Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] DayZ: The DayZ Standalone

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

What do we know so far about the standalone version of DayZ? What would we like to see improved in the full game? We discuss it all in this week's Independency column!

On August 7, Rocket announced via Twitter that the DayZ standalone project had received the green light. Surprisingly, Rocket has also committed to continuing development on the DayZ mod in parallel to the standalone project. We didn’t learn too much about the standalone at first, only that the game would follow Mojang’s Minecraft model in that the game would be iterated on quickly and be made available to players at a significant discount even while in an Alpha state.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Independency: The DayZ Standalone.

Comments

• if they fix the bugs and the hackers i'll be happy. anything else is just a bonus.

i am really curious about the underground compounds though. if done right it should add a lot to the game.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i have mixed feelings about this. sure Dayz is a "mod" but i did have to buy Arma2 to play it, so in that sense to me it feels like i have "bought" Dayz already.

now they are making it a fully fledged stand alone game and i'm supposed to buy it again?...what?

....maybe if it's a flawless version of Dayz with some really coold features like every building is explorable (biggest pet peeve right now) and i can set traps for zombies/players....then maybe...but it better be one heck of a sweet upgrade.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    I'm excited about this news.   I want to play Day Z, but I don't want to have to buy ARMA 2 (a game I have zero interest in) to be able to play it.  I'll gladly support him and buy it as a stand alone game, which looks like should be a much better product to boot.
  • OsirrusOsirrus Member Posts: 55

i've been playing Dayz for 3 months now. lol the adrenaline rush is addictive :)

as far as stopping the deathmatch scenario.  

the latest build (1.7.2.5) has a new humanity feature.  with bandit skins making a return but also a new hero skin.

basically killing surviors = loss of humanity  and eventual bandit skin 

helping survivors i.e bandaging/blood bagging other players increases your humanity to the point where you eventually earn the hero skin.

i really think this is a step in the right direction :)

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by Osirrus

i've been playing Dayz for 3 months now. lol the adrenaline rush is addictive :)

the latest build (1.7.2.5) has a new humanity feature.  with bandit skins making a return but also a new hero skin.

helping survivors i.e bandaging/blood bagging other players increases your humanity to the point where you eventually earn the hero skin.

What are these skins? Why would I want them? What's so bad about being a bandit if I can kill whomever I want in the game. Just curious cause I'm intersted in this game along with The WarZ

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

i have mixed feelings about this. sure Dayz is a "mod" but i did have to buy Arma2 to play it, so in that sense to me it feels like i have "bought" Dayz already.

now they are making it a fully fledged stand alone game and i'm supposed to buy it again?...what?

....maybe if it's a flawless version of Dayz with some really coold features like every building is explorable (biggest pet peeve right now) and i can set traps for zombies/players....then maybe...but it better be one heck of a sweet upgrade.

First of all, you didn't buy DayZ, you said it yourself, it's a mod, DayZ got no money from you purchasing combined operations.

Second, they will follow minecrafts model, so it won't be expensive for the stand alone game.

Third, The mod will still be active when the stand alone game launches, so if you don't want to buy the stand alone game, you can just keep playing the mod... But they can do way more in their own game, than with just a mod.

the skins are basically different clothes that make it easier to identify weather a particular person is likely to try and kill you....

if you see someone with a green towel wrapped around there head = they are a bandit and probaly best to avoid or kill them (killing bandits adds to your humanity)  

i have also seen and heard of a "jason style hockey mask" that might be gotten from very high banditry ( not confirmed tho)

if you see someone with a camo hat and  camo bodywarmer (sleeveless jacket) they are a "hero" and likey they wont try to kill you as doing so would decrease there humanity (which would eventually turn them into a bandit)

the way it works at mo.

kill a survivor = instanly lose 5000humanity

if you have below 0 humanity = your a bandit

if you have above 5000 humanity = your a hero

you gain humanity from helping others/killing bandits ( im unsure of the actually points awarded for each action)

oh and the most important bit ... Humanity Count Persists Through Death

disclaimer** none of this was in the patch notes for the update. its all basically surmised and derived from the players playing the latest patch and what we're discovering in game.  so if i got any of that slightly wrong i appolgise

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by PieRad

First of all, you didn't buy DayZ, you said it yourself, it's a mod, DayZ got no money from you purchasing combined operations.

Second, they will follow minecrafts model, so it won't be expensive for the stand alone game.

Third, The mod will still be active when the stand alone game launches, so if you don't want to buy the stand alone game, you can just keep playing the mod... But they can do way more in their own game, than with just a mod.

I can see his point. People are now specifically buying ARMA II just to play Day Z. It's been a major draw to the game.

But I agree with your 2nd andf 3rd point. It shouldn't be too bad to buy the standalone early, and if you don't want to do that you can still play the ARMA II mod.

• MizzmoMizzmo Member UncommonPosts: 133
    I agree Michael Bitton, but the the mod isn't even near finished. I think a standalone will give Rokket the ability to fix many issues and fix them faster than we see currently. I love DayZ though.
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I bought Arma 2 because of DayZ. So did over 150,000 other people.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

"standalone" with "chernarus plus"... so all in all, it'll STILL be a mod, but they decide to call it "standalone" and you will be paying for it... wow, just wow.. i could understand if he'd do an entirely new map... it's using the arma2 engine and a modified chernarus map... i just cant see myself spending money on this.. it's still a mod..

I already spent 25€ on arma2:CO (while dean didn't get the cash, it was he who made me buy it)
    Only reason he got bohemia to take him in, was the sales of CO that the dayz mod made for them :D
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
    Originally posted by Fusion

"standalone" with "chernarus plus"... so all in all, it'll STILL be a mod, but they decide to call it "standalone" and you will be paying for it... wow, just wow.. i could understand if he'd do an entirely new map... it's using the arma2 engine and a modified chernarus map... i just cant see myself spending money on this.. it's still a mod..

I already spent 25€ on arma2:CO (while dean didn't get the cash, it was he who made me buy it)
    Only reason he got bohemia to take him in, was the sales of CO that the dayz mod made for them :D

chernarus plus will just be the first map. rocket has talked about other islands and how easy it will  be to port to new islands also. its not the arma2 engine. its the real virtuality engine. it will be a mix of arma2 and 3.  think of it as arma 2.5 engine if you will :) 

i have also seen and heard of a "jason style hockey mask" that might be gotten from very high banditry ( not confirmed tho)

I can kill that rumor right now...

If you see Jason Vorhees in DayZ, it's a custom skin, check reddit and youtube for how to get your own custom skin ( and yes, other players can see your custom skin too)

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

chernarus plus will just be the first map. rocket has talked about other islands and how easy it will  be to port to new islands also. its not the arma2 engine. its the real virtuality engine. it will be a mix of arma2 and 3.  think of it as arma 2.5 engine if you will :) 

it will STILL be using the "same" engine as arma2/3 and a modified chernarus map (which is made by bohemia).. i just can't "suck it" as "standalone"

If bethesda modified morrowind with space ships, lasers and some graphics upgrades and put it forsale as "standalone" would you accept that?

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts

I bought Arma 2 because of DayZ. So did over 150,000 other people.

Yes, but that was your own choice, the guy who made the mod didn't see a penny... It's a mod, and it's in beta!

I'm playing it too, I had ArmA II already, but I bought arrowhead just to access the mod, but that doesn't mean I should get DayZ stand alone for free, it was a choice I made to try it out.

When the stand alone does come out, I'll pay him for his game, he deserves it.

I can kill that rumor right now...

If you see Jason Vorhees in DayZ, it's a custom skin, check reddit and youtube for how to get your own custom skin ( and yes, other players can see your custom skin too)

ah thank you sir :) i dont really frequent reddit :)

it will STILL be using the "same" engine as arma2/3 and a modified chernarus map (which is made by bohemia).. i just can't "suck it" as "standalone"

If bethesda modified morrowind with space ships, lasers and some graphics upgrades and put it forsale as "standalone" would you accept that?

ah i see what your saying now.

ok so it uses the same engine and a modified map as arma2  but tbf that is where all similarity with the arma series ends :)

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I had never even heard of Arma until I started following DayZ. That being said, I knew I was buying a game just to play a mod for it. I also knew the mod was in Alpha. I'm not sure what some others were expecting.

Joined - July 2004

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

That fact is just a technicality. Many who bought Arma 2 Combined Operations to play DayZ, which is probably 90+% of sales since DayZ hit the news, may "feel" they paid for the game already.

DayZ standalone releasing cheaper than what they already paid doesn't help there either.

It's a sticky situation whichever way you look at it.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Fallout 4?

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• teethteeth Member Posts: 67
    The stand-alone version will be a day 1 purchase for me. One game mechanic I would like to see is the ability to blind zombies and enemy players. Throw dirt in their eyes, shoot them in the face with spray paint, anything that would grant a temporary advantage if you're in close combat and being overwhelmed. Your character could be blinded as well, adding another level of intensity to an already intense game.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Day Z isn't ready to be stand-alone.  There's so many bugs, clunky interface, etc.  It just feels too amateur to be justified for a purchase.
  • MilitantMilitant Member Posts: 48
    Never played day z, but i just wanted to point out that a mod to standalone has been done successfully before... A little half life mod known as Counter-strike.
  • mirage2000mirage2000 Member UncommonPosts: 4

I find it kind of funny that a lot of people complain that they have to pay twice for a mod that is going to go standalone. If you like a game and would like to see it thrive wouldn't you give more money to it? I keep hearing about people who spend months playing dayz, isn't the game worth spending a bit more for some upgraded content? Bohemia interactive did recruit the guy making the mod, so resources that were gained from the massive surge of players who bought Arma aren't going to waste, heck they made a whole team to help make the game better.

Also Arma 2 isn’t that bad of a game and there are a lot of cool mods on it anyways (a lot of zombie mods alla counter-strike zombie run, sandbox mods alla Garry’s mod, etc.)

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

What are these skins? Why would I want them? What's so bad about being a bandit if I can kill whomever I want in the game. Just curious cause I'm intersted in this game along with The WarZ

These skins are visual indicators of your in-game behaviour. Other players will distrust you if you look like a bandit and either run from you or kill you on sight.

On topic, I agree with the high-technology / vehicles quandary. It's however difficult that we wouldn't get used to the zombies' IA no matter how high they set the bar and it ends up by becoming yet again a deathmatch. More maps somehow linked and territorial control flavoured by some kind of high valuable ressource harvesting would help but afaik such a setting is beyond the scope of the Dayz standalone.