Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raid Haters are coming out of the woodwork.

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Op your attitude is awful. What about other categories where you don't assume it's because the player has some personal issue:

Player leaves because they are sick to death of doing the same thing over and over 40 times a week.

Player leaves because they find the self righteous and impatient/arrogant sub culture within the game.

Player leaves because they are sick of the guild politics.

Player leaves because they are sick of the issues with finding tanks and healers and the right raid composition.

Player leaves because the game is 8 years old and showing its age badly.

Player leaves because it's simply insane their friend is 'reserve' on a raid, reserve in a game -madness?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Originally posted by Mithrandolir
    I've a PvE'er at heart, but WvWvW is all the raiding I need. Same was true in Camelot's RvR.I would think the same military background that you say makes you enjoy organized pve raids, would make you love WvWvW raiding. Just curious if you have tried it yet, either here or in Camelot? 

Middy here in DAoC and yes I love it. Looking forward to WvWvW, but I also love raiding.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Well, GW2 doesn't have raiding.  So you expect those that are into GW2 A LOT to support raiding?  That's kind of odd.

To say that raiding is great and GW2 doesn't have it is incorrectly seen as an attack on GW2, since that's something it lacks.

I don't see it that way, but some certainly do.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I don't even like dungeons with 8 or so people! Takes 45 minutes to get every one together! I raided once in SWG, if it even was a  raid but we had 40 or so people, had to wait 2 hours!! to get everyone together.

I also don't like dropped gear being better then rafted gear. I like to earn my gear by playing  trader.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Interesting that raiding in OG EQ was mostly a wold affair if a I remember right which is something GW2 will offer at anytime (past a certain lvl I believe). Just thought I'd throw that out there.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Lucrecia

Yeah...definetly forgot a reason there

-You have raided since EverQuest and through World of Warcraft and you simply are burnt out from the raiding experience.

Everquest what is that?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Krimzin

Originally posted by Mithrandolir
    I've a PvE'er at heart, but WvWvW is all the raiding I need. Same was true in Camelot's RvR.

I would think the same military background that you say makes you enjoy organized pve raids, would make you love WvWvW raiding. Just curious if you have tried it yet, either here or in Camelot?

Middy here in DAoC and yes I love it. Looking forward to WvWvW, but I also love raiding.

Ah a fellow Middy here as well! Kobold Shaman.

I really loved raiding in EQ1 back when it was just Hate and Fear, and in Camelot stuff like the dragon raids. But I haven't really enjoyed the mechanic since WoW launched. I mean, i did it and I had fun at times, but never to the point where it made me want more of it, unlike those old days.

Although I don't hate raiding, and others loving it never really bothered me, I am really looking forward to the other avenues that ArenaNet chose to focus on here.

Some of the world bosses look incredibly tough and should make for some awesome global type raiding for me as well.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Your title is pretty much baiting people to read about this topic, and then your post insults people who aren't raiders...

And you wonder why raid haters are coming out....

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Everquest what is that?

You can't fool us, old man! ;)

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

Dear OP, 

I'd like you to do an organized Raid in Gw2 in the level 80 zone, "Orr". I think you'll find it far more effective then a bunch of mindless ppl running around Orr trying to figure out what to do. I also think youll be more then satisfied with the level of organization required to successful Own Orr and complete the last dungeon. 

~Maelz

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

That's cool that you love raiding and all, but there's as many reasons to dislike raiding as there are reasons to like it...

... and 'sneakily' bashing non-raiders is about as productive as the people who hate raids saying that raids are full of nothing but pathetic basement dwellers with no lives who trade in their superior amount of spare time for gear to finally make them feel like they accomplished something in life.

You can like or dislike raiding, do it or not, and still be a perfectly normal person.

Same with the trinity.  Just because I don't particularly like the holy trinity or raiding, doesn't mean I think that people who do like it are only because of some horrible pathetic failings in their real life.

It's just a matter of taste.  In video games.  VIDEO GAMES.  Since when did somebody preferring pong or pacman really amount to anything serious in the real world, or demonstrate a lack of character in some respect?

• Boradin5011Boradin5011 Member Posts: 12

The op missed a primary reason to hate raids: boring, boring, boring. 

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

Let me start by saying that I am a huge Guild Wars 2 fan and am in no way bashing it or the fan base.
    I’ve been on these forums for well over 8 years and it is simply amazing how attitudes and trends change on a very regular basis. When EQ was in its glory days it was all about raiding. If you didn’t raid you were a scrub. When WoW released, raiding was still king of the mountain. Since then many games have come and gone, raiding has remained in most of them until recently. GW2 is bringing a new type of MMO to the marketplace that has no end game raiding to speak of. On the forums for months now you see numerous posts revolving around “Thank god there is no raiding in GW2 or Raids aren’t needed”.

After reading these type posts for some time I’ve come to a realization that most people fall into a certain category of non-raiders.
    There are typically a few reasons people don’t like Raiding.

• They don’t have time in real life to dedicate to an organized guild structure that it takes to raid successfully.
    • They have been ridiculed in past games for their lack of skill, Example... Get out of the fire dumbass.
    • They don’t have a personality to speak of so they don’t play well with others.
    • They are too lazy to do the work, example… They don’t want to get the necessary gear it takes to raid

I’ve raided in every game I’ve played over the last 14 years and I absolutely love it.
    I guess because I’m ex-military, I love the teamwork involved in raiding. Getting dedicated players together on a regular basis to down raid mobs is so much more fun than doing simple dynamic events.

I honestly hope Anet changes its stance in the future and brings in some type of organized raiding. Exploreable 5 man dungeons are great and all, but it’s a far cry for a raid.
    If they don’t, so be it. Guild Wars 2 will be fun for awhile atleast.

Yeah you see this is bias in action.  You enjoy it so much, you can't possibly understand why others don't and think it could only possibly be down to either character flaws or personal issues.  Try to be a little less arrogant.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Roybe

Let me start by saying that I am a huge Guild Wars 2 fan and am in no way bashing it or the fan base.
    I’ve been on these forums for well over 8 years and it is simply amazing how attitudes and trends change on a very regular basis. When EQ was in its glory days it was all about raiding. If you didn’t raid you were a scrub. When WoW released, raiding was still king of the mountain. Since then many games have come and gone, raiding has remained in most of them until recently. GW2 is bringing a new type of MMO to the marketplace that has no end game raiding to speak of. On the forums for months now you see numerous posts revolving around “Thank god there is no raiding in GW2 or Raids aren’t needed”.

After reading these type posts for some time I’ve come to a realization that most people fall into a certain category of non-raiders.

• They don’t have time in real life to dedicate to an organized guild structure that it takes to raid successfully.
    • They have been ridiculed in past games for their lack of skill, Example... Get out of the fire dumbass.
    • They don’t have a personality to speak of so they don’t play well with others.
    • They are too lazy to do the work, example… They don’t want to get the necessary gear it takes to raid

I’ve raided in every game I’ve played over the last 14 years and I absolutely love it.
    I guess because I’m ex-military, I love the teamwork involved in raiding. Getting dedicated players together on a regular basis to down raid mobs is so much more fun than doing simple dynamic events.

I honestly hope Anet changes its stance in the future and brings in some type of organized raiding. Exploreable 5 man dungeons are great and all, but it’s a far cry for a raid.

Whew! I thought most people complained due to the level of elitism, the lack of patience by, and the overall poor attitude of the people that raided.  Seeing that it's the non-raiders fault due to being a thin skinned, lazy, basement dweller makes everything so much easier to understand!  BTW, I still think raiding is over rated.

You do realize that reality =/= to loud shouting or whining on forums.

The vast majority of raiders are not elitists min maxers who like to lord over their gear and l33t h4x0r skills over the stupid plebian n00bs.  Do those people exist? yes.  Like the OP i've been raiding in mmo's since original EQ, and out of the well over 500 different poeple i've raided with, maybe 15-20 were those douchey guys.

What you dont understand is we hate them just as much as you do.

Are their guilds comprised entirely of those type of people?  Yes, but they might be 3 or 4 guilds out of the 50 or 60 that are progressing on the content.

Now, on the flip side of the coin, like the OP mentioned, is the average raider going to get pissed when someone can't learn after 5 or 6 tries not to stand in the big assed pire of exploding firey death?  Yes, at some point we have to draw the line and tell someone they're simply either not capable of it, or not trying hard enough.  Either way its producing a result that is holding everyone else back.

Just like if you're trying to compete for a football championship you don't grab some random guy off the street and let him play wide receiver just because you feel bad for him.

That doesn't make the people on the football team elitists with no patience and a poor attitude, its just reality.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Ye op post highlights the attiude and culture that just not have a place on GW2. Nothing wrong with having wow for raiding and gw2 for a different experience. Win win for everyone including the OP

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

The problem with raiding is that once you've done it once its pretty freaking dull. Coming from a PvP guild we've never really struggled with raids, a lot of the time we'd have pvp builds in our raid parties in a variety of games since we couldn't be bothered to respec and the content was trivial. 

Now in GW2 instanced content for larger parties would work, mostly because the action orientated combat isn't dull. The reason its not being thought of is to minimise the effect of instancing on end game and keeping people in the world. 

pretty much every theme park I've played except for War (open world pvp) and Rift (rifts but to a very lesser extent) turned the max level experience into a lobby game.

There are tons of games with raids lets have one that trys to draw end game quality out into the real world.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

@OP...

Who is to say that GW2 dont have raids? If you played EQ, can you remember those open world raids? There will be more of those and less those instanced ones. The "Orr" is supposed to work in similar manner too.

EDIT: I meant to say 'in similar manner to open raids', not to be confused with the 'similar manner in instanced raids'

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

And that is the wow raiding scene.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    The king of the mountain in WoW at release was raiding???????????? Not at all actually. Its a huge minority, and yet raiders always seem to think the other. Raid haters as you say it isn t really happening, it s just that a game like GW2 is coming and it doesn t have the raids you re used to. Now people that don t raid can compete, without the time sink (no life for some guilds raid schedule) or have to deal with the elitist ass hat barking leader. GW2 offers raiding for everyone, and thats why you re hearing people talking about how raiding sucks, and GW2 allows anyone to do it, without all the hassle.
  • Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

Actually you have that wrong.. there is what, 4 or 5 OTHER threads whinning that there is no raids. Only people that are complaining about raids are people defending themselves from elitest who say things like "They are too lazy to do work" or that "they dont have a personality".  

Yeah, lets start a thread saying that the way you play a video game is the right way, everyone who doesnt agree with you are "lazy, lack skill, and dont have a personality to speak of".  Seems you are pretty lazy, since there are a number of threads just like this you could post into. Or is it because you are such a special raiding butterfly that you need your own thread? Hmm, personality seems a little harsh, with the insults and stuff. 

IN closing, GW2 doesnt have raids, perhaps a Panda will be more your skill level.

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by Grimlock426

You missed a reason.

Raiding is only fun the first couple times you down a boss, and so people get tired of slogging through the same boss fights ad nauseum hoping for the one piece of gear to drop.

So, the question is: how many hours/days of banging on keep doors will it take before people get tired of WvW? I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here as I remember this being the case in Warhammer Online. I guess GW2 does have other end game activities, but the same can be said about dungeons or anything in an MMO for that matter. GW2 end game will be no different, I promise you.

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Skarecrow7

Actually you have that wrong.. there is what, 4 or 5 OTHER threads whinning that there is no raids. Only people that are complaining about raids are people defending themselves from elitest who say things like "They are too lazy to do work" or that "they dont have a personality".  

actually I think the only people complaining about the lack of raids are the ones that got beaten down about the black lion chest/key boosts argument. It seems progression/raids is here to replace the ridiculous P2W arguments.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by ace80k

So, the question is: how many hours/days of banging on keep doors will it take before people get tired of WvW? I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here as I remember this being the case in Warhammer Online. I guess GW2 does have other end game activities, but the same can be said about dungeons or anything you do in an MMO.

If all you're doing is banging on keep doors, then you're doing it wrong.

Also, the nice thing about PvP is that they're considerably less predictable than raids.

The fight to be best WvW server or best structured PvP team is something where the tactics will constantly have to change to keep up with other people.

Humans > AI.

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

Raids aren't like they used to be honestly,  the kind of time and organization needed for today's raids are too much compared to the  likes of throwing a big raid down in old EQ/DAOC days, now it's all elitist gear checkers herding the little sheeplings trying to get the purples.  

Raiders are the minority, and by a large amount.  So why focus time and resources into developing content for the minor few.

Coming in here and putting down your statement just shows the raider mentality.

The first I can understand, a lot of people can't commit that kind of time. 

Lack of skill?  Pshhaw,  come pvp and I'll show you skill.

Personality?  Not every non-raider is a sheepling eager to gain gear by smacking big mobs around.  A lot of us rather pvp.

Too lazy to get neccessary gear, or maybe they just don't care to raid?  PVE IS BORING.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    I could counter the OP with many equally or even more repulsive things about why raiders like to raid but i wont waste my time..;)

Playing GW2..