Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the name NCSoft help GW2? Cause my god...

123457»

Comments

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298

1 - NC owns ANet(it is a NC subsidiary company)

2 - TERA sucked, in east Lineage 1(14 years old) is much more sucessful, L1 is still the 3rd most played MMO in Korea, for example, only behind Aion and Blade&soul(B&S killed TERA completely in east), and L1 is followed by L2 in 4th. Note: all those games are P2P in eastern market.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Celcius

I don't think it "helps" but I also don't think it hurts them either. I mean, I look at it like this. You can come up with tons of reasons to hate every major game publisher out there, but in the end none of that really matters. I won't dismiss a game because it is from a publisher with some game that has burned me. I would not play anything from Activision, Microsoft, NCSoft, or EA if that were the case. Which considering how big all those guys are, would pretty much be me retiring from gaming as a whole. They have hands in pretty much every single title I have loved or hated over the years.

Most people who pickup GW2 probably don't even know who NC Soft is. The average gamer does not care about that kind of stuff. 

Honestly man, very few really care. I mean look at EA. They won that worst company award yet still sell games hand over fist for games the general public still views favorably or find interesting. Most simply do not care or even know the history of the company. Won't effect GW2 in the least overall. The few that follow that stuff are certainly the minority.

So in short, I agree with your post haha.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by sammyeli
    Originally posted by silvermember
    on the internet it's cool to hate gaming companies. I read a lot of forums and it seem except for Notch gamers seem to hate every game company. So no matter what some jackweed somewhere will find fault purely based on publisher and making a thread about it won't change.

Word of the day "Jackweed" 

Will be using that from now on to replace D-bag

30 rock.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

This thread sure is interesting. 

None of us know the amount of influence NCSoft decides to exert over ArenaNet. ArenaNet is a wholly-owned subsidiary of NCSoft, meaning NCSoft has a 100% stake in ArenaNet. This means NCSoft IS free to control the activities of ArenaNet and elect board members as they see fit.

However, if NCSoft exerts too much control over ArenaNet, then ArenaNet is technically no longer a separate entity. They instead just become a conduit for NCSoft to do business. As a result, if ArenaNet screws up, NCSoft can be held liable. Meaning NCSoft will probably exert as much influence as necessary to ensure ArenaNet will carry out NCSoft goals in NA/EU, but allow ArenaNet to control the way it's done. As long as ArenaNet remains solvent, NCSoft is happy. And if ArenaNet should prove to be insolvent, generally NCSoft cannot be held liable. This in effect allows NCSoft to get into NA/EU market without the financial mess of establishing a business here. 

People need to remember, ArenaNet IS A SEPARATE ENTITY. While the board may be controlled by NCSoft, and any financial decisions can be overturned by NCSoft, ArenaNet is responsible for their own business and game. Through agreements, they may gain access to NCSoft assets or the assets of NCSoft subsidiaries (just as other subsidiarys of NCSoft can license ArenaNet's assets, which they should license ArenaNet's streaming update patent), but for the most part ArenaNet is reponsible for themselves. 

It's a tricky business. While yes, NCSoft can control the design directions of the games, they probably won't. ArenaNet is a NA company, and knows the market here better than NCSoft. If NCSoft gets too involved and ArenaNet proves incorrect, NCSoft suffers as a result of liabilities. If NCSoft remains hands-off, and ArenaNet proves incorrect, NCSoft won't necessarily be liable  for ArenaNet's insolvency.

• ZoyitaZoyita Member Posts: 119
    Dude the fact that Arena.net is an american company made me like it very much, i dislike the games made in China/Korea that they have like 2 diferent version and their version is always cooler and have more content and then they do a shitty translation to english.... and they add the patches/fashions/ consumables/updates first on Asia and then like a year later on NA... i dont like games like that... im glad Arena is NA, i just wish NCSOFT keep their hands away from marketing decitions and they dont give any idea about the cash shop i wish all boost get removed from the cash shop.. everything else can stay. But thats just my opinion and what power do i have? none xD
  • Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

If NCSoft has any say in GW2 development then you can expect GW2's death before you can say Aion three times fast...

I'm glad they only published.