Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 outselling WoW:MoP on Amazon US!

Comments

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by clumsytoes44
    Not trying to start an arguement, but I feel this question need's too be asked. How many people are gonna buy MoP, after being highly disappointed by cataclysm?

Even if GW2 does not live up to my expectations, which I highly doubt since I played it for over 60 hours already, I'm never buying another WoW expansion. Not because I was disappointed by Cataclysm but because WoW got too old for me and although I still have fond memories of it, I simply cannot play it anymore. Plus I'm not a huge fan of gear grinds/carrot-on-a-stick gameplay anymore.

Most people that i know that played wow for long time (quite a few) dont plan on comming back for MoP except for a couple whome i consider of diehard blizz fanbois.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by clumsytoes44
    Not trying to start an arguement, but I feel this question need's too be asked. How many people are gonna buy MoP, after being highly disappointed by cataclysm?

this commentary was posted in a different topic today

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/360812/page/1

Originally posted by Jeleena

I love GW2, even bought the CE. I stopped playing WOW one month after Cata and will not return for MOP.

But I have to say this: today I was at Gamescom and the Blizzrd booth for MOP was huge and absolutely PACKED with people. We tried to get to the booths behind it and it was almost impossible to get thru the crowds.....I cannot say the same for the smallish Guild Wars 2 booth.....

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Xten
    Originally posted by grapevine

Hate to burst the bubble, but it doesn't mean anything.  Most WoW players seem to be going for the digital download, so they can start playing at Midnight.

Also ANet are charging a crazy amount, compared to other retailers.

it's 59.99 at all the major retailers and Anet wtf are you talking about?>

My gf bought 2 copies of GW2 yesterday for 39 euro, digital version.

OP was talking US amazon sales so I assumed grapevines was talking US

well tbh europe has more sales tax in digital sales then the U.S so that fact is not helping your argument ;)

Peace V

what argument? if we are talking EU there is no argument because all my statements were toward US 

im pretty sure that if i can get the game for that price in europe with the higher taxes it will be possible in the u.s as well.

• sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523

Hate to burst the bubble, but it doesn't mean anything.  Most WoW players seem to be going for the digital download, so they can start playing at Midnight.

well tbh europe has more sales tax in digital sales then the U.S so that fact is not helping your argument ;)

Peace V

what argument? if we are talking EU there is no argument because all my statements were toward US 

haha, seriously! wow...

So when the discussion is about GW2 prices in the US you decide to interject with GW2 prices in the EU... and how is that not helping her argument??

Peace V

im pretty sure that if i can get the game for that price in europe with the higher taxes it will be possible in the u.s as well.

Do let us know... please, I'm sure Anet will want to know! (this guy is got to be kidding... right!)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Peace V

I hope this exchange goes on forever. This is awesome. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

you can read my previous post for that.
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Peace V

I hope this exchange goes on forever. This is awesome. :)

I'm still not sure if he's being serious or if he's just pulling our collective legs hahaha

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by sammandar

I'm still not sure if he's being serious or if he's just pulling our collective legs hahaha

either way i give up

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350
    You shouldn't give up until he understands why we're all pointing and laughing at him :)
  • grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    There isn't one other than I stop playing.  Already have the pre-purchase, and know I like it.  Doesn't mean it will have a holding factor.  To be honest with the BWEs and stress tests, it already feeling repetitive as one really doesn't need to take much notice of the "quests".   Follow the masses and kill stuff, when you take it on face value.

in the lower areas a little but don't follow the masses if you don't want to go off and explore.. this game has so much to do, for me it only feels little reptative if i let it. Also all games in one way or another are going to be repetative so that argument is sort of silly.

Same in the higher level ones as well.   Its a different style to questing for sure, but you don't really need to take notice of why you are doing things.    Bascially it can feel like you are just grinding mobs, after a while.

• Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by heartless

It's also possible that a lot of players who are in the fence are waiting to play GW2 a bit before they make the decision about whether or not to purchase MoP.

Like it or not MoP is going to sell a lot of copies. I guess we'll find out eventually if GW2 outsells MoP, however, MoP is almost guaranteed at least 3-4 million sold.

I'm one of those people, and agree with your observation as I'm sure I won't be the only person.

I like GW2, but it's PvE longevity concerns me.  Which is why I'm still keeping my eye on MoP, but it's not my first choice.

that stance still seems ridiculous to me especially for a B2P game.. If leveling from 1-80 is a blast then whats the huge deal if for some reason the longevity wasn't there for you(with so much to do I doubt you would get bored anytime soon).. not to mention you got the pvp side of things.. for $60 bucks I don't really see how you could go wrong

i played WoW for five years, i could care less about MoP. I can't believe they waited this long to release it, it's not like copy and paste is hard to do. (oh and slap some new colors on previously released content.)

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Last time I checked, the MoP belongs in the janitors closet with the bucket.

Nanulak

Also its £49 from ANet (which is a crazy price for the region), while Amazon are selling it for £34.99.   The pre-purchase no matter where one buys it, is a digital copy.   The box just has a licence key in it.  At one point Amazon had it for £29.99.   They however keep changing it, and that's not just for the UK.

So why buy from ANet, when they are so much more expensive?  The point is for GW2 people generally won't so you'll see higher chart ratings.  Where as for MoP people will more likely buy from Blizzard, even if its more expensive, simply because it allows immediate access once live.  While the retail versions won't.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

atleast in uk, you can get mop from blizzard site cheaperthan from amazon, since they raised price for somereason, being honest blizzard bnet sales are more popular than sales for anet on theirs website, not that i care, one is game by now lazy blizzard, i rather go rift  where i go updates, another is biggest liar ofthem all, people just cant see it, gw2 claimed so many things,  yet its one of most grindy western mmos,

and i had too many devs lying about their games, none of them were lying this much a anet tho

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Enok4Twunni

i played WoW for five years, i could care less about MoP. I can't believe they waited this long to release it, it's not like copy and paste is hard to do. (oh and slap some new colors on previously released content.)

I think it's unfair that people harp on Blizzard for being slow about releasing content, or taking too long to release D3, since they're a struggling indy company with a very small budget.

When your programmers have to work a full time job to stay financially solvent, you can't expect them to add content very quickly.  It's a labor of love, and we should be glad for everything we get.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Smikis

atleast in uk, you can get mop from blizzard site cheaperthan from amazon, since they raised price for somereason, being honest blizzard bnet sales are more popular than sales for anet on theirs website, not that i care, one is game by now lazy blizzard, i rather go rift  where i go updates, another is biggest liar ofthem all, people just cant see it, gw2 claimed so many things,  yet its one of most grindy western mmos,

and i had too many devs lying about their games, none of them were lying this much a anet tho

What did ArenaNet lie about exactly? And what do you mean by "grindy"?

Originally posted by Meowhead

I think it's unfair that people harp on Blizzard for being slow about releasing content, or taking too long to release D3, since they're a struggling indy company with a very small budget.

When your programmers have to work a full time job to stay financially solvent, you can't expect them to add content very quickly.  It's a labor of love, and we should be glad for everything we get.

Struggling Indie Company? Then were the balls does all that money from the subscriptions, cash store, and their other franchises go?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Also its £49 from ANet (which is a crazy price for the region), while Amazon are selling it for £34.99.   The pre-purchase no matter where one buys it, is a digital copy.   The box just has a licence key in it.  At one point Amazon had it for £29.99.   They however keep changing it, and that's not just for the UK.

So why buy from ANet, when they are so much more expensive?  The point is for GW2 people generally won't so you'll see higher chart ratings.  Where as for MoP people will more likely buy from Blizzard, even if its more expensive, simply because it allows immediate access once live.  While the retail versions won't.

the point IS the OP is about US amazon.. US retailers charge the exact same amount as Anet.. you can look yourself.. also add in the fact amazon.com did not have the pre-purchase( they only had the pre-order) right away so most just bought from Anet since amazon didn't even offer it 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Smikis

biggest liar ofthem all, people just cant see it, gw2 claimed so many things,  yet its one of most grindy western mmos,

instead of making generalizations

list the ANET lies ?

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

Best comment of today!

You, sir, are awesome.

the point IS the OP is about US amazon.. US retailers charge the exact same amount as Anet.. you can look yourself.. also add in the fact amazon.com did not have the pre-purchase right away so most just bought from Anet since amazon didn't even offer it 

Yes, I know.   Amazon keep changing their price, and it was cheaper.   Agree, amazon.com initially had the pre-order, then added the pre-purchase.  

That still doesn't change why people would buy one game from amazon, and another from the developer directly.   As I said, people need the digital copy for immediate access to MoP.  For GW2 they don't need to buy from ANet, to get into the head start.

Originally posted by Jagarid

Best comment of today!

You, sir, are awesome.

I still want to know where the heck all of that money they made from WoW goes...

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Seems to be some dedication to pot-stirring of late between Blizz and Anet fans.

:shrug:  You'll likely have plenty of time to call each other names for the forseeable future; no rush to get it all done right away.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    Originally posted by Jagarid

Best comment of today!

You, sir, are awesome.

I still want to know where the heck all of that money they made from WoW goes...

Vivendi.

On a bright side, Blizzard is definitely worried about GW2. I mean, WoW's patch on the 28th will open up access to all of the races, including the pandas. This is the first time in the history of WoW than new races are available during the pre-expansion patch. IT seems like they are throwing everything they possibly can at GW2.