Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn at Gamescom

Comments

• HumphrieHumphrie Member Posts: 123
    I'm leery, too. But, having said that, it'd be nice to see this thing succeed. I wouldn't mind playing a Final Fantasy MMO if they could do it right. The first was so bad, though, that I stayed away, and then I read the reports about this one and was like 'yup, guess that's not going to work, either.' But maybe 2.0 will salvage the franchise.

As a gamer, what I'm looking for in a Final Fantasy MMO is something that harkens back to FFVI and FFVII (and potentially FFIX). The later games in the series -- VIII and then X onwards -- sucked. They got away from what made Final Fantasy great: a clash of steampunk and high fantasy, airships, wars, etc. That's what I need in a successful FF MMO: the good ol' days.
  • ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    FFXIV's Comeback
  • DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by AliceKaye

Originally posted by elocke
    Did anyone get to play the new version yet?  Or see any gameplay in action?

Hello Elocke,

At their Gamescom presentation, they had either someone playing it firsthand or a video of the gameplay (I'm not sure which). That being said it was not released to the public by SE but in fact, someone with a 480p phone cam did film it.

You can find it here. Admittedly it's crap quality, but what do you expect from a phone cam 10ft away?

Ah, thanks for that. I don't mind the quality, I already know the graphics are not FFXIV's problem in any way. Liking what I see. The UI is fast, you can click and drag equipment, no pause waiting for the UI menus to come up or react. The movement and camera are more what I was looking for when the game launched, up to today's standards, more alive, flowing and comfortable. Only issue I see is the backing up or walking backwards animation is stiff and looks horrible. Hope they fix that. Jump!!!! So nice to see a character jump in FF finally, lol. Now, I'm more excited than I was before. Hopefully we'll be able to start beta testing soon, like before October.
    Yeah, the whole redesign has been tremendously awesome from what I can tell. As far as the animations go, I have no idea if those are solid or not. What I do know, is that this footage they're presenting is from before alpha was even in place (not sure if it even is yet, to be honest). So I'd say, expect some major changes between now and launch.

Originally posted by Homitu

Originally posted by Mildoze
    I beta tested this one, thank god. I played XI back in the day. In fact, that was one of the first mmo's I cut my teeth on. So obviously I fairly excited to get to help test this game. Although, afterwords I was left with a bad taste in my mouth as myself and many others flooded their forums crying words of dissent. Our words were not enough and Square went forward with the launch. I havn't touched the game since, but I do hope they get it together. Who knows, I might be inticed once I'm bored with GW2.... psh, yeah right, "done with GW2". LOL!

It was almost offensive how little they heeded from the beta "testers." I recall one interview with the president behind the FFXIV project shortly after the game's official launch, where the interviewer addressed numerous player issues and concerns. After his questions were translated, the president just laughed and gave an offhand comment, which was promptly translated to mean something along the lines of, "haha, we don't think any of those are problems." It was astonishing at the time and still sticks with me today. Since you brought up GW2, Anet to me has been the polar opposite. Their communication with fans throughout and their implementation of tester feedback has been nothing short of superb. Not to mention the transparency of their development process, the many iterations of each feature of the game, and the design philosophies behind those features.
    Let's face it, Tanaka was a moron. He wasn't think about his customers in any way, shape or form. It was his strange vision of what an MMO should be and it failed, miserably. In fact, it failed so hardcore that apparently his health took a turn for the worse (perhaps stress related) and he quit working altogether.

It seems to me, that under Yoshida's watchful eye that FFXIV 2.0 ARR has quite the possibility of making a massive comeback. It finally looks like an MMO.

Originally posted by Humphrie
    I'm leery, too. But, having said that, it'd be nice to see this thing succeed. I wouldn't mind playing a Final Fantasy MMO if they could do it right. The first was so bad, though, that I stayed away, and then I read the reports about this one and was like 'yup, guess that's not going to work, either.' But maybe 2.0 will salvage the franchise. As a gamer, what I'm looking for in a Final Fantasy MMO is something that harkens back to FFVI and FFVII (and potentially FFIX). The later games in the series -- VIII and then X onwards -- sucked. They got away from what made Final Fantasy great: a clash of steampunk and high fantasy, airships, wars, etc. That's what I need in a successful FF MMO: the good ol' days.

Humphrie, I know that Yoshida said he plans to put many things into the game that harken back to the days of ol' FF. However, bear in mind that this IS an MMO and is not based off of the traditional Final Fantasy games (different races and such), I doubt we will see any actual characters from the original FF games or any of that but if 1.0 that we're playing currently, is any indication of what is to come in 2.0, you will still see tons of steampunk, high fantasy, airships, etc.
    Sorry, for some reason my text editor wasn't working properly, so a lot of this got screwed up. It would only let me write in HTML rather than from the enhanced text editor.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by Ingvar
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl
    Afraid it will need to get some very good reviews or a free trial before I'm even going to consider touching FFXIV again, regardless of promises and hopes.

There will be a free trial when 2.0 launches.

That's a good thing then, I'll probably only show interest if guild mates do however.

Didn't actually buy the game either (luckily), playing it in beta was enough to see how that was a bad idea. We'll see what happens.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Really looking forward to Reborn, I've been playing since May and have had a blast.  Just completed "to kill a Raven" final fight after failing so many times, and now have access to Hard mode.

If your thinking of returning, I would wait for relaunch as you would never be able to complete all the quests and company missions unless you have unlimited time to play.  The story lines lead up to the demise of Eorzea and the reshaping of the world, the Garlean Empire are a nasty bunch of misfits, spaceships now fly above the land in every zone, a red moon hovers the land and threatens to crash into the planet.

Putting aside the subscription I think Reborn will appeal to the masses, if you have a genuine interest in this game then I would do some research and make up your own mind.  Yes the launch of FFXIV was abysmal, should Reborn be measured of that experience? absolutely not.  To think that without making any effort on doing any research is nothing short of dumb.

• HumphrieHumphrie Member Posts: 123
    I'll at least try it. I don't like GW2, WoW is old, TOR was a bust, and TSW simply didn't live up to its potential. There isn't a lot coming down the pike in MMOs right now that I'm all that interested in.
  • TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    As bad as this game was at launch and as long as FF mmo's have had legendary bad UI's no way i would give this dress on a pig of a game another shot.
  • Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170
    If they manage to turn this into a worthy title then i would eagerly jump onboard. i have nothing to say about FF 14 that has not already been said in its current and launch states. I refuse to view the cinematic trailers as they were misleading the first time and will be again, but i will keep up with new info as it becomes available in the hopes that this turns into something worthy of not only my fond memories of final fantasy growing up, but also worthy of my fond memories of all the good MMOs i've played. Should they produce a product superior to FF11 and on par with the rest of the AAA mmo titles out there then i would totally offer them my money once more.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Can you jump yet?

I hated the reasoning the first time around on why it wasn't included....

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    and watcht he video yes you can jump
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Dampyre
    As bad as this game was at launch and as long as FF mmo's have had legendary bad UI's no way i would give this dress on a pig of a game another shot.

Do you actually take time to read anything, or is everything in your world based on assumptions?

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Asamof

square is lucky that they have a niche FF community that will always sub to this game no matter what

you are wrong .

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    The game is looking awesome and I am excited about it. Can't wait to get my hands on the game.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138
    I cant say it enough. I have so much respect for Square Enix for putting so much into turning this game around. I have always been a huge Final Fantasy fan and was extremely disappointed with the initial launch of FFXIV

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134

There can be nothing but possitive things thats going to come from this relaunch. As long as they have a decent marketing campaign before release then this game will do very very good.

The turn around they have done is quite amazing. Well done SE!

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    There is litterally no point to play FFXIV I tried it, the control scheme is litterally the most awkward thing I have ever experienced in a video game.  The questing is also extremely boring and confusing.  Square Enix has just lost how to make good final fantasy games period, let along how to make a MMORPG.
  • DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832
    Originally posted by Angier2758

Can you jump yet?

Yes, you can jump. The reasoning the first time was quite legitimate, their engine could not handle it. Hell, it at times has a hard time handling just loading player characters.

They have designed an engine just for the game, it now includes jump for both player characters AND mounts.

Originally posted by UNH0LYEV1L
    There is litterally no point to play FFXIV I tried it, the control scheme is litterally the most awkward thing I have ever experienced in a video game.  The questing is also extremely boring and confusing.  Square Enix has just lost how to make good final fantasy games period, let along how to make a MMORPG.
    Okay lets take a step back here. Did you... read the article? Oh? No? Okay, let me re-fill you in.

It's an entirely new game. This is not the same game in which you are thinking. They have completely redone it from the ground up. New engine, new graphics, new quest system, new user interface. It now plays more like the MMO's you are used to and it no longer is clunky, awkward, boring or confusing.

Hopefully bold helps you decipher the differences in the new FFXIV 2.0 A Realm Reborn - The game is entirely new. New. Different. Not what it is currently.

Happy MMOing.

Im guesssing you played in 2010? Or maybe you didnt read anyting in the article above besides the FFXIV name? It's a new game bro, wake up its 2012 with a relaunch.

Trolls will be trolls.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by smokedogg311

Im guesssing you played in 2010? Or maybe you didnt read anyting in the article above besides the FFXIV name? It's a new game bro, wake up its 2012 with a relaunch.

Trolls will be trolls.

He's talking about how the game IS, not how it will become in the future. And btw, 2012 brings no relaunch, that won't happen this year. Seems you're the one who didn't read the article. Hint: last paragrahp.

Trolls will indeed be trolls.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by AliceKaye
    Originally posted by Angier2758

Can you jump yet?

Yes, you can jump. The reasoning the first time was quite legitimate, their engine could not handle it. Hell, it at times has a hard time handling just loading player characters.

They have designed an engine just for the game, it now includes jump for both player characters AND mounts.

Okay lets take a step back here. Did you... read the article? Oh? No? Okay, let me re-fill you in.

It's an entirely new game. This is not the same game in which you are thinking. They have completely redone it from the ground up. New engine, new graphics, new quest system, new user interface. It now plays more like the MMO's you are used to and it no longer is clunky, awkward, boring or confusing.

Hopefully bold helps you decipher the differences in the new FFXIV 2.0 A Realm Reborn - The game is entirely new. New. Different. Not what it is currently.

Happy MMOing.

You know what's not new? The company making the game. The same people that made high level mistake after mistake on every inch of the current game. What, they had some epiphany and suddenly understand they were 100% mistaken on everything they claimed was right and now they know with 100% certainty they have it right again!

You can drag that flag around with you all you want. Fool me once.. Or in your case more than once.

BTW - Any company that would build an MMO with an engine that couldn't allow jumping because the engine couldn't handle it has lost their damn mind.

BTW2 - You are gullible as hell if you REALLY think that was why. 

BTW3 - Man didn't really land on the moon.

BTW4 - Zombies are real and will soon take over the planet.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

As a few pointed out they changed the current grind system with a quest based leveling system. I personally fail to see how grinding quests is different than grinding anything else. Not bashing the new FXIV as this is a problem with almost every current MMO out there. Quest based systems with short 5 minutes quests will typicall fragment the community into a million pieces of individual soloers who occassionaly find someone to group with for 5 to 10 minutes at a time to push through something difficult. It becomes near impossible to hunt with anyone over a longterm as everyone ends up on a completely different set of quests at any given moment in time unless you are real dedicated to only playing when your friends are online at the exact same time every day.

I would much rather have a system in which quests give 0 xp rewards and only give items/money/prestige or faction depending on what is suitable for a particular game. You can give bonus for finishing dungeons or solving an overarching storyline or something along those lines where someone just "grinding" mobs will advance at the same pace as someone "grinding" quests and where both styles of play can interchange and intersect at any time.

• AstrinaAstrina Member UncommonPosts: 46

I played the previous one and to me, the interface broke the game. I truly hope they make it MUCH more PC friendly.  Plus, their quest system was terrible and their player market...I can't even find the words for how awful that was.  If they fix those type of issues, I am ALL about giving them another try.

Originally posted by Netspook
    Originally posted by smokedogg311

Trolls will be trolls.

He's talking about how the game IS, not how it will become in the future. And btw, 2012 brings no relaunch, that won't happen this year. Seems you're the one who didn't read the article. Hint: last paragrahp.

Trolls will indeed be trolls.

2012 WILL bring the relaunch. This game will be playable to the public for the PC before 2013 comes. For PS3? Then yes the game will be out around January or so for it but i wouldnt call it even a relaunch for PS3 since it was never released for it. I took the bait and accept being trolled on this.

• MrMonroseMrMonrose Member UncommonPosts: 4

I would love to try this game, always wanted to give it a shot, I was so deep into WoW nothing else mattered.  I've finally had my fill of WoW, for a couple years now.  So I hope they do a good job.

I do wish they would offer game time cards.  I am tired of using my credit card to pay for game time. Also with SOE's history of security, lack there of a game card I believe is essential.

Got my fingers crossed.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    #1 game I am looking foward to. This actually looks like a real mmo and I have not seen that in a very long time.