing them, then moving to the next one, you will be missing on a lot of the background stories.

Personally. I started the game with the mindset of nowadays MMOs, that is to always have quests to do, and once I am out of them, I run to get new ones ASAP.  But I found that in this game, if I put on the breaks a little bit, I will get rewarded by being immersed more than in any other MMO.  Those real time conversations/scenes that happens regardless of if you are there bring a whole level of life in the world, that you end up feeling like you really are a part of the story.

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    You cant compare WoW and GW2 story its like comparing David and Goliath. GW2 story has nothing to offer - but well I dont know all race stories. And if you are PVE lover so dont buy GW2 because you ll be dissapointed. PVP is the only way to buy GW2.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    That''s a rather bitter little opinion isn't it? I am playing GW2 specifically for the PVE. If you love lore and immersion and a world that feels alive play GW2. If you enjoy repeating instances to improve you gear constantly play WOW.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by kertin
    You cant compare WoW and GW2 story its like comparing David and Goliath. GW2 story has nothing to offer - but well I dont know all race stories. And if you are PVE lover so dont buy GW2 because you ll be dissapointed. PVP is the only way to buy GW2.

lol umm okay.. got hundreds of hours of video that shows otherwise.. you have what exactly?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by kertin

i like pve. guess i shouldn't have bought it.... hm.... guess i must have been wrong when i thought i was having fun pveing in all of  the betas and stress tests....

edit: just out of curiosity, how much have you played? it must be a whole bunch. but thanks for correcting my misconception!!

• VoltjeVoltje Member Posts: 20
    Now now, ive got a good feeling of what you people described to me.. now then. Are there any worldbosses? (geez this is such a vanilla questions)  (btw dont be affraid to link any video's) :)

[CENTER]image

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    I don't know, the story seem to unfold slowly, so making up your mind by beta weekends alone won't do this game any justice. Some stories seem to be cool at start, others rather slow. Just try to keep an open mind and play a couple of them yourself.