Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best "truly" F2P MMORPG choice right now is...

2»

Comments

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    SWTOR
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Aion, Vanguard and DCUO.  Although I would argue they are for vastly different audiences.
  • comrademariocomrademario Member Posts: 98

"Any F2P MMORPG that requires any purchase to access it or its future content, expansions, patches doesn't belong here."

If that's the criteria I'd suggest you check out one of the most argued against AAA MMOs out there, Allods Online.

I wasn't playing when the patch that set the game back hit so can't comment, I'm told it was pretty terrible and by the sounds of it it was, but I am playing now and don't find it too P2W, particularly on the EU version (have a friend playing on the NA version and they have a few extra power items that EU didn't introduce). Granted you can still get some power items in the CS so that will make it fully P2W for some, but judging purely on your OP I'd suggest checking that out as you don't have to pay a cent to get to end game and you won't ever be barred from future expansions. You will need to pay if you want to take on the top players though, the ones who are top players and didn't pay for it have been playing and grinding for two years now.

• VermilioNomyVermilioNomy Member Posts: 32

I'd definitly suggest Lineage 2 since it switched "recently" to F2P after all those years.

Aion is a choice as well but I didn't enjoy it at all myself(because of the questing and huge grind).

Cabal Online was a nice experience for me as well which is also completely free.

Eden Eternal was a blast for a short while, but I got bored pretty fast with it.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Vannor

FTP Sandbox?

Wurm Online is probably the sandiest sandbox out there:

http://www.wurmonline.com/

I mean this is THE sandbox. Those people that 'think' they like sandbox.. but really like sandbox/themepark hybrid, will not like this game.

Other games to look at are:

nice list. what are the sandbox elements of IoW?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540

Not sure if it was mentioned:

Istaria:chronicles of the gifted

Graphic may not be super-mega. All content available to paying and free customers. Only difference is that f2p play only Human race and cannot buy land plots.

• cheachancheachan Member Posts: 122
    Best for me would be Granado Espada

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Allods, Forsaken World, Champions, Star Trek, Runes of Magic.... that about sums it up if you looking for high quality, free content MMOs.

There are plenty of average free to play games out there, but those five are the highest quality ones.

Every other subscripion to free to play converted MMO requires the purchase of content.

Also, keep in mind that pay to win is only relevant if in any MMO if you plan to PvP heavily. Regardless of the MMO, you should avoid caring about what others do in PvE as it does not directly affect you. Mindset is very important in free to play games, playing for your own enjoyment should be what matters the most, not what others are doing.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by bobfish

Also, keep in mind that pay to win is only relevant if in any MMO if you plan to PvP heavily. Regardless of the MMO, you should avoid caring about what others do in PvE as it does not directly affect you. Mindset is very important in free to play games, playing for your own enjoyment should be what matters the most, not what others are doing.

P2W is a business model and not a state of mind.

I do agree that how a player approaches a P2W game is very important.