Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else bothered by the lack of... theme?

12346»

Comments

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Originally posted by skydiver12

Theme:

Archeage does not want to be a true Western medieval / or Chinese Wuxia game. Korean like Sunglasses on their avatars, so expect Sunglasses. Korean like underage looking woman, expect to have them. 

I really find it amazing that so many westerners (particularly Americans) find any adult woman who's not a D-cup "underage looking". As if breast size is the only physical indication of femenine maturity.

I blame Baywatch.

My wife is a "B" cup, and she is plenty woman. But I think your going to have a hard time defending asians on this one.

I mean, does she look like she is over 18?

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by Dewm

Theme:

Archeage does not want to be a true Western medieval / or Chinese Wuxia game. Korean like Sunglasses on their avatars, so expect Sunglasses. Korean like underage looking woman, expect to have them. 

I really find it amazing that so many westerners (particularly Americans) find any adult woman who's not a D-cup "underage looking". As if breast size is the only physical indication of femenine maturity.

I blame Baywatch.

My wife is a "B" cup, and she is plenty woman. But I think your going to have a hard time defending asians on this one.

I mean, does she look like she is over 18?

Have you guys ever thought that some of this could just be perception.

My girlfriend is of Chiense Ancestry and after our company christmas party people were "talking" about me and my really young girlfriend. They thought she was in her early 20's. She's 40.

part of this might also be related to their idea of "cute things" and really liking things to be cute. Just because we look at something like this and think Lacivious thougths doesn't mean they do.

Then again, the Japanese do that that tentacle thing so I don't know what's up with that.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Originally posted by RefMinor

I will be able to forgive a lot of the aesthetics and may even wear Bermudas and have a bucket for a hat if the damn game is good.

Hah. I can even believe it all if the game is good. It's like religion. Or movies. They don't have to be logical, they just have to be good. 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I may wasn't clear enough, but i wil ltry it again. 
    When he talks about "Western in Mind" he does not reflect on core game mechanics if any at all. At worst he means the game client has no ridiculous dumb restriction which enforces you to run a korean MUI Windows package. (which ofcourse it does not have). Or does not require a Korean Language pack installed to run the Server.
    There is always a communication issue with Korean Studios, as in general. For you westernization means, appealing core game mechanics, for him westerniazation means he can easely switch client languages.

But one thing is fixed. Game mechanics get created / implemented / removed due to Closed Beta Korean FEEDBACK. And as far as he said, after that they want to go out on the EU /NA market asap. (Sadly) he has not specifically so far said he wants to adjust core game mechanics for outside Korea.(whew) hope i was more clear this time.

In your opinion, that is what he talks about, I do not believe it is so clear cut a statement. However we do agree that it will not be that westernised.
  • FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

When he talks about "Western in Mind" he does not reflect on core game mechanics if any at all. At worst he means the game client has no ridiculous dumb restriction which enforces you to run a korean MUI Windows package. (which ofcourse it does not have). Or does not require a Korean Language pack installed to run the Server.

There is always a communication issue with Korean Studios, as in general. For you westernization means, appealing core game mechanics, for him westerniazation means he can easely switch client languages.

But one thing is fixed. Game mechanics get created / implemented / removed due to Closed Beta Korean FEEDBACK. And as far as he said, after that they want to go out on the EU /NA market asap.

(Sadly) he has not specifically so far said he wants to adjust core game mechanics for outside Korea.

(whew) hope i was more clear this time.

In your opinion, that is what he talks about, I do not believe it is so clear cut a statement. However we do agree that it will not be that westernised.

Good. Personally I hate westernization. I hate easternization too for that matter. Basically I hate when people try to change something from its original form (with the obvious exception of language as long as its not a song) to try and make it fit a new audience.

For example, taking an anime with nudity or "sexual themes", editing the crap out of it, and putting it on North American tv aimed at small kids.

But one thing is fixed. Game mechanics get created / implemented / removed due to Closed Beta Korean FEEDBACK. And as far as he said, after that they want to go out on the EU /NA market asap.

(Sadly) he has not specifically so far said he wants to adjust core game mechanics for outside Korea.
    (whew) hope i was more clear this time.

Good. Personally I hate westernization. I hate easternization too for that matter. Basically I hate when people try to change something from its original form (with the obvious exception of language as long as its not a song) to try and make it fit a new audience.

For example, taking an anime with nudity or "sexual themes", editing the crap out of it, and putting it on North American tv aimed at small kids.

I just want them to release the AA I am seeing in videos, I would prefer less sunglasses, but once you start pulling at a thread before you know it the pVp is in battlegrounds and you have a raiding gear grind.
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

This game does seem profoundly themeless.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by Valentina

MAybe it just has a theme that we have not seen before making it themeless to an un-knowing observer?

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by Valentina

It does seem that way for those who don't know this:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/07/23/archeage-novel-penned-by-popular-korean-fantasy-author/

Even if I was in beta, I would miss out on a lot of background info because I can't read Korean. Still, I try to get some information wherever I can get it - before I can even think of judging a game being made in a foreign country, in a foreign language.

Why can't you?

• AmateAmate Member Posts: 88

What's going on in this thread. I see people mentioning sunglasses, and mustache glasses, WTF? There is no such thing in game, and I challenge you to find any screenshot showing these stuff. I would know, I was in the beta.

I've seen a lot of misinformation in these boards (this thread is a perfect example: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/572/view/forums/thread/342791/page/1 ), please be carefull and ask for a source whenever  someone that wasn't in beta comes up with so-called  "new features".

Originally posted by Amate

What's going on in this thread. I see people mentioning sunglasses, and mustache glasses, WTF? There is no such thing in game, and I challenge you to find any screenshot showing these stuff. I would know, I was in the beta.
    I've seen a lot of misinformation in these boards (this thread is a perfect example: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/572/view/forums/thread/342791/page/1 ), please be carefull and ask for a source whenever  someone that wasn't in beta comes up with so-called  "new features".

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2011-06-04/jake_song_archeage_to_be_a_replay_of_real_life,1.shtml

Third picture down looks like sunglasses

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

OP didn't complain about just the sunglasses, although I do seem to recollect seeing somewhere moustache glasses.

I don't really defend his position, but there's plenty of things that may "put off" people like him in this game. For example, the cowboy hat Steparu wore the whole time he was in beta.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Context, it's about stuff which interfere with some peoples wishful thinking about Archeage being a pure Medieval Fantasy "sandpark" where every modern day illustration breaks immersion.
    If you know  Korea, it's just silly and pointless to defend Archeage in this. People better realize what Archeage will not offer them, if they can't see past such things.
  • AmateAmate Member Posts: 88

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2011-06-04/jake_song_archeage_to_be_a_replay_of_real_life,1.shtml

Third picture down looks like sunglasses

-From MMOsite (aka hardly reliable source)

-Very small screenshot, which makes it unsure what they are (might be a graphical glitch, you can see in the background the city is lacking textures)

-From an article from a year ago, with a character wearing outdated gear which skin isn't in-game anymore

So I wouldn't trust it. I've played both CBT3 and CBT4, and I haven't seen any sunglasses or mustach glasses. Nor could you craft any. Only "out of place" clothing I came across was the beach shorts they gave during the event in the last day of CBT4.

Originally posted by wizyy

OP didn't complain about just the sunglasses, although I do seem to recollect seeing somewhere moustache glasses.

I don't really defend his position, but there's plenty of things that may "put off" people like him in this game. For example, the cowboy hat Steparu wore the whole time he was in beta.

Yea my post wasn't meant to OP in particular, just saw some ppl mention glasses and stuff as if that was actually in-game, which is misinformation.

With that said I disagree with the OP (although I understand him, this matter is purely based on point of view). The machines in ArcheAge fit the overall technology you see in the game world in terms of look, and the fact the lore states they are powered by akium makes it coherent, as you need akium to craft them. Like I said in a previous post, akium is the "petroleum" of the game world. There is no steam or electricity powered machines.

Let's look at a game like Skyrim, and the dwemer race which has all sort of machinery, actual robots, and what not. Did it break immersion?  Didn't for me, as it fitted the whole "ancient race with advanced technology". In AA, machines look very rustic and not modern at all. If they looked sleek and in something else than wood/clothes/etc, then yes it would be very out of place.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Not really seeing the problem with the theme but that was never a dealbreaker when it comes to MMOs, the only thing I really care about if its going to have more non-combat features, a great crafting system, and tons of features we seen in older MMOs brought into modern times and improved upon, so far this game is doing that as a hybrid so its a win win for me and a MMORPG I truely want to play once its released in the NA.

I only hope that this game really does well , and people I hope like this game as well, you got building, crafting , combat, sailing on the high seas, open world pvp. One thing I would like to see though is a PVP and a PVE server or do PVP like EVE does it sort of have you Empire Terrorities and then your open FFA PVP terrorities , we really don't need to see another potential great MMO be brought down by people who make it their business to ruin other peoples fun.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Not trying to necro a thread, but I already made one so I figured this would be a good place to go.

Once again, I am still going to buy this game..its the closest thing to a good sandbox that I've seen coming out... BUT I still question some of the items in the game and the general timeline..

It still just seems out of place to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OluoZE0FQZs&feature=related

If you check out this vid, at 0:35 they are wearing bikinies...and board shorts.. totaly doesn't fit.

I dunno made it feel like I was watching a Sims trailer...

I just wish asian games wern't so.....goofy?

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos