Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: EA Rumored for Sale

Comments

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Please someone buy them and then get rid of all the top management there for the sake of gaming.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

Muhahahah ! This is surely "Kane's revenge " for EA totally destroying the Command & Conquer franchise,Woot!, Kane Lives in Death !.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Only an idiot would sell out to KKR.  They specialize in dismantling companies.  Been in a couple they took apart and they don't leave very little left when they are done.  Not a big fan of EA, but if you take them apart, you are basically conceding a big part of the gaming genre to companies outside the US.

Or opening a very big door for new start ups...

Who is going to put up money for a start-up? When the big companies cannot sell themselves (Activision, EA)  and the smaller games dropping like flies or going f2p only a crazy or desparate investor is going to put up funds for a start up on the pc or console platforms. No, this is very bad news and judging from the lack of investor attention, it is going to get worse.

• VercinVercin Member UncommonPosts: 353

I guess you can't just fumble 250 million or whatever SW:TOR cost and expect it to be business as usual.

Still want my 80$ back!

The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    If EA gets bought out there's also a possibility that could go south and cause EA to close up shop, if that happens the games industry will suffer..... Badly.
  • 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by GI05 
    A journalist never reveal his/her sources. But if reported without some facts that would look bad for the journalist.

Journalists usually reveal their sources unless doing so puts the source in some sort of danger or at risk for something. Step away from the conspiracy theories.

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

• Ex0dUs101Ex0dUs101 Member UncommonPosts: 273

I dont buy EA games now, I wont buy EA games in the future, and its not because im spending any less than I ever have on games, its because EA's library is a mass of carbon copy crap.

The games industry really needs to crash hard at this point and reset, as what we have today is a money driven mess with all the passion and beauty that the gaming industry had completely sucked out. With the number of studios EA purposely put under to buy the rights to, they deserve to lose everything.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by GI05
    Originally posted by Alot

I wouldn't mind EA getting dominated/devoured by another company, but I'm not sure if this is a reliable source. The New York Post is rather famous for it's sensationalism. And unsurprisingly, the Post doesn't bother telling us how it acquired this information.

A journalist never reveal his/her sources. But if reported without some facts that would look bad for the journalist.

dont mistake the NY post for journalism (this coming from a NYC area resident who has grown up buying the post because it has the best sports section in the city and that's the main part of the paper i care about)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    We are in a low point for the video game industry right now. Soon, when the new consoles arrive I expect things to turn around.

Are you living under a rock, bro? It isn't just the video gaming industry, it's the entire world economy that's close to collapsing. I doubt the next gen consoles will have much effect on that.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

I'll pay them a back of gum if they let a monkey re-write the ending to Mass Effect 3....

I don't think this is as much a tell tale sign of the industry collapsing as it is a tell tale sign that the era of big business game companies is coming to an end. Goodbye overpriced rehashed games with 10 hours of content, hello indie games with originality and creativity. 

• ZenoLocZenoLoc Member UncommonPosts: 71
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Only an idiot would sell out to KKR.  They specialize in dismantling companies.  Been in a couple they took apart and they don't leave very little left when they are done.  Not a big fan of EA, but if you take them apart, you are basically conceding a big part of the gaming genre to companies outside the US.

Don't you think it would be poetic justice for that to happen to EA?

• SekkerhundSekkerhund Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Don't you think it would be poetic justice for that to happen to EA?

Thank you!  I was just getting ready to comment that this is not necessarily a good thing.  Sure, EA is in trouble, but just because they're looking for equity investment, it does not mean that they're going to change anything with their operations.

IMO, the best thing for Bioware, Mythic, etc.,  is if EA sold off those divisions, or if they get bought and dismantled.  Its clear that EA is no longer "in the game", they're just too big for their own good and stifling the potential of their divisions.  Its the same for Activision and Atari.  Its exactly what the gaming industry needs right now.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I could care less about EA.

I mostly just hope microsoft does not buy them, IMO it would be a poor move for microsoft but I could imagine they may consider it.

What makes EA so bad IMO?  Maybe its the guys at the top rushing products and pushing marketing and graphics instead of gameplay and innovention.  Maybe it is the designers and programmers who aren't paid well and cannot/do not care to do their jobs.  Probably both.  Either way it is fairly toxic and surprising that they have survived so long.

I suppose EA is a good example of consumers being willing to look past a companies history and try out something new from them (usually because of an IP or good marketing).  We are pretty forgiving and EA has benefited from that.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• goingwyldegoingwylde Member Posts: 141
    I'm no fan of EA by anymeans, but I'm not sure having a company this size for sale is a good thing for the gaming industry in general.  EA is one of the few companies capable of raising enough capitol to make huge games.  If it's bought and devoured back into smaller studios, I believe there will be fewer AAA titles on the market in the next three to five years than if they exist as they are now.  If they could keep it intact but under new management with maybe a more ambitious vision for the company.....who knows?  :)
  • SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    We are in a low point for the video game industry right now. Soon, when the new consoles arrive I expect things to turn around.

I seriously would not bank on that, I think the economic downturn is a long way from recovery & that yet worse is to come before it does improve, it's not the great depression of the 1930's just yet, but that potential is not unrealistic either, could be less deep but last longer.

• GeezerGaz82GeezerGaz82 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Originally posted by avalon1000
    Isengard bids five.......

Falcon-clan bids ten

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Most awesome case scenario:  Some really big company buys Activision AND EA.  Preferably say... some Chinese company heavily known for the P2W gambling MMORPGs.

Then al their games can be released with microtransaction gambling to possibly improve your characters, online and offline!

It'd be a beautiful new evolution of the gaming scene.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Meowhead

Most awesome case scenario:  Some really big company buys Activision AND EA.  Preferably say... some Chinese company heavily known for the P2W gambling MMORPGs.

Then al their games can be released with microtransaction gambling to possibly improve your characters, online and offline!

Or they make you pay $5 for pressing any button, $200 to install the game, and will send secret agents to murder you if you try to uninstall.

• ghstwolfghstwolf Member Posts: 386
    Originally posted by goingwylde
    I'm no fan of EA by anymeans, but I'm not sure having a company this size for sale is a good thing for the gaming industry in general.  EA is one of the few companies capable of raising enough capitol to make huge games.  If it's bought and devoured back into smaller studios, I believe there will be fewer AAA titles on the market in the next three to five years than if they exist as they are now.  If they could keep it intact but under new management with maybe a more ambitious vision for the company.....who knows?  :)

Good, AAA seems to stand for Another Adventure in Advertising when it comes to video games.  The sooner we get out of this "trailer queen" era of gaming the better (yup doing a hot rodding theme here).  I'd love to get back to the time when almost everything went under the hood.  Ideally, I get a Maaco paint job (lower quality graphics/ animations) but a big smile on my face every time I punch the gas pedal.

As for EA, why do we ever care?  If they get bought, either management will be changed (leaving the company intact) or they will be chopped and sold for parts.  If they aren't sold, management will still see changes (when a buyout rumor causes that big a swing that shows how little confidence the street has for existing management), but not much will change.  In 2 of the 3 outcomes, only minor changes will result.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    Originally posted by Meowhead

Be careful what you wish for:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19280526

edit: or more likely, NCSoft has just received a $687 million incoming investment from Nexon and is reported to be looking at overseas investment possibilities:

http://www.kdbdw.com/bbs/download/161672.pdf?attachmentId=161672

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
          In 1990 there would have been alot of interest in buying EA....In 2012, probably not so much.....Their rep has really slipped the last few years.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Gee, I guess TOR going in the crapper might not be such a small deal then... (And DA2 for that matter)

For EA, this is very bad, which overall is probably good for gamers...

And, EA did it to themselves, so screw them.

The underlying cause of all of this: total lack of confidence of large investors in EA. All they want is their money out.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

EA got to big for its own good and in turn over time wanted more and more money to give to its stakeholders. EA's influence was felt when BioWare released the sub standard DA2 and ME2 and 3.

With SWTOR being a WoW clone with Star Wars paint over the engine it was also bound to failure as well.

I have no feelings for EA as they sure as hell have none for me as a consumer, I just feel for the developer houses they bought up and chewed up along the way. I can see a lot of them going out of work while the new owners change the company structure to get the most money back from their investment.

But then it could be a good time for the consumers we never know those lay offs may mean a new developer company will rise and start to make decent games again like DA1, ME1, a Warhammer type RPG that has an open world like TES even.

I am no developer but even I know a Warhammer FRP type game based on the old PnP system with an open world mechanic would do very well as a single player or online game. But instead they made a War Online game based round the table top battles with cartoon graphics with a basic WoW  class and level system.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    EA IS NOT FOR SALE do you people commenting even read the article ?   A private firm approached EA.  PRIVATE firms approach companys every day of the year.  EA is doing what every company would do listen.  The fool who doesn't listen is the fool who misses out on the next pay day.  This firm wants to pay EA 20$ a share you dam right they would listen.

The truth is swtor failing is nothing compared to EAs other brands all DOING WELL.