Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

*Official*(ish) Profession Thread for Launch! *NEW*

BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

OK, so most who are fans/watching/waiting on GW2 have probably had a chance to play the game in either the three weekend events and/or the stress tests.

Many/most have probably tried out a bunch of different Professions, and hopefully most have picked their "main" if not their first toon.

So now, a week from launch, WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION?

Comments

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Guardian will be main. I love banishing people with my 2h hammer in wvw, mainly off cliffs ha ha.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I've been planning on an Asuran Mesmer since the game was first announced. I'll be sticking with that, and quite glad to do so.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

I love polls. (no sarcasm involved!)

Warrior

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I long debated between Warrior and Guardian, but finally settled on Guardian after much, much, much consideration.

I like the utility/support for PvE and WvW.

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    This will be the 1st game were i made ranger type chr as my main. Unfortunately I'll also be the worst charr ranger evah!! Won't be able to hit the broad side of a norn barn standing 10 pace's away facing the barn.
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    All the above, I like to mix it up a bit.
  • ChaulsinNLChaulsinNL Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Engineer all the way, can´t wait to start hucking grenades!
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Elementalist. Almost certain. (Warrior a close second).

I was a little concerned at it being one of the most popular professions in many polls. Also, I will be rolling a Human Elementalist and I know that's a very popular choice for the race. however, I also know from game experience that elementalist is a challenging class to play and become adept at, so I figure a fair percentage of early Elementalists will probably be shelved for something easier, so I think a few months down the road the population distribution among the 8 professions will be different than at launch.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Necro, i'm kind of undecided now because of the last patch, but i'm still thinking a DS focused Necro revolving around either Scepter/warhorn or staff. Now i'm even debating dagger/dagger for the lifesteal on #2 since it's range is increased. But for the most part, I want to try a DS focused Necro.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Thief will be my main for sure. Elementalist will be my other main. Then I'll have my Asura Necro and my Charr Warrior (or maybe guardian) as my other other mains. Then I will certainly have a Norn Ranger as my last Main.

Too many mains? NEVER! :)

I need to buy slots for my alts now.

Need lots of votes to be statistically relevant(ish).

Keep 'em coming.

So is it weapon choice / skills that determines what class you like/pick, or more of the "theme" of the Profession?

• SimplefoxSimplefox Member Posts: 11

Almost certainly an Elementalist. 

Small chance of going Guardian though....

[Edit] "So is it weapon choice / skills that determines what class you like/pick, or more of the "theme" of the Profession?"

The theme of the Elementalist interested me long before the Betas.  Having had some time to play it, it just felt natural, and very versatile.  I enjoyed trying out a Guardian as well, but  I never really got the hang of it in the time available.

"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." - H. G. Wells

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Keep 'em coming.

So is it weapon choice / skills that determines what class you like/pick, or more of the "theme" of the Profession?

For me it's the overall theme I think. The weapons do matter to me though, as do the skill animations and stuff like that.  But it all comes together to make up the theme for me :)

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Moved over to a Thief , not sure on race yet ....... I'm thinking big.

Oh yeah ....

What is your profession?

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463

Keep 'em coming.

Really was just what class I enjoyed the most from beta. Plus I've alway's liked the charr.

For me it really is a combination of theme and weapon/skill choice.

I love melee, I love heavy armor, I love the "Holy power/energy" kind of thing they got going on - burning people with holy power in cool blue flames is just bad ass.

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    undecided; can't decide between elementalist and guardian for main

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I long debated between Warrior and Guardian, but finally settled on Guardian after much, much, much consideration.

I like the utility/support for PvE and WvW.

I voted Thief, but had the same debate Warrior VS Guardian as 2nd char. I finally went for Warrior, because... helping people be damned! People are ungrateful lots, and the Guardian shields... people run like silly away anywhoo. But then, maybe it works, teh. I chose Warrior for the versatile fun, and because of the noisy rifle. BOOM BOOM ^^

Not sure if I can stomach Thief. I will try it as main, but maybe Warrior will take over.

Ele was just too strenuous. Always circling the mobs... zzzzz Not my style. Pity, loved the magic animations. Same with Ranger. Cool idea = pet, but imvpo lame powers.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Guardian is a lot more fun if played as more than a support character but as a crazy 2H wielding righteous holy warrior - who also happens to be hard to kill and provide aid to his/her allies.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

For me I'll have 3 mains because I simply liked the combo's to much to choose one over the other. 

Asura Engineer - The animations alone were worth the wait. Playing an engineer I knew I liked the profession but I held off on really playing until the Asura were available and it was worth it. 

Human Guardian - I liked the theme and style this combo had. It seemed right. Loved the versatility. 

Sylvari Ranger - Ok, a mushroom headed green plant dude with a fern hound was just to awsome. The job was a lot of fun and the theme was just to neat and unique. 

I selected Engineer in the pole but those 3 I will be playing equally from the start. 

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101
    Guardian. It's been my choice since the first PBW, and everytime I've played it has only emphasized how much I enjoy the class.

• ThrashbargThrashbarg Member Posts: 125

There's no option for "All" on that poll...... can't vote....... lol

Probably mostly Elementalist and Thief at first, those are the 2 I found myself playing most during betas, but then again, I keep thinking about engineer, guardian, warrior...... 

And yes, those are 300 references because I am a Spartan and football season starts soon and I'm pumped!
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    And yes, those are 300 references because I am a Spartan and football season starts soon and I'm pumped!

Hehe, glad to see I am not the only one who fantasizes about movie characters in MMO chars. But my heroes are never really in MMO classes. Like Batman. (Like Arkham Asylum combat style.) Or REALLY cool Jedi/Sith combat, only existed in Jedi Academy. Or that sort of "Hero" or "Tiger and Dragon" hyperbole Kung Fu combat. None of that ever existed as class in a MMO. Oh my. :/

That's why I took Thief. It has a bit of Batman and a bit of Kung Fu. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Need moar votes!

*shameless bump*

Sticky??