Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some Insight on Future Development

RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

While most are interested in information about Awakening, they've given a little insight into the future today, including magic, theivery, patching, and the like:

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/envoy-update-information.76873/

I think the info on magic looks pretty cool, and is an area the game needs to improve.

More regular patches would also be welcome.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Comments

• Got_Game_TVGot_Game_TV Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Magic could have been this game's savior.  The possibility for combos similar to UO's explo/EB/etc would have been amazing.  Dumping would have been more prevalent and I think it would have helped the game overall.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

i prefer the melee focus personally, i hate games were magic is generally OP or has been the flavour of the year. this includes both darkfall and UO. Both games i consider better than MO but i have enjoyed playing MO more than both of them games even though i acknowledge them as being better games which is strange.

i do however think its about time magery and thievery recieved some TLC.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by deathshroud

i prefer the melee focus personally, i hate games were magic is generally OP or has been the flavour of the year. this includes both darkfall and UO. Both games i consider better than MO but i have enjoyed playing MO more than both of them games even though i acknowledge them as being better games which is strange.

I have to agree- I too prefer "low" Magick as opposed to "High" and especially enjoy utility  type spells (non combat)- Thats why I loved LOTR (books not crappy MMO) Magick was there but was rare and even Gandolf used a sword (but my god damn AD&D 2nd edition Wizard couldnt...Bastards...)

Iwould alos love to see ritual Magick placed in a game using an in game calendedr, moon cycles and such. Placing hexes and curses rather than FIREBALL and LIGHTNING seems more "real" to me... Believable anyhow.

• ShyaticShyatic Member Posts: 41

If the game hasn't been updated in 8 months, why would "future" updates even matter, given how long it's taken to get this expansion out?

And nobody knows whether it will be bug free or bug filled yet. I'd just wait and see how Awakening shapes out, honestly the "future" is kind of pointless if they keep producing crap like I've been reading for god knows how long.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

I have to agree- I too prefer "low" Magick as opposed to "High" and especially enjoy utility  type spells (non combat)- Thats why I loved LOTR (books not crappy MMO) Magick was there but was rare and even Gandolf used a sword (but my god damn AD&D 2nd edition Wizard couldnt...Bastards...)

Iwould alos love to see ritual Magick placed in a game using an in game calendedr, moon cycles and such. Placing hexes and curses rather than FIREBALL and LIGHTNING seems more "real" to me... Believable anyhow.

Ritual magic might not necessarily be more believeable, but because it's usually invisible and powerful, it seems more mysterious and perhaps insidious.  Probably needs a little less suspension of disbelief than an overt fireball.

Might be difficult to balance, though, as well as being something that's a little less enjoyable, in that someone that specialized in it might require several of the right people playing simultaneously just to be effective.

I do understand the use of lesser magics in games, but I also agree that I'd like to see some real differences in types.  The elemental-type magic found in most games has little variance between "fire", "air", or "earth", other than some relatively minor secondary effects.  Usually, there isn't a lot more to magic than that, unfortunately.  It would be nice to see something different.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132

The next carrot on a stick. Where is Awakening instead? Or any infos about it? Isn't it 3 weeks before release? And there's no announcement about its content? Does it even exist?

Just like back then when they talked about Awakening right before Dawn because they knew Dawn was going to be absolute rubbish.

They should have called their expansions Yawn and Hastening. What's the next one gonna be called, "This time for real, like srsly!!"?

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

Sorry but I'm not buying a single word from SV...Talk is cheap, let's see what the game offers when this expansion comes out, if it ever does come out...

Anything else is irrelevant, they can tell as much crap as they want they will not do half of what they say, and you know it.

• ShyaticShyatic Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by raff01

Sorry but I'm not buying a single word from SV...Talk is cheap, let's see what the game offers when this expansion comes out, if it ever does come out...

Anything else is irrelevant, they can tell as much crap as they want they will not do half of what they say, and you know it.

Wait, so the expansion they are working on isn't out yet? How do you talk about future development when your current development hasn't even been released?

*shrug*

I'm confused.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    This has been their pattern since day one. They always pump "potential" or what is "planned". I could literally go find posts from YEARS ago where they promised Magic schools were being worked on "soon".

Anyhow good luck with awakening. Whenever it does release it should be interesting.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Shyatic

Wait, so the expansion they are working on isn't out yet? How do you talk about future development when your current development hasn't even been released?

*shrug*

I'm confused.

talk is cheap, thats why

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

*shrug*

I'm confused.

talk is cheap, thats why

hehe good one I admit !

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132

*shrug*

I'm confused.

talk is cheap, thats why

Well I lol'd, but it's now 3 days after this comment.

Have you been banned from the MO forums for this yet? ;)

Originally posted by FastSloth

*shrug*

I'm confused.

talk is cheap, thats why

Well I lol'd, but it's now 3 days after this comment.

Have you been banned from the MO forums for this yet? ;)

for what? i have never been banned?

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

THIS thread speaks volumes.

Before "awakening" was even released they are discussing "future development" i.e. starting more hype about what is coming.

But...But...Now that "awakening" is released and is broken beyond belief, how long until they can even fix what they have? Planning and discussing more , new and better features is great but MO is still missing things from Xpacs of old that were promised and have yet to make 1 single patch work as intended.

MO is the High School slacker kid who cant even wake up in the morning to make it to school on time, is constantly suspended and failing ALL of his classes- Yet keeps talking about what University he is going to choose and what great career he will have ONCE High School is finished.