Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When did you become interested in GW2

Comments

• HeadBytorHeadBytor Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Back when it was first annouonced. I was playing gw1 at the time, and knew I had to get their sequel. I've developed a lot of trust in anet through their first game.
  • megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239
    <-------- GW1 player since 2005, found out about GW2 in 2007, took a break from gaming 2007-2009 and started closely following the development of GW2 at the end of 2009/beginning of 2010.
  • dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

After watching that Shaterrer video at 'Gamescom' i was excited. They finally bought me with the sentence:

"We thing that all these major bosses need to be available for everyone and not at the end of some big dungeon, available only to people who spends whole day to get there".

It was an instant buy for me, despite how will they turn out to be. Fight with dragon who can barely stand on your screen is epic nevertheless :D.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

When my attention was drawn to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7rBhD9dwfc in a guild forum post. It's been sitting in my favorites list ever since.

No fixed roles, even more flexibility than RIFT. No more LF tank, LF healer.

No monthly fees.

Dynamic Events, even if there are a lot of "heart quests" now too. :/ I hope those will go away as we get higher level. The linear quest hub to quest hub kind of thing just needs to go alltogether.

Personal Story, even if after TOR I'm a bit weary about this. It's optional though, so that's a plus anyway.

No kill stealing or mob tagging. Dynamic grouping.

WvWvW with server matching. Not two factions on one server that is more likely to result in imbalanced battles than anything else, without much hope of things ever getting much better to boot.

Level scaling.

I mean, is this different from what you're playing now or not?

Oh and I got a BWE3 beta key, played a few classes and realized this game would be my game for the next couple of years at least. The different classes and weapon combinations are simply amazing.

imageimage
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    A few months ago though I've known about it a lot longer.  Being so far from release and caught into other games it wasn't until I did some research into the mechanics that I got hooked.  To me it's the closest thing to a real MMO out there.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    ArenaNet's MMO Manifesto video - that caught my attention!

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    burned out on  SWToR  back in July and I needed a new game. Almost went back to EVE  and still have a LoTRO lifetime but knew I would not last more than a month in either so in desperation bought GW2. I also gave TSW a long look and trial but was not impressed.  I  figured wtf worst thing that wil happen is I will hate GW2. Did a stress test and still had my doubts about the artwork but I tried different professions and races in the last BWE and am tickled to death with it's possibilities.

I miss DAoC

• unknown769unknown769 Member Posts: 45
    6 years ago ,iwas bored  and wanna try mmo,play few then try gw1  love it ever since then  5 year and half  thinking on gw2  every years playing other mmo wishing year pass fast ,and here it come finally .funny how to think i play a game and have a grifrined and wating for gw2  and now im amrried whit same person and have a 10 month year old boy and here comes the game lol and still have time.
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    The Manifesto video, which has made it impossible to truly enjoy any mmo since, so although on some level I know Rift, Swtor, TSW and others have good elements, at the back of my mind there is the reality that GW2 is THE mmo. And we all know it.
  • BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

for me it was dynamic events system and nonexisting quest log

i did play gw1 a little, but really just a little, when it was released

• CeleustaCeleusta Member UncommonPosts: 26
    One of my friends is a former DAOC player and always told me how great that game was. He told me GW2 was going to have a similar concept, and since I loved large scale PVP in Shadowbane, I started following the development of GW2.

I played GW1 but only for about a week or so. It didn't really appeal to me, so that wasn't a factor in my interest.
  • JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

I had my interest piqued for GW2 way back when ANet first announced they were working on it.  Although I never did manage to get into GW1, I followed it since it was released because I liked the "idea" behind it and had a lot of respect for what ANet was saying and doing.   My only problem with GW1 was how some of it was implimented, so over the years I kept track of it's progress, changes, etc.  

When they first announced that one of the GW1 expansions was being scrapped in favor of it leading to GW2 and talked about why and what was involved, I thought "wow, that sounds good, I might actually enjoy playing it once it comes out."   And I have been following it ever since.

When they put up their design Manifesto video is when I got truly excited and eagre.

Then when I got to actually play it, in BWE1....I was ruined for all other games. *sigh*

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by Christooo
    When it was announced 5 years ago ... I don't think you realise how excited I am for this game

Oh I think I do lol. I remember getting into debates over on guru over what professions should be in and out, and how long it will take for release. I always said 2011 at the earliest, 2012 at the latest. Turns out my prediction was right, no matter how many people disagreed with me.

I think it's quite amazing how many people became interested in GW2 with the Manifesto video. I loved the video because after almost 3 years of silence, I finally saw something about GW2. 

Originally posted by Jagarid

I had my interest piqued for GW2 way back when ANet first announced they were working on it.  Although I never did manage to get into GW1, I followed it since it was released because I liked the "idea" behind it and had a lot of respect for what ANet was saying and doing.   My only problem with GW1 was how some of it was implimented, so over the years I kept track of it's progress, changes, etc.  

When they first announced that one of the GW1 expansions was being scrapped in favor of it leading to GW2 and talked about why and what was involved, I thought "wow, that sounds good, I might actually enjoy playing it once it comes out."   And I have been following it ever since.

When they put up their design Manifesto video is when I got truly excited and eagre.

Then when I got to actually play it, in BWE1....I was ruined for all other games. *sigh*

Yeah same here. I couldn't play any other MMO after BWE1. Though I was pretty burned out of current MMOs in the first place. I've avoided playing BWE2 and BWE3 and the stress tests so I didn't ruin anything else about the game. I figured if I've waited 5 years at this point, I can wait a few more months.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    after I tried Rift and Tera.  I decided it was worth a try and liked it.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

My best friend and I played GW1 for a while, but I couldn't get into it.  I played it off and on for about a year or so and then tried WoW so I went that direction for a while and found that I liked the more open world.

In 2008 he told me about plans for a sequel to Guild Wars, but I wasn't that interested.  I figured it would just be a graphically superior GW1, but then when I started hearing about it, I become Tera/AA level interested, as in I liked the list of features but had no hopes beyond that.  Then when I saw actual video footage, I really became a fan and wanted to know as much as possible.  My experiences in the BWE's did not disappoint and I knew I found my MMO for the next long stretch of time.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I was interested in gw2 when I found out that it was focusing on being an mmo.   I liked the skill system and story of gw1 but was really frustrated by no jumping and lack of a persistent world (specifically how you needed to be grouped to share the game world.  

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173

Short Version:

I am burned out on the generic archaic wow clone gaming genre and Guild Wars 2 is a revolutionary game changing up and evolving how nearly everything is looked at within the MMORPG genre!!! Bam I said it and I stand by it!

Long Version:

This is going to be a long story leading up to what brought me to Guild Wars 2.

I started MMO's with Ultima Online when it released in Sept 97' and then when Starcraft Released in 98' I began playing that quite seriously even doing some semi pro am competitions in south east asia and west coast USA until BroodWars was released.

I dabbled in MMO's here and there and even tried very hard to get into World of Warcraft especially when Blizzard required it from GM's to level their personal characters to max level.  

I started serious Riading with Everquest and played pretty hardcore with Daoc and Shadowbane. 

Met a gamer called Tigereyes in Starcraft and gamed with her up until 2004 when we met in real life and then in 2005 when we got married.   Weird thing was we instantly moved from RTS games to MMORPG's, mostly to her liking such as Fairyland, FlyFF, ROSE online, and a few others.

2007 a game dev announced Guild Wars 2, totally off my radar because I couldn't stand Guild Wars 1. ***

I got burned out of a lot of games up until that point when I was browsing around this site and MMOHUT.com and saw another F2p game called ALLODS online.  Russian built game that was supposed to be yet another WoW clone, Oh yippy...

Was quite an amazing game at first while it was still in beta but with a true blue Pay 2 Win cash shop and some devious marketing form the Publisher it went south belly up for us so we moved on.  Lotro came into play a little so did LoL, and then lastly RIFT.

Long story short in over 10 years I've grinded linear quest lines in multiple different games for countless hours and have done it sometimes multiple times in the same game.  I have been a hardcore raider and love getting the new fancy big woopass legendary gear to show off while I'm in major cities with my off time just you know my "stuff"

I've done the Raid 4-6 times a week for 4-6 hours at a time and dungeon run in between for countless hours trying to get the ONE item that has been evading me for months, just to watch some random pug first time thru get it as his first drop!!!! (RAGE)

I've ran Raid Groups, siege groups, dungeon groups, and wrote countless articles on "how to" tank / run a dungeon raid group.

One of few things I hated most of all in nearly all games I've played is fighting over resource nodes, mobs, and or loot.  Watching grown men and women throw absolute hissy fits over loot drop that didn't even belong to them when someone earned it fair and square....

Now brings me up until August of 2011 - I was Heavily in a Hardcore raid group in RIFT.  and during one day of sitting in the main little city wondering what to do, after already leveling 2 different characters to max level and gearing them up.  I realiized I was paying $15.00 a month to do nothing until raid time.  I logged off, un  subed and surfed the web for another game.

I saw the Manifesto Video and went "No way in hell the game looks like that" then asked myself "but what if", "what if they actually are doing what they are saying".... Naaaaaaah..!

I discussed the game a few times with some guild mates and then started thinking to myself, "I think I'm done with gaming" I've been a hardcore gaming for over a decade and can't find anything to hold my attention because it all felt the same with a different cover.

When Anet announced pre purchase with beta access I figured heck I'm not doing anything else and I'd give the MMORPG genre one last chance.  

Pre BWE1 I decided to test 2 other games I hadn't played yet, Swtor and Tera.  I hated the quest system of TERA and the "True" Choppy " Action Combat" system... gave me a headache.. Swtor on the other hand was pleasent to play but felt dated.

Then the BWE came and I thought to myself after testing those other two here comes another empty promised super marketed game...  It hit me like a bat to the forhead BAM!!!! Holy cow this is different, feels similar but yet really different.

It took me 2 days of about 15 hours a day to kind of get the rythm of battles.  I first made a Guardian and for the first 15 minutes HATED fighting over trying to hit anything vs Ranged players around me.  I rerolled as a Ranger and went ICKY!!!!

Held steady back with the Guardian for nearly 40 levels.

A few things caught my Attention compared to my past 15 years gaming experience.

1.  I've never played a game that felt this organic and alive.  NPC's don't just stand there holding quests for you and upon completing them move you to the next quest hub.   Yes you do the same types of things... I mean come on its a bloody MMO for gods sake.  But its never ever felt this immersive.

2. Hidden gems.  Either quest events or Hidden puzzle dungeons HOLY cow!!!!   Going on a treasure hunt with some litlte children, human, charr, asura and all from a quest that I could have easily missed.    Stumbling upon a hidden Puzzle Dungeon that I had no clue existed and then figuring it out all on my own.  Took hours but the damn funnest time I've had in any game in nearly 10 years!!!!

3. I was able to test reasonably everything that the manifesto promised and proved they were telling the truth.  If they were telling the truth about the lower level stuff up until level 40.  40 being 158 hours of game play over all beta weekends.  Then I had no reason to believe they weren't about the high level content.

Even if all i get to do is experience what I did during the beta weekend it was worth $60, TOTALY worth way more then that.

But I know that Tyria has way more to offer me upon launch.

Anet has provided me a game that has brought back my initial interest in gaming from the early 1990's and a passion for a game that I've not felt since the first time I got hooked into Raids.

To finish this up.  From a Hardcore raider to a deep love for adventure within a rewarding event mechanic this game absolutely offers a Revolutionary experience compared to ANYTHING that has been released to date in the same Genre, Fantasy MMORPG and I do include TSW within this.  Which I didn't mention above because the 38 hours I played in it, I couldn't get over the horrible character animations, we aren't in the late 90's early 2000's anymore.

Anyways

Thanks if you took the time to read all this :P

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    Short answer, 1 month ago. I heard about it years ago, but never was interested until a few weeks ago.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Apropo

Originally posted by bookworm438

Long live the Guild Wars 2 Revolution!

Wasn´t necessary to quote all your post right after yourself posted...

But wanted to quote at least you final sentence...because i´m in the same boat as you

and enjoyed very much this read.

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Zzad
    Originally posted by Apropo

Originally posted by bookworm438

Long live the Guild Wars 2 Revolution!

Wasn´t necessary to quote all your post right after yourself posted...

But wanted to quote at least you final sentence...because i´m in the same boat as you

and enjoyed very much this read.

didn't realize it did that after I cropped and edited it :P but thank you none the less.

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• Grimrist000Grimrist000 Member Posts: 82
    ever since they announced they were no longer making campaigns for GW1 and that they were gonna work on GW2 instead.  kinda had mixed feelings about it back then since it meant GW1 wasn't gonna get anymore content updates after EOTN but was also excited about the thought of a sequel. fortunately enough, the former wasn't true and we still got free updates - War in Kryta, Hearts of the North, and Winds of Change.
  • ThrashbargThrashbarg Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by Syno23
    Short answer, 1 month ago. I heard about it years ago, but never was interested until a few weeks ago.

That's good, I imagine it must have been really hard on the people who've been waiting 5 years.

I heard about it a few years back too, but didn't pay much mind till this year. I'd been playing PWI for a few years (don't laugh, I had friends playing who got me into it, and it was really fun, occasionally, before the cash shop ate the world like an intergalactic pacman and shat out full rank 9 noobs everywhere...... I digress.....) and heard GW2 was going to have gear-balanced world battles/sieges with no infinite progression ladder to climb or cashed out uberjerks oneshotting everything. 

The day the first beta weekend was announced and pre-purchase available I bought it. Figured if I spent $60 in PWI there wouldn't be much noticable difference in my ability to compete with people who'd spent $50,000 and the chance that GW2 might really be what it claimed was worth the gamble. It was. I stopped even wanting to log in to PWI after the first few hours of beta (not that I wasn't getting bored of it anyway). GW2 has put me off every other game......

My girlfriend saw me playing, and I asked her if she wanted to try (she's declined that offer with PWI for years.....) and she got as hooked as I did. We're both just waiting for the release now like a couple junkies waiting for a fix......

Originally posted by Grimrist000
    ever since they announced they were no longer making campaigns for GW1 and that they were gonna work on GW2 instead.  kinda had mixed feelings about it back then since it meant GW1 wasn't gonna get anymore content updates after EOTN but was also excited about the thought of a sequel. fortunately enough, the former wasn't true and we still got free updates - War in Kryta, Hearts of the North, and Winds of Change.

Right now there's an event running in GW1 for those who are interest. It's basically a walk down memory lane. They've added new quests to all of the campaigns and expansions. There's going to be exclusive drops through the 30th to celebrate the launch of GW2. 

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

Never was interested in GW1.  I do remember playing it however, but I believe it was beta testing, because I never did purchase it.  It just never grabbed me, and I vaguely recall hating the PvE.

Fast forward to August 10th 2012, and totally by chance I saw a stress was coming up (I believe it was that day).  I did a little reading up on it, saw if I pre-purchased I could get in, and totally on a whim I bought it and downloaded it.

The funny thing is, this is totally unlike me, because I usually do a little more research than this before I make a purchase.  What's really odd is the thing that hooked me was the knowledge of the Mesmer class.  Watched a couple videos of the profession in action, and loved the whole idea of it.

Come to think of it, maybe it's not so odd that hooked me.  I used to play an Enchanter in EQ as my main, and loved my Illusion Controller in City of Heroes.  I see a pattern here...