Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The WoW Killer! Proof and Evidence incl.

jwhitehornjwhitehorn Member Posts: 5

Greetings Fine Citizens of MMORPG,

First, let me begin by telling you all that I have played World of Warcraft for over 8 years.  For those who have been under a rock WoW has been the leading and #1 MMO since it was created.  While I am not one to use resume's to justify an analysis I think we can all agree that Drew Brees or an elite quaterback on an elite team has a better understanding of the game of football because of his experiences on that team.  So because of my experience with the #1 MMO I certainly have a knowledge of "what works".  Add in that I have played other online games like Travian, Dragonvale, and I even still have memories of my older brother playing th Legendary Everquest.  I think it is sufficient to say that I may not know EVERYTHING about every game but I certainly know more than at least 96% of gamers.  So please enjoy as I let you in on a little secret.

The Real WoW Killer

Thanks to the miracle of youtube I have an intimate understanding of almost all MMO's since wow.  I have watched almost every gameplay video and immediately realized that the game would not be a WoW killer.  I predicted that SWTOR would not kill wow.  Then I predicted that Rift would not kill wow.  Then I predicted that Cataclysm would not kill WoW even though people don't like fighting dragons as much anymore in WoW.  And of course recently most through beta testing we have come to the harsh realization that even GW2 will have to go F2P and lose most of its subscribers in the first month.  But if I knew about all those failures before they happened why am I telling you about a WoW-killer now?  Well that is because the true wow-killer has arrived.

Enter the Champion

The real wow killer will be a game called "Salum".  Below I will give you just a few of the gameplay features that set this game apart from all others.  As well as an in-depth analysis of each item.

• Larger Game World
  • Unique Leveling System
  • More Diverse Mob Engagements
  • Thriving Open World PVP
  • Death Penalty
  • Player Housing

Larger Game World
  Yes thats right this world is HUGE!  So large that I imagine the development team probably spent 5+ years just in designing the whole map.  To give you a clear perspective of how large this world is if you were to take the entire surface area of Mars where the USA Rover just landed it is probably that big.  I believe it would take our rover over a week to walk the entire surface of mars and this world I imagine is no different.

Unique Leveling System
  DING!.  Congrats!  Oh the words you loved to hear.  But do you hear them anymore?  All too frequently games make you the max level too fast or offer a recruit-a-friend option that allows you to hit max level super fast.  While some people feel accomlishment for getting there they then realize that their life is empty and lacks focus.  Why play if you have no more ding's to achieve?  In this game there are tons of levels each in their own skills so if you max one then you can move on to the next meaning there are many more "dings" to be had.  When you took Football away from Joe Paterno we all know what happened.  The same fate will be suffered by WoW since their player base has so many long lull's with nothing to look forward to.

More Diverse Mob Engagements
  In Salum you start by killing Crickets.  Thats right!  A cricket!  In WoW when you killed a dragon it was not as big a deal because honestly I remember killing baby dragons and wolves as low as level 7.  The gap and diversity of just wasn't there which again hinders your sense of pride and inevitably makes you question your manhood.  Nobody wants that.  By struggling with a cricket and yes sometimes even losing you will feel that much stronger when you are powerful enough to slay a dragon in salum.

Thriving Open World PVP
  I havn't seen a single battleground in Salum.  Everywhere you go you have to scared which means you have to be focus'd.  The more you focus on something the more intense it gets.  A big focus is the reason that a magnifying glass can get so intesnse it can burn things.  The gameplay of this game is equally intense which will let them keep more subscribers and maybe even raise subscription costs if they wanted to.  WoW could never get away with raising costs so when inflation turns on $14.99/mo might as well be $4.00 if they can't raise it.

Death Penalty
  This game has a Death penalty.  Not just a run back to your body death penalty but you actually lose stuff.  In WoW I would also just kill my character so I could see the new zones without having to dodge mobs.  In this game there is no ghost mode so if I want to try to find a new zone I have to run there dodging crickets myself.  This changes the entire perception and play.

Player Housing
  This is by far the most important aspect of any MMO and WoW really missed the boat here.  I even offered WoW a profit sharing split where they can take my revolutionary idea to make houses in a MMO and we can split the $$.  They didn't even have the curtiousy to return my e-mails.  Now it is too late as Salum beat everybody to it.  You can build houses in this game.  Everybody wants a house and everybody wants to play games so it was only a matter of time before people put the 2 together. 

Conclusion
  The WoW-killer has arrived.  It just wasn't the game anybody expected to do it.  But thats what always gets you.  The guy you weren't paying attention to.  Nobody even knew who Blizzard was before WoW and because of that element of surprise they took over the market.  Expect the makers of Salum to do the same.

You heard it here first,
Healem

Comments

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by jwhitehorn

Wrong forum. This has nothing to do with GW2.

Also, the game is called Salem not Salum.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

It's called Salem.

Also in the wrong section XD 

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Obviously some sort of bizarre joke.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245

First of all you spelled your wow killing game wrong- so you know about all games but not how to spell the name of it, i should have stopped reading right there

secondly what do you mean by  " GW2 will have to go F2P and lose most of its subscribers in the first month."

You dont know as much as you think you do !!!!!

When you said this "I have played World of Warcraft for over 8 years and because of my experience with the #1 MMO I certainly have a knowledge of "what works".   I knew this thread was troll bait.

Salem looks cool but it will be a niche audience

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189

And of course recently most through beta testing we have come to the harsh realization that even GW2 will have to go F2P and lose most of its subscribers in the first month.  

I love this thread

• DeCeaseD1DeCeaseD1 Member Posts: 29
    I don't get it.. are you trying to troll Guild Wars 2, or.. ? Wrong section?? I just.. huh?
  • ezjay1975ezjay1975 Member UncommonPosts: 131

The Real WoW Killer

Thanks to the miracle of youtube I have an intimate understanding of almost all MMO's since wow.  I have watched almost every gameplay video and immediately realized that the game would not be a WoW killer.  I predicted that SWTOR would not kill wow.  Then I predicted that Rift would not kill wow.  Then I predicted that Cataclysm would not kill WoW even though people don't like fighting dragons as much anymore in WoW.  And of course recently most through beta testing we have come to the harsh realization that even GW2 will have to go F2P and lose most of its subscribers in the first month.  But if I knew about all those failures before they happened why am I telling you about a WoW-killer now?  Well that is because the true wow-killer has arrived.

Sorry. Stopped reading after this part. Lost credibility seeing how GW2 would have to have a sub fee to go F2P. Do a little bit of research its B2P.

• LethalJaxxLethalJaxx Member Posts: 105

1. What's this doing in GW2 forum?

2. The game is called Salem, not Salum

3. Salem is a niche game through and through. Nearly every single aspect of it is only interesting to a small, yet dedicated community

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Is there any way for me to "unsee" the 30 seconds of that Salem gameplay that I just watched?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    lame
  • jwhitehornjwhitehorn Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by heartless

I talked about GW2 in the analysis perhaps you should re-read it.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

lol

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• jwhitehornjwhitehorn Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by ezjay1975

Sorry. Stopped reading after this part. Lost credibility seeing how GW2 would have to have a sub fee to go F2P. Do a little bit of research its B2P.

I just did a bit of research and it appears that they are already backpeddling to a F2P model and it hasn't even launched yet.  Man that has to be some kind of new record.  Good thing I was here to tell you guys about the real wow-killer then.

Perhaps you should reanalize your "analysis." if you actually want people to take you seriously.

• latinkurolatinkuro Member Posts: 121

Greetings Fine Citizens of MMORPG,

First, let me begin by telling you all that I have played World of Warcraft for over 8 years.  For those who have been under a rock WoW has been the leading and #1 MMO since it was created.  While I am not one to use resume's to justify an analysis I think we can all agree that Drew Brees or an elite quaterback on an elite team has a better understanding of the game of football because of his experiences on that team.  So because of my experience with the #1 MMO I certainly have a knowledge of "what works".  Add in that I have played other online games like Travian, Dragonvale, and I even still have memories of my older brother playing th Legendary Everquest.  I think it is sufficient to say that I may not know EVERYTHING about every game but I certainly know more than at least 96% of gamers.  So please enjoy as I let you in on a little secret.

The Real WoW Killer

Enter the Champion

The real wow killer will be a game called "Salum".  Below I will give you just a few of the gameplay features that set this game apart from all others.  As well as an in-depth analysis of each item.

• Larger Game World
    • Unique Leveling System
    • More Diverse Mob Engagements
    • Thriving Open World PVP
    • Death Penalty
    • Player Housing

Larger Game World
      Yes thats right this world is HUGE!  So large that I imagine the development team probably spent 5+ years just in designing the whole map.  To give you a clear perspective of how large this world is if you were to take the entire surface area of Mars where the USA Rover just landed it is probably that big.  I believe it would take our rover over a week to walk the entire surface of mars and this world I imagine is no different.

Unique Leveling System
      DING!.  Congrats!  Oh the words you loved to hear.  But do you hear them anymore?  All too frequently games make you the max level too fast or offer a recruit-a-friend option that allows you to hit max level super fast.  While some people feel accomlishment for getting there they then realize that their life is empty and lacks focus.  Why play if you have no more ding's to achieve?  In this game there are tons of levels each in their own skills so if you max one then you can move on to the next meaning there are many more "dings" to be had.  When you took Football away from Joe Paterno we all know what happened.  The same fate will be suffered by WoW since their player base has so many long lull's with nothing to look forward to.

More Diverse Mob Engagements
      In Salum you start by killing Crickets.  Thats right!  A cricket!  In WoW when you killed a dragon it was not as big a deal because honestly I remember killing baby dragons and wolves as low as level 7.  The gap and diversity of just wasn't there which again hinders your sense of pride and inevitably makes you question your manhood.  Nobody wants that.  By struggling with a cricket and yes sometimes even losing you will feel that much stronger when you are powerful enough to slay a dragon in salum.

Thriving Open World PVP
      I havn't seen a single battleground in Salum.  Everywhere you go you have to scared which means you have to be focus'd.  The more you focus on something the more intense it gets.  A big focus is the reason that a magnifying glass can get so intesnse it can burn things.  The gameplay of this game is equally intense which will let them keep more subscribers and maybe even raise subscription costs if they wanted to.  WoW could never get away with raising costs so when inflation turns on $14.99/mo might as well be $4.00 if they can't raise it.

Death Penalty
      This game has a Death penalty.  Not just a run back to your body death penalty but you actually lose stuff.  In WoW I would also just kill my character so I could see the new zones without having to dodge mobs.  In this game there is no ghost mode so if I want to try to find a new zone I have to run there dodging crickets myself.  This changes the entire perception and play.

Player Housing
      This is by far the most important aspect of any MMO and WoW really missed the boat here.  I even offered WoW a profit sharing split where they can take my revolutionary idea to make houses in a MMO and we can split the $$.  They didn't even have the curtiousy to return my e-mails.  Now it is too late as Salum beat everybody to it.  You can build houses in this game.  Everybody wants a house and everybody wants to play games so it was only a matter of time before people put the 2 together. 

Conclusion
      The WoW-killer has arrived.  It just wasn't the game anybody expected to do it.  But thats what always gets you.  The guy you weren't paying attention to.  Nobody even knew who Blizzard was before WoW and because of that element of surprise they took over the market.  Expect the makers of Salum to do the same.

You heard it here first,
    Healem

You say you're an elite, yet you fail to know the simple fact GW2 is a B2P no subscription F2P mmorpg.

I stopped reading right there and then, because anything else you're saying is probably wrong in some way or another.

If you're what is known as an elite player, thank god for casuals.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I just did a bit of research and it appears that they are already backpeddling to a F2P model and it hasn't even launched yet.  Man that has to be some kind of new record.  Good thing I was here to tell you guys about the real wow-killer then.

umm wow people aren't even trying anymore.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347
    One of the weirdest jokes ever.

• jmlane223jmlane223 Member UncommonPosts: 197

If this post is not clear enough I'll spell it out... he is trolling you all
  • KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347
    Originally posted by jmlane223

This much is obvious, it is just such a strange troll.  I actually for sorry for the poor soul :(

Originally posted by jmlane223

I'm pretty sure he is. However, if he's not, that would make this topic even more LOL worthy.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I actually grew up next to Salem and lived there for a bit. Nice place, you can still find homes built in the 16 and 17 hundreds.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

1. you can't prove an opinion true or false that is like saying its an objective fact that red is a better color than blue.  I shouldn't have to tell people the 'wow killer'' term is as opinion as it gets.

2. I am looking forward to GW2 as much as anybody , I'm totally sick and tired of wow dominating the MMO industry and inspiring clones to the point where imho all they are doing is re-packing the same thing with a few minor tweaks.

3.  all these threads that are full of hyperbole do is give fanatical people something to talk about, If you have ever had someone unload on you while playing a MMO for practically nothing than you have met the type of person i just described.

5. All i want is more variety  in the MMO's I play , i don't care what blizzard does so long as there fininacial success doesn't inspire legions of clone games ( notice i didn't blame blizzard i blamed the people too chicken *bleep* to try develop something different)

6. Sorry but salem looks like complete and utter crap,  I cannot in any way take a bobble head seriously or RP it in my own head to the point where i actually convince myself these are actual biped humans in salem......Uber immersion breaker i think yes, does every game have to have perfect animations and graphics and esthetics no, but making them a total turn off is highly dumb, sorry but no way in hell for this reason alone will Salem every have a massive population.

7. Permadeath is niche game play i have 0 problems with it, but it just doesn't put asses in the seats the way many will expect it to, And before anyone brings up Day Z , it doesn't look like garbage.

I am not looking for Salem to suck i just don't think it will ever draw a huge crowd

8. Nothing you said about GW2 loosing subs is aplicaple to buy 2 play games, its applicaple to subscription based theme park wow rip off games.....

9. The comparison to drew bree's is friggin nuts, and just because you played wow for a long time doesn't mean you are qualfied to evaluate the whole industry , I beta tested wow big F'ing deal all that means is i have history playing games.

• Sabnock34Sabnock34 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    how are we going to lose most of the subscribers when GW2 is free monthly, and technically dont subscribe at all..? lol
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Really?

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Have you lived under a rock?  

GW2 was designed with the P2W business model from the start.  

This discussion has been closed.