Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should i buy this or MoP?

Comments

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by Starfired

I have YEARS invested into my WoW account. I haven't played it in about 6 months, trying other games, you know the deal.

And the most obvious choice for all MMO players in the next two months is GW2? or MoP?

Anyone care to try to sway me either way? I just dont see what GW2 has that is so spectacular to earn such an enormous hype rating on this site. I know the obvious features, i've done my research. I just haven't played any Beta, so I am having a hard time choosing which to spend my monies on.

Thanks, 

Me

if the fact that ArenaNet actually caring more about it's players than them greedy suits at Blizzard is not enough to make up your mind nothing will. WoW is a pathetic tread mill. You want to keep chasing that carrot like a stupid sheep, have at it. Anyone with an IQ abouve a shoe can see clearly GW2 is a superior product with developers behind it that are motivated by what the players want and not screwing you out of every single second so you keep playing and paying that sub.

• mmoluvammoluva Member UncommonPosts: 323

Do you purchase console games while playing World of Warcraft? 

If the answer is yes, you should buy both.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by yaoming36

Pretty sure WoW alothough losing 1mil still has like 9 mil subs. Its still a "motherfucken yacht", or a cruise liner

Actually I think someone had posted earlier that most of these come Asia where the rate is per hour... In NA is probably around 3m people... 

NA may be around 3m but theres also Euro too w around 2m

4 years ago, West - East split used to be 45-55;  im guessing it 40-60 now

ON TOPIC:

Op, wait for a GW2 trial, you hinted you can only afford 1 game and MOP will entertain you for awhile

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

As many said :

if you want to see what next episode of WoW adventures is, buy MoP.

if you want fresh game mechanics, buy GW2.

So in the end I guess that pragmatically, it breaks down to either wanting to continue reading a long story (and paying more for that), or opening a new book.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189

Since you say you can only afford one, that means you can only spend $60. That means you cannot buy both, which is total of $120. That means if you buy WoW MoP for say $60 , you'll only be able to play for max 4 months before you run out of money.

Whereas if you buy GW2 for $60 you'll be able to play it always since there is no sub fee.

• adaneshadeadaneshade Member Posts: 36
    I like and understand what you're saying about GW2, about the level playing field, dynamic events. Does that mean there is no gear grinding in GW2? What is there to work for then?

Therein lies the problem...games, as a pure form of entertainment, cease to fill that role when they become "work".  Instead becoming some sort of masochistic device in which we do things we dislike to be rewarded with some imaginary "carrot" that turns out to not be a carrot afterall, rather the precursor to the REAL carrot that we must now grind for in some endless, nonsensical loop.

The end result being a few moments of enjoyment sparsely scattered in a largely unenjoyable experience.

Gamers seem to have been brainwashed so badly by other games in this genre.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Since he got 3 kids and budget wise he can only choose 1 game.

I would recommend GW2 with no subs at all.

Save the $15 monthly from subbing WOW and spend it on Steam Christmas Sales.

Choose the games that you can play with your kids.

Hopefully this game will be at $5 - $7 by end of the year 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAhwY_KWLC8&feature=plcp

or 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXkK4LCO2dg&feature=plcp

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Since GW2 doesn't require a subscription, you can buy GW2, save the $15/month you would have spent on the WoW subscription, and then buy MoP later if you still have the desire to play the expansion.

Plus GW2 will still be there if you tire of WoW and decude ti take another extended break.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

I have YEARS invested into my WoW account. I haven't played it in about 6 months, trying other games, you know the deal.

And the most obvious choice for all MMO players in the next two months is GW2? or MoP?

Anyone care to try to sway me either way? I just dont see what GW2 has that is so spectacular to earn such an enormous hype rating on this site. I know the obvious features, i've done my research. I just haven't played any Beta, so I am having a hard time choosing which to spend my monies on.

Thanks, 

Me

You've come to the GW2 official section instead of the normal generic general section....does that tell you something?

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    I like and understand what you're saying about GW2, about the level playing field, dynamic events. Does that mean there is no gear grinding in GW2? What is there to work for then?

how about fun and adventure

if  you think paying a sub is  worth what you get  then go to wow

if you think that gear should decided what you can do   then go to wow

if you want a game that you know and dont need to rethink how to play  the game then go to wow

if you want to expand and see somthing new  refreshing and very diffrent then go to gw2

feel like a noob again with no idea whats going  on then go to gw2

love discovery and exploration then  go to gw2

has no subscriptions then go to gw2

up to you what you do  

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    If you are seriously asking this question after telling us you've done your research on the game, then stick with WoW.
  • LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Thanks, 

Me

I think you should buy MOP

and If you have money left over, I am more than happen to make up your mind for you on how to use it.

I will be playing GW2, but You can play MOP , the trailer for MOP is quite good.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• KanubisKanubis Member Posts: 112

As a fully paid-up GW2 fanboi:

MoP. You clearly still love WoW, so carry on with it. But after a few months, when you've cleared the current raid tiers and have the cash, get GW2 as your 'waiting for WoW content patch' game. In WoW it's more important to keep up (I took a break after Cata launch and when the I came back the Troll instance were all the rage but I lacked the ilevel to enter them.)  GW2 on the other hand will always sit there waiting for you to have a bit of a WoW break, and won't punish you in any way, shape or form for falling behind.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by thinktank001

Thanks, 

Me

You might as well buy both.   GW2 won't be good enough to hold your attention for long, but it only costs $60.   That is if you don't buy any items from the Cash Shop.

I don't know where you got the idea that GW2 won't be good enough to hold his attention for long, you either clearly never played the game or you're just trolling. Its pretty obvious that GW2 offers ALOT more content than nearly every (if not all) MMO at release. Bad trolls are bad.

• CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151

Don't think we can help you there mate.. I haven't tried GW2 either, but I've bought it because the reviews I have seen on youtube really got me. I played Wow for a couple of years as well, though I eventually burned out. I returned a couple of times but never stayed.

Sometimes it's a good thing to try something new... Even more so if you think of Wow as work and not fun. :)

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

If you are hurting for bread and want the best bang for your bucks GW2 with no monthly sub is a great game and is a no brainer..

However if WoW is still something you desire to play not because of your time investment but because you just want to play it or you are in a good guild and you dont mind it chewing a hole in your pocket every month you should go with Wow..

PS.

GW2 or WoW will still be there when you are done with the other but i expect MOP will get old and cheaper before GW2 does..

Playing GW2..

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

So I looked at all the pages and your post OP, clearly you had to have just glanced at a few features at GW2 and didn't actually read up on them and called it research, I do it some times as well myself ha ha. I say this because of your question after the OP lol, they where just shouting "I don't really know much about the game but I shall claim I do."

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/359874/Aerowyns-Video-Compilation-of-ALL-things-Guild-Wars-2.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/337506/Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.html

Now there is also a something to work for in GW2 but it's subjective, there is a gear treadmill of some sort I could have it backwards my memory is terrible. It's just that you don't have to do raids to become a great and powerful player in GW2, and you don't have to do raids to get the best gear, there is multiple ways. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

The game doesn't really change at the end however there is a zone named Orr the way they explained it, it sounds like a PVE version of WvWvW.

Now if your not satisfied by any of the above or what others say I'd say just stick with WoW and buy MoP. You seem like that type that without raids and a unreachable carrot, you won't be satisfied but I could possibly be wrong which I'd careless but that's just from reading things and the question.

You really shouldn't have to pay for work lol I.E paying 15$ to work for some powerful gear that'll be replaced soon but well to each his own.

Hope this helps.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

If money is such an issue then you're probably better off with GW2. If however you like WoW and just haven't been able to play due to money restrictions then you can get MoP and play a few months.

Of course, if these financial restrictions are going to be around for a while, then why are you even considering a Pay2Play game like WoW?

imageimage
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Still loving all the comments about GW2 not being able to keep people's attention beyond a few months, when they haven't even played that long, just because it doesn't have RAIDS.  90% of the time most people play WoW, they're not in raids, and at one point it had 12 million subscribers.  It's not the fucking raids that bring people back, no one seems to get that through their heads.

Anyway, I quit WoW and am not looking forward to the new expansion.  I'll be playing GW2 because the combat is more than just spamming your hot keys and getting out of the fire, and combat is important to me.  If you stand still in GW2 on regular mobs, you'll die.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Still loving all the comments about GW2 not being able to keep people's attention beyond a few months, when they haven't even played that long, just because it doesn't have RAIDS.  

Anyway, I quit WoW and am not looking forward to the new expansion.  I'll be playing GW2 because the combat is more than just spamming your hot keys and getting out of the fire, and combat is important to me.  If you stand still in GW2 on regular mobs, you'll die.

I agree! You don't need raids to even play WoW and keep your attention level high. I rarely, if ever do raids and I have been playing WoW for many years. I have 1 account since it's inception the entire time. I have used a second account and kept active on and of for the same amount of time. Yesterday, after 7 years, 8 months, and 24 days I canceled my main subscription.  So about $1380.00 later I have put the nail in WoWs coffin. I have until 23 August to play. I have pre-purchased GW2 and it was $60 bucks. Thank you ArenaNet. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Originally posted by Mardermann

If you have still fun in WoW buy Mists of Pandaria...

If you want to try something new buy GW2 

You could go nuts and buy both... GW2 is BTP - so no monthly fee...

WoW is a good game (yes I said it) - very polished, just not my cup of coffee

I have been in the GW2 Beta since the first BWE and I really liked it very much.

But its a personal choice.

But is it really anything new?

Something new that no one mentioned (unless I miseed it) is that the concept of tank, healer and dps is gone, probably for the first time in a game like since it was first introduced. Hard to say if it will be for the best, but surely it's worth considering if you are to decide.

Also: "Habere not Haberi". You play to have a good time, don't let the things you "own" in a game condition your choice.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Pandamin

But is it really anything new?

Your bait is weak.

I don't understand. I was being serious?

What makes it so new, that i would want to ditch my heavily invested in WoW account, to play this other game? Is it really THAT much better? I just don't get it really

If you have so much invested in your account, then sell it maybe? I'm sure you'll make your money back easily if it was a good investment. Or did you just realize how much money you already SPENT on playing WoW and think that spending some more will bring it all back?

If you enjoy WoW then play WoW if you can afford it. If money is a problem then get over your "investment" and make the best of it.

imageimage
  • palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    If you didn't liked first gw you will not like this one. I was not very impressed in gw2 beta but i purchased this game. Wow is forever in my heart and i don't think that  guild wars can change that. Maybe some postapocalyptic mmo  like WarZ but for sure not game in fantasy genre. I bought gw2 like i did with first part but i know i will play maybe for 2-3 weeks and after that i will return to wow(mop) again like always.  Wait 1-2 month with gw2 and you will have that game for 20$
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by palulalula
    If you didn't liked first gw you will not like this one. I was not very impressed in gw2 beta but i purchased this game. Wow is forever in my heart and i don't think that  guild wars can change that. Maybe some postapocalyptic mmo  like WarZ but for sure not game in fantasy genre. I bought gw2 like i did with first part but i know i will play maybe for 2-3 weeks and after that i will return to wow(mop) again like always.  Wait 1-2 month with gw2 and you will have that game for 20$

I didn't like the first GW and love this one. It is a matter of opinion. :)

Edit: Comparing GW1 to GW2 is like comparing Diablo to WoW. Both are developed by the same developers (Anet/Blizzard) but they are totally different.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• adaneshadeadaneshade Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by palulalula

That is an inaccurate blanket statement. While it may be true that some like neither; there are many, including myself, who did not particularly care for GW1 but LOVE what we have seen in GW2 thus far. They are really miles apart in every aspect, save maybe the setting. The fact that it's a true MMO in the sense that it's no longer a lobby-style game was the largest factor, for me anyway, in that opinion.