Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sell me on gw2, please.

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Linkofpower

That said the lack of weapon skills beyond the 5 you have equipped (.. I would play a greatsword warrior, and would try and stick to only greatswords, /sad at only 5 abilities)

Thought this would be a problem for me too, because of all of the cooldowns. But been playing since last weeks stress tests flurry has begun (four of em now) and have to say that they balanced it quite well even for an engineer with a kit. It works out well. What makes it fun for me is the ability to use many weapons despite class (accept the engineer but that's expected due to the type of class it is). I was also playing the guardian, being a fan of paladins in WoW like i've been, it was nice to see that they took a concept and completely threw out the manual. It was so much more fun playing a guardian with a two handed mace then anything i've ever done before with that style of class.

The balance of the abilities comes from the progressive damage of each power, the buffs and debuffs they provide on the fly, and their movement enhancements. I could handle alot of enemies at once as a melee character also because everything is an AOE without having to worry about targeting. And even tho they have eliminated auto attack, they did make it possible to automate the "1" attack ability which comes in handy for those situations when you must dodge alot.

Problem is anytime I bring this up.. anywhere, I get two parties  one going "Yea, I bought it, but didn't even get to the last beta weekend, bored me." and "GW2 IS THE NEXT COMING OF JESUS" -- seeing as the latter is rabid fanboyism, and the former.. not, that worries me

I won't pretend that I'm not excited, but I'm hardly a fanatic. What they are doing with this game is a "gamechanger" for the rest of the mmo market because they've made it to basically solve every gamers issue (with the exception of open world pvp) since mmo's became popular. They paid attention particularly to why games die out after launch due to content restraints and how gamers lose interest when a game has particular items in the store. It's basically extremely well thought out.

What attracted me? No wasted monthly sub (even Trion doesn't really use this money like they should, they are good just not particularly quick in their methods of making their game more attractive imo), shop isn't P2W despite the naggings of the crazy antishop-only gamers here (most of which support games that require a sub AND a shop, go figure), and best of all no more competition for resources/mobs/xp/skills/armor it's completely what an mmo should be, cooperative. I've met some really nice people in the past few days from trying it out. I think that's the final straw for me, the community will most likely be much more mature, fun loving, and helpful then most other games because most of the immature crowd don't like this title and won't play it. 

Thanks.

• shr4pnelshr4pnel Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by Lucrecia

I'll let Alex try and convince you.

Thanks! I'm leaning towards buying the game now. Will try to find similar vids on YouTube before I make a decision this weekend.

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by clumsytoes44
    No offense, but you should really do your own research, and decide for yourself if you'll like it.

Sorry, but isn't that what he's doing by posting here..?

Just sayin....

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Alright, kind of walking into the flames on this one, but here's my situation.

for the past two years, i've just kind of /shrugged at gw2, everything they advertised? someone else had.. action combat? tera. No holy trinity? TSW, etc. but as release nears, and my wallet is looking sad,, the b2p model looks very attractive, and a quick youtube gameplay look makes it at least look.. fun.

That said the lack of weapon skills beyond the 5 you have equipped (.. I would play a greatsword warrior, and would try and stick to only greatswords, /sad at only 5 abilities)

Problem is anytime I bring this up.. anywhere, I get two parties  one going "Yea, I bought it, but didn't even get to the last beta weekend, bored me." and "GW2 IS THE NEXT COMING OF JESUS" -- seeing as the latter is rabid fanboyism, and the former.. not, that worries me.

But I also realized, my /shrugging has lead me to not really follow it.. and I don't know much about gw2, so I Thought i'd as here, maybe someone can enlighten me on the finer points, help me make hte concious decision to spend 60$ on something i'm in the dark about.

Thanks.

OP, first - your honesty is appreciated.  It's easy to take MMO gamers and put them into the "hater" and "fanboi" category.  I'ts refreshing to see that others realize that it's not quite that simple.

Ok, since I don't know you I can't be sure to bring up points that you'll appreciate, so I'll speak from my own experience.

For me the biggest issues have been:

• Time required to compete
    • Barriers to playing with others
    • Lack of interesting replayable content.

1. Time.  When I started gaming, (eons ago) I was single and had few responsibilities.  I'm married with three kids now - I just can't invenst 5+ hours every day to compete for progression/gear.  What GW2 has done is develop a game where skill is much more important that gear.  I've always been a skilled player, but that didn't matter in most MMO's - all that mattered was if I had invensted the weeks of time to get the gear, or get attuned to do content.

2. Barriers.  In the past, if a friend started playing a game that I had been playing for weeks or months, we couldn't play together.  Well, we could but I'd be wasting my time - I might as well just reroll a new character.  But then I could only really play that toon when my friend was on - again, a waste.  GW2 removes this by downleveling you to the level of the content you are playing, but still rewarding you with (mostly) level appropriate rewards.  

3. Replayable content.  My #1 issue with most MMO's is that I get bored.  They create this whole world full of content, but at max level 5% of it is actually relevent to me.  This is just silly.  In GW2 the entire world is always relevent.  Imagine in WoW if you could play through every starting zone, every quest and always have it be fun, rewarding and challenging?  What if "Loremaster" was the ultimate prize?  GW2 does this, and that sold it for me.

Those are the three points that I can think of at the moment.  I hope this helps someone.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr

for the past two years, i've just kind of /shrugged at gw2, everything they advertised? someone else had.. action combat? tera. No holy trinity? TSW, etc. but as release nears, and my wallet is looking sad,, the b2p model looks very attractive, and a quick youtube gameplay look makes it at least look.. fun.

Problem is anytime I bring this up.. anywhere, I get two parties  one going "Yea, I bought it, but didn't even get to the last beta weekend, bored me." and "GW2 IS THE NEXT COMING OF JESUS" -- seeing as the latter is rabid fanboyism, and the former.. not, that worries me.

But I also realized, my /shrugging has lead me to not really follow it.. and I don't know much about gw2, so I Thought i'd as here, maybe someone can enlighten me on the finer points, help me make hte concious decision to spend 60$ on something i'm in the dark about.

Thanks.

OP, first - your honesty is appreciated.  It's easy to take MMO gamers and put them into the "hater" and "fanboi" category.  I'ts refreshing to see that others realize that it's not quite that simple.

Ok, since I don't know you I can't be sure to bring up points that you'll appreciate, so I'll speak from my own experience.

For me the biggest issues have been:

• Time required to compete
    • Barriers to playing with others
    • Lack of interesting replayable content.

1. Time.  When I started gaming, (eons ago) I was single and had few responsibilities.  I'm married with three kids now - I just can't invenst 5+ hours every day to compete for progression/gear.  What GW2 has done is develop a game where skill is much more important that gear.  I've always been a skilled player, but that didn't matter in most MMO's - all that mattered was if I had invensted the weeks of time to get the gear, or get attuned to do content.

2. Barriers.  In the past, if a friend started playing a game that I had been playing for weeks or months, we couldn't play together.  Well, we could but I'd be wasting my time - I might as well just reroll a new character.  But then I could only really play that toon when my friend was on - again, a waste.  GW2 removes this by downleveling you to the level of the content you are playing, but still rewarding you with (mostly) level appropriate rewards.  

3. Replayable content.  My #1 issue with most MMO's is that I get bored.  They create this whole world full of content, but at max level 5% of it is actually relevent to me.  This is just silly.  In GW2 the entire world is always relevent.  Imagine in WoW if you could play through every starting zone, every quest and always have it be fun, rewarding and challenging?  What if "Loremaster" was the ultimate prize?  GW2 does this, and that sold it for me.

Those are the three points that I can think of at the moment.  I hope this helps someone.

+1 very well put and as someone who still can put in 5+ hours a day I find these points viable.

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

So how does no kill stealing works? Say I'm working on a mob and it's down to 40% HP and some other guy joins me, do we both get the full XP or what?

Also, are there training dummies for PvE and PvP?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by shr4pnel

So how does no kill stealing works? Say I'm working on a mob and it's down to 40% HP and some other guy joins me, do we both get the full XP or what?

Yes and yes. And full loot for both as well to the first question.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591
    You can play as a salad. That sold me.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Essentially, yes. The best example I can come up with is to think of it as being in a group. When you're in a group in other games, there is no kill stealing and everyone shares XP and loot. Same thing here. You're basically in a soft group with everyone around you with one major difference being that everyone gets their own loot.

I'm not sure about the training dummies. I've seen them but I don't remember if they are usable or not.

• LifeEnderLifeEnder Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I bought it yesterday just to stress test because i was bored . Im sold .
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I would lOve some training dummies, spent a lot of hours at them in wow, and that was with just 2 builds lol

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

One more question---is there a LFG option? This is the #1 reason why I stopped playing SWTOR. It was just a pain to get a group going.

Also, no cofirmation on training dummies?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

One more question---is there a LFG option? This is the #1 reason why I stopped playing SWTOR. It was just a pain to get a group going.

Also, no cofirmation on training dummies?

There are training dummies in the Mists that I saw. There are likely more elsewhere.

There is no LFG as far as I know, but groups don't require healers or tanks or anything really. You can just get any 5 people to go which makes it easier to form groups. 

I hope they make a group finder as well though.

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by sammyeli
    Originally posted by redfrick
    Originally posted by Redemp

-- I also made the mistake of listening to a touch of your youtube link, what a complete mosh of misinformation. The people doing that podcast shouldn't be gaming, at all.

+1  Not only should they not be gaming but they shouldn't own computers.  What complete non-sense.

I just watched that(not all of it just here and there) but LOL the conversations taht they are having, its amazing how fast they will rage quit the first week out. I mean all the guy was sayign is we are going to face roll you in WvW. LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOL

10mins of my life I will never get back, thanks Redemp for pointing it out to me.

Though it was funny when he metioned spending hundreds of dollars in the CS and then saying how much the game sucked and people that play it are stupid.

• ChillwolfChillwolf Member Posts: 33

Do some research and formulate your own opinion on the game. 

I could give you my opinion but like they say opinions are like butt holes, we all have them and they all stink. 

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    Originally posted by Chillwolf

Do some research and formulate your own opinion on the game. 

I could give you my opinion but like they say opinions are like butt holes, we all have them and they all stink. 

Worst.Overused.Expression.Ever.Fact.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Thanks.

Let's start with holy trinity and clear some mistakes on your behalf, TSW does have trinity, there's tanks, DD's and healers, you cannot possibly complete a dungeon with 5 DD's, that's just not possible.

If you are thinking of playing with JUST the GS, then you're "playing it wrong", because weapon swapping is an integral part of the combat system

The "next coming of jesus" is clearly fanboyism and comments/reviews from those people should be disregarded as any fanboyish reviews/comments should regardless of the game in question.

What i think (as i've played since BWE2) is that GW2 is not trying reinvent the wheel, but rather "polishing" it, just like WoW did back in 2004, it took alot of great ideas from older MMORPG's and just honed them to perfection, thus the success.

What i see with GW2, is that Anet took the same approach towards some "newer" ideas from other MMORPG's such as public quests (from WAR), rifts (from Rift, duh) etc and just honed them to be MORE and polished, and the world just feels so much more alive, than any previous MMO-worlds i've come across + there's World v world, which is just a blast.

They also did away with the stagnant combat of current generation of MMO's where you stand in one place exchanging blows with the enemies and mashing tens upon tens of buttons untill one or the other fall down flat, with that away, the combat is more "demanding" and interactive now.

This'd be a wall if i went more into details, but that's my "short version"... as to selling it to you... don't think its my job, but i can say that im enjoying it and the combat is more fun compared to other MMO's i've played in the 21st century and i've played pretty much every MMO since EQ.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • VladrielVladriel Member Posts: 46

Thanks.

I don't know why you think you need more than five skills.. You also have utility skills to use as well and those 10 skills is all you need. You  have more than that depending on the next weapon you have to swap out and with other weapons your profession can use. One thing you need to do. if you played wow or any other mmo.. Leave all that on a coat hanger outside  the door and look at GW2 with a different presepctive. You will not be able to play this game like you do those. Here are some links for you to start reading. 

Read everything In The Game and watch all the Videos in the Media tab

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/

Go here to the GW2wiki and read, read and read.. It if filled with a lot of info. It will explain the renown hearts to the dynamic events, the combat you name it. 

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

Youtube videos

What Race will you choose videos

Humans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvQrBw8l75Q&feature=g-u-u

Norn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=2hjPUDRBN-8

Sylvari 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=QB5CNbadRAc

Asura

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_736255&feature=iv&src_vid=QB5CNbadRAc&v=AumcC43-8Jg

Charr

Not one for the charr yet.

Other Information Videos

GetBonked Playlist

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAF4ABE5041FBB51D&feature=plcp

(Keep in mind that some things in these videos might have changed)

Leveling Too Slow? - Enigmius Talks Guild Wars 2 (beta)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g36woC3LJ8Y&feature=plcp

(he explains how the dynamic events work very well)

Guild Wars 2 Complete Beginner Crafting Guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFU_b4e2bxU&feature=plcp

Guild Wars 2: Crafting Guide Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry3Ddw6Gqmo&feature=plcp

Guild Wars 2 Crafting Guide Part 3: Cooking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpPWp1Yh_30&feature=relmfu

5 Major Reasons Guild Wars 2 is Different - Enigmius Talks Guild Wars 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC_2zaiVSzc&feature=plcp

Surviving Tyria: Beginner's Guide to Mobility - Enigmius Talks Guild Wars 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUKWeaXZeOY&feature=plcp

GW2 Is Different | Learn to Adapt

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA7B40B61702C1728&feature=plcp

Ok, here ya go. I hope you find this helpful, but it all comes down to you actually forming your own opinion on the game. The best thing is if you have a friend who is gonna play GW2 is to ask if you can make a character just to try it out for a day and ask for his/her help and explain what is going on. 

Vladriel

Let's start with holy trinity and clear some mistakes on your behalf, TSW does have trinity, there's tanks, DD's and healers, you cannot possibly complete a dungeon with 5 DD's, that's just not possible.

If you are thinking of playing with JUST the GS, then you're "playing it wrong", because weapon swapping is an integral part of the combat system

The "next coming of jesus" is clearly fanboyism and comments/reviews from those people should be disregarded as any fanboyish reviews/comments should regardless of the game in question.

What i think (as i've played since BWE2) is that GW2 is not trying reinvent the wheel, but rather "polishing" it, just like WoW did back in 2004, it took alot of great ideas from older MMORPG's and just honed them to perfection, thus the success.

What i see with GW2, is that Anet took the same approach towards some "newer" ideas from other MMORPG's such as public quests (from WAR), rifts (from Rift, duh) etc and just honed them to be MORE and polished, and the world just feels so much more alive, than any previous MMO-worlds i've come across + there's World v world, which is just a blast.

They also did away with the stagnant combat of current generation of MMO's where you stand in one place exchanging blows with the enemies and mashing tens upon tens of buttons untill one or the other fall down flat, with that away, the combat is more "demanding" and interactive now.

This'd be a wall if i went more into details, but that's my "short version"... as to selling it to you... don't think its my job, but i can say that im enjoying it and the combat is more fun compared to other MMO's i've played in the 21st century and i've played pretty much every MMO since EQ.

Correction.. Arenanet did not take anything from Rift.  GW2 was well into development when I found Rifts homepage while they were still developing Rift. Even the homepage was still under construction. 

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Originally posted by Flex1

Thanks.

The game requires no monthly fee. $0 monthly fee. No pagas mensual para jugarlo.

You can expect support from Arena.net for this game for years and good balance.

There is no monthly fee.

Did I forget anything?

Psst.  No monthly fee. ;)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Only reason i picked this up was because my guild are going to be playing it, I find the ame pretty boring tell ya the truth and i really cant see waht all the hype its about after testing it over a few weekends it just felt like any other fantast MMORPG..

But still i got it so i could jump on a game and keep in touch with my current guild until DF2.0 comes out, but i cant see GW2 lasting too lnog some of them are already getting bored of it and have stopped logging ni for the stress tests...

Also there was no way i was paying the silly prices they are asking on their website here in the UK so i got it from an online retailer at nearly half the price.

Sure its b2p but its supported by a cash shop, sure its optional but they are going to have things in there that people will want to buy as they have to make money.. not pay to win stuff but usefull stuff either way.. I guess they are hoping most will spend a similar amount in the shop as they would if paying a sub fee..

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

Sell you GW2 you say? Okay...

THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO PLAY.

Cheers.

Originally posted by Redemp
    Originally posted by mmoluva
    Population is the only reason you should need and the only reason the game has to offer.

Not sure what you mean by this, but it will have a nice population.

-- I also made the mistake of listening to a touch of your youtube link, what a complete mosh of misinformation. The people doing that podcast shouldn't be gaming, at all.

What little I listened to they are griefers.. They get into games just to grief others. And you are right they shouldn't be gaming. 

• dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134
    What is GW2?

- it's the idea that you see another player and immediately think "yay!".  Not a SWTOR-style "omg, there are people on this server! yay!"... instead it's a genuine belief that either he/she will help you, or you will help them to achieve their goal.  Because essentially it doesn't matter what the goal is - everyone wants to achieve it.

- it's the idea that you start in town and decide to walk to another town, 30 minutes later you discover that you're now on the wrong side of the map and you can't even remember all the crazy stuff you've done in the last 30 minutes o_O.

- it's the idea that if you don't need to find all the question marks, share quests, or find the guy who gave you the quest, or look back through your quest log... it's just "run around and do stuff which is fun".  If it ain't fun - don't do it.

- it's the idea that you don't get randomly invited to join quests, and you don't run around trying to find people to randomly invite to join quests.  You don't sit around with 3 dps waiting for a healer, and you don't have to logout and switch to the character you hate because 'someone has to do it'.

Mostly, it's a 'safari park' as opposed to a themepark.  The rules are less strict, the park is chaotic and a bit unpredictable, people aren't standing in zig-zag lines, they aren't rushing from ride to ride, the rides aren't clearly marked and you could be flattened by a stray rhino...

Is it a great MMO?  I don't know, I don't think any of us can know at this stage, but imho it's certainly worth the price of admission to find out for yourself.