Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] DUST 514: CCP Wants to Change the Universe

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We've had our team on the ground during Gamescom 2012 in Cologne, Germany to check out some of the hottest titles there. In our latest preview, we take a look at DUST 514 and how CCP plans to rock the gaming world. See what we found out and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

CCP wants to change the universe… of EVE Online anyway. Like a clumsy yet attractive paramour, DUST 514 is both frustrating and exciting. It's a soap bubble lined with all my hopes and dreams, one that I'm terrified will burst if I so much as breathe. For those who don't know, the short version of the story is this: DUST 514 is a stand-alone FPS built within the EVE Online universe. Swaddled in high-tech machinery and peopled by legions of artillery-totting individuals in armor, it's easy to mistake DUST 514 for your average, run-of-the-mill shooter. Pretty, but not that special. However, there is so much more. DUST 514's unique selling point is this: there is a correlation between the DUST 514 and Eve Online, a living connection that exists in real-time, a marriage of two games, an impossibility made real. This was CCP's promise.

Read more of Cassandra Khaw's DUST 514: CCP Wants to Change the Universe.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625

"My only problem with the game? PS3-only. We can't have our cake and eat it too, can we?"

Kills it for me again and again. I was so hyped when I heard the original concept. I think this is the biggest mistake ever. Oh well - on to other things.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Why do you keep annoying us with this console news? Twist the knife why dont you.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by mCalvert

Why do you keep annoying us with this console news?

Agreed, it is no MMO either.

Should be posted on FPSGuru but here.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

It surely must be a Sony cash incentive as to why they decided to produce a game that complimented EvE on a PS3, especially as Xbox is more popular and presumably there would be a little bit more of a cross-over there.

I can't see any reason for it other than to get a foothold in the console market. But even then, do they have any idea about that market? Do they honestly think this is what console gamers will go for?

But let's face it, they are hoping that long-term EvE vets will get the game to multibox EvE and DUST, some perhaps even buying a PS3 for it. Co-operative play of any kind will never work between PC and console players, they literally hate each other lol.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I wonder.. is it PS3 only, because multiplayer games are never cross-platform?  I don't know the technical reasons for it, but you never see PC users competing against console users, in any game.  Shooter, MMO, or otherwise.  Which means, maybe they HAD to pick a single platform, so that they could work it into the single EVE universe.  

Otherwise they'd have these alternate universes for PC and PS3, and maybe that just doesn't work with how they want to integrate it all together.  People keep complaining about this, as if it were some stupid whim CCP had, but I don't know, I think they would release it on PC, if it were possible to release it cross-platform, without compromising the single-universe they've got going.

Should they have chosen PC instead of the PS3?  Because maybe it is one or the other.  Or the 360..

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 606
    PS3 exclusive, therefore this entire article is irrelevant.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Vhaln
    I wonder.. is it PS3 only, because multiplayer games are never cross-platform?  I don't know the technical reasons for it, but you never see PC users competing against console users, in any game.  Shooter, MMO, or otherwise.

Of the recent games, I recall Portal 2 being cross platform multiplayer.

It is not that it is impossible but it is mostly not worth the effort...

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Here's one logic: Maybe they think that if they released DUST 514 on PC, then EvE players may opt to play that instead of EvE, thus disrupting the population.

However, this fails when you consider the same applies no matter what platform it's released on, as whoever is playing DUST is potentially not playing EvE.

I think that's the thinking though, that you're traditional EvE player would rather stab their eyes than play a console FPS. So they potentially open a new untapped market, whilst also retaining the EvE players.

Still, console players are very fly-by-night, the simple comparison of a console gamers shelf of two dozen games he currently plays, against a few on a PC gamers hard-drive, only perhaps two of which he currently plays.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Hmm... one reason I quit Eve was a lack of desire of having my PI interfered with by Dust Bunnies. But as a whole, I grew bored after awhile.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910
    The good thing about Dust is......we get planetside 2 :P
  • verenovverenov Member UncommonPosts: 72
    One of the main reason we don't see more cross-platform games, to put it simply, is because of Microsoft and Sony. They want to grab as much of the market for themselves. They don't want to do *something* for the gaming community that may not bring them the largest cash flow to their own company as can be obtained. It sucks from a player's point of view, but one that is somewhat understandable from a company's point of view. Still, limiting this to just one console is not the best idea, especially with the hardships that Sony is experiencing right now. What is this, the 3rd straight quarter that Sony has lost huge amounts of money? By the time Dust launches they may be launching without a console platform...

"I am handicapped...I'm psychotic."

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    "My only problem with the game? PS3-only."  That sums up the whole article right there. There is nothing in this  that makes me want to run out and purchase a PS3 nor to sub to the PSN just to be able to play this one game. I can play games that look and play and have more features that is better on my PC.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

I wonder.. is it PS3 only, because multiplayer games are never cross-platform?  I don't know the technical reasons for it, but you never see PC users competing against console users, in any game.  Shooter, MMO, or otherwise.  Which means, maybe they HAD to pick a single platform, so that they could work it into the single EVE universe.  

Otherwise they'd have these alternate universes for PC and PS3, and maybe that just doesn't work with how they want to integrate it all together.  People keep complaining about this, as if it were some stupid whim CCP had, but I don't know, I think they would release it on PC, if it were possible to release it cross-platform, without compromising the single-universe they've got going.

Should they have chosen PC instead of the PS3?  Because maybe it is one or the other.  Or the 360..

Cross platform in a "shooter" never works out well. Most consoles shooters are designed to take advantage or rather to address the disadvantage of console controls. For example, hit boxes. Hit boxes are how the computer (yes...consoles are also computers) determine if you hit an object that you are shooting at. On consoles, since the aim of the controllers is normally slower and less precise then say a mouse, they make those hit boxes slightly larger. To visualise a hit box, stand a ingame avatar up with their arms held so that they are 90 degrees from the body. Now draw a box around the head, another around the upper body and arms and yet another around the legs. On a PC version of the game, you might see the hit boxes each drawn fairly close to the actual body surface. On a console however, you will see that the hit boxes are drawn further away from the outline of the body. Thus, you get a larger area that you can "hit". 

The above is not to degrade the console. It just is what it is and is one reason why the console and PC usually do not co-mingle. PC players would find it far too easy to take advantage of the console players and console players would cry foul if they were play eqaul skilled players on the PC.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Gruug
    "My only problem with the game? PS3-only."  That sums up the whole article right there. There is nothing in this  that makes me want to run out and purchase a PS3 nor to sub to the PSN just to be able to play this one game. I can play games that look and play and have more features that is better on my PC.

^This^

I'd rather spend my money on a new video card or toward a new PC or even on new games then to have to run out and buy a PS3 just so I can then buy and play this game. Its just not that Stellar. there are a few PC games like Planet side 2 coming that are just as good, and don't require the investment in buying a new platform

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230
    "It's still too early to tell" << actually the community is quite sure what to tell about a console shooter :P

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

really weird decision to make it PS3 exclusive. EvE players are PC users, and the majority of PS3 players do not play EvE.

relly weird decision. hope it doesnt bite them in the ass.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Vegetto

Here's one logic: Maybe they think that if they released DUST 514 on PC, then EvE players may opt to play that instead of EvE, thus disrupting the population.

However, this fails when you consider the same applies no matter what platform it's released on, as whoever is playing DUST is potentially not playing EvE.

I think that's the thinking though, that you're traditional EvE player would rather stab their eyes than play a console FPS. So they potentially open a new untapped market, whilst also retaining the EvE players.

Still, console players are very fly-by-night, the simple comparison of a console gamers shelf of two dozen games he currently plays, against a few on a PC gamers hard-drive, only perhaps two of which he currently plays.

I think this is a common misunderstanding of their reasons, but yeah, it doesn't make sense, and I find it hard to believe they wouldn't see that, themselves...

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

I assume they weren't able to fund the developement of DUST on PCs. They needed money Sony offered it. So yeah, partially that's the reason. An FPS can't remain balance if it's cross platform because console will always be at disatvange against PC (mouse keyboard is way way more accurate and flexible than pad).

Xbox was never an option due to how strict they are about any cross-platform interaction. Microsoft wants everything tog o through their servers making it much much harder to really do it properly. 

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I think its a cool idea. They might be thinking if they go with PS3 they will get more PR, which I think is a safe assumption. If it was PC it would have just been another MMO expansion pack.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Dont get the whole PS3 thing. Plus Planetside 2 already looks better and sounds like it has more features (you can already use your jump pack and there are many vehicles for all races), and its ON PC.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Kniknax

and its ON PC.

Welcome to hack and exploit fest. Enjoy...

CCP have simply chosen the easy way to avaid all those nast hacks that kill competitive fps on the PC.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Gruug
     nor to sub to the PSN

PSN is not sub based... Once you have the PS3 you can play DUST till your eyes pop out for free.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

moves like this makes me wonder if the people at CCP have any clue at all.

The main selling point of the game is that it is doing something thats never been done before...two games, intertwined and can affect each other...yet are on two very different platforms with very different gamers.

Seriously...Eve, which already has a small playerbase and speaks to a small segment of the genre and now they are making an inter-connecting game for a console?!? And the draw to gamers is what? its an online shooter? They dont know or care about the story or universe its set in...jebus CCP...thats a move that would make Bioware look like pros.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

Console + 1st person shooter = fail

Alienate original fanbase by not supporting original PC platform = fail

Claim to be after the Console market but make the game for less than half of it (no Xbox) = fail

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290
    It will collect dust in the game shops....

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty