Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn at Gamescom

Comments

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Originally posted by Netspook

Originally posted by smokedogg311
    Originally posted by UNH0LYEV1L
    There is litterally no point to play FFXIV I tried it, the control scheme is litterally the most awkward thing I have ever experienced in a video game.  The questing is also extremely boring and confusing.  Square Enix has just lost how to make good final fantasy games period, let along how to make a MMORPG.

Im guesssing you played in 2010? Or maybe you didnt read anyting in the article above besides the FFXIV name? It's a new game bro, wake up its 2012 with a relaunch.

Trolls will be trolls.

He's talking about how the game IS, not how it will become in the future. And btw, 2012 brings no relaunch, that won't happen this year. Seems you're the one who didn't read the article. Hint: last paragrahp.

Trolls will indeed be trolls.

Actually, Yoshida himself has been quoted as saying "this year", on quite a few Gamescom interviews. The person this article-writer spoke to, was a peon.

Originally posted by xr00t3dx

Originally posted by AliceKaye
    Originally posted by Angier2758

Can you jump yet?

I hated the reasoning the first time around on why it wasn't included....

Yes, you can jump. The reasoning the first time was quite legitimate, their engine could not handle it. Hell, it at times has a hard time handling just loading player characters.

They have designed an engine just for the game, it now includes jump for both player characters AND mounts.

There is litterally no point to play FFXIV I tried it, the control scheme is litterally the most awkward thing I have ever experienced in a video game.  The questing is also extremely boring and confusing.  Square Enix has just lost how to make good final fantasy games period, let along how to make a MMORPG.
    Okay lets take a step back here. Did you... read the article? Oh? No? Okay, let me re-fill you in.

It's an entirely new game. This is not the same game in which you are thinking. They have completely redone it from the ground up. New engine, new graphics, new quest system, new user interface. It now plays more like the MMO's you are used to and it no longer is clunky, awkward, boring or confusing.

Hopefully bold helps you decipher the differences in the new FFXIV 2.0 A Realm Reborn - The game is entirely new. New. Different. Not what it is currently.

Happy MMOing.

You know what's not new? The company making the game. The same people that made high level mistake after mistake on every inch of the current game. What, they had some epiphany and suddenly understand they were 100% mistaken on everything they claimed was right and now they know with 100% certainty they have it right again!

You can drag that flag around with you all you want. Fool me once.. Or in your case more than once.

BTW - Any company that would build an MMO with an engine that couldn't allow jumping because the engine couldn't handle it has lost their damn mind.

BTW2 - You are gullible as hell if you REALLY think that was why. 

BTW3 - Man didn't really land on the moon.

BTW4 - Zombies are real and will soon take over the planet.

You know what, you're actually wrong. Perhaps the same COMPANY is responsible for releasing this game, however the team that is currently working on it is ENTIRELY NEW as of December 2010. The original creator of Final Fantasy XIV in it's current state was Hiromichi Tanaka. After he failed so freakin terribly at the launch of his game, he quit working for Square Enix, in fact quit working entirely because his health had taken a turn for the worse (stress perhaps) and the whole team was overhauled and they brought in Naoki Yoshida.

Tanaka would not even remotely consider any changes to his beloved failure that is FFXIV 1.0. People kept telling him that his crap stunk and he didn't believe it, so everything we had at launch was things he liked. He never saw any problems with the game.

When the game failed and they brought in Yoshida, Yoshida could tell right away what was wrong with the game, it wasn't up to par of the MMO's of today. So after trying to salvage what Tanaka had blundered, he decided he couldn't so they went about completely overhauling the game at large.

Onto your list:

BTW #1: They built FFXI on the same engine that FFXIV is built on, that game did incredibly well and is still doing quite well today, 10 years later. People weren't too happy about the lack of jump, but they got over it. I'm sure Tanaka didn't see a problem with it missing from FFXIV but clearly for the general western audience, it was a great issue, one that Yoshida fixed during his remaking of the game.

BTW #2: I don't find myself to be gullible. I read everything I can about the games I'm interested in and I make an opinion based on what there is to read. I think I'm far more informed about FFXIV and it's shortcomings and rebuildings than you are.

BTW #3: Oh, you're one of those people.

BTW #4: Hopefully you'll be eaten entirely.

• TheFirst109TheFirst109 Member UncommonPosts: 182
    The video is amazing and has me really pumped to play! The limit break the party performs at the end I'm assuming is the BLM using meteor. Looks fantastic. And the dragoon gameplay I saw definitely shows how fast paced the combat is going to be. Props to SE for taking a failed game and redoing the whole thing. It's nice to see a company take pride in their games and not try to bandage up a failed product like so many others...
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Looks great to me. I briefly tried FF beta and instantly thought it was crap so never got further than that. This looks very optimistic. I'll give it a shot when it's released.
  • DamonDamon Member UncommonPosts: 170

This game is the single worst purchase I have ever made.   I will need to see extensive video of actual gameplay, or a free trial, before I even think about trying this game again.  Chances are that I will never play it again, because I'll be playing BF3, GW2, and Firefall at some point.  If they still want to charge a subscription, it better be far superior to the non-subscription games I'm enjoying.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Im guesssing you played in 2010? Or maybe you didnt read anyting in the article above besides the FFXIV name? It's a new game bro, wake up its 2012 with a relaunch.

Trolls will be trolls.

He's talking about how the game IS, not how it will become in the future. And btw, 2012 brings no relaunch, that won't happen this year. Seems you're the one who didn't read the article. Hint: last paragrahp.

Actually, Yoshida himself has been quoted as saying "this year", on quite a few Gamescom interviews. The person this article-writer spoke to, was a peon.

Maybe they've changed the release date, it's entirely plausible given how difficult it is to remake an entire game. It wouldn't surprised me anyway considering we're already half-way through August and still haven't heard any mentions of CBT or Launch Dates since Yoshida's last comment. So...I'd suggest you tone it down a little with the "he's just a peon" remark, he probably knows a lot more of what goes on at the company than you do.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I notice that a lot of people who have been only peripherally following FFXIV, or not really following it at all, have the mistaken idea that 2.0 is just FFXIV with some of its launch issues ironed out and/or replaced.

That's really not it at all. Not by a long shot.

I can't find the reference (I'll have to edit it in once I do), but it's been noted by SE (by Naoki Yoshida, himself, if I'm not mistaken) that FFXIV 2.0, or "A Realm Reborn" as it's officially known now is (or will be, when it's released) comprised of 90% new content/data and only 10% of old content/data. Also, all the infrastructure for the game will be new - new server tech/architecture, etc. They've replaced the previous/current graphics engine with a "spin-off" of their Luminous engine, modified specifically for use in 2.0.

For all intents and purposes, it's a brand-new game. It's been an enormous undertaking for SE. Not just some token "miracle patch" that most MMO developers kick out just before, or just after, the game launches.

Dalamud crashing into Eorzea and destroying everything is as much symbolic of the change from FFXIV 1.x to 2.0 as it is a major storyline element.

Just something to keep in mind for those who may not fully appreciate or realize the scope of what SE's been up to all this time since Yoshida took over as Producer and Director of the game.

Now, whether all that time and effort and work will result in a more solid, fun and successful game remains to be seen. I'm not trying to predict either way as I'm not even prepared to make that call yet. I predicted/assumed 1.0 would be successful, and I was picking crow feathers out of my teeth for several months afterward. This time around, I'm quite cautiously optimistic. I like what I'm seeing - a lot. But then, I liked what I saw of 1.0 also. So...

Anyway, I just wanted to help lend some perspective to the situation for those who, perhaps, haven't been fully aware of all that's been going on.

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Square, the best thing you could do is never speak of this version again. Then, when it's completely finished and polished to a shine send out free 4 days beta invites and we'll be the judge. Until then it's just vapor ware and your just blowing smoke.

even if they don't give 4 days free trials out , there are already people from the ffxiv community who will be able to beta test it since legacy accounts get access to beta for ffxiv 2.0 in other words there are still going to be reviews about how the game is regardless of whether you got to try ffxiv 2.0 or not.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
            I dont know why but it feels like FFXIV doesnt want me lol....I never see any adverts for it or free trial offers.....It almost feels like its an exclusive club or something and most of us aren't invited.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Trolls will be trolls.

Maybe they've changed the release date, it's entirely plausible given how difficult it is to remake an entire game. It wouldn't surprised me anyway considering we're already half-way through August and still haven't heard any mentions of CBT or Launch Dates since Yoshida's last comment. So...I'd suggest you tone it down a little with the "he's just a peon" remark, he probably knows a lot more of what goes on at the company than you do.

I agree. And I trust this "peon" who works at SE more than this random forum troll you're quoting.

• novairinovairi Member Posts: 1

I felt this article was a little overly-pessimistic for no reason. I've been playing ffxiv for a while now, and its been a lot of fun. The content they added in the last 8 months has been especially good, I've really enjoyed the storyline that is leading towards the end of the current world.

I am psyched for this new version, the video looks especially good. As a legacy member I can't wait for beta to start.

Originally posted by novairi

I felt this article was a little overly-pessimistic for no reason. I've been playing ffxiv for a while now, and its been a lot of fun. The content they added in the last 8 months has been especially good, I've really enjoyed the storyline that is leading towards the end of the current world.

I am psyched for this new version, the video looks especially good. As a legacy member I can't wait for beta to start.

the game atm can be fun but if you already have all your jobs at cap well there is nothing for you to do except chat and make gill. i currently dont have all lvl 50 so yes i am having lots of fun in ffxiv atm. def looking forward to ffxiv 2.0. the teaser of the gameplay already caught my attention. But i wonder, when the next gameplay vid will be. i hope they show how teh new gathering system is going to be like.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

You know what's not new? The company making the game. The same people that made high level mistake after mistake on every inch of the current game. What, they had some epiphany and suddenly understand they were 100% mistaken on everything they claimed was right and now they know with 100% certainty they have it right again!

You can drag that flag around with you all you want. Fool me once.. Or in your case more than once.

BTW - Any company that would build an MMO with an engine that couldn't allow jumping because the engine couldn't handle it has lost their damn mind.

BTW2 - You are gullible as hell if you REALLY think that was why. 

BTW3 - Man didn't really land on the moon.

BTW4 - Zombies are real and will soon take over the planet.

Actually, if you followed any of the news/information you would know that the head developer made very conscious decisions which he later realized were to the detriment of the game. He stepped down and a completely different person took over with a completely different mission on what the game should be like.

So whether or not they can fulfull this new vision is one thing but they have definitely admitted their mistakes and taken steps to move the game in what they believe  should have been the "right direction".

all of this is old news.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45

some of you posters act like you know the game how it currently is but then you say that you have not subbed since launch, basically.

The game as it stands now is great and full of players. There is a lot more to do with all 50s than "chat and make gil." run dungeons, hamlet defense, skirmish, work on relics, van darnus, faction levequests, garuda, ifrit, moogle, craft. if youre just chatting and making gil then youre doing it wrong.

They have made incredible strides to fix everything. This new version is looking absolutely jaw dropping based on what they have done.

If you have not seen it, there is gameplay footage on youtube...for all of you saying "oh i need to see more than a few stills".

Also, I would like to point out that it just feels like everyone wants this game to fail for no reason. Even this article felt like it was doubtful for no reason.

2.0 is basically a whole new game and to judge something that has not even come out yet based on its predecessor is quite silly and ridiculous. While some of you may not try it without a trial or feel that it was the worst purchase you've ever made...i will be enjoying 2.0 with my name in the credits and my legacy sub fee and items.

I can't wait for SE to make all you naysayers eat your words. Call me a fan boy if you want but i have supported this game ever since yoshida took over and he and his team have come through better than any mmo dev team in the last decade.

Originally posted by kaludytk

some of you posters act like you know the game how it currently is but then you say that you have not subbed since launch, basically.

The game as it stands now is great and full of players. There is a lot more to do with all 50s than "chat and make gil." run dungeons, hamlet defense, skirmish, work on relics, van darnus, faction levequests, craft. if youre just chatting and making gil then youre doing it wrong.

They have made incredible strides to fix everything. This new version is looking absolutely jaw dropping based on what they have done.

If you have not seen it, there is gameplay footage on youtube...for all of you saying "oh i need to see more than a few stills".

Also, I would like to point out that it just feels like everyone wants this game to fail for no reason. Even this article felt like it was doubtful for no reason.

2.0 is basically a whole new game and to judge something that has not even come out yet based on its predecessor is quite silly and ridiculous. While some of you may not try it without a trial or feel that it was the worst purchase you've ever made...i will be enjoying 2.0 with my name in the credits and my legacy sub fee and items.

I can't wait for SE to make all you naysayers eat your words. Call me a fan boy if you want but i have supported this game ever since yoshida took over and he and his team have come through better than any mmo dev team in the last decade.

uhm you do know there are many people in the game that has every single best gear in the game atm, and when you have reached that peak in the game well you are left with nothing else to do except make gill,  chat and help people. there are even a few people who has full raid gear with the relic weap fully upgraded. tell me once you have all those what will you do next besides make gill, chat and help others?

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

Willing to give 2.0 a try.  My FFXIV CE demands I do.

Not turning it into X vs Y...just that with GW2 around the corner and MoP too, this has to be the worst possible time for XIV to try and push the market again.

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Damn, where does the money for this come from?
  • palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Damn what a awesome graphic
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Looks lke EA/Bioware should sit up and take note, and get busy starting again on TOR.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Looks nice, always did.

The game is built on such terrible foundations though that anyone who is excited about this should really lower their expectations and not rely on it much. They did a good job of making the original game sound like it was going to be good if you remember... what makes you think they arn't doing it again?

They should have put the resources into a completely new game and engine instead of wasting time and money on the failed one.

Plus, they are going to have to push out some really nice 'free' offers if they expect people to try it again.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

“Of course, one of the other big changes was the inclusion of a female Roegadyn and a male Miqo'te, something that offered a better sense of gender equality in the game.”

The game may R.I.P but at least they wasted money and dev time on gender equality. :)

I actually think FFXIV will be worth a go when they get to version 3.0. Version 2.0 still sounds like it needs more content.

• MoonstoneMoonstone Member UncommonPosts: 4

"The current battle system that we have right now is based on TP and the TP fills as you fight. The biggest thing that is going to be different here is that the TP guage will be full when you start combat so you can use skills and weapons right off the bat. And so, in addition to that, the combo system will change and the battles will be more action-oriented because you'll be able to use all of these things from the beginning."

FINALLY!  When they changed the battle system with patch 1.20, this issue ruined combat for both me and my husband.  We pretty much stopped playing any battle classes at this point and said this is one thing that would HAVE to change for us to come back with 2.0.  Glad they realized that not being able to actively initiate combat was a bad design.  Can't wait for more action-oriented combat!

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by Vannor

Looks nice, always did.

The game is built on such terrible foundations though that anyone who is excited about this should really lower their expectations and not rely on it much. They did a good job of making the original game sound like it was going to be good if you remember... what makes you think they arn't doing it again?

Yes, we all know the first launch off FFXIV was a failure...and SE knows that as well. From all the money and time invested in FFXIV, do you honestly think SE wants to make that same mistake twice?

They should have put the resources into a completely new game and engine instead of wasting time and money on the failed one.

From what I understand, FFXIV has been built from the ground up...Which means a new engine was built and will be implemented in "A Realm Reborn" (2.0). Many changes have been made already, checking here may help you understand a bit more.

FFXIV Lodestone

Plus, they are going to have to push out some really nice 'free' offers if they expect people to try it again.

This wouldn't be a bad idea, but FF did have a good amount of loyal fans paying their bills..

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Mundus
    Damn, where does the money for this come from?

SE have plenty of money, they churn out more games than you can point a stick at.  They have recently backed a kickstarter project for a new console that is due for release next year and is already taking pre-orders and I believe it will be released with one of the final fantasy titles, they recently in the past few days just re-release FFVII for the pc (digital) with enhanced graphics for a low sum of £7:99 for a limited period, they know how to make money without taking the pish.  SE might not have the biggest MMO on the market but they do know how to make some of the best games on the market.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

They did invest time on basically an entirely new game and they built a new engine specifically for this new version of Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 ARR. So, no more wasted time on the old engine that was, most definitely a terrible engine.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by R.I.O.T

Looks nice, always did.

Yes, we all know the first launch off FFXIV was a failure...and SE knows that as well. From all the money and time invested in FFXIV, do you honestly think SE wants to make that same mistake twice?

From what I understand, FFXIV has been built from the ground up...Which means a new engine was built and will be implemented in "A Realm Reborn" (2.0). Many changes have been made already, checking here may help you understand a bit more.

FFXIV Lodestone

This wouldn't be a bad idea, but FF did have a good amount of loyal fans paying their bills..

You are just blindly defending the game. Look at what you are saying: " New engine was built ... many changes have been made already". Right, so, what are they doing then? Injecting parts of this new engine into the old one.. right, well that's not a new engine at all then is it?

he fact of the matter is, games don't get a 'second' launch and there is nothing more to it. If they had made a new game it would have been hyped and launched just like any other MMO and everyone would have given it a chance. If they have built a new engine, which they havn't... they have only largely modified and edited the current one,  then they could have simply made a new game instead. Marketed it as new, sold it as new, called it FFXV, got it reviewed as new... but they havn't. It's like they feel they have to prove they can do it or something instead of just accepting it and moving onto bigger and better things.

My understanding isn't lacking, it's your blind fanboism that is soaring. Trust me, I want it to be good.. but even if it is, it won't get the recognition it deserves. Simples.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.