Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long until GW2 brings the hate(rs)?

CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378

I bought and so far (beta's, stress test's withstanding) am busting to play GW2, it looks great.  I also play and love TSW, both great games for different reasons.  I'm pretty sure between them I am going to sorted for a good few months/years - grea games, great stuff.

I was wonder what others opinions were on the masive hype over GW2.  It is definately an awesome game but I am worried that the hate will seap (sp?) in after about 3-4 weeks. If something is fanboy'd this much we are settin git up for a fall.  I live in the UK and oou media do it all the time.

Just wondered if others think like I do?  People will play their bottoms off until they reach 80, say there's no endgame or raids (Zzzzz) and post mega crap on forums. 

GW2 is great and TSW is great, both will continue to be so.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

Comments

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    They are already here.
  • VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    It's not only you who's thinking like that, if you check the current forum threads it's like everyone having pink glasses on. Gw2 is everything its sandbox best combat its awesome no raids its themepark its everything lol. Im pretty sure this can't hold pretty long, lets see how fast people realise that.
  • XtenXten Member Posts: 119

Good meurning,

I play TWS to atm and i will keep the sub going next to GW2. I just love doing the investigation missions, they can be very very tough but o so sattisfying when you solve them on your own, the setting, the dialouge ,the story. Yeah TWS is worth keeping and playing. It does all these things way better then GW2 except for the  combat and pvp is not as great tho but i will be playing GW2 for that.

I love the setting of both games equally tho,

Im not sure what you are trying to point out with the haters tho. It quite standard to have more haters pop up the moment the game releases and after a few weeks when the mmo locusts are done more will pop up but , so what?

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

It is quite pointless to raise concerns about an upcoming title, especially when there is loads of hype involved. Also comparisons between released games and not-yet-released games do lack.

You will get your "I expected something different" posts after release - not by haters, but by former fans. It is just the way it is since many years.

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Vapors
    It's not only you who's thinking like that, if you check the current forum threads it's like everyone having pink glasses on. Gw2 is everything its sandbox best combat its awesome no raids its themepark its everything lol. Im pretty sure this can't hold pretty long, lets see how fast people realise that.

The issue with this response is that there is a lot of reasons to look at the positives on GW2 taking theme parks solely as an example it is the only game for a very long time to come into the genre wtih an overall improvement across the boards in its content. Its highly polished, coded brilliantly and is different in a lot of areas. Whilst some will point out these differences can be seen insome ways in games like Rift, DaoC, War, DCUO, GW1 and other titles its the fact it has brought all of these bits together with polish and with cherries on top to boot. 

It has numerous weaker elements but the overall delivery is what is exciting. 

My final point is the one glossed over most, what makes this different to so many theme parks over the last 5-8 yearsish, is the non linear progression and equal rewards for all.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by bluefunk

Just wondered if others think like I do?  People will play their bottoms off until they reach 80, say there's no endgame or raids (Zzzzz) and post mega crap on forums. 

Meh.  A large number of GW2 fans are GW1 fans.  They know the drill, and they didn't come to forums complaining when they reached level 20, because there were plenty of things to do.  The ones that do complain are going to be small in number and they'll move onto other things, no big loss.  Raiders, despite what they want to believe, are a minority and are rarely ever satisfied anyway.

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Meh.  A large number of GW2 fans are GW1 fans.  They know the drill, and they didn't come to forums complaining when they reached level 20, because there were plenty of things to do.  The ones that do complain are going to be small in number and they'll move onto other things, no big loss.  Raiders, despite what they want to believe, are a minority and are rarely ever satisfied anyway.

Eir going to go offtopic-ish but do you like myself see Level 30 in GW2 to be a lot like level 20 in Guild Wars 1 at this point you have the full potential of skill allocations but upward progression to 80 via traits and gaining more skills for variable playstyles and situations?

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Kyus_HoB
    Originally posted by Vapors

The issue with this response is that there is a lot of reasons to look at the positives on GW2 taking theme parks solely as an example it is the only game for a very long time to come into the genre wtih an overall improvement across the boards in its content. Its highly polished, coded brilliantly and is different in a lot of areas. Whilst some will point out these differences can be seen insome ways in games like Rift, DaoC, War, DCUO, GW1 and other titles its the fact it has brought all of these bits together with polish and with cherries on top to boot. 

It has numerous weaker elements but the overall delivery is what is exciting. 

My final point is the one glossed over most, what makes this different to so many theme parks over the last 5-8 yearsish, is the non linear progression and equal rewards for all.

thats why I will try it, otherwise it offers IN MY MIND nothing new and not seen before

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312
    snip
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by ThemePork
    There's already plenty of hate directed at the rabid fanboiz monopolizing this website, and rightly so.

Now see, this I do not get. The rabid fanboiz are not monopolizing the website. Even now the advertisement is for World of Tanks and Rift, not GW2. The GW2 posts are in the GW2 sub forum. The GW2 players don't seem any more 'rabid' than the people like any other game...so why do the GW2 players attract so much wrath? Usually it's the games that attract the ire of posters on this website.

** edit **
    Ah, you've edited your post. I'm going to leave the question, because even though you've rethought your post, many do not, and I'd like an answer to the question. It's not an attempt to call you out, I'm actually curious.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by lizardbones

There's already plenty of hate directed at the rabid fanboiz monopolizing this website, and rightly so.

Now see, this I do not get. The rabid fanboiz are not monopolizing the website. Even now the advertisement is for World of Tanks and Rift, not GW2. The GW2 posts are in the GW2 sub forum. The GW2 players don't seem any more 'rabid' than the people like any other game...so why do the GW2 players attract so much wrath? Usually it's the games that attract the ire of posters on this website.

They can't stand that people are enjoying GW2.

Imagine an MMO releasing that works as intended and that does not immediatly "fail" because the fanbase has deemed it a fail?

There must be something wrong with us or the game because it is impossible that an MMO actually delivers on its promises.

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378

I guess my feelings are that it's great to get excited about a great game but also calm down.  No game will reach the expectations that GW2 mental-fans are reaching for.  I am tired of this awesome-cr4p cycle I suppose.

GW2 is great.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Pandamin
    Originally posted by lizardbones

They can't stand that people are enjoying GW2.

Imagine an MMO releasing that works as intended and that does not immediatly "fail" because the fanbase has deemed it a fail?

There must be something wrong with us or the game because it is impossible that an MMO actually delivers on its promises.

It's a sad state of affairs. Nowadays, when devs promise something, people expect them not to deliver. Not delivering has become a norm. Even I was pretty surprised when I realised GW2 is everything it was supposed to be and more.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

I bought and so far (beta's, stress test's withstanding) am busting to play GW2, it looks great.  I also play and love TSW, both great games for different reasons.  I'm pretty sure between them I am going to sorted for a good few months/years - grea games, great stuff.

I was wonder what others opinions were on the masive hype over GW2.  It is definately an awesome game but I am worried that the hate will seap (sp?) in after about 3-4 weeks. If something is fanboy'd this much we are settin git up for a fall.  I live in the UK and oou media do it all the time.

Really, you are english or not english living in the uk?

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Seeing as getting to 80 is *very* quick in gw2, I think people who did not now how gw2 is actaully designed will come to the forums and whine well within 1 month. 

edit: wrong tread

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

The haters are already here.... :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Originally posted by Sylvarii

Really, you are english or not english living in the uk?

Why does it make a difference?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Kyus_HoB
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Eir going to go offtopic-ish but do you like myself see Level 30 in GW2 to be a lot like level 20 in Guild Wars 1 at this point you have the full potential of skill allocations but upward progression to 80 via traits and gaining more skills for variable playstyles and situations?

I see it as sort of a "first level 20".  In GW1 at level 20, you could earn the most rare gear, but in GW2 only level 80 allows you to do so (by way of the Mystic Forge), but in terms of reaching the point where you can start collecting "the good stuff" in terms of skills, yeah I think it's very similar.  Some people think once you've unlocked all of your weapon skills, the game is over, but GW2 is similar to GW1 in the respect that you're still going to be unlocking skills or gear for the rest of the game.  Skill points are, in that way, as important as they were in the first game and the best part is that they're going to become harder to obtain as time goes by.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Why worry about anyone one else as long as you are having fun with the games you play then it does not matter what anyone else thinks so don't concern your self about the hype or negative media whether it be from players or companies. There is not one single game which has ever been made where every customer has been happy and there never will be so no one can change that. Should this ever happen then that company will clean up and I want to be involved with them also.

Bandit

Asbo

Originally posted by NightBandit

Why worry about anyone one else as long as you are having fun with the games you play then it does not matter what anyone else thinks so don't concern your self about the hype or negative media whether it be from players or companies. There is not one single game which has ever been made where every customer has been happy and there never will be so no one can change that. Should this ever happen then that company will clean up and I want to be involved with them also.

Bandit

Totally, I wll have great fun. 8am start here in the U.K. if not 3 hours earlier as per Anet said.

I guess sometimes when you hit up forums you see the love/hate extremes and it annoys me.

Wait, what? 3 hours early? What is this madness?
    Originally posted by Svarcanum

Anet said they "may" open 3 hours early or something? anyone?  Not offical just as a test.  (Staggered logins maybe)

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Sounds like the OP is talking more about rabid fanbois turned haters after the game releases and for one reason or another fails to meet some players expectations.

I would like to think that for a one time $60 box cost that even those that find for some reason that they dont like GW2 at some point will state why and move on, not everyone is going to love the game like i do but i believe very few will find genuine exception with the games overall fun factor and remarkable value if they give it a fair shot..

The same for TSW i really dont see many genuinely hating on the game or saying its not a good game or that its not worth the price of the box including the first month free but to some it gets tedious and or lacks overall content and is simply not worth it to them to sub to it for various reasons..

Times are changing and their is plenty of different choices available now for different gamestyles and even budgets and finally there is the promise of some awesome looking sandboxes coming in the near future to appease even the loudest, most fickle and morbid minority of players which are also generally the loudest haters of most other games..

GW2 may be potentially the first genuinely phenomenonal game since WoW and like WoW it may eventually have its fair share of haters rather it deserves it or not..

Gamer rage usually begins 2-3 months into a subbed game but for a AAA B2P that delivers everything its devs promised i mostly see power gamers, sandboxers and raiders that havent had enough of the carrot chase yet as the majority of haters and there is no way of knowing exactly how many will buy GW2 or how they will feel about GW2 once they are level 80..

Since anet listens to their fans to a certain and fair degree i suspect we will hear the minority yet very vocal raider bunch unsuccessfully bitch and lobby for raid dungeons and elitest progressions and the sandboxers will whine unsuccessfully for open world PvP hence becoming the games biggest haters.

Playing GW2..

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Svarcanum

Linky.

It seems that the "three hours early" deal is now confirmed, as it is now officially a part of the Headstart.