Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P not very attractive for ex-players..

Comments

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195
    Originally posted by Thillian

How the **** is this a trial, or IN WHAT SENSE it is not a FREE TO PLAY.

All dungeons are FREE, all raids, all quests are FREE, all zones are FREE, all levels are FREE, you can go anywhere and play as long as you like without spending a single cent.

It is if you want to become more powerful and use higher level items, you have to pay. That doesn't mean you can't do the same content with a bit worse gear IF you're so CHEAP that you are not willing to spend 2$ to unlock 5 items.

"All dungeons are FREE", except you're gear sucks and you can't go to top tier without feeling millstone around the neck.

"all quests are FREe", except you have to pay to use your quest reward

"you can go anywhere and play as long as you like without spending a single cent.", except high level dungeons because of the gear...

By your definition, any demo can be called 'free to play'. You just have to not be gimped.

Vanguard is a paytrap. Remember, nobody asked for VG to be f2p. They did this themselves. They probably wanted more money or wanted populated servers. Neither will be achieved with this horrendous system

• gw1228gw1228 Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by Portland
    Originally posted by tank017
    Lol,companies are going to try and make a buck somehow.no mmo will ever truly be free

Wrong, 

AION is completly free, no need to buy anything........ 

And so is Guild Wars 2

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

Originally posted by vgamer
    Originally posted by Thillian How the **** is this a trial, or IN WHAT SENSE it is not a FREE TO PLAY. All dungeons are FREE, all raids, all quests are FREE, all zones are FREE, all levels are FREE, you can go anywhere and play as long as you like without spending a single cent. It is if you want to become more powerful and use higher level items, you have to pay. That doesn't mean you can't do the same content with a bit worse gear IF you're so CHEAP that you are not willing to spend 2$ to unlock 5 items.
    "All dungeons are FREE", except you're gear sucks and you can't go to top tier without feeling millstone around the neck.

"all quests are FREe", except you have to pay to use your quest reward

"you can go anywhere and play as long as you like without spending a single cent.", except high level dungeons because of the gear...

By your definition, any demo can be called 'free to play'. You just have to not be gimped.

Vanguard is a paytrap. Remember, nobody asked for VG to be f2p. They did this themselves. They probably wanted more money or wanted populated servers. Neither will be achieved with this horrendous system

So you are expecting a game to play on that doesn't try to make some money, to pay for maintenance, servers, a little profit?

Exactly what world have you been living in?

Free is an illusion. Not even Linux stands for free, it stands for freedom, much like Vanguard.

Please tell me of something that is completely free? There isn't. They either have ads or sell on your details or you buy something, there is always something, there is always a catch, at least VG tells you up front.

Free to Play (F2P) means you can play it without paying a dime, this is very true of VG. If you want to pick up epic gear or have things more useful or helpful, then you pay but you don't need them to play...

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

well yes i can use my old L50 characters, i can use all the items on my characters

but i cant ever buy and use new items from the auction house or use the loot i find if its better than Green Items.  Almost every Item in the Auction house is RED and not useable for my characters....

They want me to either pay for a subscrition or an unlocker ? Nah this is not Free to play.

This Free to play Model is far to limited , its another free Trial as usual for SOE. This F2P Model wont bring back VG..

VANGUARD will remain on my Harddisk as a test programm for new Hardware thats it. Thats what its good for as F2P...

VANGUARD is still PAY TO PLAY because no one will ever reach level 50 in this F2P Model with fun...... 

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ SOE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

p.s Vanguard F2P is still neat for some Sightseeing to show some friends the nice Grafics.

That sounds a lot like when they made EQ2 freemium. They forced people to pay to unlock classes and races people got in expansions they paid for meaning they force you to pay twice for the same content.

I quit when I heard they were making the game F2P and how.

It might be fine for people who are new and never played their games though but for old players it means you will have to pay more now than you did when the game was P2P, not less as many people seems to think.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by Loke666

well yes i can use my old L50 characters, i can use all the items on my characters

but i cant ever buy and use new items from the auction house or use the loot i find if its better than Green Items.  Almost every Item in the Auction house is RED and not useable for my characters....

They want me to either pay for a subscrition or an unlocker ? Nah this is not Free to play.

This Free to play Model is far to limited , its another free Trial as usual for SOE. This F2P Model wont bring back VG..

VANGUARD will remain on my Harddisk as a test programm for new Hardware thats it. Thats what its good for as F2P...

VANGUARD is still PAY TO PLAY because no one will ever reach level 50 in this F2P Model with fun...... 

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ SOE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

p.s Vanguard F2P is still neat for some Sightseeing to show some friends the nice Grafics.

That sounds a lot like when they made EQ2 freemium. They forced people to pay to unlock classes and races people got in expansions they paid for meaning they force you to pay twice for the same content.

I quit when I heard they were making the game F2P and how.

It might be fine for people who are new and never played their games though but for old players it means you will have to pay more now than you did when the game was P2P, not less as many people seems to think.

Um...prior to F2P players who were still playing were paying a regular $15 a month subscription.  That option still exists with the F2P version and offers everything the previous P2P version did.  How exactly did the change for VG effect people who were/are willing to pay a regular subscription?

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

Originally posted by miguksaram
    Originally posted by Loke666 Originally posted by Portland well yes i can use my old L50 characters, i can use all the items on my characters but i cant ever buy and use new items from the auction house or use the loot i find if its better than Green Items.  Almost every Item in the Auction house is RED and not useable for my characters.... They want me to either pay for a subscrition or an unlocker ? Nah this is not Free to play. This Free to play Model is far to limited , its another free Trial as usual for SOE. This F2P Model wont bring back VG.. VANGUARD will remain on my Harddisk as a test programm for new Hardware thats it. Thats what its good for as F2P... VANGUARD is still PAY TO PLAY because no one will ever reach level 50 in this F2P Model with fun......  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ SOE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ p.s Vanguard F2P is still neat for some Sightseeing to show some friends the nice Grafics.
    That sounds a lot like when they made EQ2 freemium. They forced people to pay to unlock classes and races people got in expansions they paid for meaning they force you to pay twice for the same content. I quit when I heard they were making the game F2P and how. It might be fine for people who are new and never played their games though but for old players it means you will have to pay more now than you did when the game was P2P, not less as many people seems to think.
    Um...prior to F2P players who were still playing were paying a regular $15 a month subscription.  That option still exists with the F2P version and offers everything the previous P2P version did.  How exactly did the change for VG effect people who were/are willing to pay a regular subscription?

I agree and no body is "forcing" you to play, lol never heard such hard times...

If you don't like the payment model, find a game that you like.

Can't believe how many people want every thing free and are not willing to pay for anything, then wonder why there aren't any decent games they can play. Well its because the games industry is not a charity.

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Please, these QQ threads are getting old. VG, a commercial product, has systems in place that try to generate money - get over it already.

I still don't understand why so many people think a service like an MMO should be 100% free. Do you guys walk into shops and restaurants expecting free dinners and free clothes? Sure, I admit that ideally I would prefer it that way too, but sadly we live in a capitalist world. If you want totally free things to do, try something else than entertainment consumption.

Also, I feel sorry for those who still haven't figured out that "free to play" never means "100% free for everyone without restrictions". I'm sure it hurts to have your entitlement illusions shattered, but just try to remember that someone else is paying for your gameplay whenever you play a game like Aion, and I'm sure you'll feel a lot better.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

While I realize it's only the majority of the vocal community that this next comment is referring to and that is by and large a small portion of the overall community as a whole I feel it still needs to be said.

Since when has it EVER been acceptable to expect welfare, AKA free hand outs, to not have limits?  If you can afford to play PC games you can afford to cough up some cash to support a game you like.  Hell even console games, typically considered a cheaper gaming option, cost cash even if you are only renting them via a service like Gamefly.

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463

its easy to predict that Vanguard will raise its player base for a few weeks then loose it again.

This F2P Model isnt and wont be the solution to Vanguards playerbase problems. Its to restricted and has nothing to do with "FREE" to play.

Sooner or later you need Orange or Better Items.........

Its just another Trial in another form.... thats a fact

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

its easy to predict that Vanguard will raise its player base for a few weeks then loose it again.

This F2P Model isnt and wont be the solution to Vanguards playerbase problems. Its to restricted and has nothing to do with "FREE" to play.

I couldn't agree more. The fact you can level to 50 for free using blue or worse drops is irrelevant. Part of playing a MMORPG is the loot. Why else have it in the game. So you can unlock the slots for 50 cents (how many slots does a character have?) is not a good solution either. You have 10 - 12 slots to unlock on 1 character. If you play alts.. again how many are there? and it's 10 - 12 slots to unlock on each (that's just for adventuring) the price suddenly doesn't look so attractive. It's forever you say? .. I don't play MMOs forever and there is no garuntee this game will be around forever, so a forever deal is a good deal for SoE, not so much for me.  

Seriously I couldn't play ANY MMORPG without gear progression and I certainly couldn't play one where I only had the option of only playing 1 or two different choices. So the pricing scheme sucks for this player.

I would gladly pay money to unlock a whole host of other things, since I don't want or expect a free ride (I've been known to spend money on item shops before) but item locks is the most idiotic thing I've seen in a long time

Then it's 15 bucks for a gold membership. Are they nuts?. The people playing prior to the convertion will not care because they have been paying 15 forever and consider this a good deal but for me, this should be a 9 or 10 bucks at most and even that is a bit high.

F2P is suppose to bring people into the game who doesn't want to pay 15 a month. Not to lure people into the game who never heard of it before because that ship has long since sailed. 

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Vanguard f2p model is a strange one but not very restrictive imo. With a healthy pop, this game is worth a sub. If you enjoy the game why not sub. The small team behind this game wants it to survive and expand, as do I. If you dont like just move on, pls.
    Originally posted by Aquazen
     just move on, pls.

And I suspect most will. Enjoy your continuing low pop

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Starpower
     just move on, pls.

And there we have it. Haters gonna hate. Have fun with your mmo Starpower. I do however suspect that you cant enjoy it and thus sitting on forums and nag about others enjoyment. 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Vanguard f2p model is a strange one but not very restrictive imo. With a healthy pop, this game is worth a sub. If you enjoy the game why not sub. The small team behind this game wants it to survive and expand, as do I. If you dont like just move on, pls.

It seems like some people are looking to find fault with the F2P model as half of the arguments are about walls the player won't hit for 20 or 30 levels. At that point, if a person has played 20 or 30 levels of Vanguard for free (and 30 levels in VG is a lot longer than 30 levels in LOTRO, WOW or most other MMOs) and has a problem with spending maybe a dollar or two a month now and then after that, then it's not a problem with F2P, but a problem with an odd sense of entitlement.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

just move on, pls.

This Just move on attitude is why Vanguard has languished for so long as a subpar MMO

who barely retains any players and the long time veterans who keep paying these 15 per month sub fees

but like you say "enjoy your continuing low pop" I logged on yesterday and it's still very unpopulated last

I heard on Telon the count was close to 1000 players sure didn't feel like it while I was online and I was 

teleporting all over the place.  This is truly Vanguard's last hurrah we are probably witnessing here the end

of Vanguard SOE needs to change their pricing model a bit to attract more players.   What's going to happen 

when F2P players refuse to do dungeons because the loot wont be accessible to them?  F2P players are

in the game to spend little cash and populate the servers SOE thats basic F2P protocol ....who the hell is 

making the calls overthere????????????????

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by tank017
    Lol,companies are going to try and make a buck somehow.no mmo will ever truly be free

Wrong, 

AION is completly free, no need to buy anything........ 

And how is that going for them? They made less money than they wanted, sales are down.

How are game companies going to keep the doors open?

Or is it ok for a small amount of people to support the game habits of a larger group?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Vanguard needs a silver account like EQ2's. Simple as that.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    A lot of misinformation here.   They have said almost all quest rewards can be used by f2p no matter the quality and I leveled from 1-30 and almost every blue item i seen was useable by f2p.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Portland Originally posted by tank017 Lol,companies are going to try and make a buck somehow.no mmo will ever truly be free
    Wrong,  AION is completly free, no need to buy anything........ 
    And how is that going for them? They made less money than they wanted, sales are down.

How are game companies going to keep the doors open?

Or is it ok for a small amount of people to support the game habits of a larger group?

And they still probably made 1,000 times more money during the quarter than Vanguard.

This is Vanguard's last desperate attempt to stay alive. Tacking on a half-assed extended free trial isnt going to keep the doors open.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

The more I read about it in this topic the more I feel  this is a perfect Free to Play MMORPG. Meaning in other MMORPG you can buy stuff in item shops that are not ingame, here it actually works so nice that things you can buy you can already gain from just a sub and actually playing the game. And lets face it subfee is so incredible cheap that no one should have to worry and if people do worry about 15€/$ then it's safe to say they should seek either another hobby or simple be a gamer and choose another game that IS fun to you.

Originally posted by Reklaw.

lets face it subfee is so incredible cheap that no one should have to worry and if people do worry about 15€/$ then it's safe to say they should seek either another hobby or simple be a gamer and choose another game that IS fun to you.

Dumbest thing I've read all week. Obviously the value of 15 bucks varies from game to game depending on what you feel you get for your money

Or put in another way. 10 bucks isn't a lot of money. I can wipe my arse with it and not care. That doesn't mean I want to pay 10 bucks for lets say .. a soda

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Its the word "FREE" that makes me mad, its a Fraud

They arent saying the truth, people think they start playing for free then suddenly they have to pay for a Level 7 item to unlock...

TANSTAAFL!!!

Oh look, a store. Go buy a clue!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Reklaw.

lets face it subfee is so incredible cheap that no one should have to worry and if people do worry about 15€/$ then it's safe to say they should seek either another hobby or simple be a gamer and choose another game that IS fun to you.

Dumbest thing I've read all week. Obviously the value of 15 bucks varies from game to game depending on what you feel you get for your money

Or put in another way. 10 bucks isn't a lot of money. I can wipe my arse with it and not care. That doesn't mean I want to pay 10 bucks for lets say .. a soda

Sorry? okay perhaps I am somewhat naieve to think that people will only spend money on things they like or feel worth it, if a game is not worth it simply don't play?

Originally posted by William12
    A lot of misinformation here.   They have said almost all quest rewards can be used by f2p no matter the quality and I leveled from 1-30 and almost every blue item i seen was useable by f2p.

Blue items have been lifted I have started doing the banisher's questline for crafters and so far I have received like 12 "gold" "orange" items that I can't use atleast they can give us options   this or that............this game needs a middle ground F2P matrix or it's gonna die...this is just one big experiment for SONY....right around the corner is 

GUILD WARS 2 massive mmo that offers all content with a ONE box purchase which is like

100 times better than Vanguard.   I dont' know what they were thinking or they didn't realize that ANET was going to release Guild Wars 2 in August thats like David and GOliath....okay most people probably can afford a pay and a not pay mmo but which MMO are most players going to play come August 25th....yah I thought so.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Much ado about Nothing. 

Vanguard is a game that was not designed for FTP, so any adaption is going to run up against some snags.   Personally, I think the devs have handled it very well.  You can play pretty much everything in the game.  No, you can't be cutting edge minimaxed that way, but them's the breaks.  They have to pay salaries there too.   Throwing a few dollars  every so often at a game you enjoy is not some heinous crime against nature.  If that raises your ire too much, the door is thataway.  ----->  

Your expectations have gotten in the way of clear vision, imo.

I know I am back, and putting a decent amount of time on my old alts.  My main problem is trying to remember how to do everything well and get my control chops back.   

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.