Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] DUST 514: CCP Wants to Change the Universe

Comments

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

There is a obvious reason why its not on Xbox. Xbox requires payments, CCP wanted to give free access to the game on consoles. Thus giving to the Xbox would require people to pay to play it anyways. Anyone who lets their time run out will be unable to play.

I think they just want to keep it active... puting it on PS3 makes more sense than Xbox. Also on PS3 there is less competition for FPS's.

Also unless PS4 and the new Xbox change their ideas about the CD-key encryption allowing each game to only be on one system. they are gonna see a sharp drop in sales. i believe CCP expects this so they arent worried about its release.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• toxicmangotoxicmango Member UncommonPosts: 119

This is a PS3 game and does not belong on this site.  The fact it is here really shows the site is catering to CCP.  

As others have already mentioned, this is a trainwreck about to happen, and was a bad idea from the start to target a crowded FPS console market, but CCP is in too far now to pull out.  If it destroys them, it wouldn't be the first time a company has gone under due to over ambitious poorly thought out projects.

• NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126

Apparently CCP said they approached Microsoft, but couldn't make a deal, so they went with Sony. They also said they are looking into eventually making it crossover to the PC, just not yet.

I'm not a console gamer at all, so I'll wait until it comes out for PC.

• pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Do they really think there will be a large enough player base on PS3 to carry this game?  I think someone making decisions has either been bamboozled or they really dont think this thing will succeed so "let them fail and get out of my way..."    hahaha....
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

People that do not have a PC probably will not buy a PC when they have already a Console and feel good with it.
    The only thing that would make sense is if EvE was ported to the PS3.

What kind of people don't have a PC?  Maybe not one that can run the latest games, but EVE?

In these PC vs console debates, it always surprises me how many people seem to think most people have either one OR the other.  I don't know anyone who doesn't have a PC, and I don't know many gamers that don't have an XBox or a PS3.  Just very few who have all three.

There are usually limitations and preferences which effect a gamer's platform of choice, but in my experience, it's rarely as cut&dry and simply having one console and nothing else.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Make it for PC and I'll play it. I won't buy ps3 only for one game, not gonna happen in 1000 years.

But it seems CCP don't care and even don't want EVE players to play Dust.

• happyfartshappyfarts Member UncommonPosts: 94

I can't be sure on the particulars because after reading bits from everywhere it kind of gets hazy

But, I believe they had said it was only for the PS3 console and not xbox because of some technical requirements which the particular console company had to adhere to for it to be possible.

People should quite whining about it being dumb that it's not coming out on PCs. This was actually a clever idea, rather than risk having their existing player base shift between two of their own products (which would be like competing with themselves) they're venturing into a new untapped playerbase.

If this succeeds, it would be a gaming milestone! For the first time ever two different games of two different genre over two different platforms will be linked in real time!! Linking trigger FPS console gamers with the calculating online universe of Eve ... 

I only hope the execution is as smooth and successful as possible. But come what may, CCP have my admiration for making such a bold move. One of the few companies trying to introduce something NEW into the over-used and over-recycled gaming business. Respect!

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by Denambren

Console + 1st person shooter = fail

Alienate original fanbase by not supporting original PC platform = fail

Claim to be after the Console market but make the game for less than half of it (no Xbox) = fail

The reason it's not on xbox is simple and already explained by CCP and many other MMO developers that try to make the game interact with their world.

Microsoft, believe it or not, is far more frustrating and limiting in how thier network interacts with the CCP servers. Sony was more accomodating. So the choice was more technical than anything else.

So instead of going on the offensive and blasting them for something you clearly don't know about, try to read up on it first. So their claim is justified by going after console market.

Secondly, the PC to console cross-platform doesn't exist for shooters. It makes more sense to make the game for consoles rather than after the PC due to the larget market and chance of a viable population for it to work.

That and they wont cannibalize their current playerbase (though It isn't likely due to EVE being quite far removed from FPS).

I really do hope the game is successful. That will make for much more interesting and dynamic gaming worlds in the future as this is, in a way, a proof of concept for other companies to look at and replicate.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Try to find a playerbase on a 'dated' console system to support a PC game.

What happens if there's a PS4 launch?

+ this game has to be top of the notch and beat the COD/BF and all other shooter games if they want to attract shooterfans outside of the EVE playerbase.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• MercuryRisinMercuryRisin Member UncommonPosts: 20
    you are not gonna change the universe on PS3 hahahahahaahah
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

No it's not an MMO because 20v20 isn't massive, regardless of how many maps are running concurrently. If they have a couple of hundred on a map, then I'd consider it an MMO, like Planetside or Planetside 2. Otherwise it's the same as playing CS, BF, or any other online muliplayer FPS game.

So, a game based around, say, 25 man raids could not be considered massive by your standards either... Interesting. EvE is going to be very lonely on this site...

Originally posted by mazut

Make it for PC and I'll play it. I won't buy ps3 only for one game, not gonna happen in 1000 years.

No they prefer EvE players to keep paing to play in the universe. Would be a bad thing to loose all thier paying customers to a f2p titel in the same universe...

That aside there are quite a few EvE players in DUST already.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Making this PS3 exclusive is a poor business decision.  There is no reason it can't be cross platform.  Naysayers simply don't know of the cross platform games which have already been published.  Two that I can think of are Shadowrun (Xbox + PC cross-platform) and Dungeon Defenders (PS3 + PC).  I'm sure there are more out there.  

I think MMORPG.com should stop reminding us about a game that most of us won't be able to play.  

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by hfztt

No they prefer EvE players to keep paing to play in the universe. Would be a bad thing to loose all thier paying customers to a f2p titel in the same universe...

well which is it? They appealing to EVE players, or want them to ignore DUST?

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• happyfartshappyfarts Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Originally posted by ignore_me

the whole point of going console is to tap into a different playerbase to minimise the competing-with-thiemselves scenario. I'm pretty sure they're hoping that if Eve Players stick to their spaceships, even if they try it out. After all there is no sub as far as I'm aware

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

How is this supposed to rock the gaming world on a single platform?

And despite the fact that I own a PS3 I know from experiece that PC's are a heck of a lot better for FPS games so would not play it for that reason alone.

CCP Fail

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by Vegetto

Here's one logic: Maybe they think that if they released DUST 514 on PC, then EvE players may opt to play that instead of EvE, thus disrupting the population.

However, this fails when you consider the same applies no matter what platform it's released on, as whoever is playing DUST is potentially not playing EvE.

I think that's the thinking though, that you're traditional EvE player would rather stab their eyes than play a console FPS. So they potentially open a new untapped market, whilst also retaining the EvE players.

Still, console players are very fly-by-night, the simple comparison of a console gamers shelf of two dozen games he currently plays, against a few on a PC gamers hard-drive, only perhaps two of which he currently plays.

Here's one logic: Maybe they think that if they released DUST 514 on PC, then EvE players may opt to play that instead of EvE, thus disrupting the population.

This right here that's a possibility CCP is not prepared to allow to happen. Isn't EvE online revenue pretty much supporting Iceland's entire economy right now? What with the recent volcano eruptions and general bad economic conditions they cann't allow that to happen thus the PS3 was chosen but looks like they would at least go multiple console versions...

Originally posted by ignore_me

Both. They dont have EVE players as a target, and they have made the barrier high by switching platform, its just not stopping them.

Originally posted by chriswsm

How is this supposed to rock the gaming world on a single platform?

And despite the fact that I own a PS3 I know from experiece that PC's are a heck of a lot better for FPS games so would not play it for that reason alone.

CCP Fail

So you are dissing a game you havent played. How cool of you...

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

really weird decision to make it PS3 exclusive. EvE players are PC users, and the majority of PS3 players do not play EvE.

relly weird decision. hope it doesnt bite them in the ass.

Not weird at all. CCP isn't tailoring DUST514 for PC MMO Gamers... it's for Console Gamers pure and simple. A way for CCP to gather in the Console Gamers into the EvE experience that had lamented that EvE was only on PC (yes suggestions have been made for years that CCP offer EvE on Console as well as PC).

CCP choosing PS3 may have been a preference decision (Devs like it better) or simply that PlayStation made CCP a better offer. I don't remeber if the Devs ever said for certain what the reasoning was. This is not the first time I have heard PS3 was going to be the platform though.

DUST514 since we EvE Online Players heard of it was always about Console Gaming. Always. (when I first heard of it I was still a EvE Online Player).

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

you guys just dont get it,

ps3 why? cause xbox sucks, and  microsoft wants to charge you for playing a free game.

next, ps3, why? cause ps3 offers a bigger market than pc gamers, sorry guys you have to face it, your not special and most of the poster are primadonnas.

third, ps3 why? cause the ps3 is an awsome platform, sorry, but it is, i have mine connected wirelessly to my home network and its like an extension of my pc, or laptop, whatever i am using..

starting to think you whiners are the same shyte whiners that are on the eve forums,  a small minority of crappy players that make up for the lack of gaming proficiency by posting voraciously.

so, HTFU, as someone in eve would say.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Consequence

Frankly, I am disgusted at this website for betraying it's purpose and selling out. This game is not a RPG. It is most certainly not a MMORPG. It is not even a computer game. Its is a console FPS.

It does not belong here.

If Dust doesn't  belong here neither does Planetside 2. And both DO. It's on the PS3, yes. And it's an MMOFPS, with plenty of RPG elements and direct persistent ties to EVE. I get that you might not like it, but to say it doesn't belong is just naive.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• BlackhoundBlackhound Member UncommonPosts: 52
    It's Battlefield 2142 with the drawback that you have to foot the bill every time your little toy soldier dies and needs new equipment. If I want to play Battlefield, I'll go play Battlefield.
  • SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

Yeh well they can continue production of WOD or kiss my you know what.

Who in hell puts all their money in a shooter mmo no one will mess with instead of a vampire mmo everyone would have played, which is now abandonware?

Originally posted by Sleepyfish

Yeh well they can continue production of WOD or kiss my you know what.

Who in hell puts all their money in a shooter mmo no one will mess with instead of a vampire mmo everyone would have played, which is now abandonware?

Noone has ever done a f2p shooter on a console. CCP have made a fair gamble that with the rise of f2p there WAS a hole in the market.

In this age of spakly vampires I think CCP is wise to lay a bit low with WoD. While there might be huge demand for a vampire mmo, CCP most likely wont be making the vampire mmo the market is asking for. So putting WoD on fast track would probably be an equally questionable decission.