Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Region Locking Gone?

orator1970orator1970 GenovaPosts: 112Member

ANet has just updated their support section on regional designations.

Guild Wars 2 Beta Support | Regional Designations FAQ

I travel frequently. Will I be able to play Guild Wars 2?

Yes. The one-time verification system simply confirms that you have purchased the correct version of the game for your area of the world. Once that has been confirmed, you may play from any location you desire.

Does this means they have done away with region locking?

Comments

• OldManFunkOldManFunk BFE, KSPosts: 894Member

Yes.

"After you successfully register your Guild Wars 2 account, it becomes a global account.  You can roam to any part of the world and still access the game."

• yaoming36yaoming36 None of your damn business, INPosts: 189Member Uncommon

There was no region lock to begin with... The only reason they advice you to register with your current region is so that your connection goes thru the reginal data center rather than one half way across the world possibly making you lag. 

You can choose any world to play in, that doesn't matter. All it matters is that you buy the correct copy for your region

• fiontarfiontar Dana, MAPosts: 3,719Member

That's very good news indeed.

The region check is to ensure players buy for the region to which they register the game. This is mostly to benefit vendors in the player's region and to assure that people don't try to skirt taxation by going outside their country.

If you managed to successfully apply a code to your account, then you are now good to go, even if you play from a different region than the one you registered the game in.

We still also have the ability to chose a data center outside our region when we log in to chose our home server. US players can chose to play on EU servers and vice versa.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• orator1970orator1970 GenovaPosts: 112Member
    Originally posted by yaoming36

There was no region lock to begin with... The only reason they advice you to register with your current region is so that your connection goes thru the reginal data center rather than one half way across the world possibly making you lag. 

You can choose any world to play in, that doesn't matter. All it matters is that you buy the correct copy for your region

But if you were to move to another region you were unable to play with the copy purchased from your previous location. I call that region locking?

• ajayazirajayazir RC, BCPosts: 108Member
    Chinese or Koreans will rule this land of GW2!!! They'll have colleges for it fo sho!!!
  • laokokolaokoko TaipeiPosts: 2,003Member
    Originally posted by ajayazir
    Chinese or Koreans will rule this land of GW2!!! They'll have colleges for it fo sho!!!

Koreans probably goign to win all the pvp tournament etc.  They always have.

• gessekai332gessekai332 New York City, NYPosts: 854Member Uncommon
    region locking is stupid. ever since they invented that garbage i can never play with my friends from europe anymore.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• KrossliteKrosslite Folsom, PAPosts: 317Member
    Originally posted by orator1970

But if you were to move to another region you were unable to play with the copy purchased from your previous location. I call that region locking?

This will happen once the server populations settle down, until then they are allowing you to transfer freely.

Once the settle they side they would then switch to the gem store and once a week

A MMO is like life. It is something to cherish and enjoy upon in it journey. So why race to the end of it. In life at the end you die.

Originally posted by swordmark45

This will happen once the server populations settle down, until then they are allowing you to transfer freely.

Once the settle they side they would then switch to the gem store and once a week

I was talking region locking as in before if i were to purchase the game in Asia for example  i was able to play only from that region so if i were to phisically move to Europe and wanted to login with the copy purchased in Asia I would have been unable to do so, now this seems to be gone. I know this because i had to contact customer support many times due to fact that i was purchasing the game in one region but with the CC of another.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,065Member Uncommon

While you can play from any place in the world, you can only connect to the datacenter you registered your game with.

So EU players can play on EU serv ers from the US, and US players can play on US servers from US, thats how they explained it would work. And it makes the statement that you can play from anywhere in the world still valid.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Just to clarify: from  ANet Facebook account

https://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/posts/10150698525259209?__adt=3&__att=iframe

"Is my copy of Guild Wars 2 tied to my region?

Yes. To play from North America you must purchase a North American copy of the game. To play from Europe you must purchase a European copy of the game. Note that this restriction impacts where you can play from, not which game worlds you can choose to play on. By purchasing the correct copy of the game, you're supporting the game in your country, and you'll be connecting to your local data center, using your local customer support team, and downloading the correct language support for your country."

Now this does not seem to apply any longer ie you can play from anywhere in the world regardless of where you purchased the game in the first place.

• WeretigarWeretigar winifrede, WVPosts: 609Member

https://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/posts/10150698525259209?__adt=3&__att=iframe

Yes. To play from North America you must purchase a North American copy of the game. To play from Europe you must purchase a European copy of the game. Note that this restriction impacts where you can play from, not which game worlds you can choose to play on.

By purchasing the correct copy of the game, you're supporting the game in your country, and you'll be connecting to your local data center, using your local customer support team, and downloading the correct language support for your country."

Now this does not seem to apply any longer ie you can play from anywhere regardless of where you purchased the game in the first place.

I think gw2 is trying to say they are no blacklisting other countries ips like other games do so if I personally buy the game which i have then goto idk wtf china for real home made general tso's chicken i can still connect to my server and play from asia? Which is how i read it first

Originally posted by Weretigar

Yes. To play from North America you must purchase a North American copy of the game. To play from Europe you must purchase a European copy of the game. Note that this restriction impacts where you can play from, not which game worlds you can choose to play on.

By purchasing the correct copy of the game, you're supporting the game in your country, and you'll be connecting to your local data center, using your local customer support team, and downloading the correct language support for your country."

Now this does not seem to apply any longer ie you can play from anywhere regardless of where you purchased the game in the first place.

I think gw2 is trying to say they are no blacklisting other countries ips like other games do so if I personally buy the game which i have then goto idk wtf china for real home made general tso's chicken i can still connect to my server and play from asia? Which is how i read it first

Yes before you could play on any server but you had to play the game from an IP that was based in the region from which you purchased the game. This was extremely limiting to people such as the ones serving in the military or frequent travellers for example as if they were posted/working abroad and outside the region from where they purchased the game they would not have been able to login.

• ajayazirajayazir RC, BCPosts: 108Member
    Originally posted by laokoko
    Originally posted by ajayazir

Koreans probably goign to win all the pvp tournament etc.  They always have.

Yup... I remember that feeling in the old GW... pvp starts and you see KOR names... and that's GG!

I'm going to love eating dirt everytime I see these guys again ;D