Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Salem: Beta Key Handout!

Comments

• hardsun79hardsun79 Member UncommonPosts: 66

Well it took me 3 tryes to understand how deep and good Heaven and Hearth and start actually playing.

At start i was like "wtf ... i can walk and pick branch from tree and thats all and cartoonish graphics... stupid game" lol. And only on third try ive noticed people around me do much complex things and play in way i dont understand which forced me to read some guides and let me understand what should i do. And i saw same happens with my friends trying to play Dwarf Fortress, Shores of Hazeron, Wurm and even pretty simple Eve-online and SWG - they often could not understand what they should do at all in game ...

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Wow.  That was... well, that was definitely something.  Considering this is an indie studio, I'll spare them a general rant, but that was simply awful.  Is this what Sandboxers really want?
  • hardsun79hardsun79 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Kenze
    if your gonna make such an "drop you in and leave you, type sandbox game at least they could do is make the interface as helpful and inuititive as possible... i couldnt even walk  in a straight line in this game and the camera was horrible and pc collision is fine but another player shouldnt be able to lock me down just by standing next to me!

Well its Closed Beta and i do agree that for new player its really hard to get into game without metagaming and reading help tooltips...

• FailtrainFailtrain Member Posts: 129
    Terrible first impression. Good idea, very poorly executed. Don't stress if you missed out on a key.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by Strayfe
    Wow.  That was... well, that was definitely something.  Considering this is an indie studio, I'll spare them a general rant, but that was simply awful.  Is this what Sandboxers really want?

No

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

well iv set javaws to allowed apps in my firewall and av program, iv tried the ender client (same guy i use for hnh) as well as one of the other clients to download the game. all three (2 modded 1 offical salem files) get 5-15% downloaded then stop. 

all in all given how long its been running alpha/beta wise i am not impressed at all. i guess i should wait until world 6 like i did hnh before trying it. so i can actually get a version that works as intented.

while im used to pre-alpha games and testing out beta's i would actually like to try and run the program... i honestly do not get why this game is having such issues with java. 

my x64 java works just fine for hnh, minecraft and a few other java games, iv tinkred with. only salem has ever given me these issues with the java i have.

overall view of salam... bleak.  i was kinda fenced on the locolized spawning area given the hnh pk farming. but now im more iffy on it  given it doesnt even download/install :/

• OptimalistOptimalist Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I'm on XP.  Tried Java 6.33. shut down firewall and av. still crashes. :(
  • fleblikfleblik Member Posts: 41

I can understand a lot of people do not like this game. It basically drops you off in town and provides no hint what so ever what you should do. There are beginner guides on the forum, do not whine that you can not figure out what to do. The whole idea is no hand holding, if someone decidedes to murder you five mins out of town, tough, reroll and get revenge. 

Personally I love the game. When you get out of the startblock and start building a town with a few people the game is awesome. It is by no way polished, crap combat system and bugs here and there. But few games kept me entertained like this one, possibly for the fact that you can die at any time, and then it really is game over. 

My life is a game!

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Failtrain
    Terrible first impression. Good idea, very poorly executed. Don't stress if you missed out on a key.

It really isn't, it's a great sandbox that needs further development to really shine.

Thanks for taking a key though without even doing any research on the game first, while people who are legitimately interested and have been patiently waiting for over a year are left in the lurch because of selfish individuals like yourself.

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306
    Originally posted by Kost

It really isn't, it's a great sandbox that needs further development to really shine.

Thanks for taking a key though without even doing any research on the game first, while people who are legitimately interested and have been patiently waiting for over a year are left in the lurch because of selfish individuals like yourself.

How is he being selfish? He was interested in trying the game, and an offer was on therefore got a key. It has nothing to do with being selfish - infact if anyone is being selfish it would be you believing that people who have been awaiting this game should get first dibs over anyone else.

Also he gave his opinion on a game that he had a chance to try out - and his opinion seems to be mirrored in many other posts in this thread alone.

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Silverbarr
    Originally posted by Kost

How is he being selfish? He was interested in trying the game, and an offer was on therefore got a key. It has nothing to do with being selfish - infact if anyone is being selfish it would be you believing that people who have been awaiting this game should get first dibs over anyone else.

Also he gave his opinion on a game that he had a chance to try out - and his opinion seems to be mirrored in many other posts in this thread alone.

M

Because closed beta tests are not free trials?

Seriously guy, utilize some common sense. Would you rather have someone actually testing the game to help improve it, or just some random who snatches up beta keys at every opportunity, plays for five minutes, and then uninstalls and never looks back.

His opinion seems to be mirrored? What part of themepark gamers not enjoying sandbox games is hard for you to grasp?

Use your head, activities like this are what are ruining this genre. If some of you actually took the time to focus on making the game better, we might have less of these "poorly designed" mmorpgs that you all like to complain so much about.

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

why do I always miss these things...

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    UI is horrible. The movement is clunky and unresponsive. The combat is really bad, youde expect much more from an open pvp game with permadeath. I don't care about the graphics or artstyle, I care about gameplay which I am finding to be way behind the times but I will still put in some time.. waiting on other game releases anyway... maybe it will grow on me.
  • SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

Damn miss it ;/

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i think its always so damn hilarious when you get like 1 or two people in total denial that the game sucks and its everybody else here that is wrong and stupid. Seriously get a clue if 95% of the population here say it sucks the damn thing sucks , stop being rabid fans and learn to take criticism of the games you play. This game is a POS just like H&H was . The crafting is terrible , the UI is terrible, the graphics are beyond terrible , and there is nothing at all fun about going searching a damn forest for 2 leaves to craft some stupid mask just so you can skill up 1 pt. I understand you might relish hard games but there is a difference between hard and challanging and just plain stupid mechanics that make absolutely no sense at all. Why the heck with 50 zillion leaves on the ground do i have to wander miles away from town to find a leaf? Seriously if you are going to defend a game at least go defend like Xyson or something because at least they actually are passionate about making a quality crafting game. Also permadeath in a game that makes you spend a week trying to get one skill rank? yeah i bet you will easily have your pick of land anywhere you want as no ones seriously going to waste their time with this when their are far better sandbox games out already or releasing.
  • arcwestarcwest Member Posts: 61
    damnit! missed out... oddly enough i'm really excited about this game. probably about the same excitment level as GW2
    Originally posted by Fly666monkey
    Anyone else find this game to be boring as sin?

Sin is not boring, here let me correct your statement

"Anyone else find this game to be as boring as being morally righteous?"

Originally posted by arcwest
    Originally posted by Fly666monkey
    Anyone else find this game to be boring as sin?

Sin is not boring, here let me correct your statement

"Anyone else find this game to be as boring as being morally righteous?"

there i fixed it...

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    damnit! missed out... oddly enough i'm really excited about this game. probably about the same excitment level as GW2

I'm sure someone will give you theirs, (I already gave mine away.) It's a great concept for a game, but packaged inside one of the worst engines/coding/and graphic style one can humanly imagine.

A fair warning, lower your expectations now, greatly. No thats still not enough, imagine the game smeared with feces and trying to murder you with boredom. There you go, now your almost ready to try it with the right mindset.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I hope the developers don't read these threads/comments. The human side of me doesn't want to see their souls crushed. 
    Originally posted by Kazuhiro

I'm sure someone will give you theirs, (I already gave mine away.) It's a great concept for a game, but packaged inside one of the worst engines/coding/and graphic style one can humanly imagine.

A fair warning, lower your expectations now, greatly. No thats still not enough, imagine the game smeared with feces and trying to murder you with boredom. There you go, now your almost ready to try it with the right mindset.

Yeah that seems to be the consensus...

i guess i'll just wait until they polish it up or totally revamp the game...

i'll just have to go back to my sinful acts to entertain me until GW2 drops...

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Psychow
    I hope the developers don't read these threads/comments. The human side of me doesn't want to see their souls crushed. 

seriously if the devs cannot play their own game and see it sucks then sorry they shouldnt be devs :P

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Kaez
    It's definitely slow in the beginning but once you start to get the skills, things open up and it gets a lot better. The main thing to keep in mind is that the further away from town you are, the better. You'll find stuff everywhere eventually. All I can say is give it some time and you might change your mind.

Was going to hop back in shortly, and I'm hoping maybe you can help me out. How do I gain skills, make money or advance in the game? Is there a tutorial on the web? The ingame one has me blocked at a task to spend 30 silver that I dont have.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Kaez
    It's definitely slow in the beginning but once you start to get the skills, things open up and it gets a lot better. The main thing to keep in mind is that the further away from town you are, the better. You'll find stuff everywhere eventually. All I can say is give it some time and you might change your mind.

Was going to hop back in shortly, and I'm hoping maybe you can help me out. How do I gain skills, make money or advance in the game? Is there a tutorial on the web? The ingame one has me blocked at a task to spend 30 silver that I dont have.

Is your task, "Leave Boston"? Just walk north out of town. That's it.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Preacher26
    UI is horrible. The movement is clunky and unresponsive. The combat is really bad, youde expect much more from an open pvp game with permadeath. I don't care about the graphics or artstyle, I care about gameplay which I am finding to be way behind the times but I will still put in some time.. waiting on other game releases anyway... maybe it will grow on me.

Why is the combat bad? The UI is indeed inferior to the two community custom clients: BDsalem and Ender.