Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character Slots

bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685
So last night (EU time), during the stress test, I noticed that there were only 5 character slots available out of o total of 8 professions.

As I am a person who likes to try out all classes, will there/is there an option to expand those via the cash shop (or whatever it's called) and if possible (information is already available) for how much?

Comments

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339
    800 gems per character slot

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Yes you can buy additionall chr slot's for 800 gem's I believe. Also you can buy gem's from ingame gold, So you don't have to purchase the chr slot's with your bank account.
  • bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685
    Originally posted by Skarecrow7

Ok...how much 800 gems in euros? :)

• MercAngelMercAngel Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by bronecar
    Originally posted by Skarecrow7

Ok...how much 800 gems in euros? :)

not sure it was $10.00US  for 800

Look's like under the GW2 Wiki it will be 10 euro's for 800 gem's.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Bear in mind that Gems can be sold in the in-game auction house, so you will be able to theoretically buy gems for gold in game too.

I too am a person who plays a ton of alts. I will purchase more character slots, but I'll spread it out a bit. Leveling 5 professions first, and then purchasing each additional on a need basis. Hopefully, I can offset some cash cost with gem purchases in game ;)

Originally posted by Kaneth

Bear in mind that Gems can be sold in the in-game auction house, so you will be able to theoretically buy gems for gold in game too.

I too am a person who plays a ton of alts. I will purchase more character slots, but I'll spread it out a bit. Leveling 5 professions first, and then purchasing each additional on a need basis. Hopefully, I can offset some cash cost with gem purchases in game ;)

Sounds like a plan, 10 E per character slot sounds kinda steep :/

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

and 15€/month is cheep, right?

Arenanet only stated that there will be no subs, but not that they dont need to make any money.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Buy low, sell high in the trading post, then buy gem's with ingame gold and that will help offset or remove the need to purchase gem's with euro's.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Arenanet only stated that there will be no subs, but not that they dont need to make any money.

yep and unlike those sub only games (that usually have expensive cash shops alongside the sub, Ahem, WoW, TSW, Arenanet plans on putting out faster and more content then any other title because of their well designed and quick to augment dynamic event system.

loads better then waiting for an expansion for every content update like most games.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    I sort of remember getting 4800 gems for $50, though maybe it's just a bonus from buying in bulk.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Another thing to take into account is that if you do actually plan on spending $60 + (or E) in the gem shop, it might be a wise decision to jsut buy a second copy of the game. That way you get 5 character slots, a holy hell load of bag slots, 30 additional bank slots and probably some other things I'm forgetting.

I think you might already have to spend ~$30 for 3 character slots. So it's at least something to think about.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I have no problem with paying extra, I spend quite a lot of money on games, DLC's and extras.

Come to think of it, 10E may not sound so bad considering the time investment needed to level one character to 80 (was it 80)?

The issue arises because I want to get all 3 slots from the get on :P

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I already have two accounts for launch. I grabbed a digital copy from Arenanet on April 10th and decided to keep a pre-order I made through Amazon last summer.

If I didn't already have a second account, I might hold off until I need the added slots, in the hopes that I might catch a sale on a second copy of the game. If not, the price isn't going to go higher than the retail price, so not losing out on anything.

A second account gets you five more slots and a second account vault for just slightly more than the cost of five add-on character slots. It also gives you a seperate account to work the achievment tracks, which may be a good thing or a bad thing. If you see alts beyond your five basic character slots being something for mostly further down the road, being able to do the achievment tracks all over again may be a good thing. If you see yourself juggling eight alts as early as the first few months, then maybe you'd just want to expand a single account, so all your efforts will be advancing the achievments of the single account.

I see myself playing this game very long term, which aided the decision for a second account. The seperate account vault means I have two vaults I can expand, as needed, via the gem store. There is a limited number of times a vault can be expanded, so it's nice to have a second vault to add onto if you pack up a max expansion vault on the primary account.

No subscription fee makes a second account much more attractive than it would be in a sub game. The only added cost is the second box purchase.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

True, but there's multiple ways of getting gems. You don't need to get them all via paying cash. Really, the only reason to try and get 8 char slots instantly, is if you are worried about the names (which is definitely a valid concern). However, keep in mind that I don't think any games have as many character slots as their are classes. Usually you need to roll on multiple servers in order to achieve that.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by fiontar

I see myself playing this game very long term, which aided the decision for a second account. The seperate account vault means I have two vaults I can expand, as needed, via the gem store. There is a limited number of times a vault can be expanded, so it's nice to have a second vault to add onto if you pack up a max expansion vault on the primary account.

No subscription fee makes a second account much more attractive than it would be in a sub game. The only added cost is the second box purchase.

There's only one other really big problem I see with this idea, which is the difficulty of trading between accounts using the mailing system.

I'd suggest your two accounts start a guild together though,a nd that'd fix that problem (And give you another 50 slots to share, besides that).  I mean, I'm sure you've already thought that out, but other people who are considering the same idea might want to consider the ease of item transference having your own guild bank would give you. :)