Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about accounts and alts being vissible/known to others

XtenXten Member Posts: 119

I have been wondering about this for quit some time now. In GW2 if you add someone to your friendslist they will automatically be able to see your alts as well or at least i have seen this feature being described several times so far.

Now my question is can this be turned off in any way because i do not want everyone to be aware of my alts. I ussualy play every mmo with my GF but sometimes when we have a fight or anything like that (doesnt happen THAT much kay :) and i want to play i rather play on a alt or sometimes i just dont want to be bothered by anyone and just fool around for a bit in a game on my own.

I cant do that when everyone is automatically notified of all the alts on my account.

P.S why is my avatar not showing up in the forum , is there a minimum post count for that?

Comments

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

2nd I didn't look at it why i was ingame but not only was i in the same party when i loged int the stress test with a different char,but he knew right away what char i was on and my ingame name. 

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    You can set yourself as invisible from the character selection screen and you won't appear online in your contact list.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• rachmat19rachmat19 Member Posts: 29
    I think you can actually choose to go online as invisible... Not sure where it is with the new patcher, but with the old one where you sign in in-game, it is definitely there...
  • AdmiralWolverineAdmiralWolverine Member UncommonPosts: 29
    You can set yourself as invisible so no one can see you online ( like you can in GW1 ) and  i think the feature of being able to see a friends alts is passed from GW1 to GW2 since it was a pretty good feature instead of adding all of your friends characters...

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by seridan
    You can set yourself as invisible from the character selection screen and you won't appear online in your contact list.

Yep, and it works according to my mates.  I can sneak in and have fun all by myself!

;}

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by vmoped

Yep, and it works according to my mates.  I can sneak in and have fun all by myself!

;}

Cheers!

Yeah it works, I tested it as well. Now I wonder if you can "un-represent" a guild.....

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119

Thank you for that answer.

That is at least something but i supose everyone on your FL is still aware of your alts and their level right?

I really dont see why i am forced  to make my entire account known to anyone. A simple option to disable this should be easy to implement and would not harm anyone.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Xten

Thank you for that answer.

That is at least something but i supose everyone on your FL is still aware of your alts and their level right?

They can't see your alts unless you log in with them without being invisible.

I really dont see why i am forced  to make my entire account known to anyone. A simple option to disable this should be easy to implement and would not harm anyone.

I don't see how you are forced to make your entire account known to "anyone". As it is now, you only make it known to people you trust (friends and guild), and even then, you can hide characters from them by always logging them in as "invisible"...

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Now I wonder if you can "un-represent" a guild.....
    You can.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Setup a fake email address, buy a second account, download a voice changer and send your connection though a proxy. Nobody will ever know you are impersonating your little sister.

All die, so die well.

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237
    I worry about the visibility of your username for a different reason. If it is so readily visible, you lose a second layer of account protection (i.e. they have to guess both your username AND your password).

I wish it would just use whatever character name you joined the guild on, then display alts from there. I don't want people to know my account name.
  • XtenXten Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Originally posted by Xten
    Thank you for that answer. That is at least something but i supose everyone on your FL is still aware of your alts and their level right?  They can't see your alts unless you log in with them without being invisible. I really dont see why i am forced  to make my entire account known to anyone. A simple option to disable this should be easy to implement and would not harm anyone.

I don't see how you are forced to make your entire account known to "anyone". As it is now, you only make it known to people you trust (friends and guild), and even then, you can hide characters from them by always logging them in as "invisible"...

I really dont see the point of that response, i think i made it quite clear that i am aware of the fact that it shows to people on your FL and just because people are on my FL does not mean i should be forced to have them know about any alt i make.

And people i trust? In any mmo i have people on my FL for a lot more reasons then for the simple fact that i trust them and im sure i am not just speaking for myself when i say that because in a international online game that would leave no one but the people i know in real life and i would not have a need for a in game FL in that case.
    And who says i trust everyone in the guild i am in ? why would i have anyone that i not know that joins my guild at any given time have knowledge about the alts i have ? I see more reasons for not wanting that.
    I dont see a good reason why i cannot just turn this off in its entirety
  • jenseajensea Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Logging in as "Invisible" is all fine and dandy ... until that one time you forget ...