Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are "Major" Dragon Fight Events so *Static*???

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Jagarid
    Fortunately, we are down to LESS than one week before headstart.   Which means soon we will be able to just play the game and enjoy ourselves and let them stew in their hate by themselves.

very true:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I agree with the OP on those dragon fights. They would be more epic if they moved around even though other mechanics are involved.

However, we already know about other events that scale up to raid level and those are in low level areas. There is so much of the game we haven't seen yet and I assume Orr will be epic in proportion.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    they are mid-high level raids not top level stuff also show me a MMO with more interactive dragon fights

Everquest?

Big ass Dragons that you had to worry about hate, aggro, etc. They moved, and reacted based on different events. Even EQII being the horrible game that it was had better Dragon events.

DAOC had half decent Dragon events too that worried about how many people were hitting it, how many DPS were hitting it, and how many healers were active rather than hate management. The events would also change based on # of players to make it drastically harder if you brought 100 instead fo 50.

Also, BABY dragons O_o;? Those things are huge, you're joking right X_x? What are the higher end-game dragon fights? You running on their backs smacking giant mountains that are their joints x_X?

Also, "top Level" or not those dragons are extremely dumb and static fights. Just saying :(.

If you read the novel Edge Of Destiny they describe the elder dragons. Kralkatorrik, which we probably won't see in the game(I believe it will be in an expansion, they will probably do one Elder Dragon per expansion) was big enough to block out the sun. One of the Champion dragons they mention in the novel is a fraction of the size that Kralkatorrik is. These guys in the videos are also Champions, so yes, there could be even more huge dragons. That they actually do that is yet to be seen though.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Reminds me of that giant underwater crab boss in the Sylvari starting area..

thing was just stuck in the ocean wall flailing its arms around a little bit..

was kinda deflating the excitement.

You'll be happy to know Tank that during Sundays stress test that boss came up on land where it was supposed to be and it was a lot better :)
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Aelious
    You'll be happy to know Tank that during Sundays stress test that boss came up on land where it was supposed to be and it was a lot better :)

Oh so it was a bug,thank god for that...

I agree with the OP on those dragon fights. They would be more epic if they moved around even though other mechanics are involved.

However, we already know about other events that scale up to raid level and those are in low level areas. There is so much of the game we haven't seen yet and I assume Orr will be epic in proportion.

like someone said earlier once they get to a certain size there are pretty big limitations on how much they could actually let it move around.. first you have the space issue then you have tons of people all around trying to kill. Larger bosses in MMOs rarley have that much movement..  Well see how the true elder dragons battle go i'm very interested to see, and not to mention the finished product of these two fights since no one knows what that will be like yet.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by tank017

Oh so it was a bug,thank god for that...

lol yea I remember that I thought something was up it didn't look right.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

youtube all those epic dragon battles you remember.. they aren't as epic and dynamic as you probably remember them.

Eireen from EQ2 moves around a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2oHaEfxJKU&feature=related

like someone said earlier once they get to a certain size there are pretty big limitations on how much they could actually let it move around.. first you have the space issue then you have tons of people all around trying to kill. Larger bosses in MMOs rarley have that much movement..  Well see how the true elder dragons battle go i'm very interested to see, and not to mention the finished product of these two fights since no one knows what that will be like yet.

Oh how I wish I could check tonight...

That's true about the size to a point and they could have changed it already.  I guess if the dragon moved too much people would never catch up for melee.  My only thought is that getting away from static encounters is a good thing.  That's why WoW encounters seem so stale to me.  Once you know the fight it's a matter of perfected repetition.  I like a little randomness and suprise.

C'mon next week! Hurry up!

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    OH for christ's sake, GW2 could shit gold bricks and you'd wonder why they weren't diamond encrusted.
    Originally posted by OldManFunk
    OH for christ's sake, GW2 could shit gold bricks and you'd wonder why they weren't diamond encrusted.

lol:)

Well I mean they're already gold... what's a little diamond really...

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Exactly, they might as well go the extra mile. For shame ArenaNet. Lazy developers.

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

Oh come now why gold. I mean just go all out, and produce some diamond bricks, and stop messing with that flimsy gold pos that we are getting now.

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189

expectations met = more expectations

Wouldn't it be cool if a developer took control of a dragon and fought us during events? With all 10 skills? 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Because we're all tired of the dance around the AOE hotspots game that is the only way WoW and games like them can compete with a game of skill. Get out of the fire is just not fun anymore sorry. I for one want to use giant canons to help kill a dragon.
  • rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Because we're all tired of the dance around the AOE hotspots game that is the only way WoW and games like them can compete with a game of skill. Get out of the fire is just not fun anymore sorry. I for one want to use giant canons to help kill a dragon.

Which uses Asura as ammo if no munitions is available.

Make it happen ArenaNet.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by rpg123

I noticed this too, and it's not just the large dragons that do it. ALL of the large meta-event bosses are static. I hope that's not the case post-release :(

If this is the case then anticipate lots of criticism post launch, justifiably so.
  • jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

So back to OP's question , instead of this sidetracking.

That major dragon fights are static is actual something ArenaNet recived critic for and had done something about, just see the improvement from the first to the second.

That the dragonsdoesn't roam around , is a tradeoff when having Mellee and no threath mechanics. Epic scale monsters do make mellee look stupid when they take just a few steps, and Mellee have to run 30+ seconds just to catch up. While moving epic monsters is more immersive , they are just not as fun to fight. 

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by emota
    Originally posted by rpg123

I noticed this too, and it's not just the large dragons that do it. ALL of the large meta-event bosses are static.

I hope that's not the case post-release :(

If this is the case then anticipate lots of criticism post launch, justifiably so.

All of the large meta-event bosses appear to be static, its one of the first things I noticed. They appear this way in videos showing higher level bosses and the 3 low levels ones I've experienced in the game so far are the same, they sit in one spot and bounce up and down a bit and throw down some aoe circles on the ground and summon adds but do not move after they have spawned.  The same with the bosses at the end of the introduction quest for each race they also sit in one spot after spawning.

The group bosses from dynamic events are mobile though (and tougher).  For example, the bandit lieutenant in the human starting area, or the rotting oakheart champion shown in a video earlier in this thread. 

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    I always hated boss battled anyway as they are usually static. The point often is, is to find the right sequence. Dodge when you see him charging, attacked when stunned/recovering etc etc etc. I hope GW2 can do better then that, but not really importent to me. I have no expectation at all for GW2, so I will just enjoy it as is.
  • Grimrist000Grimrist000 Member Posts: 82

man, that should be a sig. image

• WoW_RefugeeWoW_Refugee Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb
    they are mid-high level raids not top level stuff also show me a MMO with more interactive dragon fights

Everquest?

Big ass Dragons that you had to worry about hate, aggro, etc. They moved, and reacted based on different events. Even EQII being the horrible game that it was had better Dragon events.

DAOC had half decent Dragon events too that worried about how many people were hitting it, how many DPS were hitting it, and how many healers were active rather than hate management. The events would also change based on # of players to make it drastically harder if you brought 100 instead fo 50.

Also, BABY dragons O_o;? Those things are huge, you're joking right X_x? What are the higher end-game dragon fights? You running on their backs smacking giant mountains that are their joints x_X?

Also, "top Level" or not those dragons are extremely dumb and static fights. Just saying :(.

got any video? I remember most being very static like wow, rift.. ect

not ot mention both those videos are very old the shatterer one is years old so no telling how the mechanics will be at launch

This is one of the more famous examples of what happens when you take on a dragon(s) in Everquest and don't do it right;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AcAxGE-8ag

The video quality is crap, but notice that the one dragon aggroes another, who then both proceed to chase and follow the entire raid force of dozens of people, destroying them all.

I'm sorry, but look; Guild Wars 2 may be the flavor of the moment, and it may have many, many, many good things going for it, but better or "more interactive" boss fights than Everquest most certainly, by no stretch of the imagination, are not one of those things.