Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The #1 turnoff (that cant be ignored) with Rift for me and my friends

tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233

Lots of news about Rift lately. From new fun stuff coming, to long awaited new pvp philosophy, even very nice looking player housing.

However, the reason everyone i know quit and when my friends and i discuss this game today we all have a common feeling of why this game just doesnt "hook" us?

Macros.

Hundreds of unique abilities that could very well make for a fun and diversified experience in PvP and PvE so hardcore players could actually show skill above others and its all just tarnished because of how you can literally combine so many skills into one key in this game. Its just... kinda pathetic.

Wish they would change that before anything else. (just my humble opinion)

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I was going to come in and read your post and then say "macros." But you already got the number one reason I will never play that game again. The freaking Cleric tank macros... it is ridiculous.
  • xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275
    This bothers me as well. It has perfect skill queue already. Why would I want to macro 15 skills in one macro. This is probably the biggest mistake they have made. It really doesn't fit in with the other seemly carefully laid out ideas for the game they have done. Very odd to me to say the least. 
  • tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233

It absolutely kills the whole experience for me. And to know that the large majority of the player base is perfectly content with condensing *all* of those skills into 3-6 keys and specializations run around more or less with the exact same rotations just completely sours the game for me.

I made a post on the official forums and was literally attacked off the forums. Either you are the type of player that will accept this kind of nonsense, or you simply are not. So i quit the game.

Macros are the #1 reason this game hasnt rivaled big poppa, imo. And now, they plan to normalize PvP gear and player housing? Please ffs someone tell me they are changing macros or at least putting a severe limit on how many skills can be used per macro. It is completely... lame.

• ArkanikArkanik Member Posts: 30

Even with a macro there is still a global cooldown having 5 skills on a bar and pressing them in order is in no way faster  then pressing the one macro with the same 5 skills the global cool down still has to refresh macro or not to fire off the next spell.

especially with full button que option on..

And you cant macro instant cast spells in front of any spells with cooldowns making only certain macros available.

So dont even go there. Good try though ..

Might as well say get rid of healing addons because they dont have to use player skill to F1-F5 to heal or click player names and only have to click on the add on name to cast?? cmon really?

Every game has macros or add ons get used to it.

Binding skills to q,e,f,z,x 1234 are what ?    Macros!

Same Chit..

Move on..

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Hate macros as well and this game havingso much of it and so big support for it is a big turn off.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

To be honest, I had no idea people got so upset over macros.  I can understand it on some level but I never realized it would 'break' a game for anyone.

Something new every day I guess.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

As Mr Spock would say , the need of the many outweighs the need of the few.

So the macros bother you? Cool story. 

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610
    Simple answer, don't use them......

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

LOL!

My friends would joke around about Rifts macro system all the time.

Saying most classes could be simplified so much with macroing that you could play most classes with an Atari joystick. 

They went overboard with it. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Professor78

You would be at a massive disadvantage if you didn't use them.

Good luck keeping up that dps like Macro users do, good luck competing in pvp without macro spam...

I guess if you do nothing but play solo all day you could go without but Rift is a MMO and if you play with or against people its a competitive experience.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by tristanryan

Lots of news about Rift lately. From new fun stuff coming, to long awaited new pvp philosophy, even very nice looking player housing.

However, the reason everyone i know quit and when my friends and i discuss this game today we all have a common feeling of why this game just doesnt "hook" us?

Macros.

Hundreds of unique abilities that could very well make for a fun and diversified experience in PvP and PvE so hardcore players could actually show skill above others and its all just tarnished because of how you can literally combine so many skills into one key in this game. Its just... kinda pathetic.

Let Macro users use them. They just spam and can't counter shit.

Also to be honest I have maybe 4 things on a macro if that and I have no issues taking down spammy spam spammers mashing a macro key because they just burn everything off in totally stupid orders.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Originally posted by tristanryan

Macros.

I'm sorry but this is a total load of crap and you know it.  If macros were such a turn off all you had to do is ignore them and not use them.  Plenty of guys in my guild make the same claim and specifically play without macros so they can feel all l33t.

Trying to say the existence of macros is the reason for you not liking the game is like telling your girlfriend that the mole on the inside of her thigh is the reason you are no longer attracted to her.  Its a copout excuse.

I 100% guarantee you if Trion made a patch tommorow morning saying all macros have been disables, you wouldn't log on and play it for more than 2 or 3 days at best.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Ok lets put it this way you have 4 skills on buttons 1234  i have them same 4 skills on one button (a macro wich 1234 is also )

If im spamming my one button macro and your hitting 1234 these spells will fire off at the same speed, advantage? not likely

less buttons same effect? Yes. Only advantage i see is i have less clutter .

Using a macro that does not change the game mechanics is in no way advantage , all them spells are still on global cooldown.

Just depends on if you like 15 macros or 3..

Dont tell me you dont use macros unless your a clicker. Like i said before if your using a skill to a keyboard press your using a macro just more of them .Trion has just made it more convenient istead of having 15 keys bound thats it.

crazy people.

I hope your not a healer using healbot or click box healer , if any of you are using an add on for this your in way more of an advantage of any other healer whos not .

So im gonna quit rift because i heal and i know other healers are using click box healer. ?

Come on sorry ass excuses . I dont use any addon for healing but i do macro a few spells together to fire off instant cast heals.

Guess im at an advantage because i dont click them same 3 spells for the same effect.

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Originally posted by Z3R01
    Originally posted by Professor78

You would be at a massive disadvantage if you didn't use them.

Good luck keeping up that dps like Macro users do, good luck competing in pvp without macro spam...

I guess if you do nothing but play solo all day you could go without but Rift is a MMO and if you play with or against people its a competitive experience.

Due to macro lag, good players, be it in pve or pvp, don't put all their abilities in a few macros but instead use a ton of hotkeys.

Good luck keeping up with competitive players if you macro spam.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    I'm sorry, but the majority of the players macro everything.  It was a reason I quit last year.  Whats the point of doing anything if everything is facerolled into two or three buttons.  Sure a few classes you had to do 6-8 macros to get everything lined up right, but macros was by far the easiest and most efficient way to slaughter anything be it pve or pvp. 
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Have always disliked macros and wish they were not in any MMO.

LOL so if you are my healer and use click box healer im going to quit because you heal better then the guy who doesnt use click box healer.

Hey ranger over there me and you are doing the same dps because you got three skills on one button on the hotbar as a macro.

Thats not fair because i have to hit the same three skills using three hotbar buttons for the same effect i quit! 

Even though ranger 1 still had to wait for the cooldown between shots using the macro, same as the non macro ranger. Who fired them off at the exact same speed. DERP!

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by Arkanik

Even with a macro there is still a global cooldown having 5 skills on a bar and pressing them in order is in no way faster  then pressing the one macro with the same 5 skills the global cool down still has to refresh macro or not to fire off the next spell.

And you cant macro instant cast spells in front of any spells with cooldowns making only certain macros available.

Might as well say get rid of healing addons because they dont have to use player skill to F1-F5 to heal or click player names and only have to click on the add on name to cast?? cmon really?

Same Chit..

Move on..

Not ever MMO has macros or add-ons.

• IzikIzik Member Posts: 111

Same Chit..

Move on..

You seriously think there's no difference between spamming 1 hotkey, vrs having to press multiple keys in the heat of combat, and hitting the conditional/proc abilities at the right moment? Mmmhmm...

You will never see skillful play unless the player is forced to REACT to combat events, and not let the system do all the work.

Originally posted by Izik

Same Chit..

Move on..

You seriously think there's no difference between spamming 1 hotkey, vrs having to press multiple keys in the heat of combat, and hitting the conditional/proc abilities at the right moment? Mmmhmm...

You will never see skillful play unless the player is forced to REACT to combat events, and not let the system do all the work.

Actually no i dont heres why.

During the heat of combat and moving  80 percent of macros dont work you see. All skills that have a cooldown have to be put in front of any instant cast skills for a macro to work in rift.

So ya see your macros dont work during movement only the few instant cast spells at the very bottom of your macro wich in most cases arent worth a damn and thats why there at the bottom in the first place only to help during movement .

So if your standing still obviously you have time to hit 12345 or whatever hotkeys (MACROS) you have assigned even without macros Clicking on spells can be done while using wasd to move ..

I can easily press q or e with the same instant cast skills assigned to them just as quick , and when im standing still 12345 ect.

Interupts and the like type spells wont be in your macro eaither due to ussualy long cool downs your not gonna pop it everytime its up , your going to know if its needed in a fight and know when to use it (normally).

you can get them off just as quick eaither way, GLOBAL COOLDOWN makes it so you have to wait to cast your next spell meaning if you cant move a finger from w over to e or q or 12345 or whatever you use in 1 second or what not  we got some serious issues here. 

Besides if macros make you guys quit a game then its best time to move on . Every game has macros dont know what to tell you!

Im done with this post i bet everyone of you complaining uses add ons or keybinds . Go figure ..If not more to ya then.If you dont like em dont use them if you wanna be that skilled player then REACT to the events like you say you want it .

Like others have said YOUR the one acting like macros are mandatory and have to be used. Dont friggin use em common sense.

Thats my take on it and my opinion i can understand your point when it comes to certain things though because i hate cash shops even know it an option  So i know where you stand . This is just my take on rift macros..

/nuff said im out..

Same Chit..

Move on..

During the heat of combat and moving  80 percent of macros dont work you see. All skills that have a cooldown have to be put in front of any instant cast skills for a macro to work in rift.

So ya see your macros dont work during movement only the few instant cast spells at the very bottom of your macro wich in most cases arent worth a damn and thats why there at the bottom in the first place only to help during movement . So if your standing still obviously you have time to hit 12345 or whatever hotkeys (MACROS) you have assigned even without macros Clicking on spells can be done while using wasd to move ..

I can easily press q or e with the same instant cast skills assigned to them just as quick , and when im standing still 12345 ect.

Interupts and the like type spells wont be in your macro eaither due to ussualy long cool downs your not gonna pop it everytime its up , your going to know if its needed in a fight and know when to use it (normally).

you can get them off just as quick eaither way, GLOBAL COOLDOWN makes it so you have to wait to cast your next spell meaning if you cant move a finger from w over to e or q or 12345 or whatever you use in 1.5 secs some serious issues here. 

Besides if macros make you guys quit a game then its best time to move on . Every game has macros dont know what to tell you!

Im done with this post i bet everyone of you complaining uses add ons or keybinds . Go figure ..If not more to ya then.If you dont like em dont use them if you wanna be that skilled player then REACT to the events like you say you want it . Like others have said YOUR the one acting like macros are mandatory and have to be used. Dont friggin use em common sense.

/nuff said im out..

Huh?

When I played my tank warrior, I would run around spamming 1 hotkey while I circle strafed, panned the camera around, looked at health bars and ate a sandwich. If I had to actually use my abilities while they came off cd, and hit my proc abilities (on block etc) during the window they were available, it would have been much much harder. Thus, more skillful. 

Rift's macro system is a complete crutch - don't try to sugarcoat it.

Same Chit..

Move on..

So ya see your macros dont work during movement only the few instant cast spells at the very bottom of your macro wich in most cases arent worth a damn and thats why there at the bottom in the first place only to help during movement . So if your standing still obviously you have time to hit 12345 or whatever hotkeys (MACROS) you have assigned even without macros Clicking on spells can be done while using wasd to move ..

you can get them off just as quick eaither way, GLOBAL COOLDOWN makes it so you have to wait to cast your next spell meaning if you cant move a finger from w over to e or q or 12345 or whatever you use in 1.5 secs some serious issues here. 

Im done with this post i bet everyone of you complaining uses add ons or keybinds . Go figure ..If not more to ya then.If you dont like em dont use them if you wanna be that skilled player then REACT to the events like you say you want it . Like others have said YOUR the one acting like macros are mandatory and have to be used. Dont friggin use em common sense.

/nuff said im out..

Huh?

When I played my tank warrior, I would run around spamming 1 hotkey while I circle strafed, panned the camera around, looked at health bars and ate a sandwich. If I had to actually use my abilities while they came off cd, and hit my proc abilities (on block etc) during the window they were available, it would have been much much harder. Thus, more skillful. 

Rift's macro system is a complete crutch - don't try to sugarcoat it.

I wont sugar coat it if you dont flame it when you just admited YOU used it but now you hate it?

Doesnt make sense friend You hate what you used and did? Now its the games fault?

You stated yourself i wish it made you react , really? because if you wanted it to react why did YOU use macros? were you always hungry?  or did you feel that you couldnt tank without them?

Just being honest here. Did you go online and look up a guide for your tank spec copy and paste the macros into the game so you could have an easy way out of doing all the things your defending? Sounds like it and now your bored with rift or playing a new game and come over to rift forums to flame a topic that you did yourself.. I dont get it..

Eaither way i hope the best to all of you and hope you found a game you enjoy.

Back to rift for me. Good luck.

I wont sugar coat it if you dont flame it when you just admited YOU used it but now you hate it?

Doesnt make sense friend You hate what you used and did? Now its the games fault?

You stated yourself i wish it made you react , really? because if you wanted it to react why did YOU use macros? were you always hungry?  or did you feel that you couldnt tank without them?

Just being honest here. Did you go online and look up a guide for your tank spec copy and paste the macros into the game so you could have an easy way out of doing all the things your defending? Sounds like it and now your bored with rift or playing a new game and come over to rift forums to flame a topic that you did yourself.. I dont get it..

Eaither way i hope the best to all of you and hope you found a game you enjoy.

Back to rift for me. Good luck.

Time for a lesson in game theory:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_dominance

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I'd have to agree. Being able to macro 15 of my skills into 4 buttons was a little weaksauce. Games shouldn't allow macroing, but instead, design a combat system that doesn't require it.

Just saying "don't use it," really doesn't make a lot of sense. If the tools are there, and you aren't using it to your advantage and others are, then you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Joined - July 2004

• JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    I find broccoloi repulsive.  But because some people eat broccoli, and it's possible for me to eat broccoli, I must eat it every meal.