Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 needs elite difficulty content...EDIT:guess i was wrong

Comments

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

I hate the idea that elite mode/hardcore difficulty only applies to endgame players. A lot of players simply enjoy a challenging leveling experience.

I'd throw my money at this game instantly if they decided to make a hardcore server or something.

And again, I will state the same thing I did before. If you want a hardcore experience then thats entirely up to YOU. There are hundreds of ways to make a game hardcore without begging for it in the game. Because we all know that people will complain and if something is too hard for you to beat since they made it harder there is no way you can go back. You'll be stuck not completing it, as opposed to if you made YOUR own hardcore mode, you can break it at any time to complete content if it seems too hard. The devs don't make the games easy, only you do by doing the actions that make the game easy. They won't make games as hard enough so that only about 5% of the population of the gamers can make it to max level, that would lose so many casual gamers and people who just want to enjoy the game for what it is.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

I partially agree with op.

My idea would be to have that 20% (or something) of the times an event spawn with a harder difficulty rate. The events scale with the number of players taking part in it right? make it so that sometimes an event is n+2 level of difficulty (where n is the number of players involved).

Or rare occasions even n+3 or n+4...

Just to have an unexpected twist to the same event... :)

Maybe events works like that already who knows... Anet is so full of surprises.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Lucioon
    Originally posted by tabindex
    Originally posted by kaoss

Just to let you know its not easy we all died like 50 times till we figure it out it took us like 5 hours to complete but we all came out with epic gars which was all worth it!

That's contradictory to the overall design theme of GW2 that allows people with too many family and work committments to simply show up and win.  You're either lying, really bad, or the difficulty will be lowered.

does this consider a baiting post, because I am biting.... ^_^

GW2 because its non subscription based, it don't have to cater to anyone, you bought the game, you can quit the first day for all we care.

The difficulties will be turned up, you will die many many times as intended. You will rage quit because you are unskilled, or you will take up the challenge and beat the encounters. That is their overall design theme.

They don't even have to care about players that complaint about their contents from being too difficult, we want difficulty, we want you to pay attention to your surroundings, they said it themselves, dodge is there for you to avoid incoming fire ball.

This is why I will enjoy GW2, its a GAme that won't have to cater to the lazy, or fear of subscriptions.

ANet, do what you need to do, make the game as hard or easy as you want, its their game and if I enjoy it, I will play it, if not they already got my money so no lost to them.

I can't wait for an Boss encounter in the Orr area that kills everyone for months after release, and all the rage that happened. Because the ones that can take it down, will be known throught all servers as the best players groups out there.

Is that why they ended up making content with greater difficulty, slightly easier across the board between BWE2 and BWE3?  You may or may not be correct in your theory, but present information shows that ArenaNet loves casual gamers more than hardcores.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    One of the reasons I'm waiting to buy the game. I want to see what people say about the challenge of the game as you level. I'm tired of games where the only question is how many mouse clicks does it take to get to end game. :(

Open world content in last BWE got HEAVILY nerfed.

Maybe later on it starts to get somewhat challanging again, but I havent got that far.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by gessekai332

How would you all feel if by 1 week into the game, people already had reached max level and the master ancient dragon, who laid waste to half of Tyria, was already put onto farm status by a bunch of guilds? Pretty lame if you asked me. The master dragon of tyria should only go down if 75% of the server population was beating on him at the same time or if somehow all the tyrian gods were summoned at the same time and started knocking the crap out of it. 

A good distribution would be like 60% normal content, 20% somewhat hard, 10% very hard, 9% super hard, 1% virtually impossible.

I'm guessing you haven't played the game yet.

Let me know how your first explorable dungeon goes! ;P

The game does have some pretty difficult encounters. I'm not sure how it would compare to a game like demon souls (which can get pretty brutal at times), but it's got a pretty good range. If you're just going based off of the starting areas, well they're just that. Starting areas. I can't think of a single online game w/ a challenging starting area. They are there for people still learning how to play the game.

The game has multiple ways of introducing challenging content as well. One is by introducing more powerful mobs into the area (veterans, champions). Another is via dungeons. Some of the jumping puzzles are also pretty ruthless (and are cluttered w/ traps, enemies, etc.). But perhaps the easiest way to be challenged (one which a lot of MMO gamers still aren't familiar w/), is fighting higher lvl mobs. The game does do this deliberately in certain areas, but you can also take it upon yourself to visit higher lvl areas before you are technically supposed to be there. I've gotten in fights where if I took more than 2 hits I'd be dead, and came out on top. It wasn't easy, but it's definitely doable. I can't really think of another MMO where I  can say the same.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by fenistil
    One of the reasons I'm waiting to buy the game. I want to see what people say about the challenge of the game as you level. I'm tired of games where the only question is how many mouse clicks does it take to get to end game. :(

Maybe later on it starts to get somewhat challanging again, but I havent got that far.

wtf are you talking about?

There was no nerf. There was a bug that was making the enemies way too easy. It's been fixed.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Originally posted by eggy08

I hate the idea that elite mode/hardcore difficulty only applies to endgame players. A lot of players simply enjoy a challenging leveling experience.

I'd throw my money at this game instantly if they decided to make a hardcore server or something.

And again, I will state the same thing I did before. If you want a hardcore experience then thats entirely up to YOU. There are hundreds of ways to make a game hardcore without begging for it in the game. Because we all know that people will complain and if something is too hard for you to beat since they made it harder there is no way you can go back. You'll be stuck not completing it, as opposed to if you made YOUR own hardcore mode, you can break it at any time to complete content if it seems too hard. The devs don't make the games easy, only you do by doing the actions that make the game easy. They won't make games as hard enough so that only about 5% of the population of the gamers can make it to max level, that would lose so many casual gamers and people who just want to enjoy the game for what it is.

Or rather than having players intentionally gimp themselves to make a game hard(which is pretty stupid idea, considering growing your character is half the fun in an rpg..), they could have a seperate server with toughened monsters. Casuals can have standard servers, and those who want a harder game can play on the harder one. Both sides can experience the game how they want to this way.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by ariboersma
    Originally posted by Zezda

Explorable dungeon mode.

[Edit]

And no, not all DE's are mind numbingly easy. I can assure you of that.

this

seems basing the entire game on the first 10-20 levels is the new "cool" thing to do these days.

Some might turn that around on you and say that it seems like people like you hype the game based on the first 10-20 levels. I like most of the things in GW2, but I am still apprehensive about the things I haven't seen or tried personally and try not to talk about or hype much of what I haven't experienced yet.......

i talk about what I have experienced and show videos on aspects I have not yey experienced.. people here are making assmuptions on not only content they never experienced but also content pretty much no one has.. i feel there is a big difference there.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Is that why they ended up making content with greater difficulty, slightly easier across the board between BWE2 and BWE3?  You may or may not be correct in your theory, but present information shows that ArenaNet loves casual gamers more than hardcores.

that was not intended and has been corrected

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/xij3o/bwe3_difficulty/

also on same topic 

Has there been anything that surprised you through these recent betas that you’ve had to fine-tune based on feedback from players?

Some of the most surprising and interesting things are that the players, the communities, really have an exceptional understanding of some of the deeper areas of the game…like understanding the difference between difficulty and pacing, which is really complex. We got feedback on that and it really showed the relationship that they have with the game we’re making. I think that difficulty, which has obviously been in the news recently, is an interesting one. It’s very subjective. We’ve put systems in place now that caters for multiple audiences, including the more hardcore player who likes it more difficult. We also allow the player that wants to experience the game more at his own pace without being at 150 mph at all times. We have such a good relationship with the community, we already had a massive pool of players that were playing the game that we got feedback from before the beta weekends.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/08/16/guild-wars-2-lead-producer-whiteside-doesnt-want-to-let-the-community-down/

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Or rather than having players intentionally gimp themselves to make a game hard(which is pretty stupid idea, considering growing your character is half the fun in an rpg..), they could have a seperate server with toughened monsters. Casuals can have standard servers, and those who want a harder game can play on the harder one. Both sides can experience the game how they want to this way.

Again you missed my point, once you get to a point past your level of skill, then what do you do? I'm sure you won't be too happy if they made something too hard for you to complete, even if someone who is in the top 1% of gamers can. So you get frustrated trying over and over to no avail, you just can't beat that DE. How exactly do you want them to scale it? Based on your preference, based on the top 10%/5%/1%? Its too hard to make it catter to everyone. Hence y there is dungeons with harder difficulties to make a challenge. But if they made those way too simple that you can just breeze throu them without really trying I can see your point.

I was a hardcore raider, I love the challenge, but I don't feel that a challenge is the same thing to one person as it is another. If you played D3, was that a challenge to you in inferno. They made that game "challenging" to the masses by making mobs 1 shot you so only ranged had any chance of progressing past Act 1 for months on end. Is it fair that a certain class gets an easier experience in some cases and another doesn't, no but that's playstyle. So how do you propose they make it more difficult but still fair for every class? It's a very hard question.

"...with toughened monsters." How do you make the mobs tough besides giving them more hp and more damage, because this logic was used in D3 and then only ranged classes could play because they were the only classes who could kill mobs without ever being hit.

Everyone was basically in agreeance that once you get further in the game, the mobs are harder and take a lot more effort to kill. And going back on my old post, "hardcore" or "elitist" servers or not, if you were forced to fight a mob that was rediculously tough at the very begining while you are trying to get all your 5 skills, how much fun are you really going to have? I had troubles killing a mob at my level (level 8 I think) underwater trying to get my 5 skills bec all I had was my very first skill which did maybe about 5% of his life. Add more health to that mob and I never would want to level up my skills again because I wouldn't be able to kill anything to do so. "Well go back and kill some lower level mobs". Well in your scenario since you get leveled down in GW2 that point is invalid since it will be just as difficult as before. The reason the starter is so easy is so people can get used to the game and get their weapon skills. Otherwise they would quit in no time if they cant even kill the mobs required to get said skills.

• ThrashbargThrashbarg Member Posts: 125

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLWIFpTmRy4

One of the players in this video is one of the developers who made this dungeon. He gets killed, a lot. If it's challenging for the guy who MADE it, it's probably alright.

"Oh noes, I got to level 20 and didn't find the hardmode elite contentz!"..........

Also gotta wonder if OP ever followed an event chain to completion around level 20 solo, or was one of the masses who still don't understand DEs and just wander off down the road as soon as one satge is complete and only notice bosses when there is already a zerg beating them down. I explored a lot, and played several classes; often I found exactly what the OP is asking for: hard content (unless I just really suck, which is entirely possible, but I tend to push limits in games and have been able to do things considered difficult or impossible solo in other games, for whatever that is worth). 

Originally posted by Thrashbarg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLWIFpTmRy4

One of the players in this video is one of the developers who made this dungeon. He gets killed, a lot. If it's challenging for the guy who MADE it, it's probably alright.

"Oh noes, I got to level 20 and didn't find the hardmode elite contentz!"..........

Also gotta wonder if OP ever followed an event chain to completion around level 20 solo, or was one of the masses who still don't understand DEs and just wander off down the road as soon as one satge is complete and only notice bosses when there is already a zerg beating them down. I explored a lot, and played several classes; often I found exactly what the OP is asking for: hard content (unless I just really suck, which is entirely possible, but I tend to push limits in games and have been able to do things considered difficult or impossible solo in other games, for whatever that is worth). 

very true you can watch other dev videos of them playing the game in other aspects and they die a good amount

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by fenistil

wtf are you talking about?

There was no nerf. There was a bug that was making the enemies way too easy. It's been fixed.

Nice to see everyone agreeing here. :P One reason I'm waiting is my brother is going to play at launch and I can hear from him how easy it is. Were about the same skill so his thoughts will decide if I play or not.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Again you missed my point, once you get to a point past your level of skill, then what do you do? I'm sure you won't be too happy if they made something too hard for you to complete, even if someone who is in the top 1% of gamers can. So you get frustrated trying over and over to no avail, you just can't beat that DE. How exactly do you want them to scale it? Based on your preference, based on the top 10%/5%/1%? Its too hard to make it catter to everyone. Hence y there is dungeons with harder difficulties to make a challenge. But if they made those way too simple that you can just breeze throu them without really trying I can see your point.

You switch to the other server if you find the harder one is to difficult. Or like any other person with common sense, you try and improve your character/skills. The point behind the harder difficulty in really any MMO at this point would be to make the game more group-oriented/challenging for those who felt the default was to easy

As to how it's scaled, that's something that would have to go through testing and feedback. And if a handful of people end up thinking it was scaled to hard, guess what? They always have the choice to go back to the normal server.

I was a hardcore raider, I love the challenge, but I don't feel that a challenge is the same thing to one person as it is another. If you played D3, was that a challenge to you in inferno. They made that game "challenging" to the masses by making mobs 1 shot you so only ranged had any chance of progressing past Act 1 for months on end. Is it fair that a certain class gets an easier experience in some cases and another doesn't, no but that's playstyle. So how do you propose they make it more difficult but still fair for every class? It's a very hard question.

Again, the point is making group-play more viable and fun for leveling characters. This really has nothing to do with raiding. Vanilla servers are more often than not already balanced for soloplay, which is where solo prefered players could enjoy the game. Ideally a hardcore server isn't going to be fair for any class. It's just hard all-around. Think FFXI.

"...with toughened monsters." How do you make the mobs tough besides giving them more hp and more damage, because this logic was used in D3 and then only ranged classes could play because they were the only classes who could kill mobs without ever being hit.

I didn't play Diablo 3, but I know for a fact the Diablo series does not play similarly to most MMO's, so i'm not sure why you're bringing it up. A simple increase to monster health and damage is a fine start in making the game harder, along with giving creatures additional/better skills for handling players. Heck you can even make elemental resistances/weakness more prominent . 

Everyone was basically in agreeance that once you get further in the game, the mobs are harder and take a lot more effort to kill.

The game isn't even out yet, and what late-game stuff has been experienced has gone through changes pretty much every beta, so you and "everyone" are speculating as far as this goes. That's something that will be judged when the game is actually out.

And going back on my old post, "hardcore" or "elitist" servers or not, if you were forced to fight a mob that was rediculously tough at the very begining while you are trying to get all your 5 skills, how much fun are you really going to have? I had troubles killing a mob at my level (level 8 I think) underwater trying to get my 5 skills bec all I had was my very first skill which did maybe about 5% of his life. Add more health to that mob and I never would want to level up my skills again because I wouldn't be able to kill anything to do so. "Well go back and kill some lower level mobs". Well in your scenario since you get leveled down in GW2 that point is invalid since it will be just as difficult as before. The reason the starter is so easy is so people can get used to the game and get their weapon skills. Otherwise they would quit in no time if they cant even kill the mobs required to get said skills.

Again, if you don't like it, don't play on the harder server. That's the great thing about it, you give everyone a choice. One of those goals of making a harder server would be to encourage grouping and teamwork, so as far as how to solve your little scenario, just find some friends to help you with it. This is an MMO afterall..

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

Just watched the video of the explorable dungeon and it looks pretty promising. also, its good to hear that the explorable dungeons are actually difficult to beat. If the difficulty level is anything like gw1 domain of anguish or the elite dungeons there, I will be more than satisfied. i wonder if people will start to make team builds for dungeons if things get too hard, which would detract from the game. in gw1 you would had team builds of the month, and if you didnt know how to use them or couldnt fill the very specific slot they wanted, then you couldnt go.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• MMOheraldMMOherald Member Posts: 22

Just watched the video of the explorable dungeon and it looks pretty promising. also, its good to hear that the explorable dungeons are actually difficult to beat. If the difficulty level is anything like gw1 domain of anguish or the elite dungeons there, I will be more than satisfied. i wonder if people will start to make team builds for dungeons if things get too hard, which would detract from the game. in gw1 you would had team builds of the month, and if you didnt know how to use them or couldnt fill the very specific slot they wanted, then you couldnt go.

check your PM.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

It's just not that type of game OP.  90% of the game was built casual from the ground up.  

Here's to hoping the ranked pvp will be worth it.  

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Grimrist000Grimrist000 Member Posts: 82
    i think it would be weird to not expect any elite content from ANet. most elite dungeons in GW1 required plenty of coordination during their time. sure most of them are PUG-able these days cause of PvE skills and full hero parties but back then, they were pretty damned hard. heck, do u even remeber when NF just came out and entered the Realm of Torment? that place made a lot of people QQ and it wasn't even an elite area. image
  • ThrashbargThrashbarg Member Posts: 125

It should be able to be done with any class combination. With the ability to change slotted utilities, major traits and weapons out of combat, there should be enough adaptability in any class to be successful (along with thinking, skill and experience, of course). That's something like their stated goal anyway, can't remember which interview/blog I saw that in, but they seem pretty good at adjusting balance to achieve those goals.

Might be more like your party sometimes needs you to switch to a more supportive or damage dealing role than they just need to kick you and get a tank or healer.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by bcbully

It's just not that type of game OP.  90% of the game was built casual from the ground up.  

Have you tried the explorable mode dungeons? ArenaNet's no stranger to elite content. Just look at GW1.

glad you took the time to watch the vid:) remeber this is the "easiest" explorable mode dungeon as well

you are basing this on what now?

You switch to the other server if you find the harder one is to difficult. Or like any other person with common sense, you try and improve your character/skills. The point behind the harder difficulty in really any MMO at this point would be to make the game more group-oriented/challenging for those who felt the default was to easy

As to how it's scaled, that's something that would have to go through testing and feedback. And if a handful of people end up thinking it was scaled to hard, guess what? They always have the choice to go back to the normal server.

Not going to even get into the amount of testing and scaling they would need to do for just a small portion of servers to make it different. The concept is nice and I would like something like it, but realistically its not viable. Only a really small portion of people hardcore raided and got it down. The less people on that server makes it almost impossible for raid boss DEs to get done since the lack of players in certain levels will be very varied.

Again, the point is making group-play more viable and fun for leveling characters. This really has nothing to do with raiding. Vanilla servers are more often than not already balanced for soloplay, which is where solo prefered players could enjoy the game. Ideally a hardcore server isn't going to be fair for any class. It's just hard all-around. Think FFXI.

If they want to put in new content on a regular basis they have to balance that then go back and rebalance it all over again, which puts them behind and makes updates fewer and farther apart.

I didn't play Diablo 3, but I know for a fact the Diablo series does not play similarly to most MMO's, so i'm not sure why you're bringing it up. A simple increase to monster health and damage is a fine start in making the game harder, along with giving creatures additional/better skills for handling players. Heck you can even make elemental resistances/weakness more prominent . 

Until you play D3 or look at the forums or look up the problems that arose with this game, you wouldn't understand my argument. Go read up on it, and you'll see their mistake.

Everyone was basically in agreeance that once you get further in the game, the mobs are harder and take a lot more effort to kill.

The game isn't even out yet, and what late-game stuff has been experienced has gone through changes pretty much every beta, so you and "everyone" are speculating as far as this goes. That's something that will be judged when the game is actually out.

exactly so calling for more challenging content might as beworthless to state as well is it not?

And going back on my old post, "hardcore" or "elitist" servers or not, if you were forced to fight a mob that was rediculously tough at the very begining while you are trying to get all your 5 skills, how much fun are you really going to have? I had troubles killing a mob at my level (level 8 I think) underwater trying to get my 5 skills bec all I had was my very first skill which did maybe about 5% of his life. Add more health to that mob and I never would want to level up my skills again because I wouldn't be able to kill anything to do so. "Well go back and kill some lower level mobs". Well in your scenario since you get leveled down in GW2 that point is invalid since it will be just as difficult as before. The reason the starter is so easy is so people can get used to the game and get their weapon skills. Otherwise they would quit in no time if they cant even kill the mobs required to get said skills.

Again, if you don't like it, don't play on the harder server. That's the great thing about it, you give everyone a choice. One of those goals of making a harder server would be to encourage grouping and teamwork, so as far as how to solve your little scenario, just find some friends to help you with it. This is an MMO afterall..

Again I wouldn't mind what your talking about but its not realistic. The population of hardcore gamers is too low to implement the changes that you want.

Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by bookworm438

Have you tried the explorable mode dungeons? ArenaNet's no stranger to elite content. Just look at GW1.

[mod edit]

Lets be honest here, he been doing this for a long time now. Now is not any different.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

I still wish you would tell us what happened to your signature.

See you in WvWvW image

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.