Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Salem: Beta Key Handout!

Comments

• FailtrainFailtrain Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by Kost
    Originally posted by Failtrain
    Terrible first impression. Good idea, very poorly executed. Don't stress if you missed out on a key.

It really isn't, it's a great sandbox that needs further development to really shine.

Thanks for taking a key though without even doing any research on the game first, while people who are legitimately interested and have been patiently waiting for over a year are left in the lurch because of selfish individuals like yourself.

Selfish? I've done my research into the game and I've been waiting to try it. Don't make such stupid assumptions. I'm allowed to have my opinion and so far the game hasn't provided me with anything that makes me want to keep playing besides the friendly people I have met.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Kost Originally posted by Failtrain Terrible first impression. Good idea, very poorly executed. Don't stress if you missed out on a key.
    It really isn't, it's a great sandbox that needs further development to really shine. Thanks for taking a key though without even doing any research on the game first, while people who are legitimately interested and have been patiently waiting for over a year are left in the lurch because of selfish individuals like yourself.  
    Selfish? I've done my research into the game and I've been waiting to try it. Don't make such stupid assumptions. I'm allowed to have my opinion and so far the game hasn't provided me with anything that makes me want to keep playing besides the friendly people I have met.

The beta keys were first come, first serve. The only thing that qualifies people to have a right to one is being a member of the MMORPG.com website. Someone who's followed the game for 5 minutes has just as much right to a key as someone who's followed the game for a year or more. Someone who's going to only be in the game for 5 minutes has just as much right to a key as someone who's going to play through beta until the game comes out and then play for a year.

I've been following the game for awhile too, and so far, I'm not super impressed. I can definitely see some potential in the game, and I'll keep playing, but so far it's not something I'd talk other people into playing.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Preacher26
    (...)

The clunky and unresponsive movements, lack of character customization, horrible UI, combat is worst than games from last decade...

(...)

Explain to me please why you think the combat is so horrible. 

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour Originally posted by Loktofeit Ok, I've found how to gather some other objects, but I'm currently out of phlegm which means I can't craft anything. I'm also completely lost. Part of me wants to create another character to start anew, but a bigger part of me wants to see how far I can get with this one, as my inner masochist is piqued by the challenge that sadistic game design has laid before me. Going to drag my phlegmless self further into the unknown in search of berries or some other minor munchie that can get me back on my feet.
    If you are using either Ender or BDsalem client, you can see items on radar and rightclick then to pick up. Many of those items, specially plants are eatable.
    Downloaded Ender and set off again on my adventure. Crafted my first items, got my Gathering Skills and exploring my new options. Thanks!

How does the developer feel about these custom clients for Salem?

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Discrimination against rest of the world! I never ever get the key :(
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Personally I think players are going to be quite disappointed with this game.  Being an indie game, the exploiters will probably have a field day and those that think players won't pk because of the rule difficulties are dreaming.
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Personally I think players are going to be quite disappointed with this game.  Being an indie game, the exploiters will probably have a field day and those that think players won't pk because of the rule difficulties are dreaming.

To kill a player you need the "Cain & Abel" skill that is the 2nd hardest skill in the game to get. People who kill other players leave scent nodes at the location of the crime, which stays for 9 real life days. Any player (including new ones) can see those scent nodes as long as they toggler their tracking on at their menu. The scent nodes look like exclamation marks and any person can gather from there. Gathering gives the person a menu to track the perpetrator as well as evidence. The evidence can be used to summon a person at their homestead even if the persons are offline. The evidence stays for approximately 90 real life days. That's 90 days to find location of person and hire/ask for services from criminal hunters (called rangers).

There is a distinction between getting Knocked-Out and being killed in this game. Animals can't kill you, only players with the "Cain & Abel" skill, can. Dying in this game means that you lose your character, since it is a persistant game all items etc are still at your body unless someone steals from you. Your new character can choose to inherit your old one, which means that he inherits the claims belonging to your old character, which means you still have the buildings you built on your old claim.

Few people in the game know the criminal mechanics well enough to get away with it, and if they do they have to put a lot of work into building adequate defences because otherwise sooner or later a ranger will get them.

Any player can avoid all deaths by playing carefully and not doing any crime. This is not a game where you can take a break and afk in the middle of the wilderness. The safest spot for afking in this game is the church inside of Boston since animals can't enter Church out of their own will and PvP is disabled inside Boston village claim. For a significant amount of people, playing cautious and being ready to keep distance/teleport whenever a stranger walks towards you unnecessarely in the wilderness, is not something they are willing to tolerate and that's fine not everyone has to enjoy such gameplay.

Edit: I would also like to point out that even a completely new player can avoid being killed by the strongest players as long he is cautious and pays attention to his minimap radar. 

• DovaDova Member Posts: 13
    Its selfish for players to use a key up if there not sure there going to likethe game begin with. Unlike players who were not on at the exact moment to get a key who have been waiting much longer to be part of this game early on. many keys have been horded and are now being sold for real money from $10 to $60 bucks. which is not suppose to happen.

Originally posted by Dova
    Its selfish for players to use a key up if there not sure there going to likethe game begin with. Unlike players who were not on at the exact moment to get a key who have been waiting much longer to be part of this game early on. many keys have been horded and are now being sold for real money from $10 to $60 bucks. which is not suppose to happen.

It's not any more or less selfish than people who expect keys because they've been watching the game for a year or more. It would be selfish if the keys were something that was easily transferable or spendable, but the keys are a first come, first serve, one time use thing.

Selling the keys for money is greedy though. I'm not how certain I am that there is a lot of that happening. How many people are actually going to pay $60 for access to a game that is going to have free access? That doesn't make that much sense.

Look at the servers specs, pop. has not gone up hardly at all. after 2500 keys have been given out. hardly any of them are being given out. registered fourm users over at Salemthegame.com should of got first dibs.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

What would be REALLY selfish is for someone who just created an MMORPG.com account today got a beta key instead of a legitimate MMORPG.com user.

See how that works?

Mmorpg has NOTHING to do with seatribe and or Paradox and its bull that they even used mmorpg, but smart because its good marketing. I am saying that fourm users who have been following seatribe or paradox should have been given first dibs. not MMORPGS users. Duh

completly diffrent fourms. and websites.

I have two guess pass keys for Starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft willing to trade for salem key

Mmorpg has NOTHING to do with seatribe and or Paradox and its bull that they even used mmorpg, but smart because its good marketing. I am saying that fourm users who have been following seatribe or paradox should have been given first dibs. not MMORPGS users. Duhcompletly diffrent fourms. and websites.

Depends on the purpose of the keys. If the purpose is to reward people who are already interested in the game, then yes, existing interested people should have gotten keys. However, if the point is to get people who are not currently interested in the game some exposure, then MMORPG.com and other websites like it are the way to go.

I agree thats why I said its good marketing, but still sucks for those who know they already like the game from watching videos and doing the research who would report to seatribe of there progress through the world like beta testers are suppose to do. not play for 5 mins. decide they dont like the game then uninstall it without giving key or account
  • Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

Truly a disappointment... the concept sounded sooo fun to me. Played it for like 4 hours this weekend (don't even ask how I played that much without stabbing my eyes). As others have said, horrible engine, terrible crafting, UI, and in general not fun at all. I want to enjoy it, but woooow do they have some major work to do. This game feels like a very very early alpha.

• ricnetricnet Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

Truly a disappointment... the concept sounded sooo fun to me. Played it for like 4 hours this weekend (don't even ask how I played that much without stabbing my eyes). As others have said, horrible engine, terrible crafting, UI, and in general not fun at all. I want to enjoy it, but woooow do they have some major work to do. This game feels like a very very early alpha.

If you don't like, could you give me your account so I can try it out? Just change the password or something.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
        I applied for a key a long time ago and never got one...The more I read about this game the less I regret not getting a key.....It sounds like another "great in theory, poor in execution" type of game.....
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Be consoled in knowing that anyone that spent 60 dollars for a Salem beta key is about to be far more upset than you'll ever be over this issue. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

What is the appeal here? Is it just the crafting because the game looks like complete crap. 

Give me wurm onlines indepth crafting with AoC graphics,GW2 combat and a decent story and I would play it for years. 

Originally posted by Cromica

What is the appeal here? Is it just the crafting because the game looks like complete crap. 

Give me wurm onlines indepth crafting with AoC graphics,GW2 combat and a decent story and I would play it for years. 

I can't speak for others, but for me this game is a puzzle box and exploration kit rolled into one.

• discovering what will unlock as I find, craft and use items
    • managing the items I have in the limited inventory that I have have for them
    • memorizing my surroundings so I can find my way to and from my lean-to (although the map rotating while travelling is a pointless and frustrating 'feature')

Here's my general assessment:

• It's a toy.
    • It's a world simulation.
    • It's a virtual social environment.
    • It's a game only in the strictest sense of the definition, but I'd be hard pressed to call it that.

It makes for a good time-wasting diversion, but not really a very entertaining one.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    (...) (although the map rotating while travelling is a pointless and frustrating 'feature')

(...)

To alleviate some frustation: use the free camera which can be set in both Ender's and BDsalem's option menu.

• kedieckediec Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Silverbarr
    Terrible first impression. Good idea, very poorly executed. Don't stress if you missed out on a key.

It really isn't, it's a great sandbox that needs further development to really shine.

Thanks for taking a key though without even doing any research on the game first, while people who are legitimately interested and have been patiently waiting for over a year are left in the lurch because of selfish individuals like yourself.

How is he being selfish? He was interested in trying the game, and an offer was on therefore got a key. It has nothing to do with being selfish - infact if anyone is being selfish it would be you believing that people who have been awaiting this game should get first dibs over anyone else.

Also he gave his opinion on a game that he had a chance to try out - and his opinion seems to be mirrored in many other posts in this thread alone.

M

Because closed beta tests are not free trials?

Seriously guy, utilize some common sense. Would you rather have someone actually testing the game to help improve it, or just some random who snatches up beta keys at every opportunity, plays for five minutes, and then uninstalls and never looks back.

His opinion seems to be mirrored? What part of themepark gamers not enjoying sandbox games is hard for you to grasp?

Use your head, activities like this are what are ruining this genre. If some of you actually took the time to focus on making the game better, we might have less of these "poorly designed" mmorpgs that you all like to complain so much about.

You know why they're giving keys away on here ?

Because the people that signed up for the Salem beta by sending out emails to their friends , aren't being retained because the implementation of it is so very poor . Thousands of keys have been sent out , yet they still only ever have less than 150 on the server at any time  , now why would that be , if it was such a great game as it stands now ?

I played it for a few months ( and yes , that is plenty of time to help beta test ) , before i came to the decision that my time just wasn't worth it with the way development was going .

The ideas behind the game are great , but sadly , it just doesn't work well atm .

Oh , and your right , in this case the closed beta test definately isn't a free trial , as they have a cash shop in it . It was obviously more important for the devs to get that working , than other things that the players thought were more important .

Sama, don't beat around the bush. How do you really feel?