Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] DUST 514: CCP Wants to Change the Universe

Comments

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Demogorgon

Pc or not, it'll fail imo.

Why?

Because their player base is abysmal (lots and lots of multiple accounts in EVE).

You can't multi box an FPS, and not every EVE player likes FPS games on top of that anyways.

Add to that that most people aren't interested in EVE at all... fact.

I forget where the reference was, but the average amount of accounts per Eve player was 1.7. Most people I play with have one, I myself have one and never plan to get another one...The player base is not "abysmal", it's the largest of any current sandbox MMO and quite a few older themepark MMOs as well (don't bother mentioning WoW, that's a one-off fluke).

Multi-box an FPS? Why would you bother?

And just because people aren't interested in Eve doesn't mean they won't be interested in Dust.

Where's the any key?

Originally posted by DKKOberon

As long as it is PS3 only, DUST is doomed. It will fail, it will epic fail and CCP may not survive the hate.

Saying a statement like that without describing WHY just makes you sound like a mindless hater and no one will pay attention to you...

Where's the any key?

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by mCalvert

Why do you keep annoying us with this console news?

Agreed, it is no MMO either.

Should be posted on FPSGuru but here.

Not an MMO? Really? Let's see...

-long term character development through skills, equipment, etc

-multiple players online at the same time, an individual arena may be something like 20 vs 20 or whatever but there could be hundreds of those going at the same time by:

-Linking directly to, and affects, the largest sandbox MMO world currently in existence through  combat, territory control and economy

-Large scale politics and metagame a definite possibility (and from what I can tell, ALREADY HAPPENING)

So how exactly is this not an MMO? From what I know this kind of integration between a standard FPS and a "traditional" MMO has never been done before. It is brand spanking new, so you're going to have to loosen up your mindset a bit. With its link to Eve Online I really don't see how you can deny that it is also an MMO.

Where's the any key?

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Originally posted by Wicoa
    This site is a bastion of pc rpg mmo gaming what is this ps3 fps doing here, its not even cross platform? Put it on a console review site please.

Well it is hard to understand but i try to explain to you--EVE online is mmorpg game with huge, huge spaceships and dust will be conected with EVE online. So it is part of one mmorpg

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Very nice and brave. I hope only that DUST will be worthy partner to one of best and most popular sandbox mmo. I will buy ps3 only because of that game. It is new age of gaming and i hope soon we will have little box for everything because classic PC is getting old
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

-multiple players online at the same time, an individual arena may be something like 20 vs 20 or whatever but there could be hundreds of those going at the same time by:

-Linking directly to, and affects, the largest sandbox MMO world currently in existence through  combat, territory control and economy

-Large scale politics and metagame a definite possibility (and from what I can tell, ALREADY HAPPENING)

So how exactly is this not an MMO? From what I know this kind of integration between a standard FPS and a "traditional" MMO has never been done before. It is brand spanking new, so you're going to have to loosen up your mindset a bit. With its link to Eve Online I really don't see how you can deny that it is also an MMO.

I'm not going to get into the whole mmo debate because it seems rather fruitless since the game certainly has those elements. What I will say is their plan with this game is set up for failure. There are frankly way better known fps franchises already available for console players. So the majority isn't going to give a flying fuck about this game. They would have been much better served releasing this on pc. Where some know about Eve and would love to get into the fray yet may not like the current Eve gameplay synopsis. One of the worst design choices I have seen in some time frankly and not long after launch you're going to see why.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• mysticalspammysticalspam Member Posts: 64
    by the time they launch this game on ps3, the ps4 will be right around the corner and no one will play dust..

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I am glad they post this on MMORPG.com it is pretty interesting even though I dont play EVE or DUST.

And to the ppl who say console players and PC players hate each other:  that is just silly.  A vocal minority might have opinion on which is better but even few of them hate anyone.  At most, there is some mutual jealousy.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    All I can say is "fps yawn" we have a million fps games we do not need yet another one imo. Also I hope they make it more intersted than spreadsheet online aka EvE.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by afropuff420

"My only problem with the game? PS3-only. We can't have our cake and eat it too, can we?"

Kills it for me again and again. I was so hyped when I heard the original concept. I think this is the biggest mistake ever. Oh well - on to other things.

Amen.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

I would much rather prefer that mmorpg.com would stop, PLEASE, reporting on games which are, for one, 'one platform only' unless they TRULY fit the 'mmorpg' genere, which this does not.

Second, Why are you reporting on this, its not a mmorpg at all. (Kinda wondering about many of the recent 'picks' but meh, maybe its time for a namechange, mmo.com? Sony&EAsLittleWhore.com, not sure which fits.)

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Why do you keep annoying us with this console news?

Agreed, it is no MMO either.

Should be posted on FPSGuru but here.

-multiple players online at the same time, an individual arena may be something like 20 vs 20 or whatever but there could be hundreds of those going at the same time

<snip>

No it's not an MMO because 20v20 isn't massive, regardless of how many maps are running concurrently. If they have a couple of hundred on a map, then I'd consider it an MMO, like Planetside or Planetside 2. Otherwise it's the same as playing CS, BF, or any other online muliplayer FPS game.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Releasing Dust 514 as a PS3 exclusive is a enormous risk by CCP.

If this game fails it could mean the WoD will remain vaporware.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by SunwolfNC
    Originally posted by afropuff420

"My only problem with the game? PS3-only. We can't have our cake and eat it too, can we?"

Kills it for me again and again. I was so hyped when I heard the original concept. I think this is the biggest mistake ever. Oh well - on to other things.

Amen.

Me too

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269
    In the sea of negativity that envelops this site constantly, I just want to say I for one am looking forward to the game.  I have actually played it :)  My PS3 might actually have a use besides the blu-ray player role it has occupied the past four years.  I do have to buy a new HDD though, but a $40 laptop hard drive works fine fortuantely.  

• limpbiz411limpbiz411 Member CommonPosts: 8
    I love my PS3, thanks for the article.
  • RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    OMG this is the coolest thing ev.......wait, what?  PS3?  Not PC?  Wha..?

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Vegetto

Here's one logic: Maybe they think that if they released DUST 514 on PC, then EvE players may opt to play that instead of EvE, thus disrupting the population.

However, this fails when you consider the same applies no matter what platform it's released on, as whoever is playing DUST is potentially not playing EvE.

I think that's the thinking though, that you're traditional EvE player would rather stab their eyes than play a console FPS. So they potentially open a new untapped market, whilst also retaining the EvE players.

Still, console players are very fly-by-night, the simple comparison of a console gamers shelf of two dozen games he currently plays, against a few on a PC gamers hard-drive, only perhaps two of which he currently plays.

Dust is different from Eve. same IP, samd timeline, but still different. By having it on the PS3, and Free to play, you basically are advertising Eve IP to people that may have never known it exist, which gains more account sells as well as a few months of subs from these players.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

People that do not have a PC probably will not buy a PC when they have already a Console and feel good with it.
    The only thing that would make sense is if EvE was ported to the PS3.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Why do you keep annoying us with this console news? Twist the knife why dont you.

I even had a beta/alpha whatever invite--but I don't own any console game, much less a ps3.

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Came here to make sure that folks were as annoyed as I am about the PS3 thing.

Leaving satisfied.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

Dust 514 was meant to be a PS3 and Xbox 360 release, but something went wrong with Microsoft ( maybe they demanded an exclusive or wanted CCP to pay them huge amounts to use the Xbox Live service. I don't know) but Sony wanted to work with CCP for the PS3 platform and it was a far better deal from what I can gather.

So CCP went with Sony and PS3. Makes sense to me at least and also the PS3 is better suited for this FPS MMO anyway due to it ability to browse the internet where as the Xbox your tied to Xbox Live and Games for Windows. For all its popularity the Xbox is just not as flexable as the PS3.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

"EVE Online players and DUST 514 players will enjoy a type of symbiosis."

Good luck with that CCP. The PS3 gamer and EVE gamer are apples and oranges, the maturity gap will be huge between the two communities. You're are fools for not making it Pc too. Think of the game you could of had if it were built from the ground up with DX11. You could of had something near to Planetsides scale with today's Pc tech power.

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

Frankly, I am disgusted at this website for betraying it's purpose and selling out. This game is not a RPG. It is most certainly not a MMORPG. It is not even a computer game. Its is a console FPS.

It does not belong here.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

^your right there m8, but its made by CCP who created one of the most hardcore mmo's out there and is older then wow and still makes profit :)

But even without a fps or console game, its amazing CCP is doing a project that takes so much time and recources for a console that dies within 1 year....
    A new playstation and Xbox are going to be launched not long from now and then you get a whole new platform again...

i just doesnt make sence and its a lose / lose situation for CCP in any way or shape, maybe...maybe if it was made for PC it would have been a diffrent story...
    But even then, why would you play Dust when you can play Planetside 2 :P
    PS2 just looks fracking epic compared to Dust.

And like some1 else mentioned, why the fuck dint they made WOD #1 priority ?
    WoW is on major decline summer is ending lots of wholes on the market atm, i bet they could have finished WoD this summer if they dint spend all that mapower on Dust -_-

Ahwell maybe they see something or know something we dont ?
    Still a waiste of time tough...