Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: All Races Available in v5.0.4

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The World of Warcraft community page has been updated with the news that when patch v5.0.4 is released on August 28th, all races will be available to players.

With the release of patch 5.0.4, we’re making all the races of Azeroth playable by anyone, no matter which version or expansion of World of Warcraft they own. This includes the enigmatic pandaren, who will become available for play when Mists of Pandaria is released on Tuesday, September 25. We want the entire World of Warcraft community to be able to embrace their inner goblin, blood elf, worgen, draenei, or pandaren from the moment they step foot into the world of Azeroth.

Thanks to Vannor for the tip!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• robsonicrobsonic Member UncommonPosts: 26
    When it rains, it pours.
  • nixiumnixium Member Posts: 21

This is good news for players just starting.

But imagine this, you are a long time player, purchased all of the expansions to play the races when they became available or be locked out from them and you spent all of that money to do so. Now newbies can do that for nothing. lol, I feel like I've been robbed.

But yeah, perhaps it will retain some people, attract more subs, a good move since they are losing subs (down to just over 9 milliion according to the last financial report).. sensing a little desperation here too, but not a total panic switch to f2p level yet. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    How do they level pandas without pandaria?
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by nixium

But imagine this, you are a long time player, purchased all of the expansions to play the races when they became available or be locked out from them and you spent all of that money to do so. Now newbies can do that for nothing. lol, I feel like I've been robbed.

But yeah, perhaps it will retain some people, attract more subs, a good move since they are losing subs (down to just over 9 milliion according to the last financial report).. sensing a little desperation here too, but not a total panic switch to f2p level yet. 

Do you feel robbed when someone gets upgraded to Cata level account if they get a Scroll of Res? I bought all the expansions at full price yet I don't feel robbed in any way. Same way  I didn't feel robbed when everyone got all Guild Wars chapters for 20 bucks when I paid 60 dollars per expansion.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

basically, everyone has the same client. account properties determine what you can or can't play.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

From forums

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6352435511

This is great but how will starting areas be handled?

The starting areas will be accessible as well. For example, you'll be able to adventure on the Wandering Isle as a pandaren when Mists of Pandaria is released, but you won't be able to visit Pandaria. They're separate locations.

Originally posted by fivoroth

Do you feel robbed when someone gets upgraded to Cata level account if they get a Scroll of Res? I bought all the expansions at full price yet I don't feel robbed in any way. Same way  I didn't feel robbed when everyone got all Guild Wars chapters for 20 bucks when I paid 60 dollars per expansion.

I felt robbed then too. :) But meh, let the buyer beware. The SOR should have been a hint in retrospection.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I felt robbed then too. :) But meh, let the buyer beware. The SOR should have been a hint in retrospection.

Let the buyer beware?  I don't think Cavet emptor applies here...  You had a product first, when it was fresh and new.  If you bought a new Iphone4 at release it was a few hundred bucks, now you can get one far cheaper.  Were you "robbed" if you bought one at release compared to having one at the price you can get it now?  

No.

Reality check sir.

Oh and Buyer Beware is for shoddy products, like snake oils and the like, its an ancient roman term.  Typical its you get what you pay for type deal.  Context.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

Will they be Ally exclusive like every other new race that was acctually interesting?

We give them space gargoyles, the other guys, short elves that are already in the game.

We give them transforming werewolves, the other guys goblins that they already almost have.

They're not changing any races faction allegience.  They're just making races available to all players regardless of which expansions they may or may not own.

Steam: Neph

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Sry Blizzard this wont help you, GW2 is coming !!!!
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Let the buyer beware?  I don't think Cavet emptor applies here...  You had a product first, when it was fresh and new.  If you bought a new Iphone4 at release it was a few hundred bucks, now you can get one far cheaper.  Were you "robbed" if you bought one at release compared to having one at the price you can get it now?  

No.

Reality check sir.

Oh and Buyer Beware is for shoddy products, like snake oils and the like, its an ancient roman term.  Typical its you get what you pay for type deal.  Context.

Quite relevant if the product is required to unlock a race at the time then it's free later on to all who don't need to purchase the product. And yes you got what you paid for then. But not now, because the value will be reduced meaning people in the past have lost out while new players gain. Very dodgy. But may the buyer beware back then, despite the quirks and benefits  later on in this month.

Others don't have to feel robbed, fair play, I do , some others might as well. Horses for courses.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by Grotar89

Looool ... Wow is shaking in fear ;-)

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I don't think Guild Wars 2 will affect WoW numbers for any length of time.  WoW competitors have come and gone, tried and failed - and WoW is still going strong. Because you can buy GW2 outright, I'm sure people will play it and WoW.  
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Would WoW have offered this feature if GW2 didn't exist?  My guess is no, since it forces people to buy the expansion.  Maybe 6 months to a year after the expansion they might have opened it up but certainly not when the expansion releases.

Pretty obvious to me it is a retention tactic to staunch the flow of bleeding subs that will be lost to Anet's financial model of buy to play.

I'm not saying that Blizz will not be successful in their new expansion.  Just that revenue potential is what is being fought for.

The people I feel sorry for the most are the players who have paid a preorder for MoP just so they can play a Pandaren and don't care about levelling to level 90 but now anyone will be able to roll a Panda for free (plus gametime, of course) after September 25. :| :|
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Mari2k

it should be you lost 2 mil subs in the last two years , maybe think about what you say before you say it.

• sjake1473sjake1473 Member Posts: 5

I agree also,ive tried many mmo's after my wow addiction and have not been satisfied until i played gw2 during the closed beta.GW2 has totally killed my desire to play MOP.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920
    Just another Blizzard effort to attract some perceived audience that has never played the game.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    This just underlines the fact that Blizzard is releasing the patch on August 28th to mess with GW2's launch. They might as well release the whole expansion on the 28th at this rate.

Originally posted by heartless
    This just underlines the fact that Blizzard is releasing the patch on August 28th to mess with GW2's launch. They might as well release the whole expansion on the 28th at this rate.

how so?

no one can play pandas until Sept 25th -- MOP or not

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Originally posted by Nadia

how so?

Reading is fundamental.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by cronius77

it should be you lost 2 mil subs in the last two years , maybe think about what you say before you say it.

I'm not sure you fully grasp just how many subscribers WoW has. Losing 2 million subs in 2 years would put most any MMO in negative territory yet WoW still has 9 million subscribers, a staggering amount. If GW2 were to somehow steal another 2 million, WoW would still be ridiculously successful. Sure it would sting but their definitely wouldnt be any shaking in fear going on. So Looool is correct.

Originally posted by paulytheb

Reading is fundamental.

clarification can be read at many news sites

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=30304

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Stryx74

I'm not sure you fully grasp just how many subscribers WoW has. Losing 2 million subs in 2 years would put most any MMO in negative territory yet WoW still has 9 million subscribers, a staggering amount. If GW2 were to somehow steal another 2 million, WoW would still be ridiculously successful. Sure it would sting but their definitely wouldnt be any shaking in fear going on. So Looool is correct.

A massive loss is a massive loss in the world of business, no matter how much you still have left. Blizzard will definitely be under pressure from Vivendi to keep their player count from dropping any further, and they will want to do so as well so they don't have to lay off anyone.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

how so?

But you can play other races regardless of expansions. Also you'll be able to play as a panda once the expansion launches regardless of whether or not you purchased MoP or not. That's the first time Blizz did this with any expansion.

MoP launches a month after GW2's launch. The pre-expansion patch just so happens to go live during the GW2's launch day. Blizzard opens up all races to everyone, with pandas when MoP launches also for everyone. You think that all this is just a coincidence?