Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another LOTRO question from a current RIFT player.

Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178

Hey guys. I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is chase, and I play mmorpgs. I am currently playing rift and I am enjoying it. My friends on the other hand seem to have trouble getting into the game and they suggested LOTRO. I've played LOTRO back in 2008 for a bit and I did enjoy the epic book storyline. There were a few factors that turned me off but one that clearly stands out in my mind was how slow the combat was. I don't know if slow is the right way to place it, but I felt sluggish. My question is that was about four years ago, and I know they have poured a whole bunch of new content into the game and I love content. I am a content junkie. I play rift because I feel that trion is by far one of the best game developing company if not THE best company out there today. But before you try and tell me the game is bleeding subs, I object because from where I sit whether it be on Guardians of Defiants the central hubs are packed and there was always 20+ guild members on at any given time. That is not the point of this post though but I felt like I needed to get that out of the way.

I've been reading a few posts on this board about how people think that LOTRO is going down hill, and from what I can understand it is because when new content comes out they make you purchase it using real money. 

WIth that being said here is what I have been wondering about. How often are these new content updates released? What sort of end game are we looking at, i.e. how many raids does LOTRO currently offer at Max level. What are their difficulties and how many people would be involved? Is there pvp in this game, and if so what type of modes are available to partake in? If I decide to dedicate myself along with my friends to this game how long will max level take and aside from the questions I have asked what is there to do at max level. Is there a dungeon finder for this game? How long are the queue times.  Are the roles of healer/tank/damage dealer just as vital as they are in rift or any other MMORPG.

Lastly I know it's LOTR, but will I feel like I am a part of the story or will I feel that I am simply just playing a game based on it?

If anyone has knowledge of this game at end game level I would much appreciate if they would enlighten me of LOTRO'S current status. Thank you in advance.

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
---

Comments

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

Breaking this down for you.

Content -

By far the biggest disappointment of this game. This is suppose to be more of an endgame/raid/instances and the content is weak. In SoA days everything was just fun and tons of raids to do. When Moria came out we had tons of instances/raids it was pure fun. Mirkwood it went downhil as far as content/grind/skirmishes. Isengaurd what a joke, and the latest expansion RoR has no instances/raids. Overall the content or raids/instances has gone from 6 raids or instances to 2 or none with the new expansion.

PvP -

if you plan on doing pvp, don't bother even installing this game. PvP has not been updated for 5 years now, things are very unbalanced. overal the worst pvp experience i ever had in my time of mmo

Story - 

Probably the only thing good to this game, but it can be a realllll grind so be warned. 

This game has nothing going for it but story and is failing real hard, i don't suggest you try it but then again people choose to buy it and then get screwed over, the choice is yours.

Oh right the endgame, i mention it is a grind. You get a legendary weapon and that will be your worst nightmare, you have to grind your virtures or traits, gear grind.

Lotro endgame = GRIND until you come to the point where you will buy from the store. 

p.s-  Take a look at GW2 maybe you will like that

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

LotRO has been really poor in the content area.  It's great up through Mines of Moria.

In terms of end game content, there isn't much.  The next expansion was supposed to include some new instances according to the FAQ, but they later removed them from it (and threatened to band anyone who attempted to get a refund after finding out they weren't getting instances as advertised).  I imagine we'll see the instances released after, and through the cash shop of course, but a few instances hardly seems like compelling end game stuff.

Also, combat hasn't changed at all, so if you didn't like it before, you won't like it now.

You make me like charity

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251

Well after reading a few of these comments its clear none of the above have NOT played the game recently.  I will go ahead and correct a few of there completetly false comments.       

Content: One of the largest and most buetufull worlds in MMO's.  Not only can you travel anywhere you want, but there are reasons too, exploration, deeds, finding places from the Books and movies.  Right now there are 17 instance you can do at max level (75) and 6 Raids a few instances can also be done in what we call a skraid which is 12 people.  Once you reach 75 you can work on traits, reputation items, and working on getting geared.  The comment "Lotro endgame = GRIND until you come to the point where you will buy from the store" is completly ignorant and false very nice try at trolling.  Anotherclaim that the expansion was supposed to have instance cluster is also false.  They were not going to include one in the expansion that was free that is true, but they changed it and now there will be one included a month after the release of RoR.  There is a ton of very good content in LOTRO that will keep you busy for a long time.  From crafting, exploring, the story which is great, the instances, the raids and skraids, and so on and so on...

PVP: It has not been availble for 5 years it came out after release another point to show previous threads dont know what they are talking about.  It also has gone through many updates and is very balanced and very much alive on my server.  

One aspect that the previous threads didnt bring up is the community hands down they best in all of MMO's I have played them all from WoW, Rift, AoC, Swtor, Tera, and TWA none of them match LOTRO community.  

I will leave you with this, take a chance at LOTRO don't listen to the one that bash a game becasue it not what they play.  It is very obviouse these previous post have not played the game in a very long time or possible never.  They were all very far off the truth and just trying to bash a game to bash.  In my honest opion it still is one of the better MMO's out there

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

The game has abandoned its strengths after Mines of Moria.  Every expansion since has been smaller than it's predecessor with the prices actually going up.  The last expansion and the new one will not have an instance cluster released with the expansion, you'll have to wait until December most likely.

Turbine made everyone believe that all content would be purchaseable with Turbine Points on the store.  In the Spring of last year they had a big sale on TP's and many purchased them in expectation of preordering the next expansion with them.  Soon after the sale Turbine announced that preorders were for cash only, your points were not welcome.

They also announced a free dragon raid to release last year but went back on that and delayed it to put it in the paid expansion.  Major bugs in that raid still exist today.

Once the last expansion released, you had to buy the expansion components piecemeal for points.  This meant that you couldn't buy everything at a bulk discount and you would have to spend thousands more TPs in December when they released the instance cluster.

Turbine has been horrendous in communicating with their players and often go and remove their erroneous and misleading statements of the past after they turned out to be lies.  It all comes down to this.  They have a very bad habit of misleading players about content and the games future.  They can adopt any content release and price strategy they want, they just don't need to mislead players about it.

PVP is a joke and 100% P2W.

LOTRO is worth trying, but if endgame and regular content updates are goals of yours, you're so much better of in Rift.

• cloudvaultercloudvaulter Member UncommonPosts: 25

I beta'ed lotr but at the time I was more into pvp which as stated, this game isnt for pvp.  However over the years I've found myself popping back on here and there mainly during periods in between other more main stream game releases I was waiting for at that particular time. 

However, after the horrific and total dissappointment that was swtor I decided to go back to lotr and just got caught this time.  I'm really and thoroughly enjoying it, even upgrading to vip and purchasing Riders of Rohan, the new upcoming expansion.  Not in a kinship (guild) and just doing my own thing-riding anywhere I want to-do anything I want to.  It's what I've been wanting for quite some time-ever since theme park games took over- but some how managed to just over look lotr as an aged game-with an aged community.  The latter two couldnt be farther from the truth. 

Theres community events all the time (landroval server), plenty of new and old/established 'guilds' recruiting, and so much content I find myself having to pick one area over another.  Personally, I wish I'd applied myself to lotr along time ago.  The mmo world is jaded and totally screwed up at the moment and this is the only game of its kind that has what ive been missing for years.  The pvp does blow-but im willing to give that up for everything else.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I'm more inclined to agree with the guy that says it's a gigantic grind. At least once you hit 50.

Have to grind LIs. (Basically your weapon). Over and over and over, because you have to throw it away, as while it levels up, it levels sidewise, not with you - you have to trade them in for better ones.

And then there is the grinding of deeds (to get virtues, which you need), repuation, crafting (including reputation) . Ugh.

And personally, the Landroval I play on is full of snobs. While you might see occasional events, it's pretty rare for people outside their guild (kin) to deign to talk to you, much less recruit.

Granted, it's always annoying in a game to be constantly spammed by guild invites. But I've played on Landroval for 4 years now, something like 1500 hours and you'd think at least one person would talk to me or invite me to their guild. Nope.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Of all the games I have played (and I have played Lotro very intensively, done all raids, etc etc), no game has such a poor content to grind ratio.

Recycled instances converted into skirmishes, rescaled instances to try to make up for the lack of content, deed grind, legendary grind, skirmish grind, faction grind, and all that when most often you only have a bunch of valid bosses to  kill.

Seriously, if you are in for the trip, play the game until lvl 50, maybe 60, then leave. It's decent fun until then.

If you are in for the end-game... forget it. Horrible choice in this case.

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

I'm more inclined to agree with the guy that says it's a gigantic grind. At least once you hit 50.

Have to grind LIs. (Basically your weapon). Over and over and over, because you have to throw it away, as while it levels up, it levels sidewise, not with you - you have to trade them in for better ones.

And then there is the grinding of deeds (to get virtues, which you need), repuation, crafting (including reputation) . Ugh.

And personally, the Landroval I play on is full of snobs. While you might see occasional events, it's pretty rare for people outside their guild (kin) to deign to talk to you, much less recruit.

Granted, it's always annoying in a game to be constantly spammed by guild invites. But I've played on Landroval for 4 years now, something like 1500 hours and you'd think at least one person would talk to me or invite me to their guild. Nope.

I have been invited by a few kinships since giving the game another go (my last was before it went f2p). If you are for rerolling, you can tag along with a friend and myself and see how it works out.

I can see grinds here and there, but they are very gentle and I enjoy the tasks. I suspect they will get rougher, and less enjoyable, at endgame. I am rarely impressed by an MMORPG's engame though. They are usually grindy because how else can you keep your players around with limited development? For me, the answer is PvP. LotRO is not a PvP game so I am pacing myself and enjoying what I suspect is the better part of the game.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

OP, if you love RIFT as much as you indicate then I would encourage you to play that game and find a guild there to play with. I have always felt burned when I followed friends into a game I didn’t enjoy playing. However, a portion of LOTRO is free to play and if you want to spend time with them there it can serve as an off game for you when tired.

Combat is slow and there is a lot of grind in playing. If it is an issue I would recommend you consider either the hunter or champion class as they do progress through grind faster than any of the other alternatives. The warden is a little complicated in comparison but it’s the most capable solo class without a doubt. There is NO random dungeon finding tool. You’ll need to make friends in the community and hunt a PUG.

There are raids and I would recommend that as a topic for you to take up with whatever guild you might join. On a similar but smaller scale to a raid there are lots of historical skirmishes (which I dearly loved) that are perfect for play alone or with just a couple of friends however many times you want a day. I honestly wish more games had a similar feature (and please PM to let me know if there is one with a developed system. LOL.)

PVP is... very limited in scope. You either play your character or as a monster character. Heroes simply do not battle one another in LOTRO as it went against the lore and desired feel for the intellectual property. People almost always turned off the duel option on the RP servers. It’s all really about players vs. monsters or the more social aspects of play.

There is a good deal of content already present in the game. I played through the Moria / Mirkwood era and found it well done to that point in spite of the required critter grind. Isengaurd is where it started to fall apart and I am not sure about the Rohan expansion as there has been some feature cutting and angry customers. Turbine has not handled it well per word of mouth and that saddens me as they had such a good reputation with me personally. Am I fair in saying maybe one expansion per year with the occasional surprise like a new festival thrown in guys?

What really makes LOTRO special to me as a game is a combination of the world, story, and community. There are so many options for things to do when you’re tired of the grinding. Examples include: fishing, horse racing on the tracks, hang around your house, play hide n seek using the magic posts, useful crafting, explore odd places like the stray cat house or roam roof tops of Bree, ride to a high level area just because, make or play your own music, attend one of the many player driven social gatherings. I could go on.

I like the story and chapter system they used. I thought it well written. There is no where near the same amount of voice over work or cut scenes that you find in recent MMORPG releases though and this was a game that could have made good use of them.

The community... I played on the two RP (Landroval and Laurelin) servers. Do not play on them without a lore appropriate name and some willingness to RP. The auction house was active enough but a little sluggish in my day. The people were the most interesting factor. There were more role players than in any other game I have ever played online. Its easy to find them at the Prancing Pony in Bree.

I made some of the absolute best friends I have ever played with. I also met some of the worst, stupidest, most hateful, and most snobbish *children of mutated doggie sperm* that I have ever encountered that would spark the ugliest dark temper tantrums in me. It is what it is.

I still miss this game and I consider returning to play it. I wore out on the slow combat as a solo captain and the grind involved and that’s something I would consider in your shoes when selecting a class. Still, I have not had as much fun participating any any other MMORPG including the recent supposed AAA titles which have all left me feeling burned. I wish I knew another option for me to play that offered some of the same things so well (LOL.) Turbine's current state with fans does leave me concerned.

I hope that answered your questions OP. Good luck.

Man, I wrote a big post .... O.o

• SkuldinSkuldin Member Posts: 79

First, some background on me.

1> I'm older (37) and I came from the old "grindy" games and when I call something a grind, (I'm not of the "WoW was the first MMO generation), it's a grind. 2> I'm a LOTR geek. I've actually read the Lost Tales and most of the Silmarillion.  I wrote my honors English paper in high school on JRR Tolkien and I wrote another paper on him in college.  So you would be hard pressed to find a bigger Middle Earth geek than me.  Heck I own most of ICE's MERP stuff.  But I digress. 

2> Deeds either through exploration or combat can be another tedious grind.  You fight neekerbreekers (bugs), bears, goblins, wolves and a few orcs of various skins and colors until you reach Angmar. The problem is the deed for 'Honor' or 'Justice' or whatever ability you want to work on is earned from say Neekerbreekers in the Shire, but you will level past that unless you actually just wander around the marsh area grinding on the bugs (ignoring quests) well past the time that they are useful for xp.  You need 90 for a title and anywhere from 120 to 180 more for the Trait.  But the goblins in the shire somehow have a different trait associated with them if you move a few miles north to Trestlebridge or east to the Lonelands.

So prepare to grind like a Korean-style grindfest in each zone.  Now most will tell you to not bother with that until 75 (max lvl) or at least until the monsters are "gray" (10 levels below you), but then it feels like even more of a chore when you are literally getting nothing out of each kill.  The exploration deeds arent as grindy, but prepare to wander to random parts of the map while looking online at hints to some remote hilltop that has nothing on it but a piece of rubble and a few crows hoping to find that last one. 

3> The movement in the game is awful. You feel like you're on skates and when you run around and then stop your guy will slide for another step or so and for a LM (my main) you cant start casting because if you hit your cast spell button it will say "you cant do that while moving" even though I had quit moving a full second before. Keep in mind i have a brand new I-5 2500K with a 2 GB vid card 16 MB of DDR3 ram and a SSD hard drive.  I can play BF3 on ULTRA settings without a hitch, I have a very high end machine and I have AT&T U-Verse 18MBPS Fiber lines so I dont have much lag.  The bad movement and clunky combat are VERY noticeable and are one of the main things that drive many people from the game.

4> Prepare to figtht baby bears, mature bears, North Downs Bears, Mature North Downs bears over and over again.  Or moose or crows (how many kinds of crebain can there really be?)  I realize they cant have lizard men and stuff not in Tolkien's world, but when you have to grind some of these reskinned beasts over and over again for traits you notice the sameness of the beasts in a hurry.

5> The combat speed is painfully slow.  I've played a LM (with my legendaries and full DPS (red) traited) into Moria.  I've played most classes at least into their mid-20s and I can tell you nothing kills "fast". Some kill "faster" than others but the combat is painful. Expect to 1> shout a lot with only about 2 different pitches and be annoyed out of your skull. 2> slide around a lot while watching this horribly slow ancient combat system happen and 3> each kill of "equal level" (minus crits) to take at least 20-30 seconds depending on class.  It is also not "that" noticeable a difference when you get a big weapon upgrade as it is in say WoW while leveling.  WoW sucks in MANY ways, but that was not one of them.

6> The lore loses something when your "hero" is doing yet another Fed Ex delivery quest or killing bears and crows at level 40+.  It has all of the flaws of the old games without any of the things that gave them their charm like the fear of death. 

7> The PvP is kind of annoying to get into and not something that seems fun. I'm a pvp-first player typically and yet this game I cant be bothered.

The Good: The community is mature and helpful and if you find a good kinship they can answer a lot of questions for you.  The game looks nice on ultra and a nice PC.  The music is cool in certain parts like Moria and Angmar.

People will argue till they're blue in the face, but having played it as recently as a week ago I can tell you that me, my brother and his friend could tolerate it about 1 month and we're done.  We couldnt even make it to GW2 launch.  Good luck and maybe someone can give you more insight past Moria.

Thirty years of gaming experience...not sure if I should be proud of that
    www.mmoexaminer.blogspot.com

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Skuldin

First, some background on me.

1> I'm older (37) and I came from the old "grindy" games and when I call something a grind, (I'm not of the "WoW was the first MMO generation), it's a grind. 2> I'm a LOTR geek. I've actually read the Lost Tales and most of the Silmarillion.  I wrote my honors English paper in high school on JRR Tolkien and I wrote another paper on him in college.  So you would be hard pressed to find a bigger Middle Earth geek than me.  Heck I own most of ICE's MERP stuff.  But I digress. 

2> Deeds either through exploration or combat can be another tedious grind.  You fight neekerbreekers (bugs), bears, goblins, wolves and a few orcs of various skins and colors until you reach Angmar. The problem is the deed for 'Honor' or 'Justice' or whatever ability you want to work on is earned from say Neekerbreekers in the Shire, but you will level past that unless you actually just wander around the marsh area grinding on the bugs (ignoring quests) well past the time that they are useful for xp.  You need 90 for a title and anywhere from 120 to 180 more for the Trait.  But the goblins in the shire somehow have a different trait associated with them if you move a few miles north to Trestlebridge or east to the Lonelands.

So prepare to grind like a Korean-style grindfest in each zone.  Now most will tell you to not bother with that until 75 (max lvl) or at least until the monsters are "gray" (10 levels below you), but then it feels like even more of a chore when you are literally getting nothing out of each kill.  The exploration deeds arent as grindy, but prepare to wander to random parts of the map while looking online at hints to some remote hilltop that has nothing on it but a piece of rubble and a few crows hoping to find that last one. 

3> The movement in the game is awful. You feel like you're on skates and when you run around and then stop your guy will slide for another step or so and for a LM (my main) you cant start casting because if you hit your cast spell button it will say "you cant do that while moving" even though I had quit moving a full second before. Keep in mind i have a brand new I-5 2500K with a 2 GB vid card 16 MB of DDR3 ram and a SSD hard drive.  I can play BF3 on ULTRA settings without a hitch, I have a very high end machine and I have AT&T U-Verse 18MBPS Fiber lines so I dont have much lag.  The bad movement and clunky combat are VERY noticeable and are one of the main things that drive many people from the game.

4> Prepare to figtht baby bears, mature bears, North Downs Bears, Mature North Downs bears over and over again.  Or moose or crows (how many kinds of crebain can there really be?)  I realize they cant have lizard men and stuff not in Tolkien's world, but when you have to grind some of these reskinned beasts over and over again for traits you notice the sameness of the beasts in a hurry.

5> The combat speed is painfully slow.  I've played a LM (with my legendaries and full DPS (red) traited) into Moria.  I've played most classes at least into their mid-20s and I can tell you nothing kills "fast". Some kill "faster" than others but the combat is painful. Expect to 1> shout a lot with only about 2 different pitches and be annoyed out of your skull. 2> slide around a lot while watching this horribly slow ancient combat system happen and 3> each kill of "equal level" (minus crits) to take at least 20-30 seconds depending on class.  It is also not "that" noticeable a difference when you get a big weapon upgrade as it is in say WoW while leveling.  WoW sucks in MANY ways, but that was not one of them.

6> The lore loses something when your "hero" is doing yet another Fed Ex delivery quest or killing bears and crows at level 40+.  It has all of the flaws of the old games without any of the things that gave them their charm like the fear of death. 

7> The PvP is kind of annoying to get into and not something that seems fun. I'm a pvp-first player typically and yet this game I cant be bothered.

The Good: The community is mature and helpful and if you find a good kinship they can answer a lot of questions for you.  The game looks nice on ultra and a nice PC.  The music is cool in certain parts like Moria and Angmar.

People will argue till they're blue in the face, but having played it as recently as a week ago I can tell you that me, my brother and his friend could tolerate it about 1 month and we're done.  We couldnt even make it to GW2 launch.  Good luck and maybe someone can give you more insight past Moria.

You clearly have only played LOTRO until maybe level 40 and on one class a LM.  I along with most of my kinship have played over 5 yrs.  I usually don’t waste my time on tro!!s but I will engage you in your points.

1> The story is by far the best in an MMO, being a so called LOTRO fan this should have been a point in your post, but usually with most Tro!!s they just post all negative stuff.

2>  These are deeds, if you want to take the time to improve your character you do them.  If you want to be the best in one month (the time you have played)  your right this game is not for you.  If you are lazy and whine about having to explore one of the best worlds in all MMO's this game is not for you. 

3>  I have been playing this game for over 5yrs, I have never experienced your skate statement, except in the RoR beta on the new warhorses.  Which they are fixing.  You can't cast a "full second" after you stop? 

4> Most tro!!s bring this up as a negative but at least you recognize this is Lord of the rings and they are sticking with the Lore.  If you ever made it past level 40 you would see there are a lot more npc to kill. 

5>  The combat is not the best in all of MMO's I can agree with that.  Once you get into group and you have the different combination and all the other things going on combat is a blast.  Again if you made it past level 40 you would know understand you can kill things fast.  My main is a level 75 captain, I can kill all common mobs (75) in 3 hits when crited.  A captain is not even a high DPS class. 

6>Same old thing...please get past level 40 and this is an MMO almost all MMOs have the same quest setup for leveling.  I am not saying its right but until an MMO figures away to change that its annoying to complain about if your playing an MMO.

7> 1st you have to be above level 40 to do PVP, 2nd most people in PVP are maxed level, 3rd my server has a very active PVP element, 4th PVP is getting a major update in RoR, 5th get above level 40. 

If LOTRO isnt for you that great, why waste your time and try to bash a game you have clearly not played to its potential. 

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279

You know, I have to laugh at this sort of post. The author spends three or four paragraphs tearing strips off the game mechanics and taking a pop at his peers on the server and then, a couple of line from the bottom, you get the clincher...

...I've played on Landroval for four years now, something like 1500 hours....

Do you need me to spell it out for you...?

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303
    Originally posted by gracefield

You know, I have to laugh at this sort of post. The author spends three or four paragraphs tearing strips off the game mechanics and taking a pop at his peers on the server and then, a couple of line from the bottom, you get the clincher...

...I've played on Landroval for four years now, something like 1500 hours....

Do you need me to spell it out for you...?

Either someone held a gun to his head the entire time, or he's a masochist. That about right? He sounds a bit like me when I'm talkin about my job though, so maybe he gets paid for it and only does it for the money?

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

@OP

Not realy worth it as LOTRO end-game is bad, like many here said. It's grindy with a lot of cash shop shortcuts. Few examples(and yes, you need those for end-game):

- you can either kill 360 mobs for deed OR pay $ and kill only 180

- you can either gather/buy 500 ore and lvl up crafting or pay $ and need only 250 ore

- you can either grind special socketed gems for weapon(cause you change it every few levels or when you get better one) or pay $ and have them unslotted

Still if you don't mind paying(or grinding) raids and instances are quite good, usually with normal/hard versions. There is one true multiboss raid(not some skirmish easy mode garbage) - Tower of Orthanc, splitted into 4 smaller parts. One more 1-boss lair raid with Draigoh(dragon), fun for first time but easy and getting old fast.  Two 6-man instances and three 3-man(at least that was the number when I last played). There are more raids/instances but it's just old rehashed stuff, with no meaningful gear and can't be called end-game as such.

=======================================

LOTRO has good and bad quests ranging from quite entertaining ones to most horrible fedex/kill ten rats quests. I remember quite few camps in Mirkwood where NPCs quest were like this :

- Go kill 20 orc warriors and 10 orc archers in A camp!

- All done? Great now go to the A camp and get me 10 orc smelly pants and 5 rusty frying pans

- Ok. now go kill that orc boss from camp A.

- Hey! Did I mention that there is orc camp B...?

But main story(so called epic books) and last expansion quests(story wise) are actaully solid rock part.

==============================================

Anyways to sum it up - LOTRO is well worth trying but NOT for it's end-game. It has flawlessly designed world, with tons of decent quests and well designed classes that can entertain you for quite a while. But almost none of it is actually free(you pay for quests here), so it's also bad choice as F2P game. But for casual mature gamer it can be nice place to relax.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

best thing to do:

play LOTRO until Storm Legion.  Rift hasnt added any compelling content since EI anyway unless you are a raider, and even then theres only been one raid added in the last 12 months.  If you arent digging LOTRO when SL comes out, hop back to Rift. 

• buden-ninjabuden-ninja Member UncommonPosts: 53

I played LotRO for just over 3 years. I enjoyed it. I love the setting, the story, and the classes were all fun at varying degrees (burglar was great to play, for me). But I stopped playing just before Isengard was released and uninstalled it several months ago. I didn't like the direction it was going in. Another level cap increase. That means more grinding to get more loot and deeds. I have considered going back several times but I am always turned off by the grind. I shudder to think about  killing 450 wargs in one zone. Grinding for rep? Those are even doable for me but it is the Legendary Item grind that keeps me from reinstalling the game in the end. And now with Rohan coming out and another level cap increase? I will never reach the cap. I think the best thing to do is to play it until Lothlorien. Enjoy the journey. The other zones are good - don't get me wrong - but that was it for me. I was always a VIP when I played. I have over 5000TP on my account but nothing to do with them now. I might go back one day and start over on a different server because I like the story upto Lothlorien. Might as well do something with those points. 

I played Rift until level 40. I really liked it but left because of the community. LotRO has a great community but there are some donkeys, too. 

It's laughable to talk about grind in lotro. Honestly, killing 350 mobs is grind to you(that's like a whole hour with a FS ... how horrible)? The LI system is a grind? 

I have I idea what mmo you compare lotro too, but it's about the least grindy mmo I know. Maybe there is less grind in STO or SWtoR, but that's about it. From EQ 1&2, lineage 1&2, wow,  EvE or pretty much any bigger classic mmo the last 10 years has its grind, simply because that's the only way you can put hundreds of hours into your char without maxing it.

What, you preferred if after reaching maxlevel you got a "game over" screen? If you don't want to grind then don't. It's not like the +3 strength those 360 orcs will give you is even going to be noticeable on your 1200+ strength armor set. It's a casual game, those stats will not matter even in endgame, and no one will notice if you lack them.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Lotro is a very good game and you should consider trying it after all it is F2P.      Do you love Story and Lore? Do you love good graphics and immersive game play? Do you love great perfomance from your mmo?  Do you love a great sound track?  these are the positives for Lotro.    If you love PvP look elswhere. You will have to kill bears over and over again but the story makes up for it.  Have fun my precious
  • TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Rocketeer

It's laughable to talk about grind in lotro. Honestly, killing 350 mobs is grind to you(that's like a whole hour with a FS ... how horrible)? The LI system is a grind? 

The quests are an insane grind, because they're all extremely generic and all almost exactly the same.

If you can somehow tolerate WoW clones, then you could tolerate LotRO. It's a decent WoW clone.

Overall disappointing MMO though.

Originally posted by Tibernicus
    Originally posted by Rocketeer

The quests are an insane grind, because they're all extremely generic and all almost exactly the same.

If you can somehow tolerate WoW clones, then you could tolerate LotRO. It's a decent WoW clone.

Overall disappointing MMO though.

Then don't do them? You can easily level just by doing instances, skirmishes, pvmp and just doing the book quests.

Nobody holding a gun at your head telling you to do boring quests. I avoid them pretty much whenever i can myself, theres just so many ways you can do fetch and kill quests and i have seen them all by now.