Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game did you play 2000-2005?

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Lots of games out then. Lots of variety, too :) Were you multi-gamers paying multiple sub fees each month?

I just played EQ until 2004 then switched over to City of Heroes.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Billybob2006Billybob2006 Member Posts: 47

Earth and Beyond; SWG; Planetside

And since you have 2005 as the end date, WoW upon release.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Mostly EQ1, Daoc,and PS..with a sprinkle of AO,AC,and like 2 weeks of Shadowbane.
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    FFXI almost exclusively. Tried some other games but stayed with one over a month or two.
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

Age of Empires II -Warcraft III online strategy

Lineage ][ most part

MU online the 1st MMO for me(it was free, i couldnt afford subs...)

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

Other

Raganrok Online Baby Original Silver Shadows guild, Loki all the way at one time we owned all 25 castles in WoE. 

Payon-5, Prontera-5, Geffen-5, Al De Baron-5, and Morroc-5. It was right after the patch for 2-2 for The lord knight, Whitesmith, ect.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Runescape, Lineage 2 and various smaller ones. I wasn't really into them since frankly they weren't all that good, I thought.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    without Anarchy Online,  Asheron's Call and Star Wars:Galaxies as options this poll is useless as evidenced by the +40% other option.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • jdkskipjdkskip Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by FealStyrm
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

swg, anarchy online, subspace, everquest, asheron's call 2, earth and beyond, world of warcraft, ultima online, the realm online, eve online, final fantasy xi..

and a few more including some online asian games of which i can't remember the names.

2000-2005 only.

I should have voted for EVE, I picked the game out of my collection that I thought nobody would vote for ><.

I bought shadowbane at walmart, started playing that and then it was like someone flipped the switch. Then I bounced around to EVE, DAOC several times. I tried getting into EQ  and EQ2 but I just couldn't deal the the PVE centric gameplay.

Out of all the games I have played, even after 2005, none can compare with shadowbane. Even with the terrible graphics I've had more fun in that game than any other.

Ahh Shadowbane... my mmorpg cherry breaker. Totally agree with you FealStym, no other game has come close to the fun I had in that game either.

• sedriksedrik Member UncommonPosts: 9

2000-2005 :

Asheron call

Asheron call 2

Daoc

for tha i remember :)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
        EQ was my main game then tried AO once it offered the f2p option.....Both were good, fun games.
  • V1kN1kV1kN1k Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Diablo2

DMC

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565
    EQ and Diablo2...
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Mostly Quake/Unreal and limited EQ.Then i started playing FFXi and then also some EQ2 and limited Wow.I played a lot of Runes of Magic as well.The list of games i have played is actually giant,i also played quite a bit of Silkroad.That si what happens when you have poor sleep habits,you sit up at 1am gaming lol.

Quake/Unreal offered me the fps action i like.

FFXI offered the great class structure and combat in a rpg i liked.

Runes of magic offered the wow clone but free of charge and added a couple ideas never seen in Wow.

Outside of those games,there is nothing i have not seen or done in gaming,everything i see delivered now is extremely shallow game design.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Mostly DAoC (my vote), and around 1 year and half on FFXI (great MMORPG).
  • lioneluklioneluk Member Posts: 4

Biosfear,

Not found a time sink since.  hopefully ill find another game to pull me in one day.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    If your gonna include a Poll question and one that includes the spiritual progenitors of the MMO genre you best be including the game Asheron's Call.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ChaulsinNLChaulsinNL Member UncommonPosts: 182
    My first mmo in feb 2002 (Asheron's call 2) on the Dawnsong server! First mmo's are always the best :D
  • ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Neverwinter Nights was my most played game for that time.
  • SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195
    All of the above and more

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Coman
    Started playing Face of Mankind late 2005 I believe and before that not sure. Was CoH out then? Might actually go back playing that, still worth playing? Also played PS1. Oh and I did play WWIIOnline, just not 100% sure I actually fully got into it pre-2005.

coh 2004. over 8 years old now!

Too bad you can only choose 1 and that it's limited to 10.

I jumped around from game to game.  A little UO and EQ and DAOC and beta testing.  I loved coh when it first hit.  Went to EQ2 for 2 months then to wow. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

ALLOT of single/multiplayer games, some UO, a little EQ, but the longest stay in a MMORPG would have been SWG, yes the NGE ruined my game experiance, though have been back for about 7/8months in 2007 and had allot of fun once again as it was nothing like when the NGE first arived but already felt allot more like pre-cu, still a damn shame they didn't put item decay in, but as a crafter I was pleasantly suprised at how much more items where added and how good ingame business became again. In fact in 2007 I became so busy that I had to stop completely due to the already limited gametime I had back then, so many custom orders, so many new things to craft, while I also loved my Bio-engineer and Ranger and mastered every profession except Jedi back at pre-cu, I also started to love the new beast master. Overall the game was no where near what it was when the NGE hit, as with all my crafting skills, multible accounts the only thing worth at the time of the CU and NGE was making Bounterhunter droids. Now my old friendslist didn't light up obviously, though a few oldies I had met again together with new people that became sort of ingame friends.

Arrrgggg I'll stop now... image just to many great memories about a game genre that gave it's playerbase so much freedom, so much content, so many different things to do besides combat and for it's time it did look great, obviously today or atleast last year the game looked fairy dated but still eventhough certain grapics in SWtOR outshine SWG's graphics, the worlds in SWG felt much more immersive and real......arrgggg can't help it

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Everquest 2 released 11.2004 and yet it is in "what you played in 2000-2005", when such huge titles in those times like Lineage II and SWG are not?

Come on...

----------------------------

Anyway:

mmorpg wise = Ultima Online most

-----------

other games:

Baldur's Gate I & 2 - especially two.

Fallout 2 (it came to my country late 1999)

Civilization III

Heroes of Might and Magic III

Age of Empires II

Medieval I

Europa universalis II

Unreal Tournament

While beggining of 00's still spawned some great epic games, around 2003-2005 was the time when games started to be more and more streamlined, hand-holding, simplidied and generally started to go to trash. 

Of course this was step-by-step evolutionary process, but clearly one that lead to so many titles nowadays that lack focus, try to catch mutliple birds with one stone and failing and generally a process that resulted in games that lack longlivelity, complexity, depth and challange.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Neverwinter nights.