Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Salem: Beta Key Handout!

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I reverted my Java version back to 6.34 from 7 and it downloaded like a charm. just fyi ;)

Joined - July 2004

• Oin32Oin32 Member Posts: 3

If any of you new settlers need a backpack ...see my shop here http://forum.salemgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=333

Also, I wil be streaming from time to time here:

http://www.twitch.tv/oin32

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Eyesgood
    Originally posted by cronius77
    man is all im saying , ill def be sticking to minecraft for sure for sandboxes. I coudl of swore they said they learned alot from heaven and hearth , by god i guess not.

If you haven't tried Wurm Online, you haven't played a sandbox.  Well, maybe you have, but you still should give Wurm a try.  It's a great sandbox game!

yeah i played wurm online and like it but never got far salem is seriously just frustrating , it plays identical to heaven and hearth 3d and that game was always lacking . I prefer minecraft over all sandboxes though because even though its not hugh servers with 1000s of people at once there is still multi and lan and you can have a blast . the most important thing though IT DOESNT take you an hour to find a damn leaf to craft one stupid mask! I love sandboxes dont get me wrong but salem like H&H suck period.

• Fly666monkeyFly666monkey Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Anyone else find this game to be boring as sin?
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I'm a pretty big Wurm Online fan. I've played it on and off for a couple of years now. My only real issue with Wurm is everything you do should take half as long as it does IMO. Salem feels horribly clunky and not anywhere close as immersive as Wurm...which is the most immersive MMO I've ever played. Meh...

Joined - July 2004

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

OMG that was horrible.

After that Ive decided I REALY DONT WANT A SANDBOX!

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• brokklybrokkly Member UncommonPosts: 2
    edited September 2017
    hmm.
    Post edited by brokkly on
  • CyrussphereCyrussphere Member Posts: 18
    Being a wurm fan I was hoping for so much more, hearing what they were doing and the trailer they produced. All we get is a nintendo quality game with grand ideas made by a collage student programmer out of their basement.
  • MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178

Darn it....just missed out on a key :(

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Oin32

If any of you new settlers need a backpack ...see my shop here http://forum.salemgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=333

How does one make money? The second things I was asked to do after leaving town is to have a guide take me somewhere but the guide costs 30s. Could not figure out what to do in the game to make money so I just filled up my bag with branches, wandered a bit and logged out.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Oin32

How does one make money? The second things I was asked to do after leaving town is to have a guide take me somewhere but the guide costs 30s. Could not figure out what to do in the game to make money so I just filled up my bag with branches, wandered a bit and logged out.

Yeah, I left town, was then instrusted to craft something. I was able to find 1 (branch or a stone) of the 2 or 3 required items...kept wandering...wandering ...couldn't find anything...and...loggged out...

yeah this has to be probably the worst sandbox game i think ive ever played myself . You had to check like 50 trees just to find a maple leaf then am told i have to eat something to refill my crazy named stats. I know im not the most patient one in the world but this game i think paint dries faster then you can craft something.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by cronius77
    yeah this has to be probably the worst sandbox game i think ive ever played myself . You had to check like 50 trees just to find a maple leaf then am told i have to eat something to refill my crazy named stats. I know im not the most patient one in the world but this game i think paint dries faster then you can craft something.

and the worst part is the leaves are actually falling off the trees...

and wear do you find that grass or flint?

chipping stones for like an hour =/ lol yeah i laughed so hard at that to leaves all over the ground and you cant even pick one up . I know this is an indie studio but this is exactly like heaven and hearth their first game that no one plays. I seriously think xyson is leagues better and done by basically two guys .
  • shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Dammit!  Zero keys left.  I should get a key just by reason that I live in Salem, MA, guys! :)
  • Got_Game_TVGot_Game_TV Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Is there really such a following that developers can release all these crap games and still get players for them?
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

so i snagged a key.. and cant even use it. as i use java 7 (minecraft kinda requires it abit)  so the game wont even "download" >">  no way in hell am i downgrading java or uninstalling AV or firewall programs just to test salem. 

thats just piss poor compatability right there.  as i recall i had a similar problem with their haven can only access it via modded client software >>" 

all in all not overly impressed at all. as the game wont download and the mod clients dont work with java 7.... 

Originally posted by Ichmen

so i snagged a key.. and cant even use it. as i use java 7 (minecraft kinda requires it abit)  so the game wont even "download" >">  no way in hell am i downgrading java or uninstalling AV or firewall programs just to test salem. 

thats just piss poor compatability right there.  as i recall i had a similar problem with their haven can only access it via modded client software >>" 

all in all not overly impressed at all. as the game wont download and the mod clients dont work with java 7.... 

jave 7 update 5 64 bit works fine for me for salem  i just logged in and tried it again to make sure.

• hardsun79hardsun79 Member UncommonPosts: 66

Im 99% sure its your anti-virus blocking game download...

Works perfect for me with Java 7 updt 6 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

And i really like  all those "experts" judging the game after playing for 1-2h.

Its a slow game about surviving, exploration, crafting and permadeath. You will be wandering for 1-3 days gathering and learning (by learning i mean ingame skills and you skill and world knowledge) before you will be able to settle and thats only the begining... At start you almost dont have items to craft and dont see most of the stuff witch spawns on the ground couse lack of skills and noobs taking everything they need and dont around Boston... just move away from Boston - the far the better and while wandering and learning try to find good place to settle.

Most people are too lazy to play such games :( Back to CoD guys :D

• Fly666monkeyFly666monkey Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Originally posted by Hardsun79

Its a slow game about surviving, exploration, crafting and permadeath. You will be wandering for 1-3 days gathering and learning (by learning i mean ingame skills and you skill and world knowledge) before you will be able to settle and thats only the begining... At start you almost dont have items to craft and dont see most of the stuff witch spawns on the ground couse lack of skills and noobs taking everything they need and dont around Boston... just move away from Boston - the far the better and while wandering and learning try to find good place to settle.

At least call of duty doesn't bore me to tears.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by Fly666monkey
    Originally posted by Hardsun79

At least call of duty doesn't bore me to tears.

As much as I love sandbox games - the ideas for this game were pretty awesome.. and poorly executed. Maybe one day it will be worth playing, but like this person said - not only was it incredibly boring, but it's like it took 10 steps back in gaming development. If this game had come out in 2004 - I wouldn't say anything.

Probably just not you game type. People who was enjoing Heaven and Hearth will like this and others still can give it a try and decide if they like it or not.
  • KaezKaez Member Posts: 80
    It's definitely slow in the beginning but once you start to get the skills, things open up and it gets a lot better. The main thing to keep in mind is that the further away from town you are, the better. You'll find stuff everywhere eventually. All I can say is give it some time and you might change your mind.
  • KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    if your gonna make such an "drop you in and leave you, type sandbox game at least they could do is make the interface as helpful and inuititive as possible... i couldnt even walk  in a straight line in this game and the camera was horrible and pc collision is fine but another player shouldnt be able to lock me down just by standing next to me!

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze