Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Offers Pandaren Even Without Expansion

TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I'm surprised it hasn't been posted here yet, if it has then I didn't know.

They are making all races playable with any account. Don't get the wrong idea though, it's only the 'race'.. you can not create a Monk or Death Knight without the appropriate expansion(s).

Just thought I'd bring to everyones attention:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/6994738/All_Races_Available_in_Patch_504-8_16_2012

*Edited with official link.

Nadia provided this info on page two of this thread:

From forums

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6352435511

I've seen some confusion about when pandaren character creation will be accessible.

Just to be clear on the announcement, we're making it possible for people to create a character of any race, regardless of what expansions you've purchased. So if you only have the original game (which now has The Burning Crusade included), when patch 5.0.4 hits you'll be able to create goblin and worgen characters as well. And, once Mists of Pandaria is released, you'll be able to create pandaren characters, regardless of whether or not you own Mists of Pandaria.

So it says all races, what about though all classes? Just because Pandaren become available for play regardless if you have MoP or not, does this include the new monk class?

No, you'll need to upgrade your World of Warcraft license to Mists of Pandaria in order to unlock the monk class. The same is true for leveling from 85-90 and gaining access to the continent of Pandaria.

This is great but how will starting areas be handled?

The starting areas will be accessible as well. For example, you'll be able to adventure on the Wandering Isle as a pandaren when Mists of Pandaria is released, but you won't be able to visit Pandaria. They're separate locations.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

its good news

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/6994738/All_Races_Available_in_Patch_504-8_16_2012

hopefully Blizzard will offer some bundle packs too to help w expansion costs for new players

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Another desperate attempt to retain subscribers in the face of blizzard's biggest competition yet in GW2.

I think fans of WoW should actually thank Anet.  Question to everyone, "Do you think Blizz would have done this if Anet was not coming out with GW2?"

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Not bad at all. A tiny tiny tiny bit of respect restored for blizzard.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Nadia

its good news

hopefully Blizzard will offer some bundle packs too to help w expansion costs for new players

Thanks for the official link, I'll edit the first post with it as well. No idea why I choose to link IGN lol.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Another desperate attempt to retain subscribers in the face of blizzard's biggest competition yet in GW2.

Riiiiight. image

They're doing this because there will be a massive influx of new players when MoP launches. Many of which will probably be trials. Opening all races to those new players increases the odds they will get hooked and become a subscriber.

[mod edit]
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

It's a good move on their part. I never got to try out the Worgen because I didn't buy Cata (got a rez recently and fixed that), but this will, as pointed out earlier, allow trial players to experience all of the races.

And people who don't buy Mists becuase of Pandas, can still roll Pandas when no one is looking.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

I think fans of WoW should actually thank Anet.  Question to everyone, "Do you think Blizz would have done this if Anet was not coming out with GW2?"

Nine million plus and desperate, lol the irony.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Originally posted by Mephster

I think it is Anet's financial model that has Blizz worried.  Not worried in the sense that they will die.  Just worried in the sense that it cuts into Vivendi's profit margin, which we all know is heavily done with WoW Sub numbers..

from forums

I've seen some confusion about when pandaren character creation will be accessible.

Just to be clear on the announcement, we're making it possible for people to create a character of any race, regardless of what expansions you've purchased. So if you only have the original game (which now has The Burning Crusade included), when patch 5.0.4 hits you'll be able to create goblin and worgen characters as well. And, once Mists of Pandaria is released, you'll be able to create pandaren characters, regardless of whether or not you own Mists of Pandaria.

So it says all races, what about though all classes? Just because Pandaren become available for play regardless if you have MoP or not, does this include the new monk class?

No, you'll need to upgrade your World of Warcraft license to Mists of Pandaria in order to unlock the monk class. The same is true for leveling from 85-90 and gaining access to the continent of Pandaria.

The starting areas will be accessible as well. For example, you'll be able to adventure on the Wandering Isle as a pandaren when Mists of Pandaria is released, but you won't be able to visit Pandaria. They're separate locations.

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172

I love GW2, even bought the CE. I stopped playing WOW one month after Cata and will not return for MOP.

But I have to say this: today I was at Gamescom and the Blizzrd booth for MOP was huge and absolutely PACKED with people. We tried to get to the booths behind it and it was almost impossible to get thru the crowds.....I cannot say the same for the smallish Guild Wars 2 booth.....

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

dude . wait for the right time to say it .the battle is still undecided . it can go either way .

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Mephster

I think it is Anet's financial model that has Blizz worried.  Not worried in the sense that they will die.  Just worried in the sense that it cuts into Vivendi's profit margin, which we all know is heavily done with WoW Sub numbers..

The majority of WoW players could care less about GW2. They barely know Starcraft and Diablo exist.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

im a GW2 fan and i agree

MOP sales will be at least 4 million the first week

but I'll be happy if GW2 sells 1 million the first week :)

its unclear if the starter edition benefits from this too -- ive been seeking that info
  • WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

from forums

I like that, it gives new players a chance to lvl up before paying for x-expansion for chars. When bc was released it took me a little while to get it because i was saving for 2 nvidia 9500gt at the time. 

I personally don't think it has anything to do with any other mmo, it just makes more sence to charge people for post game content only. Makes it easier to access tutorial zones w/ new races and a couple sprites to have fun with. It was probally decided on fan feedback.

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151

If this has nothing to do with Guild Wars 2, why is Blizzard doing somethings, that it had never done before, right before the Guild Wars 2 release ?! 

I, fully, understand that WoW is still mighty and great, however, the game '' isn´t '' on the same quality level as Guild Wars 2 and if Blizzard bores the player-base, something that may cause them to check, just check, Guild Wars 2 .. they may never return to Blizzard anymore. Blizzard´s goal isn´t anylonger to gain new players, but to not lose the ones who they already have. WoW isn´t as mighty as before and it´s getting as much attention as before either. Many players who used to return, everytime, a new WoW expansion is out, aren´t returning this time because thery aren´t glad anylonger with the quality and the concepts WoW is offering.

Guild Wars 2 is bringing new rules to the genre and World of Warcraft is holding the old rules with all its strengh. This is the battle we are having right now. Personally, I am someone, like all the other millions in the mmo-community, who have tried WoW. I played there, lived in Azeroth, had fun with friends, did hundreds of raids and spent thousends of hours in game´s immersive world. However, everything has an end and the quality of WoW vanilla has kinda disappeared forever. Hopefully Blizzard can bring us back that amazing feeling that we had with WoW through Titan, though I don´t want to get my hopes too high :)

Originally posted by eGumball

If this has nothing to do with Guild Wars 2, why is Blizzard doing somethings, that it had never done before, right before the Guild Wars 2 release ?!

when Blizzard offered Starter edition, last summer, they included Dranei and Blood Elf

without needing to own BC -- but you could only access the starting areas

patch 5.0.4 racial access is a natural progression

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    I will say this is pretty desprate and smart at the same time but GW2 should be the least of thier worries. We got a sleeper hit coming in a few months that could suck away a ton blizz customers. Out with the old and in with the new.
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

When your game still retains over 9 million subscribers after an eight year reign, which is about 800% more subscribers than any MMORPG that has ever existed, the last word I would ever use to describe the company is desperate.

GW2 is going to be amazing, I'm a massive fan, but grasping at straws just to try and make the competition appear to be something they are not is little more than a thinly veiled form of spite.

Wake up.

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by eGumball

when Blizzard offered Starter edition, last summer, they included Dranei and Blood Elf

without needing to own BC -- but you could only access the starting areas

patch 5.0.4 racial access is a natural progression

Yeah, so people in Blizzard were sitting to drink tea and suddenly they noticed '' oh, we didn´t announce our expansion release-date '' and without checking the market, they just went and put it, 1 month after the realese of Guild Wars 2. Also without even bothering to check other games, they thought '' what about putting a new patch on August 28th, this is a good idea '' and probably they didn´t notice that Guild Wars 2 was being released in the same day, becasue well, I guess Blizzard is Blizzard and a little game like Guild Wars 2 is something that they haven´t heard about and they aren´t willing to give attention to a korean grind-fest. 

Also, without any said reason, they decided to go with some new '' mechanics '' and that they have never talked about, just when Guild Wars 2 is released, and when someone asked '' hmmm, why do we post all that, right when Guild Wars 2 is releasing ?! '' .. they answer '' What is Guild Wars 2 ? ''

Good logic.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

Yeah they're down to 9 million subs. ENGAGE PANIC MODE!!!  image

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Didn't people say the same thing when SWTOR was in beta ?  GW2 250k players in 3 months you read it here first.  (active players not people who bought the game got to 80 and havent logged in for 2 weeks).
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I seriously doubt they did this because of gw2.  It was probably planned months ago.  It's not hard to believe since they made draenei & blood elves available to trial customers.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.