Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does race matter?

OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

Hi all,

I'm new to the game, just bought it, looking forward to headstart, and I'm catching up now on intel.

Does race matter?  I want to start off with a Necro, and now I need to decide race.  I just want to be sure before I decide (maybe Norn, maybe Asura?) that a wrong choice won't gimp my character.

Thanks!

Comments

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

It does not matter. there are no race bonus of any kind.

just starter area/look

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Races do not have stat bonuses or anything that would give an edge in the game. They do however have racial utility and elite skills. As OldManFunk noted. These skills are typically less powerful than the class based ones but still fun and useful in PvE. They are not usable in sPvP (structure PvP) but are usable in World vs World.

So when picking a race, chose based off what would best fit your theme, or what city or starting zone most appeals to you. The utility and elite skills are just a little side bonus that add some extra depth and fun to an already amazingly deep and culturally rich set of races. :)

Edit: Oh I should add that all races have the same hitbox (the invisible box on all characters that register a hit in combat), so playing an asura doesn't mean you'll be harder to hit necessarily. :)

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Oyjord

Hi all,

I'm new to the game, just bought it, looking forward to headstart, and I'm catching up now on intel.

Does race matter?  I want to start off with a Necro, and now I need to decide race.  I just want to be sure before I decide (maybe Norn, maybe Asura?) that a wrong choice won't gimp my character.

Thanks!

If you're doing sPvP, then race doesn't matter as racials don't work there in the sPvP zones.  However, if you're doing WvWvW or PvE, then "yes" race does matter.  This is because each race has racial Utility Skills as well as racial Elite Skills.    But, to select the racial ones you'd have to choose over class-specific ones, which is a big questional thing.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    To add to to other stuff that was stated, each has has their own branching personal stories.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

I will save you the trouble.

Sylvari are the absolute best race, no matter what profession you are.

Because Sylvari are awesome.

• LytheEmberLytheEmber Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by Jagarid

I second that notion.  Mostly because they pulse and glow in the dark.  VERY important. :)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

not surea about you all but im making one of each race.... different storylines, different racial skills, everyone looks cool, awesome starting areas with enough content to differentiate from each other, gotta get them all

:3

Edit:  soooooo indecisive =3

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Racials, starting areas, racial armour and personal storyline.
  • Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by LytheEmber

I second that notion.  Mostly because they pulse and glow in the dark.  VERY important. :)

Sounds like they make great targets.

There is one race that holds a small edge over the others.

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by LytheEmber

sooooooo. they are walking glow sticks? from the era of raves and dubstep?

Originally posted by GamerUntouch
    Racials, starting areas, racial armour and personal storyline.

This is a good point.

I don't think racial abilities matter a lick, because you wouldn't want to use them over class specific abilities other than "for fun", just imo.  But the cultural armor appearances could matter to you.  Might want to check out which you like the look of.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

During the beta my Norn Warrior was so tall that you couldn't see his head on the character select screen.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• PiratePetePiratePete Member Posts: 105

Asuras: Cocky brainiacs

Norn: Spiritual guys... Who also like to beat things up? (hard to pin them.)

Charr: I'll smash anything that looks at me, and everything that doesn't as well.

Humans: you need help doing something. Pick me! I'm a hero!

Syvari...: Whaaat? What's going on man.... Smoked myself into a coma... (May not be accurate. Didn't play them much except to make a character :P)

So if you're into personal story and your character's personality/traits kind of matter to you then there's a generalization of what the races are like. Other than that racial skills for pve/WvW are another reason if that's a factor for you

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Charr females have mustaches.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Asura all the way! They have the funniest animations in the game.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

I say race matters a little mainly because how they move.  Asuras feel like they are moving like damn lightning . While the Norn and Charr feel like they weigh as much as a tank with their slow and heavy movements.  Some people dislike the super speed Asura move and others dislike how slow the Charr and Norn move.

Personally, for me, I like both.  Big ass Charr looks boss running at you with dual axes.

BOOYAKA!

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

While every race has racial abilities, whether you should use them in place of your profession skills is questionable. You can't use them in sPvP though.

Every race has their own personal story, lore, and personality. Nor do they fit typical stereotypes exactly.

Asura -- While you might think these guys are gnomes, they aren't. They are condescending a**hats who believe all the other races exist for their own use. They believe they are the superior race. They aren't the most technologically advanced race. They are the most magically advanced races. All of their "technology" involves magic.

Charr -- I don't even know what stereotype they fill. They are a warlike culture who believe in honor and victory. Unlike the norn, the value their warbands and legions. To be without a warband is horrible for a Charr. They are cat-like and merciless. They are the most technologically advanced race in the game. After the events of GW1, they no longer worship dieties and they banished the flame legion (those who caused the Searing in GW1).

Norn -- A gigantic, spiritual human. They are capable of turning into bears or other animal spirits. Like the Charr, they value honor and bravery. However, unlike the Charr, they value strength without the aid of others. Most importantly, they love having a good adventure story while having a few rounds.

Human -- Well, they're humans. They are on the verge of extinction in Tyria. There are only 2 human strongholds left in all of Tyria: Ebonhawke (in Ascalon) and Kryta/Divinity's Reach. They still worship the 6 Gods, even though they have grown silent in the past 250 years.

Sylvari -- While they may seem like your elf race, they are the opposite actually. They are essentially walking salads and deeply attuned to nature. The race itself is only 25 years old at the time of GW2. All Sylvari are born from a tree in the Grove. 

Short video that can help you make the decision:

How to Choose your Race in Guild Wars 2